Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Party Plane Jones posted:

The problem is it doesn't really leave the series a way to go forward with the Artyom storyline so they'll probably choose the good ending if they're making another Artyom game.

I mentioned that 2033 Redux now features Anna and your son running around during the game menu sequence (I don't think it did originally), Artyom's clearly writing his memoirs there too, so yeah, him living is the canon. I don't care about that either way, but I was bugged by the canonical ending they chose for 2033.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
You're teaching him to be better than his enemies. If you tell him to murder people who tried to murder him, or murdered all of his friends family, or that's cool to let him die from his own actions, you're basically encouraging the little bastard to leave you to die, stop helping you, or outright kill you. Since you pretty much set a speedrun record for genocide.

I really liked the moral system in 2033, since a lot of it wasn't doing things but giving some spare bullets out, listening to things, or watching things play out. Last Light does it the same way, except there are just shitloads of points everywhere. 2033 was a lot less in your face with it's points and actions.

On throwing knives: All enemies who aware and in combat take dramatically less damage. Most will still go down to a single knife or hellsing bolt, but a few, especially the heavily armored enemies, will take additional one or two. Watchmen, for instance, on Ranger Hardcore, take a single hellsing bolt mid-combat, and two throwing knives.

The only thing I dislike about Ranger mode is that it only gives you two slots for guns, when the game has so many I'd like to use, but it sucks having only two guns. I tend to carry the suppressed, possibly night-sighted revolver, and a shotgun, either a long-barrel shambler or the saiga with drum mag. I almost never carry an assault rifle, despite the copious amounts of 5.45 laying around the metro, because it's inferior to the revolver for being sneaky in every way, is slightly more useful in ohshit combat, but only against people. Against mutants, it ultimately falters compared to a shotgun or the pistols ability to rip a mutants head off.

Something I've noticed in peacewalker is that killing nosalsies mid-jump tends to make them magnatized to distant objects, propelling them across the room at high speed. Which is fantastic.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
Pavel can and always will stay trapped in that arm forest as far as I'm concerned.

No mercy for Judas :emo:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Saint Sputnik posted:

I mentioned that 2033 Redux now features Anna and your son running around during the game menu sequence (I don't think it did originally), Artyom's clearly writing his memoirs there too, so yeah, him living is the canon. I don't care about that either way, but I was bugged by the canonical ending they chose for 2033.

They specifically said it was because that was the ending more people got, but that seems like a lovely basis since obviously it's way easier to get, especially the first time, and a lot of people probably won't beat it more than once.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's also the way the book ends, and leads to an interesting sequel hook.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fag Boy Jim posted:

It's also the way the book ends, and leads to an interesting sequel hook.

The best part about the book version's ending is that the missiles were already fired when the Dark Ones contact Artyom again and he figures out that they've been trying to communicate peacefully the whole time. The moment he realizes they just want peace the missiles impact. Artyom also only kills a single person in the book (a Nazi) and it fucks with him for most of the rest of it. Khan's an even weirder dude in the book too. He thinks he's the last reincarnation of Genghis Khan.

The ammo system is from the book too. My favorite part of it is how at first Artyom muses on how people are essentially trading lives for food and clothing, going so far as to remark "a special! Only 100 lives for this leather coat!". After he kills the Nazi, he doesn't think anything about trading nearly every bullet he has for some food and booze. The game's bleak but it's got nothing on the novel.

If anyone is interested, Metro 2034 was translated into English a while ago. It's not as good as 2033 was, but it's much better translated. A bit more hopeful too.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I think committing genocide is the better canon ending, as the sequel is very good in being about guilt, remorse, and redemption. I'd love to know what the plan for Last Light would've been if Artoym had saved the Dark Ones instead.

Book chat: the book is even more mystical and magical about the weird poo poo than happens in the metro. Khan especially. There's all kinds of weird poo poo in the tunnels, and even more stories of the weird poo poo in the tunnels. It's like the force is when it's just obi-wan's crazy old wizard religion.

Polis is somewhat less about the rangers and more about the reliquary of knowledge there and the Stalkers grabbing stuff from the surface. They're also a lot less casual for going to the surface. Oh, and Polis has actual lighting, so visitors wear sunglasses so their eyes aren't hurt by the light that's much, much stronger than the rest of the metro.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I wonder if the game could've been made better if it featured Max Payne style narration, comic strips optional. The 100 lives for this leather coat! would've been one hell of a line to include into the game, and would allow for a lot more exposition.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Actually that line is in Metro 2033. Before you leave your home station for the first time, there are a couple of guys in the marketplace area chatting about Kalashnikov and how proud he was of his invention, and that wasn't it weird for someone to be proud of creating the the best impliment of murder. The other guy comments on now they use those bullets to buy things, so they're paying for things with human lives. A piece of meat, only 5 lives, a leather coat, a hundred lives...

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

There are a ton of great conversations in the background of Metro 2033, most of them taken from the book. I made a video with some of the easier-to-miss conversations from the original game, spoilers obviously. My favorite is definitely the story about the tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYYFexAMBaw&t=134s

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

your evil twin posted:

Actually that line is in Metro 2033. Before you leave your home station for the first time, there are a couple of guys in the marketplace area chatting about Kalashnikov and how proud he was of his invention, and that wasn't it weird for someone to be proud of creating the the best impliment of murder. The other guy comments on now they use those bullets to buy things, so they're paying for things with human lives. A piece of meat, only 5 lives, a leather coat, a hundred lives...

I remembered the bit about Kalashnikov, but I don't remember that last bit. I could only think of one of Artyom's pre-mission monologues "It only takes one bullet to take a life".

These games are just oozing in atmosphere and story. And the music is great, the gunplay is great, now Redux is here both of them have fantastic stealth. I only dislike fighting any of the monsters, they aren't anywhere as fun as the human enemies. Metro probably has the best human enemies in gaming, one group distracted me by talking about the "Metro 2" which I assume is D6, which made me not notice the Nazi walking right next to me. Bloody fantastic series.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah, Metro-2 is kind of D6 and also a myth that there's a second Metro/fallout shelter for the higher-ups that has a lot more food/shelter/amenities. There's a lot of that in the books too, stuff like the tank, secret Metro stations, or thoughts that other cities' metros or shelters might also be around, maybe the other side of the war wasn't as totally obliterated as Russia, musings about a nuclear sub that could still exist similar to the tank, and a town up near the arctic circle that may or may not have been made up but probably was. Basically no one wants to believe they're the last of humanity because no one can stand what humanity has been reduced to in the Metro. A lot of the book is basically just musings on modern-day Russia as well.

The other big change is that in the books, pretty much every single mutant or anomaly is psychic, instead of just the Dark Ones. It's heavily hinted that the nosalis-equivalent communicate with each other through telepathy and between that, the Kremlin, and other things was the early clue-in that the Dark Ones aren't actively trying to hurt anyone.

e: How is it even possible to get 210 MGR for the volt driver so early? Selling everything I've got firing nothing in Ranger I get 180. It's super easy to rescue the Reds now too. I guess because you can't save them without killing anyone in the original. The whole Nazi side is easier actually. They added parts to slip right through. It was the hardest part of Ranger for me on the 360.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 3, 2014

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I actually just got done playing through Last Light Redux. Finally got the good ending, though the game waits to tell you until the last possible moment (the little one stops artyom from flipping the switch the moment his hand touches it. I liked that in the bad ending, too, the bad guys are so cocky artyom can crawl to it and blow everyone to hell without any qte poo poo)

I don't mind the mutants so much, but maybe that's just because I've got mad headshot skills or something. I do dislike them in the forced combat parts when you don't have much of a say in the not fighting, but whenever you can hide, sneak, or stealth 'em I like them a lot more. Parts of the catacombs, sometimes on the surface, the surface bits in the later half of the game when you're not constantly at war. Basically when they're not being violent murder monsters, and acting like actual animals. Spider Bugs are also interesting, except they are goddamned terrifying.

They've got nothing on the human enemies though. Ghosting areas and knocking out everyone, or killing everyone without raising alarm is always pretty fun, and actual firefights can be pretty tense and hectic, but it seems like in the Redux that enemies can lose you, and you can resume sneakily shooting them in the face.

Also, i've finally been reading Artyom's diary in Last Light, and it kinda seems like saving the D6 may not be the smartest idea. Every vault just contains more weapons. D6 wasn't built to save anyone, it was to kill everyone else. Also raises questions about the Dark Ones trapped inside of it.

My favorite part about the guys talking about the Metro-2, Invisible Watchers, and etc is that when going to D6 with Uhlman and Miller, Uhlman starts teasing Miller with it. loving love Uhlman. I'm sorta disappointed the Cult Of The Great Worm never made it into the game in any form. Seems like it would've worked well.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I totally killed Letnitsky and a WHOLE BUNCH of Nazis/Red Army guys, and still got the good ending. Not sure where this "You can't kill anybody" line is coming from.

Did the same in Dishonored, killed pretty much all of them but Sokolov/the main baddy and still got the good ending. And I killed all guards who broke me out of stealth, and was really bad at stealth.

Do you guys just hunt down every single NPC in the game to murder them/kick puppies as you beat the game or something? I can't even figure out how you'd get the bad ending in some of these games, unless you take a seriously eye for an eye approach on all the choices.

e: And the good ending to Last Light has always been canon. Arytom is speaking in past tense when writing his 2033 memoirs, and is obviously a retired Ranger by that point. He couldn't have told that story if he died.

And the ending to 2033 was also forced canon by the books themselves. The books end with Artyom launching the nukes, and the second they hit realizing the Dark Ones are force evolved humans who survived the nukes trying to restablish contact with the Metro inhabitants, but not being able to figure out how. This is why he feels so guilty about it in Last Light.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 3, 2014

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I'm really looking forward to the Metro 2035 book, which is gonna be the book version of Last Light, basically.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I'm really enjoying 2033 redux, but have run into two really annoying crashes in a row (the modded shambler crash, and a crash when I was creeping across the bridge).

Also I don't know if I have a new monitor or hosed up the brightness settings, but the bridge is a poo poo ton more bright than I remember it being.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The canon ending being the good ending makes a lot of sense for that reason. Especially considering 2033s new main menu. I liked the boom explosions ending though. does the book outright state they are evolved humans though? I dont remember that detail.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Is it me, or is D6 easier, but also kind of lamer? I remember there being weird hard to damage pods on the floor, and also turning on the reactor killing that... thingy. Am I wrong? Also, got the good ending without really trying. I wonder if they lowered the point count, it seems easier than I remember.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
No, D6 is a lot easier, the spawners in the vanilla game kept pooping dudes out till you killed them and they took half a mag of MGR to take them out. Now they just drop 1 dude and you can kill them with 1 round so the difficulty level dropped a ton.

And the reasons some folks find it hard to get the good ending in LL is they miss all the morale points you get from just listening to each conversation and exploring every nook and cranny. If you do that its fairly easy to get the good ending even being a murder machine.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Do any of the weapons from Last Light make it into 2033 Redux? I could swear I saw the single-barrelled shotgun at some point but I might be mistaken.

I need to try some different guns other than revolver/Kalash/Shambler. I guess the Shambler's not all that great anyway, since it takes so long to reload. I've been eaten by Nosalis during the reload animation a couple of times.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The only guns to appear from Last Light in 2033 Redux are the Bigun (the weird shotgun revolver), the AKSU, and the Flamer (which replaces the flamethrower turret in D6's entry section).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I wanted the Valve so bad. :smith:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Volt Driver is still my jam. And now it has attachments!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The Bigun is an excellent replacement for the Shambler. I suppose the AKSU appears in Ranger mode?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Azran posted:

The Bigun is an excellent replacement for the Shambler. I suppose the AKSU appears in Ranger mode?

I saw it in a shop in Armory, though I stuck with the Kalash.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The Bigun is an easier to load less powerful Shambler.

Dunno if it's in Spartan mode, but I saw the AKSU at Armory and Polis on Ranger.

I still feel like the Kalash/2012 is really not that great after Polis, really only a good anti-human weapon, or good against mutants at a distance.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dogen posted:

The Bigun is an easier to load less powerful Shambler.

Dunno if it's in Spartan mode, but I saw the AKSU at Armory and Polis on Ranger.

I still feel like the Kalash/2012 is really not that great after Polis, really only a good anti-human weapon, or good against mutants at a distance.

It blows through ammo to kill mutants with the AK but it works out way better for me than the sawed-off for killing them. I have the revolver as a mini-sniper again though so later on I'll have room to swap the ak out. I just wish I had had those thirty extra MGR to afford the driver. And I thought I grabbed everything there was. :(

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

SpookyLizard posted:

The canon ending being the good ending makes a lot of sense for that reason. Especially considering 2033s new main menu. I liked the boom explosions ending though. does the book outright state they are evolved humans though? I dont remember that detail.

In their failed communications/as they are dying they show Arytom pictures of the world before. IE their own memories of their past lives, back when they were human. They are the people who got left on the surface, mutated through the nuclear conflict/biological attacks across the city. ( the Kremlin for example was hit by a strange chemical agent that when mixed with the nuclear strikes created the Bioform. In the books it lulls all nearby survivors to it, then sings to them so they fall asleep/can be absorbed. )

It's also why they never attack anybody in the books/game. Why would they want to kill humans, they are probably so excited they found other survivors :smith:.

Remember all those bits in 2033 when Arytom suddenly see's the past? It's not because he's crazy/the world is broken. It's a nearby Dark One trying to tell him something, but only able to telepathically communicate ideas/memories.

In the novel the question of what they are is split in two parts. Khan thinks they are supersoldiers designed to survive a nuclear apocalypse, which is why they are in D6 ( the problem being they are pacifists who dislike killing ). Arytom thinks they are the people of the surface, and the Dark Ones in D6 are the former soldiers/politicians of Russia who attempted to hide in a "safe" location which was anything but. Either way they are obviously human.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 4, 2014

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Rookersh posted:

In their failed communications/as they are dying they show Arytom pictures of the world before. IE their own memories of their past lives, back when they were human. They are the people who got left on the surface, mutated through the nuclear conflict/biological attacks across the city. ( the Kremlin for example was hit by a strange chemical agent that when mixed with the nuclear strikes created the Bioform. In the books it lulls all nearby survivors to it, then sings to them so they fall asleep/can be absorbed. )

It's also why they never attack anybody in the books/game. Why would they want to kill humans, they are probably so excited they found other survivors :smith:.

Remember all those bits in 2033 when Arytom suddenly see's the past? It's not because he's crazy/the world is broken. It's a nearby Dark One trying to tell him something, but only able to telepathically communicate ideas/memories.

In the novel the question of what they are is split in two parts. Khan thinks they are supersoldiers designed to survive a nuclear apocalypse, which is why they are in D6 ( the problem being they are pacifists who dislike killing ). Arytom thinks they are the people of the surface, and the Dark Ones in D6 are the former soldiers/politicians of Russia who attempted to hide in a "safe" location which was anything but. Either way they are obviously human.

It has been too, too long since I read that novel. I should do so again. I do remember Khan's explanation of the ghosts which I loved and still love: that there are so few bodies on the earth, souls cannot reincarnate into new life, remaining forever stranded where they died.

Althought in 2033/Last Light other people experience the same hallucinations at points (like Pavel in the plane) so it doesn't always seem to be the best explanation. Though one could argue that Artyom is acting like the "Common Wire" as Khan calls him and passing the experience onto Pavel. Though you always hear stories of OTHER people having similar experiences (and, indeed, the plane is full of dead Stalkers who did not survive the experience, and at that point, there are no more Dark Ones out and about other than the little one). Though I suppose it holds true for the most part, because the ones where Artyom is walking amongst the past, full of people like everything is okay, there are always Dark One's nearby, or he's with the little one. It's easy to forget/miss the Dark One's who pop up occasionally in the Dead City levels of 2033.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

It blows through ammo to kill mutants with the AK but it works out way better for me than the sawed-off for killing them. I have the revolver as a mini-sniper again though so later on I'll have room to swap the ak out. I just wish I had had those thirty extra MGR to afford the driver. And I thought I grabbed everything there was. :(

You can get one for free at the outdoor base. Sucks you don't get a free one anymore early on.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

SpookyLizard posted:

It has been too, too long since I read that novel. I should do so again. I do remember Khan's explanation of the ghosts which I loved and still love: that there are so few bodies on the earth, souls cannot reincarnate into new life, remaining forever stranded where they died.

Althought in 2033/Last Light other people experience the same hallucinations at points (like Pavel in the plane) so it doesn't always seem to be the best explanation. Though one could argue that Artyom is acting like the "Common Wire" as Khan calls him and passing the experience onto Pavel. Though you always hear stories of OTHER people having similar experiences (and, indeed, the plane is full of dead Stalkers who did not survive the experience, and at that point, there are no more Dark Ones out and about other than the little one). Though I suppose it holds true for the most part, because the ones where Artyom is walking amongst the past, full of people like everything is okay, there are always Dark One's nearby, or he's with the little one. It's easy to forget/miss the Dark One's who pop up occasionally in the Dead City levels of 2033.

To be fair, the plane was a horrific event, and it could have created some sort of psychic warp of sorts there that draws people in.

Children's playgrounds, hospitals, seeing cars drive around, etc. Those are not a psychic warp. They are a memory.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
It seems more like Artyom just has fewer side effects, all the times where everyone is caught in an anomaly he's the one capable of continuing to function or the first to recover. You could give quite a few reasons for that to occur as well.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Rookersh posted:

To be fair, the plane was a horrific event, and it could have created some sort of psychic warp of sorts there that draws people in.

Children's playgrounds, hospitals, seeing cars drive around, etc. Those are not a psychic warp. They are a memory.

Yeah. That's actually a really good explanation.

Sphrin posted:

It seems more like Artyom just has fewer side effects, all the times where everyone is caught in an anomaly he's the one capable of continuing to function or the first to recover. You could give quite a few reasons for that to occur as well.

If one were to say that these things 'feed' on people, the things that make it difficult for the dark ones to talk to people could be the same things that make people fall victim to them.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 4, 2014

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Holy poo poo, there are spiders in 2033. :gonk:

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

Azran posted:

Holy poo poo, there are spiders in 2033. :gonk:

Don't worry, they also put one single spider-infested lootable corpse in the game, just to gently caress with you.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Not just spiders, spider bugs. Vicious, evil, makes-the-same-sound-as-a-scooby-doo-villain spiderbugs.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Yup. I meant THOSE spiders, not the little ones. Let's just say there are no more plated nosalises. :v:

Kuromyneko
Aug 21, 2014

Kuro neko

Since there doesn't seem to be any post about metro 2033 redux outside this post; anyone noticed the ranger mode just seems impossible if you use up all your ammo before certain areas? I'm stuck on this part where you are waiting outside a station and monsters and attacking constantly. I've managed to hold most of them off but finally run out of ammo and get gruesomely ripped apart while my friend fails to try to back me up :(. Ammo conservation seems really important in this game and if you have trouble hitting a barn door like me. In most games after afew tried there seem to be a way to get around these mistakes anyone else find that metro2033 is really punishing at times with the difficulty?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

IIRC Bourbon still aims towards the horizon when trying to kill a Nosalis. Compare it to Khan who just destroys a Nosalis horde by himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Find a weapon you're better with and use that? You can use chapter select to go back if you have to. It's not the easiest game. Also don't try to kill all the librarians, although it sounds like you are somewhere before that.

My advice re: monster fighting is to back away and aim for the face carefully, preferably with a reflex sight if you have one.

• Locked thread