Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

JebanyPedal posted:

The former.

Oh good. That was my chief concern. :)

The Ranger Mode debacle threw me off and I was worried they'd taken liberties elsewhere. Seems I might have just been paranoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013

Lord Yod posted:

So how do you use throwing knives? I'm trying to play on ranger hardcore mode and there is literally no interface at all.

Press C, it doesn't seem to work every time you press it, at least for me that is.

I'm having a blast so far, that was up until it crashed about an hour in. Only major issue other than that is I can't decide whether I want to put myself through the horrible accents in English or miss out on half the dialogue with Russian.

EDIT: Welp it seems like that crash broke my save file

Peruser fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 14, 2013

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I seem to be getting this problem where it only has about a quarter of the screen in cutscenes. I tried turning down the resolution, but I don't know if it works yet and it makes the game look like crap. Anyone else having this problem?

e: Also, do you still have to recharge your light? If so, what's the PC command?

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 14, 2013

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So, apparently my bullets are setting Nazis on fire. I don't know if this is intentional or not but it is really, really satisfying.

e: Do I not have a hand crank in LL? And normal gives out ammo like candy. I have 120 shotgun shells. The game is still pretty great though. I recognize stuff from the book, and I assume bits are from 2034, from what I've read online about it.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 14, 2013

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
On Ranger Easy, how do I check my ammo?

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

StashAugustine posted:

I seem to be getting this problem where it only has about a quarter of the screen in cutscenes. I tried turning down the resolution, but I don't know if it works yet and it makes the game look like crap. Anyone else having this problem?

e: Also, do you still have to recharge your light? If so, what's the PC command?

Just like 2033, the command is F (hitting it turns your light on or off, holding it pulls out the charger). Unlike 2033, you have to hold F the entire time you charge.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

On Ranger Easy, how do I check my ammo?

Hold M, I am pretty sure.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

It's amazing how well optimised the engine is in Last Light. My GTX 560 Ti can run with everything but SSAA and Hardware PhysX and rarely drops a beat.

For anyone on the fence, this is definitely a worthy successor to Metro 2033. In fact, I don't know if I can go back to 2033 having played with the new (and excellent) stealth mechanics of Last Light.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm getting a weird shadow flickering bug on my 7950. Haven't started chapter 2 yet, just decided to put it down after the intro because I don't want to spoil the game with the bug.

edit: According to the Steam community forums, this is just an issue with AMD cards, or at least the 7xxx series. Also, performance is considerably worse than on Nvidia cards.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 14, 2013

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What's the filepath for the preorder comic? I don't see it in the common files for the game (though I do see the two outro videos).

quote:

In fact, I don't know if I can go back to 2033 having played with the new (and excellent) stealth mechanics of Last Light.

It's amazing how much less of a hassle it is now. They didn't even really change all that much, either.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Wait what did they change stealth wise? I wanted to like the stealth in 2033 but it was terrible and the AI didn't help.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I swear the Steam pre-purchase page mentioned getting a copy of the novel(2033), not just the comic book. How do I get that?

edit: Once again the Steam community forums confirm that some people got it. It shows up for at least one person in /metro last light/novel. Not so for me, having preordered directly from Steam.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 14, 2013

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

keyframe posted:

Wait what did they change stealth wise? I wanted to like the stealth in 2033 but it was terrible and the AI didn't help.

You can now tell whether you're hidden in shadow or not by a light on your watch, and you now have both a lethal and a non-lethal stealth takedown if you sneak up on someone from the back or the sides, so you don't have to waste throwing knives/precious ammo or gamble with a standard melee attack any more. You're much more consistently able to turn off/shoot out light sources, and you get a tiny grace period to get out of sight if the AI sees you, so if you mess up slightly you're not instantly screwed.

Also, I love the (new?) filter system. I could never tell how long each filter lasted for and why I should bother manually replacing them in 2033, but in Last Light you know exactly how much time you've got left.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I swear the Steam pre-purchase page mentioned getting a copy of the novel(2033), not just the comic book. How do I get that?

edit: Once again the Steam community forums confirm that some people got it. It shows up for at least one person in /metro last light/novel. Not so for me, having preordered directly from Steam.

I am in the exact same boat, plus I never got a code for the comic book.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

BBJoey posted:

You can now tell whether you're hidden in shadow or not by a light on your watch, and you now have both a lethal and a non-lethal stealth takedown if you sneak up on someone from the back or the sides, so you don't have to waste throwing knives/precious ammo or gamble with a standard melee attack any more. You're much more consistently able to turn off/shoot out light sources, and you get a tiny grace period to get out of sight if the AI sees you, so if you mess up slightly you're not instantly screwed.

Not to be a dick, but...

The watch thing was in the first. Also you can recover throwing knives 100% of the time from dead bodies, my melee attacks have always been silent, and I've never found a light I couldn't turn off or shoot out yet.

It sounds like not much was changed, except for the actual take downs and grace period (which are both nice).

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
In hardcore is there a way to tell if you're using military rounds without firing the weapon?

I find it silly that hitting the weapon menu button brings up nothing in hardcore mode but still lets you fiddle with invisible buttons and change god knows what.

Adrastus
Apr 1, 2012

by toby
My laptop could run the Metro2033 with mostly high settings at high twenties-low thirties framerate. Does it stand a chance against this game.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
Is there any reason not to knock everybody out? Do they wake up somehow?

Hopefully this run I can get the good ending on the first try. I played the second half of metro 2033 following a guide on where to get moral points and still didn't get the good ending. Being vague about it is atmospheric and all but :argh:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Slappy Moose posted:

The watch thing was in the first. my melee attacks have always been silent

I don't remember the watch showing if you're visible or not in 2033, and I played it about a month ago. And melee attacks were DEFINITELY not stealthy in 2033, I can tell you that much right now. :v:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Holy poo poo, I hope somebody comes up with a FOV fix soon. I just got done playing for about two hours straight, and I'm actually a little dizzy and nauseous right now. That's never happened to me with any other game before.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Slappy Moose posted:

The watch thing was in the first. Also you can recover throwing knives 100% of the time from dead bodies, my melee attacks have always been silent, and I've never found a light I couldn't turn off or shoot out yet.
I dunno, I kept running into lights which were placed such that you couldn't turn them off easily and if you shot them out they'd attract too much attention. And I seem to remember that often times a melee attack wouldn't kill an enemy in one hit, and throwing knives had that habit of bouncing off armour which made them a pain to use sometimes.

Also yeah I recall the watch but it was three bars, wasn't it? And I swear I remember being detected for some reason when the watch said I was hidden, and sneaking while the yellow light was lit was basically a gamble.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

404notfound posted:

Holy poo poo, I hope somebody comes up with a FOV fix soon. I just got done playing for about two hours straight, and I'm actually a little dizzy and nauseous right now. That's never happened to me with any other game before.
If it's anything like 2033, there's a spot in the config somewhere that controls FOV.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.

Stuntman posted:

If it's anything like 2033, there's a spot in the config somewhere that controls FOV.

Sadly not. PCGamingWiki hasn't got it, either.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Are you limited to two weapons on Ranger mode? I keep trying to pick up a third and it won't let me.

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013
Alright this is weird, when I first started this game everything was fine. But after I closed out and shut my computer off for awhile my game got this weird stutter problem where my game would skip a few frames. I tried turning down all the settings but nothing fixed it. Is there something else I can do?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The game seems a lot smoother and user-friendly than the first so far. I'm running it on the automatic settings it detected when I started (which is basically the default High settings, I think?) and I haven't had any framerate drops or other oddities pop up, even in the big surface areas I've been in so far.

If I were doing the traditional "I played it for 3 hours, time to write a review!" score scale on it, I'd honestly give it a 9/10. Unless something goes completely off the rails later on, they fixed just about everything I had issues with in the first game and left the stuff I enjoyed. :toot:

Also, those of you who are having problems with throwing knives and such, you have to tap C rather quick. Holding down C just shows you what throwing weapon you currently have equipped (though I find this handy when I forget I have dynamite or grenades equipped and I think I'm going to toss a throwing knife).

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 14, 2013

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Punch Nazis 'erryday.

How are you able to customize your weapons once you are out in the metro? I picked up a silenced VVS type single shot gun, want to add a scope to it too.

Edit: VVV I see, just made it to The Theater.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 11:19 on May 14, 2013

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Find a firearms vendor. You'll have "customize" and "trade" options for each of your current weapons and you can add scopes, extensions, and whatnot then.

Charlie Brown
Oct 4, 2000

Infiltrates Your Skull

Lord Yod posted:

So how do you use throwing knives? I'm trying to play on ranger hardcore mode and there is literally no interface at all.

'Secondary Fire' (default C)

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I like the dynamic soundtrack. You sometimes hear sharp strings that correspond with your stealth (narrow escapes, taking out three bandits in a row right before discovery), and it's definitely enough to make things a lot more tense without the chords constantly popping up or becoming annoying. I don't know how they tuned that, but it is a well-tuned thing.

Charlie Brown
Oct 4, 2000

Infiltrates Your Skull
Last Light feels very well optimised.
Runs better for me than Metro 2033 does.

Really really enjoying it so far.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Ranger Hardcore has been pretty hardcore so far. I played RH extensively on 2033, so I knew what to expect, but some of the changes have thrown me for a loop.

• there's no way to check how much total ammo you have outside of stations; similarly, there doesn't appear to be any way to track the number of filters outside of stations either (this is actually kind of cool, as I found myself mentally keeping track of how many filters I had picked up)
  • the total ammo cap is fairly low
  • the only way to determine if you've loaded dirty/MGR is by looking at the magazine (switch between the two by holding the reload key)
  • you switch between thrown weapons using the weapon switch button which brings up an invisible radial menu; you then have to rely on the sound to determine which weapon you've selected
  • thrown weapons are thrown using the 'Secondary' key; holding the key instead of pressing it will allow you to see what you have equipped so you don't accidentally try to ninja some guy by throwing a grenade at his back
  • there are no QTE prompts, but mashing the use key during "hey this seems like a QTE" scenes seems to do the trick
  • you can knock out NPCs by holding use and murder them by holding melee
  • you only get two weapons
  • stealth is even more powerful in LL than it was in 2033
  • many keys have an alternate function when held instead of pressed (e.g., press lamp key to turn on lamp; hold lamp key to bring up charger or press journal key to bring out you lighter; hold journal key to actually take out your journal/compass)
  • there doesn't seem to be a dedicated button to check your watch (but if you light your lighter, you can see the watch)

If I'm wrong about any of this stuff, let me know and I'll throw the updated list in the OP.

Anyways, speaking to the game itself, if you liked the atmosphere in 2033, there's much more to love in LL -- the world feels both fuller and darker and there's some real diversity in the people and in the stations that was largely absent in 2033. And if you liked the atmosphere in 2033, but didn't like the stealth and combat, well, in LL, the stealth is buttery smooth and the combat is viscerally satisfying. As the Metro weapon vendors would say, "Recommended!"

Leb fucked around with this message at 12:09 on May 14, 2013

Charlie Brown
Oct 4, 2000

Infiltrates Your Skull
I'm playing Ranger Normal and I'm finding it a bit too easy.
Might switch to Hardcore before I get too far in.

Leb, I had no idea how to bring up the charger until your post.
Thanks!

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.
Very impressed with the optimization, at least on my end. Was streaming it live through X-Split at 1680x1500, everything cranked up except SSAA and V-Sync and was sitting on a very nice average frame-rate of maybe 50fps.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
Anyone have any comments on gamepad support?

Yeah yeah, I know this disqualifies me from the master race, but I really love playing on a gamepad vs. mouse and keyboard. :unsmith:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

BBJoey posted:

It's amazing how well optimised the engine is in Last Light. My GTX 560 Ti can run with everything but SSAA and Hardware PhysX and rarely drops a beat.

For anyone on the fence, this is definitely a worthy successor to Metro 2033. In fact, I don't know if I can go back to 2033 having played with the new (and excellent) stealth mechanics of Last Light.

This is good news. I've got a 560ti also and I could run 2033 at pretty much maximum. Flicking one option to simple, I think it was depth of field, made it run wonderfully smoothly. Glad to hear Last Light will hopefully be the same.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Samfucius posted:

I am in the exact same boat, plus I never got a code for the comic book.

I have the code, I just see nowhere to use it. I don't have the novel in my directory either, though since I own the book that's not too big a deal for me.

Incidentally, looking up where the comic might be I found out that Metro 2035 is being released sometime. I wish 2034 would get translated already.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The comic is really dumb and everything that happens in it is much better presented in the actual game.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So the GB review mentioned that Russian voices doesn't cover all the important story beats. Anybody whose beaten the game have this issue?

I'd like to keep going with Russian voices only, but if it'll make me miss out on important conversations, I'll have to skip it.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Chillmatic posted:

Anyone have any comments on gamepad support?

Yeah yeah, I know this disqualifies me from the master race, but I really love playing on a gamepad vs. mouse and keyboard. :unsmith:

Go have a look at the Giant Bomb quick look for last light. They played it on PC, but with a 360 pad. Should give you some idea of how it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
Fired this up for 30m last night and got an ugly entire-system crash right as I climbed up to the surface. Had to call it there and never got to fire a bullet in anger.

Hopefully it was a one-off bug, seems to be running well for everyone else?

• Locked thread