Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Hey everyone!

I have a pretty big change to suggest. Namely, to Kiraj, everyone's favourite flaming snuggly monk!

Okay, let's face facts: Monks weren't a great class in D&D 3.5, and Pathfinder makes them even worse. Part of that is probably based around at least part of the design/development staff having a publicly stated dislike of monks (I can link you to some SKR posts, probably.) It's scary and not cool, because I want everyone to have fun: and I'll admit I had a little trepidation at the beginning even taking a monk, because I didn't want Megaflare to get frustrated with the class and not have fun!

But, that said, it's my responsibility to make sure players do have fun. And I've already tweaked some things this game in order to make things more fun for people (traits, feats). So i want to propose some changes to the monk class. I feel these changes will bring the class up to an acceptable level on par with the other melee combatant classes, and let Megaflare keep having fun for the rest of the game. But, there's no disguising it - it's significant power level errata, and because of that, I'm bringing it for public discussion so that you guys don't feel blindsided or left out by a bunch of buffs to another player's character. I'm not trying to unbalance things here, or make anyone feel unwelcome - if you think there's an issue, I'm always available to talk.

Anyway, here's the changes:

-Monks get a d10 HD and full Base Attack Bonus (+1 each level.) Rationale: This puts the monk on the same level as the other melee classes, such as fighter, paladin, and ranger.
-Flurry of Blows can be used as a standard action, not a full-round action. It can only be used once a round, however. Rationale: Monks are supposed to be highly mobile fighters and harriers. This allows monks to close distances and move around - be the class they want to be -, without falling behind in damage once multiple attacks are common at level 6.
-Monks get to use their dexterity for attack and damage rolls with monk weapons and unarmed strikes, instead of Strength. Rationale: Cuts down on the abilities needed to play a good monk to a manageable and comparable 3 (Dex, Con, Wis), instead of 4. 3, for reference, is how much a ranger or barbarian wants.
-Because of this change, Kiraj will also get a free one-time swap of his base Dex & Str. This would result in him having a 12 Str and 19 Dex after his racial modifiers. Rationale: A player should never be penalized by a rules decision the DM makes, especially one they had no way to be unaware of. Because I'm changing the underpinnings of his class, Megaflare should be able to respond to those changes.

Additionally, and regardless of whether the above changes go forward, I'll be introducing magic handwraps to replace the Amulet of Mighty Blows, which can be enchanted as weapons (with a base cost of 301 gp) and enhance the wearer's unarmed strikes. Technically and essentially, this is a house rule reverting brass knuckles to their treatment in the Advanced Player's Guide instead of Ultimate Equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'm a hero!

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Updated sheet on Obsidian with the changes and also put up my session log! Woo! But if anyone has concerns about the monk changes it's not a big deal for me to keep tweaking the sheet for whatever is decided (though kind of running out of time before Saturday!)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Hey everyone!

So with the start of play in Heartwood resolved, we'll be heading out into the larger world this session. I put a really rough map together with communities and sites of interest on it, and here it is: https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1mSDneweqsZ1Fvm8X0tU1FmLJTO_opp4DRR8Ms56jBvc/edit?usp=sharing

We'll be heading to Sarvidal first, because all roads basically lead to Sarvidal and then one road leads to Heartwood from there, so you have to go to Sarvidal to go anywhere. After that, it's up to you guys where you want to go, at least for now - I have some player hooks to follow up on and so on, but this gives you an idea of some directions where some of your stuff might be.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

So, this unfortunate, but I got more hours at work. Which is good for me, because I can use more money, but unfortunately those hours are Saturday afternoons for me. So, while I did enjoy the session I got to play, I'm going to have to drop out. I hope you guys understand, I didn't know I would end up working weekends, but I'm just not going to be able to keep up with this with my current schedule.

Good adventuring, and good luck!

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
"Something." - A famous guy
Looks like I'm going to be busy tomorrow. I'll see you guys next week.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
There won't be a game this week, and I don't think there will be one the next.

I'm sorry for the problems - three weeks without a game is definitely not ideal. In short, I'm busier on vacation than I thought - I was hoping I could get some time aside to polish up my notes and run the game, but neither looks possible. I'm not giving up on Back to Basics - I'm still very excited about this game and looking forward to our next session - but it's just not quite working out how I had planned scheduling wise right now. Next week is going to be a lot of travelling home on the Saturday, but I could try to run a game on the Sunday. How does that sound to people?

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
I'm totally fine for next Sunday. I don't mind a little hiatus at all. Enjoy the rest of your vacation!

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Sunday is workable for me as well.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
Looks like I'll be able to participate tomorrow if you want to run something then.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Then we're up for tomorrow (at the regular time, if it wasn't obvious)! Evilsagan won't be there, but maybe Mega will?!

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

NO!

Yeah!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Excellent!

Terrible!!

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Ok, I'm going to show up at 2 then, and hopefully things will be good!

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

We are missing an Arivia, would Arivia please report to the roll 20 table...

Edit -

We're going to call it a bust, hopefully Arivia is ok. If you read this Arivia and you're up for gaming tomorrow (the 30th, sunday) at 2, reply here - the rest of us who were on the table today are up for it pending your confirmation!

Anias fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 29, 2013

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Anias posted:

We are missing an Arivia, would Arivia please report to the roll 20 table...

Edit -

We're going to call it a bust, hopefully Arivia is ok. If you read this Arivia and you're up for gaming tomorrow (the 30th, sunday) at 2, reply here - the rest of us who were on the table today are up for it pending your confirmation!

Sure.

My apologies for missing today, my depression got the best of me and I was pretty much just lying in bed staring at the ceiling. I apologize for the time of yours I wasted, and I'll get my stuff together for tomorrow so we can make up the session.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Depression is the worst - grab some sunshine and breakfast food and we'll see you tomorrow.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Okay, I got up and was on roll20 at 2 but almost no one else was there.

Between that and the fact that I'm still not feeling too great, I'm going to cancel for today and we'll just play at the normal time next weekend.

Again, my apologies: depression sucks. But as Sagan pointed out to me, it's better for me to run a game that I'm excited about and really enjoying next week instead of mumbling through it right now.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Oh sure, blame me. :negative:

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Anias posted 'at 2' last week too when we played at 3. I'm pretty sure he's just in a different timezone. I assumed we would be playing at 3. But yeah, that's fine. Feel better.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
Yeah, if you're not up to it, then it's best to wait. See you next Saturday.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

I am indeed in CST...So our normal game time is 2 my time. Oops!

If you're still not feeling great, it's ok. We'll see you next week at the normal time.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

e: nevermind

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
No game tomorrow. Holy poo poo this head cold sucks.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Arivia posted:

No game tomorrow. Holy poo poo this head cold sucks.

Get better soon! Being sick is the worst.

Anias fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 20, 2013

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
If someone drops or something, I'd love to join. I guess the game I was DMing dissolved after I lost the ability to do it one week, and I'm currently looking for a game. I could have a character drawn up in 30 minutes at short notice. Pathfinder is the game I'm most comfortable in.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Your game dissolved after one week of downtime? That's harsh!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Firstborn posted:

If someone drops or something, I'd love to join. I guess the game I was DMing dissolved after I lost the ability to do it one week, and I'm currently looking for a game. I could have a character drawn up in 30 minutes at short notice. Pathfinder is the game I'm most comfortable in.

It's up to the other players, really. We're at a comfortable number right now, and adding any more would pretty much be at their prerogative. Also that sucks about your game!

In other news, we will be back at our regular time this Saturday! Feeling much better, and my apologies for the missed session. Treasure log should be up tomorrow, need to catch up on some more pbp stuff first today.

Also a question: way back when at the beginning we were discussing doing this over voice as opposed to the chat box on Roll20. Are people still interested in that? It would make our games run faster and probably be a bit more fun, but if someone doesn't have a microphone/doesn't want to change things at this point, that's totally okay too.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
I wouldn't mind trying voice, though I'm not entirely sure how good the microphone built into my laptop is.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

To both of these things my answer is the same: I am cool with whatever.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'm cool with whatever.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

I have a mic, and can do whatever. I don't have a webcam anymore because I also have a Bengal, but he is less interested in the microphone thus far.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
I'd like to do voice, since like Arivia said it makes things a lot smoother than waiting for people to type out things since there's less chance for a mix-up. Still, that's only a minor nitpick so if people want to continue with just text it's cool.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Loot from last session!

cloak of resistance +1, chain shirt, mwk spear, mwk light crossbow, portable alchemist’s laboratory, wand of cure light wounds (38 charges), gold wedding ring worth 75 gp, masterwork parade armour, +1 greataxe, 74 gp, masterwork katana, pot filled with a sparkly blue gel (oil of arcane mark), a small earthenware vial with a red claw painted on it (potion of cat’s grace), a scroll of parchment floating in a tube of grey liquid (scroll of endure elements in a potion of endure elements), gold necklace worth 50 gp.

As for XP, since I haven't updated that since you guys got to the castle: 1900 XP each.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Party resident mathematician, hoooo!

Total gold (including sold items); 199gp.

Individual gained gold: 39gp, 8sp.

Item toss-up

Asgall: +1 Greataxe, Cloak of Resistance +1
Ipomea: Wand of CLW, Scroll of Endure Elements in a potion of Endure Elements
Kalkun: Mwk Spear
Kiraj: Mwk Katana, Potion of Cat's Grace
Tryphon: Mwk Light Crossbow, Portable Alchemist's Laboratory, Chain Shirt, Oil of Arcane Mark

Up for grabs/selling: Mwk Parade Armor

As always, contest the split if you want something allocated to another person.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Unfortunately the katana appears to be of no use to me since it isn't a monk weapon, nor could I use it one-handed and anyway I only need one masterwork weapon. So if someone else wants it, go for it. Otherwise it will be sold.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Reminder I am at the beach with small children today (hope the game goes well)

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Anias posted:

Reminder I am at the beach with small children today (hope the game goes well)

Unfortunately, tragedy struck, and the game was postponed.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Hey Anias we missed you! Hope everything's okay.

Okay so fun session yesterday everyone.

I'm going to hand out 200 XP for good roleplaying/the duel, even if it wasn't quite overcome.

Here's my question: would you folks like to talk out where to go from here in the thread, or do you want to roleplay it out next session? In essence it's a choice between having a continuous narrative and talking about the situation in-character, or being able to get further faster in whatever you decide to do next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Personally I think the situation was set-up well enough to do it next session, so that has my vote. Also, gotta get that sweet, sweet roleplaying experience.

• Locked thread