Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.
I don't want to turn this into a pseudo-travel/tourism thread (unfortunately doesn't like there's one in that sub-forum), but I'm spontaneously debating whether to travel to Iceland during the week of Christmas (my state job is on furlough that entire week). I'm not sure how much sightseeing I'd be able to do since I'm still deciding how many days and night to stay (I would arrive on the 23rd though).

Part of me would like to stay in hotel in the city, plus it looks like there's some good rates out there and I like the independence to do whatever I want. However, I was also looking at AirBnB.com which seems to have some private room offerings from some Reykjavik residents (mostly families). For the record, I've never traveled outside of North America (Canada and US) but it'd be interesting to experience Christmas in Iceland (albeit alone if I do end up traveling).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I'm, not exactly sure what your question is? If you're asking what you can do here over the Christmas, then there's the usual christmas sales, cultural stuff and lots of family things, with a lot of drinking and partying culminating in the new year, which is simply spectacular, where we blow up a shitload of fireworks.

If you're asking about staying, I'd wonder if those folks want a visitor over Christmas: some people would probs be way cool with it, others may be expecting family over but I mean, from what I see of that site I'm guessing they'd mostly be cool with it? They seem to have good availability anyhow so once you narrow down where you gonna stay and for how long I could work better on your itinerary. I can say though you won't find much to do 24th, at least after noon. Other days have plenty and I could give you more details when the december Grapevine comes out. (They collect the tourist stuff fairly well together.)

Still, even a couple days can be filled with good stuff; especially if you just wanna experience a bit of "the real" Iceland.

Apologies for the vagueness; I was doing a bit of multitasking on my phone in the midst of typing that. You're correct about my question, regarding what to do at Christmastime. Thinking about it more, I think I'd prefer to lodge in a hotel, especially since the interests of someone like me (mid 20s) might not be the same as a couple with kids. That's not a bad thing, but I wouldn't want to feel like I'm intruding on a family holiday. (edit: honestly I think I fall into the nerdy, socially awkward goon stereotype, to put it succinctly) :unsmith:

I'm tentatively planning to stay through Saturday/Sunday (28th/29th). There's a flight that gets back to Seattle (my local airport) at around 5pm Sunday which gives me a little bit of time to recover for work on Monday. Unfortunately I couldn't stay until New Year's, though that sounds great.

Kitsch! fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 30, 2013

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

Ah that sounds great then. Doing a lot of things last minute (flight, accommodations, etc.) but coming together nicely. Looking at staying at this place (http://www.hotelodinsve.is/) as it's not too expensive/within my budget and was recommended by a couple sources.

I'm not too fond of American-style eggnog (homemade or store-bought) but maybe Jólaglögg will change my mind :)

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Pffff, goony foreigners are a cultural staple for Icelanders and I'm sure that they would show you the Yule spirit, by giving you Jólaglögg (somewhat, but not totally unlike your eggnogg), malt & appelsín, hangikjöt and letting you light up a few fireworks. A shame you'll miss the new year but you'll still be able see some good stuff, depending on the weather; there's regular tourist staples like the golden circle, cultural things around the city, drinking like a mofo or maybe you can meet up with me and that guy I promised to take out for a drink. (If he remembers it, who knows at this point, wait was that you? I'll take you out anyway, but maybe just for some food and a bit of drinking)

Hey, do you have PMs or anything? Flying out in a few hours and don't wanna clog up the thread. I figure I'll spent most of Tuesday sleeping/eating/drinking, not necessarily in that order.

I've been enjoying reading about Christmas customs in Iceland (I've subscribed to Grapevine and Iceland Review) like these Yule Lads with names like Sausage-Swiper and Window-Peeper. I'm kind of relieved I won't have to deal with the shopping-focused holiday that takes place in my neck of the woods.

VV edit: thanks much, I'll follow up through email, have a merry christmas :)

Kitsch! fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 24, 2013

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

Laverna posted:

So I've got accommodation and I think it might possibly be near the centre of town or the good part or something, but not knowing a thing about this city I don't actually have a clue in the slightest. It's in the area near the Hallgrimskirkja, is that a good area or am I gonna get shivved walking home from uni at 4 in the afternoon?

Should I also send an email? Although I guess I'm gonna be there a while so no hurry. I should probably focus on packing instead.

Take my word with grain of salt, as I visited only for one week and everything was closed for the holidays, but I would routinely walk around in the early morning in the dark as I never accustomed to the time difference. I felt exponentially safer than my closest current metropolitan center (same approx. population) in America. My lodging was a little less than a kilometer from Hallgrimskirkja, so you'll be fine.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

nm posted:

Use a credit card, no one seemed to use cash in Iceland.

I never got cash for the three times I've been in Iceland. Just check if your credit card has a foreign transaction fee, which I neglected to do the first time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

Doctor Malaver posted:

BTW whoever suggested no cash apparently never rode a local bus. They don't take plastic and they don't even return money if you don't have exact change.

My apologies; I'm much more accustomed to the bus card system (it's the same in my hometown re: no credit cards/no change).

• Locked thread