Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Kiraj Ifrit Monk

pre:
Kiraj
Ifrit Monk (1) [Favored Class: Monk]
Lawful Good
Diety: Ziod
XP 0/2000

Languages
Common, Ignan

Ability Scores
STR: 17 [+3] 
DEX: 14 [+2] (12+2)
CON: 14 [+2]
INT:  7 [-2] 
WIS: 15 [+2] (17-2)
CHA:  9 [-1] (7+2)

Combat Stats
Init:  +4 = [2 DEX Mod] + [2 Trait Bonus]
HP:    10
BAB:   0
AC:    16 = 10 + [1 Shield] + [2 DEX Mod] (15 Touch) 
               + [2 WIS Mod] + [1 Dodge]  (13 Flat-footed)
Fort:  +4 = [2 Base] + [2 CON Mod]
Ref:   +4 = [2 Base] + [2 DEX Mod]
Will:  +4 = [2 Base] + [2 WIS Mod]
Speed: 30

Melee Attack (Temple Sword) +3, 1d8+3, 19-20/x2
                            FoB: +2/+2
             (Unarmed Strike) +3, 1d6+3
                              FoB: +2/+2
Ranged Attack (Shuriken) +2, 1d2+3, 10' Range
                         FoB: +1/+1
Stunning Fist (Stun) (1/day) (Ex) (DC 12)
CMB:  3  =  [0 BaB] + [3 STR Mod]
CMD: 18  =  [0 BaB] + [3 STR Mod] + [2 DEX Mod]
Hero Points: 1

Skills:
                     Total   Mod   Rank 
(C) Acrobatics (Dex)   6      2  + [1+3]
    Appraise (Int)    -2     -2
    Bluff (Cha)       -1     -1
(C) Climb (Str)        3      3
    Diplomacy (Cha)   -1     -1
    Disguise (Cha)    -1     -1
(C) EscapeArtist (Dex) 2      2
    Fly (Dex)          2      2
    Heal (Wis)         2      2
(C) Intimidate (Cha)  -1     -1
(C) Perception (Wis)   6      2 + [1+3]
(C) Ride (Dex)         2      2
(C) Sense Motive (Wis) 7      2 + [1+3]
(C) Stealth (Dex)      2      2
    Survival (Wis)     2      2
(C) Swim (Str)         3      3

Racial Features

Darkvision
Ifrits can see perfectly in the dark up to 60 feet.
Energy Resistance
Ifrits have fire resistance 5.
Spell-Like Ability (Sp)
Ifrits can use burning hands 1/day as a spell-like ability (caster level equals the ifrit's level).
Fire in the Blood
Ifrits with this racial trait mimic the healing abilities of the mephits, gaining fast healing 2 for 1
round anytime they take fire damage (whether or not this fire damage gets through their fire 
resistance). The ifrits can heal up to 2 hit points per level per day with this ability, after which
it ceases to function. This racial trait replaces fire affinity.

Traits

Reactionary: You gain a +2 trait bonus to Initiative checks.
Suspicious: You gain a +1 trait bonus on Sense Motive checks, and Sense Motive is always a class skill 
for you.

Feats

Dodge
You gain a +1 dodge bonus to your AC. A condition that makes you lose your Dex bonus to AC also makes you
lose the benefits of this feat.
Improved Unarmed Strike
You are considered to be armed even when unarmed - you do not provoke attacks of opportunity when you
attack foes while unarmed. Your unarmed strikes can deal lethal or nonlethal damage, at your choice.
Snapping Turtle Style
While using the Snapping Turtle Style feat with at least one hand free, you gain a +1 shield bonus to AC.
Stunning Fist
You must declare that you are using this feat before you make your attack roll (thus, a failed attack
roll ruins the attempt). Stunning Fist forces a foe damaged by your unarmed attack to make a Fortitude 
saving throw (DC 10 + 1/2 your character levels + your Wis modifier), in addition to dealing damage 
normally. A defender who fails this saving throw is stunned for 1 round (until just before your next 
turn). A stunned character drops everything held, can't take actions, loses any Dexterity bonus 
to AC, and takes a -2 penalty to AC. Constructs, oozes, plants, undead, incorporeal creatures, and 
creatures immune to critical hits cannot be stunned.
A monk may attempt a stunning attack a number of times per day equal to his monk level, plus one more 
time per day for every four levels he has in classes other than monk.

Class Features

Flurry of Blows -1/-1 (Ex)
By spending 1 point from his ki pool, a monk can make one additional attack at his highest attack bonus 
when making a flurry of blows attack.
AC Bonus 
When unarmored and unencumbered, the monk adds his Wisdom bonus (if any) to his AC and his CMD. In 
addition, a monk gains a +1 bonus to AC and CMD at 4th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every 
four monk levels thereafter, up to a maximum of +5 at 20th level.

These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the monk is flat-footed. He loses these 
bonuses when he is immobilized or helpless, when he wears any armor, when he carries a shield, or when he 
carries a medium or heavy load.
Stunning Fist (Ex)
At 1st level, the monk gains Stunning Fist as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites. 
At 4th level, and every 4 levels the reafter, the monk gains the ability to apply a new condition to the 
target of his Stunning Fist. This condition replaces stunning the target for 1 round, and a successful 
saving throw still negates the effect. 
At 4th level, he can choose to make the target fatigued. At 8th level, he can make the target sickened for 
1 minute. At 12th level, he can make the target staggered for 1d6+1 rounds. At 16th level, he can 
permanently blind or deafen the target. At 20th level, he can paralyze the target for 1d6+1 rounds.
The monk must choose which condition will apply before the attack roll is made. These effects do 
not stack with themselves (a creature sickened by Stunning Fist cannot become nauseated if hit 
by Stunning Fist again), but additional hits do increase the duration.
Unarmed Strike
At 1st level, a monk gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. A monk's attacks may be with fist, 
elbows, knees, and feet. This means that a monk may make unarmed strikes with his hands full. There
is no such thing as an off-hand attack for a monk striking unarmed. A monk may thus apply his full 
Strength bonus on damage rolls for all his unarmed strikes. Usually a monk's unarmed strikes deal lethal 
damage, but he can choose to deal nonlethal damage instead with no penalty on his attack roll. He has 
the same choice to deal lethal or nonlethal damage while grappling. A monk's unarmed strike is treated 
as both a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance 
or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons. A monk also deals more damage with his 
unarmed strikes than a normal person would.

Equipment
Starting Wealth: 40g
Current Wealth: 0g 4s
- Backpack (2g) 2lbs
- Bedroll (1s) 5lbs
- 20 Shuriken (4g) 0.1lbs
- Temple Sword (30g) 3lbs
- 5 Trail Rations (2g5s) 1lbs
- Waterskin (1g) 4lbs
Encumbrance: 21.08lbs Current
             86.00lbs Light
            173.00lbs Medium
            260.00lbs Heavy

(Selected Unique Source: Currently none)

quote:

Kiraj and his mother were driven from his hometown shortly after his birth due to his unusual and alarming heritage. Things were difficult as they drifted from place to place. Despite this, his mother over the years tried to instill upon him the positive qualities that would lead to him being a productive member of society. Kiraj, grateful to his mother and believing he was only making things harder for her, took off one day to attempt to make it on his own.

His unfavorable circumstances combined with his impulsive and brash personality soon led him down the path of a common criminal as he drifted from place to place. His life of crime eventually culminated in the murder of a merchant when a deal turned sour. Suddenly more aware of the path he was on and ashamed of what he had become despite his mother's efforts, he became incredibly distraught and fled into the wilderness once more. The next thing he would remember is wandering upon a monastery where, exhausted, he sought refuge. Despite living for many years, for an Ifrit he was still physically and mentally only on the cusp of adulthood. Perhaps out of pity, he was granted asylum after explaining what had happened on the condition that he would devote himself to training as a monk.

Roughly 20 years later, Kiraj stands at the archway marking the entrance to the monastery grounds looking down the dirt path that leads back into the open world. He believes that his time here has significantly changed him for the better but it was easy to leave his previous life behind while cooped up in the monastery. There was rarely time to think about anything else besides his training. Out there, old habits may be harder to break. He fidgets with his clothes and adjusts how his cloak rests on his shoulders almost unceasingly.

"... Are you sure this is a good idea?"
Galen, who has served as Kiraj's mentor since he arrived on the monastery's doorstep stands across from him. He clasps his hands on Kiraj's shoulders, prompting Kiraj to finally stop fidgeting and look back at him.
"Until we act, we're rarely sure of anything."
Kiraj sighs as he picks his pack up off the ground and slings it over his shoulders.
"What if something happens?"
The old man's expression becomes stern. "Remember, we can never erase the mistakes of our past but we can always strive to atone for them. That time for you is now. You will do what you believe is right. Now, go, before I have to throw you out."
He smiles and motions for Kiraj to go.

quote:

Ziod primarily represents the long pursuit of self-perfection and knowledge of oneself. However, the definition of "perfection" is left widely to interpretation among his followers. While this attracts all kinds and sometimes causes conflict, it is this freedom of interpretation and the goal it presents that attracted Kiraj to Ziod's worship. His idea of his ideal self is largely influenced by what he believes his mother would like to have seen him become and everything he wasn't before: a good, honest man.

Fresh out of the monastery, Kiraj took various odd jobs and mercenary contracts in order to put together some cash to leave the Firelands. It was during this time that he first met Asgall, the two of them being hired by the same employer. He found the halfling's company pleasant enough and they made a competent pair. However, he couldn't shake a certain feeling of alarm over his companion's occasionally wild and undisciplined fighting style.

As their party became whole, he found himself gravitating to chats with Aren as he felt they had much in common. They are both closer to the raw elements than most, both find guidance in their worship and he approves of Aren's efforts to live simply. Still, while he would be ashamed to admit it, he feels a tinge of envy whenever the pale fellow speaks of his people or culture as Kiraj has never had one to call his own. It is all their similarities that make this difference so much more striking to him.

Unsmart fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

I'll do many, many things for a Scooby Snack hero point.

Same account name over there.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Anias posted:

Invited both

Cool. Lot of downtime at work this week so I'll get the character up on there tomorrow.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Looks good. And I think I've got everything set now. Looking forward to Sat!

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Can't think of any issues with that unless someone doesn't like how convenient that is, for whatever reason. Let's see how it shakes out, yeah?

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

We go back and detail the trip in such a rich, colorful way that Aren feels like he experienced it himself. Also it miraculously cures his flu! Wow!

Anyway, yeah, fine with splitting and all that and I have no requests out of the stuff except the sword. Are we updating both the Obsidian sheet and here or just one?

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Arivia posted:

Mayor Ricar Thon

"oooo." You can see the mayor's face draw stern as you tell him the bad news. "Well, at least some of it was returned. Thank you, and here is your gold." The mayor passes out six small sacks, one for each of you. Opening your sack reveals one hundred shiny gold coins, all gleaming brightly like they were freshly minted.

Kiraj

"They wasted no time digging in. Your guys will see for themselves when they go get what's left." He also relays to Ricar what was lurking in the cavern-like area to the right of the fork. "We killed it but I'd tell your men to stay out of there, just in case more of them are hanging about."

Next, he opens the pouch and counts out half of the gold pieces before closing it and handing it back to Ricar.

"I want you to keep this. Use it to train a militia, build fences, whatever you think is best. Try to be ready if this happens again. Probably cheaper in the long run too, y'know?"

It seemed like the goblins got in and out without much hassle and he wasn't sure what about this situation worried him more: the apparent lack of foresight by the mayor or the discovery of the serpentine creature in the ruins. Being able to bend the whims of entire groups, maybe hordes, of goblins to serve a singular purpose could be a powerful ability. Still, he wanted to give Ricar the benefit of the doubt. He wanted to believe the sorry state of this town's defenses were due to complacency rather than incompetence.

Nothing I'm looking to buy right now. So I'm good on that front.

Unsmart fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 7, 2013

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

This time we encounter the Dreaded Goblin Pig! Will our heroes survive or will they all catch the swine flu?

Cue dramatic music, cut to commercial.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

I think the only one it would have applied to was Aren's throw. And he rolled a natural 19 anyway so I doubt it would have mattered.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

No argument here.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Ooo, no worries. Hope you feel better soon.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Cool. So we're totally killing a giant mantis at some point! Or many. So here: know thine enemy.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

I've got a pretty good idea of what Kiraj would want to do with his barring any emergencies but as it would require going back the way he came, it probably won't come up for a while (which is perfectly fine!)

quote:

3) What did you think about our first full-fledged adventure? Interesting? Boring? The combats probably weren't great - gremlins are a pain to fight - but did you enjoy some parts of them? What would you like to see more of, and what don't you want to see again?

It was fun! No major complaints really. Little slow in the beginning but I think that's mostly just a matter of us getting used to playing together as it's gotten faster and smoother each time. Especially conversations. We seem to more or less naturally taking turns as to who primarily drives each conversation, which is good because trying to have 6 people talk at once in text gets messy and bogs things down.

I think the combats were fine for 1st level. Yeah aura of unluck and the DR 5 was tough, especially with the terribly streaky dice we were having, but considering they seemed unable to do more than 1 damage each it all evened out. And yeah I knew what I was getting into making a monk. And not just a monk but a monk with a race that has a penalty to WIS, hah. Overall, a pretty good start imo!

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Updated sheet on Obsidian with the changes and also put up my session log! Woo! But if anyone has concerns about the monk changes it's not a big deal for me to keep tweaking the sheet for whatever is decided (though kind of running out of time before Saturday!)

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

NO!

Yeah!

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Anias posted 'at 2' last week too when we played at 3. I'm pretty sure he's just in a different timezone. I assumed we would be playing at 3. But yeah, that's fine. Feel better.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

To both of these things my answer is the same: I am cool with whatever.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Unfortunately the katana appears to be of no use to me since it isn't a monk weapon, nor could I use it one-handed and anyway I only need one masterwork weapon. So if someone else wants it, go for it. Otherwise it will be sold.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Oh, no worries lady! About tomorrow, ummmm, I'll need to get back to you on that.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Unfortunately it seems unlikely that I'll be able to be around today. But I'd feel bad if I was the only reason you guys didn't have a session today and wouldn't be upset if you guys went ahead without me this week.

Sorry.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Should be fine.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Megaflare posted:

Should be fine.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Is Sagan still away? If it'll just be 3 again I think we should just wait. I'm around though, whichever ya'll wanna do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Sorry for the late notice but I'm not going to be able to make it tomorrow.

• Locked thread