Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pepsi-Tan posted:

I'm surprised people are saying they didn't like the book as much, the book was great. It was a less gamey more depressing realism and focus on the psychological fuckery of the metro on the people, I loved the hell out of it.

The most brutal part of the book are the markets and Artyom's reactions to them at the beginning and then again halfway through the novel. At the beginning, Artyom reacts to how everyone uses bullets to pay for food and clothing, like in the game, and is disgusted by it, comparing it to trading lives, and notes how many lives it'd take to pay for a lovely hunk of pork, or how a nice coat is on sale and only twelve lives today. By the halfway point he spends nearly all his ammo, dozens of lives, on a meal and a load of booze in what qualifies as a good place in the metro and doesn't think twice about it. Don't read Metro 2033 if you want to feel happiness for a while.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Also I think ranger mode was actual paid for DLC in the console versions, so it's not surprising (if a little lame).

It was, and it also came with the volt driver and some shotgun or turret thing I didn't use because the volt driver was pretty much the best weapon in the game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

It does have a Russian voice track.

Are they going to subtitle all the incidental dialogue this time? They didn't in 2033 and that was what kept me from using it then.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Anatharon posted:

Is there any indication of if the multipule endings will be less arbitrary and ridiculous to get?

Are there even going to be multiple endings again?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cheston posted:

Is it also just telling you to buy the DLC that isn't there?

Same here, and I preordered it just the same. I was going to use it on the second playthrough anyway, but still.

Artyom doesn't sound quite as depressed as in the last game.

e: I am extremely pleased I can play on high (or close to it) with my kind of crap graphics card.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 14, 2013

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh man I was totally wrong high settings are tearing my card a new rear end in a top hat and normal is having some serious dips at times. The game is really drat pretty though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Need a performance boost? Follow the steps in the PC Gaming Wiki to change the renderer to DX10 or 9. I'm on DX10 high settings, perfectly smooth on a 7950.

Might as well give this a shot, it crashed my system the moment I got to the surface.

e: AMD Radeon HD 6800 series, most recent drivers, for the record. Not great I know but it worked fine until now.

e: Artyom moves slow as gently caress.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 14, 2013

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So everyone in the concentration camp was telling me to open the gates, but the only switch I saw was to cycle the airlock. Did I just gently caress them over, or do I do that later?

e: Nevermind, I was looking in the wrong place.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 14, 2013

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So, apparently my bullets are setting Nazis on fire. I don't know if this is intentional or not but it is really, really satisfying.

e: Do I not have a hand crank in LL? And normal gives out ammo like candy. I have 120 shotgun shells. The game is still pretty great though. I recognize stuff from the book, and I assume bits are from 2034, from what I've read online about it.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 14, 2013

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What's the filepath for the preorder comic? I don't see it in the common files for the game (though I do see the two outro videos).

quote:

In fact, I don't know if I can go back to 2033 having played with the new (and excellent) stealth mechanics of Last Light.

It's amazing how much less of a hassle it is now. They didn't even really change all that much, either.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Samfucius posted:

I am in the exact same boat, plus I never got a code for the comic book.

I have the code, I just see nowhere to use it. I don't have the novel in my directory either, though since I own the book that's not too big a deal for me.

Incidentally, looking up where the comic might be I found out that Metro 2035 is being released sometime. I wish 2034 would get translated already.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TasmanianX posted:

Fired this up for 30m last night and got an ugly entire-system crash right as I climbed up to the surface. Had to call it there and never got to fire a bullet in anger.

Hopefully it was a one-off bug, seems to be running well for everyone else?

That happened to me too, actually. I got past it the second time I tried, but at least it wasn't just me. They released a patch this morning, I assume its just bug fixes?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Replaying it also got me to realize that there is contextual dialogue for various actions you can take, down to moving the camera around. Anna makes a snarky comment about you looking at her butt if you look up instead of just looking at the wall while you're climbing that ladder.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 14, 2013

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rocketeer Korolev posted:

Anyone else have to verify the game cache files in order to get a significant performance boost?

Also, this game hard crashes every 10 minutes it seems, no matter what detail settings I have it at. It resets my video card drivers and I have no choice but to shut it down. I'm running this on an AMD Radeon 6870 and I'm wondering if this is happening on nVidia cards as well.

Other than that, great game so far!

I'm on AMD Radeon HD 6800 series (no idea what particular one) and asides from the system crash, it killed my drivers at the section where you go in the spider cave with Pavel. Only played for two hours, anti-aliasing as low as it goes but yeah it doesn't seem to like AMD a whole lot. I'm on medium settings, no tesselation, vsync on. Motion blur doesn't seem to actually do anything on any setting to me. The benchmark program in the steam folder has my average framerate at about 40, though it dropped into 20 and at one point, the part with the floodlight and the flag, down to 10. This is the first game since Witcher 2 to bring my system to its knees, but I'm still amazed with how pretty the game is even on the absolute worst settings, too.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Underwhelmed posted:

What is up with those dossiers I keep picking up anyway? Is that something else that is getting shaved off due to the HUD being reduced?

They're Artyom's notes on what's happening. I think you press tab to read them.

e: fb

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm glad to see the revolver is still as absurdly powerful as ever. And it's nice that you can knock people out in stealth from the front, the game gives you a small grace period to jump out and cold clock someone. That patch seemed to have fixed most of my problems too. No more crashes for the moment.

And oh man the plane part was bad, but when you see the missiles start to launch and see a nuke explode and 2033's theme kicks in as the loving cockpit shatters, goddamn game.

So far the worst thing is there appears to be a total of three voice actors for every non-important NPC.

RentACop posted:

Literally the only thing I'm not liking is the constant little minicutscenes where you're knocked-down/out or whatever. That's one of the reasons I gave up on Far Cry 3, though I like metro too much for that to happen here.

The funny thing is this happens in the novel nonstop too. Artyom kills a grand total of one guy (a Nazi), and spends the rest hiding, crawling, getting the poo poo beat out of him or getting almost hanged.

e: As an aside, from what one paragraph on Wikipedia told me, Metro 2035 is pretty much a novelization of Last Light, but going into further detail.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 15, 2013

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Megafunk posted:

Also about the stealth, I really appreciate a game where you don't have a magic guard-dar somewhere on your hud but man, either Artyom is the goddamn batman or these guards need new glasses. You can literally stand in front of people in unlit rooms and they cannot notice you unless you make a sound. I sort of miss 2033's stealth but at the same time I feel liberated not having to reload dozens of times to get through one area without killing everyone.

I remember that in my runthrough on ranger easy in 2033 that in one section with the Nazis, there was exactly one set of steps I could take to not die, and that was half stealth, then blitzing to the part with the communist prisons with the volt driver, if I took a step out of line, I was dead. Before that, I had to wait underneath some floorboards for several minutes, with a silenced revolver, and kneecap various guards who came through, all at once, otherwise they'd be alerted and I'd be dead. It took forever, and eventually the sense of dread and "I'm hosed" went away because of it. It's a lot easier now, but it seems to be better at keeping me on edge too. It seems like, on normal anyway, you have to go out of your way to die to enemy fire though. Are there combat and stealth suits this time around?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Calax posted:

In the book, Artyom realizes just what the Dark Ones were trying to do right before detonation. He proceeds to have a total mental breakdown due to the fact that he realizes he just committed Genocide against an intelligent species that meant no harm.

Not only did the Dark Ones mean no harm, they wanted to help humanity get out of the shithole that was the Metro. Artyom doomed humanity to stay in it. Metro 2033 is the most terrifying book I've ever read.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 16, 2013

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Xenomrph posted:

Any difficulty setting suggestions for someone going into Metro 2033 for the first time, in order to get the "best" experience?

If you have the Ranger dlc/PC bonus, you have some additional weapons too. Don't use the Volt Driver (railgun). It's gamebreakingly good.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is there any special reason the nosalis right at the part where you wait for a boat to Venice go from dying in one shot to being nearly invulnerable? By the end it took six shotgun shells and some bullets from an AK to bring one down.

quote:

I don't think that you can buy filters. Same difficulty and I couldn't either, at least.

Can you buy different suits? Since everyone seems to recognize you as a Ranger based on yours I'm guessing no, but it doesn't hurt knowing for sure.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zaodai posted:

I tried that, several times, even at full "sprint" speed. It just bounces off and stalls out. :saddowns: It was one of the first things I tried, given what you've had to do leading up to it.

You can hold down "shift" to go faster, if you don't know. I bounced off twice until I held it down to get to ramming speed.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Snake_in_a_box posted:

What the hell, I thought what I got was the good ending. I don't understand what you want from me game. I gave bullets to homeless dudes, spared Pavel and Lesnitsky, and didn't go through every level murdering people. What could I have missed?

If it's anything like 2033, you get a lot of points by exploring side passages and listening to what people have to say, including enemies in combat areas, along with playing musical instruments.

Speaking of side passages, the room full of ghosts at the rail car part was really well done. They only appear if you glance at them from the side. Look straight on and they vanish.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ethanol posted:

The update certainly worked wonders on my 7950. Now running on very high quality and very high tessellation and it's very pretty and smooth.

My Radeon HD 6800 series card still struggles on high and above, but I can run the game much smoother now on normal, with 16x AA and normal motion blur (I have no idea what SSAA is but it drops the framerate significantly), and tessellation off (also tanks it, even on normal). I could probably do high in less populated areas, though. I can hardly notice a difference besides from lighting in it all anyway.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

marxismftw posted:

Great game, enjoying it immensely so far.

Now the problem - I'm stuck and I can't figure out where to go. I'm on my way to Venice and after attempting to save a woman pleading for her life off to the side of a tunnel full of torches and hanging bodies, I am in what appears to be a large train station with staircases and an overhanging walkway above the tracks. The starts leading down forward from the walkway are blocked with debris and the bottom is blocked by invisible walls. I've been searching where to go next for 10 minutes now, but the sound of the mutant growling at me is getting annoying.

Ring the bell right in front of the stairs.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wasn't one of the preorder bonuses a rifle? What rifle is that and where do you get it? Also what's the difference between the RPK and the Kalash, and why does the RPK icon have an arrow on it? Does that mean its worse than something?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mushball posted:

Also I'm stuck on a part where I signal a boat and defend myself from attacking nosalises. My AK doesn't seem to be as deadly with dirty rounds as its 2033 incarnation and there are too many of them to take on one by one with this shotgun pistol thing I'm carrying around as my secondary.

Nosalis are absurdly loving powerful in 2034. They go from dying in one shotgun blast to dying in eight, or forty bullets from the kalash 2012.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 17, 2013

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah I just bumped the difficulty down to normal for that fight because it was killing my immersion buzz and just getting on my nerves. This game really has no reason to have these occasional big bullet sponge bosses.

Those weren't great, but the only really lovely part I thought was the very end, where you fight the tank at D6. I had to google how to kill it, its something you do nowhere else in the game and have no indication you're supposed to do; the compass leads you to think you're supposed to head to another area.

e: Well that and the part with the church where the game forgot to spawn the enemy you're supposed to actually kill, but a reload fixed that.

Having just finished it, it was a good game, especially after they fixed it so runs better on AMD cards, but it felt way too easy, the damage sponge enemies weren't great, and the endings didn't feel as impactful as 2033. It felt like we had another level or two to go, and by the end, I was full up on almost all ammo types, had an hour of filters left, and 80 military grade bullets. In 2033 I had seconds left on a few filters, and a handful of bullets I didn't use at the end, and it felt more like I barely scraped by.

quote:

The only lip-service that it gets sounds like the mysticism of a shaman.

Off the top of my head, the book gives the following options for what's happening: You're insane from living your entire life in a lovely pitch-black tunnel, you're inhaling some sort of gas, humanity destroyed not only Earth but Heaven and Hell, psychic phenomena, humanity broke the laws of physics, some sort of pre-war super science, demons. A large part of the books is just Artyom wandering the metro with various companions, each with a different take on things.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 17, 2013

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Calax posted:

Actually the game seems pretty good on "normal" at showing you what to do, but it doesn't actually say anything about the fact that it's showing you. So the indicators are pretty "the hell?" unless you're looking for it. In a boss fight the color Red=Shoot it. Will save you much trouble on the "How the hell do you kill this thing?" bosses that'll just let you run out of ammo before ending.

I didn't have a sniper equipped, and didn't see the red, and the last one of those you kill you kill in a totally different manner (in another game, to be fair). :smith:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

What choice decides that, though? Is it because I killed Pavel instead of sparing him or what? It didn't seem like there were very many decisions you could make in the game to influence which ending you get.

Every time you see a flash of white means you got a point towards your "good ending" meter. Doing bad things like killing things needlessly takes away from it. Basically to get the good ending you have to sneak everywhere, play a lot of instruments, explore a lot, and help people out.

e: quote isn't edit ugh

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I had that issue, dying, reloading, then waiting by him for a bit seemed to fix it for me though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

River posted:

What's with the Metro2035.com posters everywhere? Confirmed sequel? I just get a 403 when I try and go there.

The internet is saying that Metro 2035 is the upcoming novelization of Last Light. I wonder if it'd get translated before 2034 or not.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Flipswitch posted:

A side effect of Ranger mode, but the buckshot pistol (I forget it's name) is an absolute monster.

I never found the shotgun pistol, just the revolver and the semi-auto pistol, so I just had a little mini-carbine the whole game. Where was it?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

With regards to the HUD, is the only real difference between Ranger Easy and Ranger Hardcore the tab menu? On RE you still have it, it just doesn't display ammo, except for how much MGR you have (and you can tell if it's equipped there by if the icon is glowing or not), and it doesn't show what guns you've got. Enemies don't seem to take any more or less damage than on normal difficulty either.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I thought the spiders in this game were pretty neat looking. I also ran after them with the lighter poking them with my knife, though. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I see what you guys mean about Ranger mode now. I had no idea that I only had like twelve bullets between my revolver and AK after sneaking out of the concentration camp with Pavel. You have no idea how much ammo you get or have left or is even in your gun, it's dumb. It looks like one "clip" equals one revolver bullet though based on how many times I've reloaded after looting a body.

Leb posted:

It is fortunate beyond words that the works of the great masters survived the armageddon.

This is fantastic.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 19, 2013

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sankis posted:

What's really dumb is that you can check your ammo in safe stations but you're just going to fill up the ammo you use as soon as you find a vendor so what's the point? They should just let you check your ammo by hanging back a moment or simply not being in combat for X long.

That is dumb, yeah. Can you hold more knives in Ranger than normal? I thought it was five in Normal, but I've got ten now. Huh.

Has anyone figured out why on occasion your crap bullets will set people on fire?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sputty posted:

I'd doubt that the limit would be higher in Ranger so you might've just never got to 10 before. For the second question it's because you switched to military rounds without realizing.

poo poo, really? I didn't tell the game to switch the ammo out, does it just start pulling it in if you run out of lovely bullets?

quote:

Depends on what the weapon is I think. I had my Modified AKS-74u take more shots to kill them then the Lolife pistol which took them out with a few bullets.

Maybe it's because I have the silencer on, but the AKS seems to do jackshit to anything for me, and it has huge spread. Its kind of an awful weapon. I found the shotgun pistol and I'm loving it though. The worst thing about Ranger so far is the two gun limit, if only because I like having a little more variety.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Red Mundus posted:

Um...

(late-game spoilers) What the hell am I supposed to do at the tank part? I can't really seem to do anything. I thought maybe I needed to shoot the supports out or something like in the original game but nothing works.

You need to grab a sniper rifle (there's a couple near an ammo crate) and aim at the red bits on the wheels, then at the red bit near the top when the turret sort of opens up. There's little indication of this if you don't have that weapon since other zooms don't make it particularly obvious.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I saw that there's a season pass available for Last Light on Steam. Does anyone know anything about the dlc in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Has anyone noticed a bug in Ranger mode where whenever you load the game you start with 2 medkits, no matter what, and lose one every load after? It's kind of a pain in the rear end.

e: Oh gently caress enemies will try and gas you out if you go in guns blazing, that's amazing.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 23, 2013

• Locked thread