Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skeleton Jelly
Jul 1, 2011

Kids in the street drinking wine, on the sidewalk.
Saving the plans that we made, 'till its night time.
Give me your glass, its your last, you're too wasted.
Or get me one too, 'cause I'm due any tasting.

Crankit posted:

I heard there's a database that people in Iceland have to check to make sure they don't sleep with their own cousins, is this true? Does it bother people there or do they just view it as a part of the dating process?

Nah, it's not a database where they have to check, this story is probably just a case of Chinese whispers. It was in fact a recent iPhone app where people about to sleep with each other can just tap their phones against each other and it checks if you're related to each other and if yes, how critically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeleton Jelly
Jul 1, 2011

If you're really too lazy to type it Björk, please, at least go for Bjork. Bjeourk looks just horrible.

Skeleton Jelly
Jul 1, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

It's phonetically correct though. Ö sounds nothing like O, after all. ;)

Yeah, but still, at least for me that looks very clumsy. I'm not Icelandic, but speaking Swedish and Finnish I see more than enough of that from foreigners and while o/a is incorrect, it just looks less... weird. Hämäläinen might not be Hamalainen, but jesus what an abomination Haemaelaeinen is. If Icelanders have a different stance on this I don't know, but you're a broken nation if you prefer those vowel monstrosities.

But seriously, getting the ümlauts takes just a few seconds on google. They're letters of their own and leaving them out is exactly as bad as leaving out letters in English, it really doesn't matter in widely recognized names such as Björk but in other contexts a lot more so.

I guess there's a chance I care too much about ümlauts but goddamnit they're letters and deserve love too as much as anyone else!

Skeleton Jelly
Jul 1, 2011

If glögg in Iceland is anything like in rest of the Nordic countries, it really doesn't have anything to do with eggnog (besides possible alcohol content and being a Christmas drink) and is a lot more closer to the German glühwein. Absolutely delicious, anyways.

• Locked thread