Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Dr.Oblivious posted:

So I'm a bit confused, Steam says the game comes out on the 13th, yet the unlock timer says there is still 27 hours on it. So is it coming out on the 13th or the 14th?

It comes out on May 14th, midnight EST. If you are on west coast it'll show up as coming out on the 13th at 9pm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xenomrph posted:

It even did REDACTED before Bioshock Infinite made it cool. :v:

I know this was unintentional but try to refrain spoiling other games that have similar endings (especially one that is as storyline-heavy as bioshock). I really regret looking at a spoiler for a game I didn't care about :(

bef fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 13, 2013

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Xenomrph posted:

It looks like it's actually a little cheaper to get a digital copy than a print copy. Who'da thunk?

I also didn't realize that the guy who directed 'Stalker' (based on 'Roadside Picnic') also directed the Russian version of 'Solaris'. Small world, I guess. :shobon:

I even own the STALKER games on Steam, got them on some Summer/Christmas sale X number of years ago for a song and still haven't tried them out. Maybe playing through Metro 2033/Last Light will motivate me to keep the Russian crazy-train rolling.

That reminds me, there was some Russian survival horror zombie mod for Half Life 1 or 2 that was zombie-themed and it was really atmospheric and surprisingly well put together for a mod. I'll have to dig around and see if I can remember the name.

Is it worth it to play the game with Russian audio and English subtitles? Is it even an option?

You can get Roadside Picnic here at the bottom for free. I'm assuming it's okay since it's on Wikipedia...: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadside_Picnic

The mod you are thinking of is this: http://paranoia.level-design.ru/index_eng.htm

Neat atmosphere but the firefights are kind of bad... I think it was hitscan enemies but I played it years ago. Same developer as Cry of Fear.

And yes you can play Metro 2033 with Russian VA and subtitles. Nice but no subs for the small talk on the side (might be fixed with a mode).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

bef posted:

I know this was unintentional but try to refrain spoiling other games that have similar endings (especially one that is as storyline-heavy as bioshock). I really regret looking at a spoiler for a game I didn't care about :(
I thought I was pretty safe spoiling it the way I did - the spoiler related to both Bioshock and Singularity, and I tagged it in a way that it's not plot/item/gameplay specific for either game, just that the two games have something in common.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

And I know it's not a strictly "Russian" game like STALKER/Metro 2033 are, but I loved the poo poo out of 'Singularity'. It was basically Wolfenstein: Soviet Russia Edition and I played the poo poo out of it. It even did (spoiler was here)

Not cool dude, this is a really stupid way to write this spoiler. I moused over because I already played Singularity and you just spoiled Infinite massively. Please edit this.

*edit: spoiler gone from my quote as well

the black husserl fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 13, 2013

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

the black husserl posted:

Not cool dude, this is a really stupid way to write this spoiler. I moused over because I already played Singularity and you just spoiled Infinite massively. Please edit this.
I removed the spoiler entirely. Sorry about that, I did actually put thought into the spoiler before I wrote it because I knew I had to be careful wording it, and I guess I didn't put enough thought. :saddowns:

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
God dammit, I avoided Bioshock Infinite spoilers this entire time only to finally get spoiled in a Metro thread. And I was 2/3 of the way through the game. :smith:

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
I think you'll find that spoiler makes very little difference to the ending you're about to see.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm finally gonna give metro 2033 a try. I've totally not noticed the metro series until this thread, so I'm pretty excited about the next week in terms of video games. Finally gonna put my 7950 to use instead of wasting all that money for what turned out to be 24/7 skyrim/minecraft addiction.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

RentACop posted:

I thought the Patton Oswalt thing was a joke. I mean I like the guy well enough, just, huh

I know exactly how you feel.

Kind of similar to my feelings on them shoe-horning him into the last few episodes of Justified this past season.

One episode was enough, but he just kept showing up all squinty eyed

Charlie Brown
Oct 4, 2000

Infiltrates Your Skull

JebanyPedal posted:

The guy who directed Stalker is one of the most influential filmmakers of his generation and is considered one of the best directors to have ever touched film.

Tarkovskiy was amazing.
If anyone on here hasn't heard of him, he's definitely worth checking out.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Charlie Brown posted:

Tarkovskiy was amazing.
If anyone on here hasn't heard of him, he's definitely worth checking out.

This. The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series make for fun games but the Tarkovsky Stalker movie is little short of incredible.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Final infodump from the Community Manager:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/43160/discussions/0/810924134054557610/

And for PC users, a detailed breakdown of the graphical settings:

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/metro-last-light-graphics-breakdown-and-performance-guide

T-minus 12 hours.

ed: Updated Nvidia drivers may be found here:

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-320-14-beta-drivers-released

Leb fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 13, 2013

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
PCGamer UK review. "A game that sometimes forgets you want to play it".

Haven't looked at the details (going into 2033 completely blind was the main reason I loved it so much) but this might tip anyone over who's on the fence about it.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

The whole Ranger DLC debacle really is unfortunate, as most of the 7/8 reviews cite the absence of resource scarcity as evidence that the game has abandoned its hardcore roots -- but of course, they're not playing on Ranger mode, because it wasn't made available to reviewers.

Deep Silver should really consider pulling a CDPR and releasing Ranger Mode for free somewhere down the line.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah, it's too bad. I enjoyed the first one but I just can't talk myself into rewarding this sort of thing so I guess I'm going to pass on this one. What the gently caress is wrong with Deep Silver?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Irony.or.Death posted:

Yeah, it's too bad. I enjoyed the first one but I just can't talk myself into rewarding this sort of thing so I guess I'm going to pass on this one. What the gently caress is wrong with Deep Silver?

That's apparently all THQ's fault and Deep Silver got publishing rights of the game too late to change things.

e: http://steamcommunity.com/app/43160/discussions/0/810924134054557610/

Source is the community manager's last info dump.

Charlie Brown
Oct 4, 2000

Infiltrates Your Skull
Total Biscuit has a video up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWimz-duun8

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

havenwaters posted:

That's apparently all THQ's fault and Deep Silver got publishing rights of the game too late to change things.

Interesting. Sounds completely absurd from an outsider perspective, but I suppose if I've learned anything about the legal side of video game publishing it is usually completely absurd. I hope they can find a (free, because come the gently caress on) way to get it to everyone at some point post-release so I can give them money.

Charlie Brown
Oct 4, 2000

Infiltrates Your Skull

havenwaters posted:

Wow, the comments remind me about why I avoid the Steam forums.

Gimperial
Oct 5, 2006

And then there was silence...

Xenomrph posted:

Is it worth it to play the game with Russian audio and English subtitles? Is it even an option?

You can, yeah, however the translations are a bit off, but then again if you don't understand the Russian, it's not a big loss!

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
My friend gifted the preoder to me, I still get ranger mode and stuff, right?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

I'm a little bit disappointed that the Nvidia promotion codes are the standard edition but oh well.

I'll just get ranger mode 6 months later or something.

E: As for the pre-order stuff so long as it was a gift from steam or just someone tossing you the codes from GMG (and there was more than one steam code), yes you get ranger mode. The only version you can buy on steam until release is the limited edition.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Xenomrph posted:

You can in the first game, but it was just too distracting to need to look at the bottom of the screen whenever someone was talking. So I switched back to the English VO. If you don't have this problem, then go right ahead.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Irony.or.Death posted:

Interesting. Sounds completely absurd from an outsider perspective, but I suppose if I've learned anything about the legal side of video game publishing it is usually completely absurd. I hope they can find a (free, because come the gently caress on) way to get it to everyone at some point post-release so I can give them money.

Yeah. There is another post by the same community manager saying they kept it in as a pre-order incentive and it didn't have anything to do with THQ.

They own the IP, THQ is defunct. Deep Silver can now do whatever they want with this "DLC".

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Does he really spend 15 minutes condemning 4A for the pre-order content which has been the industry standard for god knows how long?

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Dr.Oblivious posted:

Does he really spend 15 minutes condemning 4A for the pre-order content which has been the industry standard for god knows how long?

Just the typical tempest in a VDNKh mushroom teapot. At least he has the decency to do so in his adorable British accent. And he does go on to say that he really, really likes MLL.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dr.Oblivious posted:

I'm surprised it isn't a 40 minute video complaining about the FoV.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Dr.Oblivious posted:

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm surprised it isn't a 40 minute video complaining about the FoV.

He does pretty much both. Also, looks like being youtube rich allows you to run titans in sli.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Is there any indication of if the multipule endings will be less arbitrary and ridiculous to get?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Anatharon posted:

Is there any indication of if the multipule endings will be less arbitrary and ridiculous to get?

I never understood this. I got the good ending on my first time through, without even realizing there was a morality system. You get most of the points from just exploring, so I guess people didn't do that?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
My review went live an hour ago, so I guess I can go ahead and talk about this now.

I'm looking forward to the audience reaction to the inclusion of the lap dance in the Venice station. That took me completely by surprise. "Huh, I can interact with this girl. I wonder what--" :stare:

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Charlie Brown posted:

Wow, the comments remind me about why I avoid the Steam forums.

I liked the thread where the guy was all worried about the horrible review from PC Gamer. You know, the 80% one.

What is wrong with kids where anything less than a 9/10 is atrocious?

VVV Edit: Looking in an old issue of PCGamer from the '90s, their scale worked like so: 90-100 was an instant classic, 80-89 was excellent, 70-79 was very good, 60-69 was good, 50-59 was fair, 40-49 below average, and 39 and below was "don't bother" territory.

TerminalSaint fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 13, 2013

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Industry working on the 7-10 scale. When a game is rated 5/10 and the review reads like the game is the worst game in the history of the medium then something is wrong. Was there ever a time when 5/10 was average in the gaming press?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

TerminalSaint posted:

I liked the thread where the guy was all worried about the horrible review from PC Gamer. You know, the 80% one.

What is wrong with kids where anything less than a 9/10 is atrocious?

Now that I've read the review I'm pretty surprised it only got an 8/10, and also what happened to them doing a XX% number.

Like there's a pretty big difference between an 88% and an 80% and I suppose they would both technically be an 8/10.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Jimbot posted:

Industry working on the 7-10 scale. When a game is rated 5/10 and the review reads like the game is the worst game in the history of the medium then something is wrong. Was there ever a time when 5/10 was average in the gaming press?

There are two issues here that tend to coincide.

One is that a lot of games reviewers tend to think in terms of the American grading system, where anything below a 70 is an increasingly stark failure.

The other is Metacritic. 1UP ran into a lot of problems with the Metacritic average early on, and I had some problems of my own back in the day when I worked at a games magazine. Game publishers will complain if your review tanks their product's Metacritic average, and while most of them don't go to Atari-style lengths to punish a transgression, it can create serious issues when it's time to negotiate the advertising buys or review copies. You can get away with using the entire scale if you're writing for something like EDGE which doesn't tend to run a lot of straight-up game ads, but for 90% of the games press that you've ever heard of, it's a tightrope walk.

There have been attempts to break out of the system, like Crispy Gamer, but they tend to be doomed due to the difficulty of making a profit off that kind of thing.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Really looking forward to unlocking this tonight, and then probably actually playing it tomorrow.

Wanderer posted:

My review went live an hour ago, so I guess I can go ahead and talk about this now.

I'm looking forward to the audience reaction to the inclusion of the lap dance in the Venice station. That took me completely by surprise. "Huh, I can interact with this girl. I wonder what--" :stare:

Based on the first game I am betting it involves Artyom losing all his money somehow

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I gave up on 2033 because reloading after using a gas mask filter would still leave that filter subtracted from the inventory. Do I need to pre-order this to get Ranger mode? Can't imagine playing without it.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Wanderer posted:

The most true and real interaction with women in general happens in the first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

floor is lava posted:

The most true and real interaction with women in general happens in the first game.

Is this an MRA style "women use their sex wiles to steal honest men's money" or are you making a joke that I am not getting? The only other woman in 2033 I remember is the little kid's mother and she has like 2 lines.

• Locked thread