Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

What's the general opinion on Asatru, the attempt to reconstruct or revive pre-Christian religion? It is my understanding that they're building a church/temple in Iceland. Harmless kooks? Cool folk traditions?

(If this is an iffy question, ignore it.)

Cessna fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I'm an American who follows that path myself; I was just wondering how the general person-on-the-street in Iceland sees it...

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Deceitful Penguin posted:

From what the reaction was when I used to be ásatrúar on the forums I expect yanks aren't very fond of it, on either political end.

I've never received any grief for it - not one bit. I suspect that this is because:

1. I live in Colorado, not the Bible Belt. Colorado is pretty open to this sort of thing. One of the ski towns even has an Ullr Festival; admittedly the whole thing is an excuse to get drunk and fall off skis, but it's still nice to see anyway.
2. I'm a pretty private person. I wear a Mjollnir, but it is under my shirt/tie at work. Co-workers who wear Crosses or the like do the same.
3. I have a job and wife and all that; I'm not a teenager.
4. No one knows what it is anyway.

When it does come up, which is rare, the reaction is generally affable cluelessness. "You do what? Huh, I didn't know anyone did that."

It's nice to know there's a place where people not only know what it but are positive towards it.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 19, 2013

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

PT6A posted:

I think part of the negative reaction towards it in the States (and possibly Canada and Western Europe) has to do with how some white supremacist groups have co-opted it.

Yeah, the hell with them.

That's one drawback of not having any central organization; there's no one to kick out the people who make the reasonable people look bad by association.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 19, 2013

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

TerryLennox posted:

Wish there was a Greek pantheon religion as I'm a big fan of the whole mythology.

Google "Reconstructionist Hellenism" and hunt around a bit, it's there.

• Locked thread