Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the thread! I hope I get around to visiting Iceland sometime. You guys are pretty far north, but are you north enough to have a weird day/night cycle with a midnight sun and all that? North enough for northern lights? I've never seen those.

Can I ask about your occupation? Are you a longboat oarsman or a farmer or a vice minister of geothermal energy? I actually don't understand how Iceland became such a rich society. I can't think of any Icelandic products I've ever bought, or Icelandic resources used in products I buy. I've never heard of having a secret Icelandic bank account for offshoring my precious Jew gold. Are you guys one of those European societies where you work like ten hours a week and then the government forces helpless job creators to pay you US$70,000 a year?

Your English seems pretty close to native level, at least in writing. Do most Icelanders speak perfect English? Do you have English medium instruction in public schools?

Do you have any Jews? Wikipedia says there's like ten of us in Iceland. I wonder why a Jewish community was never successfully established there.

What's the general opinion of Icelanders toward Europeanism? I was surprised to hear you're still printing your own money. I would've thought you'd jumped into the Euro a long time ago.

I've got too many questions about Iceland. I'll leave it at that for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I can't tell if you're from an influential and well-connected family or your whole damned country is just that small. I keep reminding myself that this place is smaller than my hometown, in population. It's tough to wrap my head around, because Iceland isn't one of those joke countries like Luxembourg (more people than Iceland), Andorra, Liechtenstein or San Marino. It's a country that does things and matters and people know about. It still baffles me that Hong Kong has more than 23 times as many people. Maybe I'm too hung up on this population thing.

I like the Icelandic language a lot. If I wasn't busy learning six other, much more economically and politically important languages, I'd probably take the time to study a bit. I like the word Eyjafjallajökull. I listen to the audio edition of the Economist and back in 2010, I got such joy out of hearing that poor British woman from Talking Issues say Eyjafjallajökull like six times in one article. Now I know a lot of reporters struggled through it and ruined the pronunciation, but the Economist is old school and hardcore, so this woman had carefully practiced and been properly coached on how to pronounce the ridiculous name of this volcano. And sure enough she painstakingly read out that name again and again.

This List of the tallest buildings in Iceland is adorable.

Do you guys have skiing in Iceland? What are the most popular sports there? I'm an avid skier. I'd like to ski down an active volcano. I'd ski Eyjafjallajökull in a heartbeat, and call out its name on the way down.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I forgot to mention I saw Iceland's elections on the news here in Hong Kong last night. I was at the gym, so it was muted TV news and I have no idea what was said or how it was played, but the fact that Iceland made the news here made me smile. It was TVB Pearl, though. English-language broadcast station, so I don't know if it would've shown up on the Cantonese programming. Maybe!

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Oh does Icelandic McDonald's have any cool special menu items? In Hong Kong, for example, they offer the Prosperity Burger every Chinese New Year, which is like a McRib but made with beef or chicken and covered in Chinese sesame sauce. Do they have like a super filet o fish with fish heads and something spelled with a bunch of runes?

Your language is adorable. "Fyrst" "aftur" "besta". Now I see why historical linguists love Icelandic.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I actually went to the tourist info today to check up on it, there are a few mo' places around but mostly cheap = fast food. And usually foreign, like subway or KFC at that. How much is a sub in HK, btw? The absolute cheapest one here is 29.9 HKD. Cost of living in Iceland is insane,
Subway is the only source I know for a sub in HK and they've got a promotion right now for 25 HKD. But those are lovely and small sandwiches. I usually have to spend more than 40. Western food is generally more expensive here anyway, but yeah our cost of living is definitely massive. My last apartment, just over 700 square feet, cost 18,000 HKD a month. Housing is the worst here.

We may not have tall buildings, Bloodnose, but how many mountains do you have in Hong Kong? :dukedog:

Uh, only a metric fuckton. Hong Kong is also crazy volcanic, except our volcanoes are all dead. It's extremely mountainous terrain though. Good hiking options.

CupcakePrincess posted:

Wow I was not expecting such a long and helpful post - thank you so much! I clicked on the site of the knockoff McDonald's and almost had a heart attack, so the suggestions for cheap food are really useful.

If you were to recommend one day trip, what would it be? We were planning on seeing the Blue Lagoon; are there any other must see sights that are not in the capital that's worth us paying to see?

It's too bad you won't be around - if you ever come to Hong Kong, give us a shout!
Do I know you? You don't have a post history. You should hang out with Hong Kong goons.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
So what's the ownership of the fisheries like? Do you have a cabal of shadowy super-wealthy fish oligarchs?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
How are Iceland's universities? I've never heard of anyone going to Iceland for school. And did you say you went abroad yourself? Do businesses prefer to hire people who have studied overseas?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
What's transportation like in Iceland? I can't see such a little place having a big metro system. Is there a big car culture?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I understand whaling is an important part of Icelandic culture or something, to the point that there's some kind of exemption for Iceland from the international conventions against whaling. On that note, how many whales have you personally killed and on a scale of one to ten, how delicious were they?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
If I wanted to enjoy an Icelandic cultural product, like a TV show or movie (no Bjeourk please), what would you recommend?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Comics wise there's ol Hugleikur Dagsson showing off traditional Icelandic humour, but on shows, hmmm. Most of them are, strangely enough, in Icelandic so your options are farely limited.
Children of Nature won a bunch of awards back in the day, Jar City was a decent crime movie and I suppose you may wanna check out 101 Reykjavík.
Thanks for the links and don't be shy about sharing things just because they're in Icelandic. I think the language is really cool and being in the language makes it sound more authentic.

It's phonetically correct though. Ö sounds nothing like O, after all. ;)
It is phonetically correct? I was just being a jerk and typing out a bunch of vowels because I don't like Björk, which made it all the more funny when Skeleton Jelly got mad, and now apparently triple funny that my vowels turned out to be a close approximation. I don't know Icelandic phonology at all.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

He gets just over a Million ISK a month last I checked (Roughly 10K USD a month), he gets to live at a cool crib in Bessastaðir, in the pleasant sub-urb of my town Álftanes and has his own personal driver and cars.

This website is like terrible 90s bad. It looks like a Hong Kong government website. I thought you people were supposed to be good at Internet.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
If you're sharing pictures, you should show off your home. I assume it's some sort of upturned longboat?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Icelandic, once you get it, is quite simple. It's just that getting it is a process that for many takes many years of effort and even then you'll probably never lose the accent.

"Icelandic is very easy after you spend years upon years studying it, and after that you'll still sound like a foreigner."

I wouldn't listen to Deceitful Penguin though. It's really hard for native speakers to judge how difficult their own language is, and there's a huge bias toward everyone on the planet considering their own language the hardest in the world.

On the other hand, the effort that is required to learn any language might not be worth exerting for Icelandic because you can fit all the native speakers of the language into a good sized stadium.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I want to see the Icelandest picture and the Icelandest YouTube video.

Also what's the oldest building in Iceland? Do you guys have any castles?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Iceland was for the longest time among the poorest countries in Europe so no, no castles, alas. I thought the oldest building was Hegningarhúsið, our first stone prison and was gonna make a quip about that but turns out it's apparently this thing, Viðeyjarstofa.

According to Icelandic Wikipedia (no English article on it), it only dates to the 18th century. Even my babby country (America) is full of buildings way older than that. Did volcanoes and trolls eat all your old stuff or what?

Nice videos too. I'll have to watch that hour and a half long movie later. Some of them have more views than there are people in your country which is tricky.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
It sounds really dorky to me in the modern world where Thor is a comic book character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
There are many languages like that (all languages are like that) and it's why IPA was invented.

• Locked thread