Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
I have to fly from the US to Copenhagen in January and I was thinking about stopping over in Iceland for a couple of days to see the northern lights and/or Reykjavik. Good idea/Bad idea? How much would my wallet hate me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
nevermind, this isn't a travel thread and I should stop using it like one.

twerking on the railroad fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 17, 2014

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Deceitful Penguin posted:

drat nice pics NFX! The thing about Iceland that is sometimes forgotten is that we are the largest desert in Europe. That isn't that hard mind you but a shitload of it is flat as hell. Especially in the East, you have the quite frankly unique experience of seeing nothing but the road before you, black sand around you that to one side ends at mountains and the other in the sea.

Like dor1 says, I'm already doing travel poo poo here all the time and I'm too lazy to make a thread in the main T&T forum.

Hell, I even welcome tourists and make detailed itineraries for them here, I and the others don't mind in the least.

Well if it's OK I'm actually leaving for Iceland tomorrow. I'll basically only be there for Sunday. I'm renting a car with a GPS, I'm going to see some of Reykjavik, especially I'll want to see 871+-2.

Is there anything else that can be recommended for a Sunday during the day in Reykjavik? My plan for the evening is already to grab a few beers from a store and watch for the Aurora from my hotel, which is closer to the airport.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Deceitful Penguin posted:

If you wanna buy beer you're outta luck though; the state monopoly is closed on Sundays. No going to the store and getting booze in Iceland! You'll sadly have to either hope the hotel sells some (likely, but possibly not) in which case a bar might be your best bet.

That completely blows my mind. Even the states in the deep south let you buy booze on Sundays now.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
I definitely dug the hell out of Iceland. Whale meat was amazing. Downtown Reykjavik was cool. Also Brennivin. That was a trip to have with dinner - there's some herb or something in there that numbs the tongue. It was the same sensation as this one vegetable they use in Szechuan cooking.

Also, as I learned from the history museums and they in turn learned from Y-chromosome vs. mitochondrial DNA, the first settlers of Iceland were mostly Norse men and Celtic women. So I guess that's the secret of "Supermodels flipping burgers."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Christoff posted:

Do you guys really have some elf expert that you call when building a new road or house that will politely ask the elves if it's ok to build there? Stories you heard growing up? Sightings, etc?

I think I confused the parliament with the white house. Whichever one was near that small park area with the statue right across from all the bars. I think I remember hearing a joke about an Icelandic riot, during the economy collapse, you guys just massed there and yelled at the building and maybe threw a rock or two.

You guys could care less about transexuals, homosexuals, and religious preferences right? I thought that was cool. If you tried to argue any of the above with them they were pretty much "Hey man whatever you believe is cool." What kind of religious foundations are you guys mostly brought up on at home or in school, if any?

Do you believe the sulfur in the water is good for your skin?

I remember asking a local about the history of Iceland and aside from the Danish rule it was pretty much "Yeah the vikings went to Ireland and stole a bunch of women and then went to Iceland. The end.

Actually it seemed to be more the islands off the coast of Scotland :eng101:

I'll see about some pictures soon.

• Locked thread