Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«31 »
Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

A million ducks in your religion.

Is there any reason at all in keeping the shutter down?

Oh, and is the nudity option funny or distressing? Is it Monty Python or The Magdalene Sisters?

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at Aug 8, 2013 around 19:29

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007

How am I supposed to be telling people's weight? I've found the game doesn't even "Disrepency Detected" when I obsessively check everyone's weight against themselves, so obviously I'm missing something.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Greaseman posted:

How am I supposed to be telling people's weight? I've found the game doesn't even "Disrepency Detected" when I obsessively check everyone's weight against themselves, so obviously I'm missing something.

It's been a while since I've played the beta, but don't people's passports or ID cards have height and weight info on them?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

What?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Oh, and is the nudity option funny or distressing? Is it Monty Python or The Magdalene Sisters?

The Magdalene Sisters. Its supposed to emphasize how dehumanizing and awful the whole process is.

And also how much of an rear end in a top hat you can be? "Oh, you're a citizen who's finally getting to see your son after six years of being a part? What's this, your passport is expired? DENIED BITCH ARSTOTSZKA TELLS YOU TO SUCK IT"

BlueGrot
Jun 25, 2010

Greaseman posted:

Cross reference with ID paper.

How many days does the story mode last?

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Greaseman posted:

Point at the value on their ID card, and the display for the scale in the bottom-right of your booth.

Weight discrepancies are handy because they lead to searches, which can lead to arrests and give you some time to look over the rest of their documents.

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Point at the value on their ID card, and the display for the scale in the bottom-right of your booth.

Weight discrepancies are handy because they lead to searches, which can lead to arrests and give you some time to look over the rest of their documents.

Oh man, I don't know how my eyes glazed over the scale so long.

Muchos gracias. Go Arskickers.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Oh mediaphage
you're so kuwaii!

A Thousand Credit Bribe you say?

No way this could ever go badly. Medicine and food and heat for all!

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

The inspector is a dick

Probably doesn't need a spoiler but 100% true

AATREK CURES KIDS
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

nielsm posted:

Uh yeah okay, either you're with that secret network or you're against them.

Yeah, about that...

After they saved me from the Ministry of Income, I got a message saying that a member of the Order would arrive that day and a little decoder. However, I never got a coded message or saw a member of the Order. Was I supposed to do something differently? I just processed everyone correctly and cleared about 15 people.

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012

I had the same issue. No idea what's up with that.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Vanilla Surprise takes on a whole new meaning.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

A Thousand Credit Bribe you say?

No way this could ever go badly. Medicine and food and heat for all!

I'm sure not burning that comes back to bite you. It's an easy traitor tell if a dude starts living way outside his pay grade.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Oh mediaphage
you're so kuwaii!

Sighence posted:

I'm sure not burning that comes back to bite you. It's an easy traitor tell if a dude starts living way outside his pay grade.

I took the bribe and moved up a house grade and now they've taken away all my money and I'm stuck in the more expensive place while they investigate. Basically exactly what you might expect

Also the upgrades make this way less annoying to play.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Chamale posted:

Yeah, about that...

After they saved me from the Ministry of Income, I got a message saying that a member of the Order would arrive that day and a little decoder. However, I never got a coded message or saw a member of the Order. Was I supposed to do something differently? I just processed everyone correctly and cleared about 15 people.

The decoder with the dotted line box at the top and five holes? Lay it on top of a suspicious passport and see what you can see.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Not gonna wear that.

Okay I've managed to begin hearing the "next!" sound clip as "PRAY FOR ETERNITY!"

Edit: Is it possible to get someone who's just missing a paper detained?

nielsm fucked around with this message at Aug 8, 2013 around 21:36

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Do rent/food/heat costs go up over time? If not, it should be enough to break even by correctly processing 10 people a day (or 6 on Easy Mode). The obvious problem with this is days where terrorist attacks close you down early, but I'm managing to process around 12 a day so far.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Icedude posted:

Do rent/food/heat costs go up over time? If not, it should be enough to break even by correctly processing 10 people a day (or 6 on Easy Mode). The obvious problem with this is days where terrorist attacks close you down early, but I'm managing to process around 12 a day so far.

Food does if you adopt your niece after her mother is sent to the Gulag.

How do you provide a reason for confiscating passports? I can't find where to click.

Squeegy
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
too short to worry
She said life's
too long to wait
It's too short not
to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Game is as amazing as expected. Best parts: the terrible bomb and KILLER SIDEBURNS.

Republican Vampire posted:

How do you provide a reason for confiscating passports? I can't find where to click.

Just drop it in and let them through with the thing it prints for you. You only need a reason to deny.

Fag Boy Jim
Oct 7, 2007

unban longavs

Republican Vampire posted:

You don't. You just confiscate them.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Icedude posted:

Rent and Heat go up if you decide to try for a bigger apartment. If moving up to a class 7 dwelling has any effects, I've not seen them yet.

AATREK CURES KIDS
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Rent and Heat go up if you decide to try for a bigger apartment. If moving up to a class 7 dwelling has any effects, I've not seen them yet.

The warm fuzzy feeling of providing your children with a future. Many decisions in this game are about the balance between warm fuzzy feelings and cold hard cash.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Oh mediaphage
you're so kuwaii!

Icedude posted:

You can move to higher class housing, which increases your rent. No clue what it does yet.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

When I got the $1000 from that terrorist group/cult/whatever I figured it was going to bite me in the rear end. That's why I decided to lay low, not upgrade anything, not move into a better place and just keep everybody alive. Then I was kinda pissed when you eventually get game over because of it despite not flaunting your wealth because your neighbours turn you in. How the hell did they know!? Bullshit man, I earned that money.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Not gonna wear that.

Ez posted:

When I got the $1000 from that terrorist group/cult/whatever I figured it was going to bite me in the rear end. That's why I decided to lay low, not upgrade anything, not move into a better place and just keep everybody alive. Then I was kinda pissed when you eventually get game over because of it despite not flaunting your wealth because your neighbours turn you in. How the hell did they know!? Bullshit man, I earned that money.

If you perform the next task for the secret order correctly they fix stuff so your charges get cleared.

Frungy!
May 2, 2013

...one of those questy kind of things.

Man, I felt bad for detaining Jorji. Sure he was smuggling drugs, but we were becoming such good pals and and he stayed his friendly and understanding self even as the guards took him away. I'll miss that old rascal.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

nielsm posted:

If you perform the next task for the secret order correctly they fix stuff so your charges get cleared.

I couldn't figure out how to do that. They said someone would come along to fix it, but I didn't notice anyone out of the ordinary that day.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004
I can't read or write

Manwithastick posted:

See I instantly hated the fact I bought this on steam rather than GOG - they got it early AND a map!

Is there any way to get this "Rule Book" and "Poster" along with a steam code? Funny thing is I was just starting to work on a printable map with the passport issuing cities.

Squeegy
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
too short to worry
She said life's
too long to wait
It's too short not
to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Frungy! posted:

Man, I felt bad for detaining Jorji. Sure he was smuggling drugs, but we were becoming such good pals and and he stayed his friendly and understanding self even as the guards took him away. I'll miss that old rascal.

A) You're a monster, and B) you probably ruined your chance at (IMO) the best ending. Jorji comes around on Day 29 and helps you flee the country for his own home country.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

Frungy! posted:

You're a monster. I just finished the game and I'm itching to try and do a perfect run, make no mistakes, don't help the ORDER, and see if the Inspector doesn't get you executed or you're forced to flee.

This game's amazing.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

hella

God drat this game is amazing even with all the gently caress ups from forgetting specific orders because I'm too busy fiddling through the book to check things it's still fun.

A question though. If you get an ending, do you go back to day 1 afterwards? Also are there any main things I should be doing like taking bribes and taking a warning? my family has been fine for about roughly 18 days or so but I took a break after tranquilizing a terrorist for the millionth time. Also I now have a key from the order and can use the sniper rifle but I'm afraid to use it

Squeegy
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
too short to worry
She said life's
too long to wait
It's too short not
to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dizz posted:

God drat this game is amazing even with all the gently caress ups from forgetting specific orders because I'm too busy fiddling through the book to check things it's still fun.

A question though. If you get an ending, do you go back to day 1 afterwards? Also are there any main things I should be doing like taking bribes and taking a warning? my family has been fine for about roughly 18 days or so but I took a break after tranquilizing a terrorist for the millionth time. Also I now have a key from the order and can use the sniper rifle but I'm afraid to use it

Killing innocents will get you arrested. Getting an ending just forces you to restart from the beginning of the last day you woke up on. It's a very good system.

Frungy!
May 2, 2013

...one of those questy kind of things.

Squeegy posted:

A) You're a monster, and B) you probably ruined your chance at (IMO) the best ending. Jorji comes around on Day 29 and helps you flee the country for his own home country.

Oh, never mind, he came back as always. Apparently the guards went easy on him.

Obsidius
Nov 18, 2009

If you ever drop your
keys into a river of molten
lava, let 'em go, because
man, they're gone.

This game is awesome and depressing at the same time. The woman who was going to see her son, I refused her entry and all I can think of is if she's ok or did I send her to a lovely death. Also Jorji, the guy who had no passport and claimed not to know he needed one returned a couple of days later with a homemade passport that looked like a child had made it, I felt sorry for him and let him through, after all it had "PRE APPROVED OK" on it so I guess it had to be legit.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.

Bold Robot posted:

I couldn't figure out how to do that. They said someone would come along to fix it, but I didn't notice anyone out of the ordinary that day.

I forgot what country the person's from, but overlay the paper on top of people's passports. The correct one will spell out EZIC.

Anyone know what the passports are on the budget screen? The ones above the booth upgrades.

Mordecai fucked around with this message at Aug 9, 2013 around 00:39

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

For some reason this game reminds me a lot of Floor 13. I think it's because in both you play a bad guy bureaucrat in the cold war eighties and have to make decisions based on limited information.

Obsidius posted:

This game is awesome and depressing at the same time. The woman who was going to see her son, I refused her entry and all I can think of is if she's ok or did I send her to a lovely death. Also Jorji, the guy who had no passport and claimed not to know he needed one returned a couple of days later with a homemade passport that looked like a child had made it, I felt sorry for him and let him through, after all it had "PRE APPROVED OK" on it so I guess it had to be legit.

Jorji is the best. Even when he's being hauled off to prison for drugs smuggling the worst he'll say is that it's okay, he knows you have a really lovely job.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

What?

I knew Jorji was going to be smuggling something but the way he says "Is drugs!" just melted my heart. Oh Jorji, I just can't stay mad at you.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

1stGear posted:

I knew Jorji was going to be smuggling something but the way he says "Is drugs!" just melted my heart. Oh Jorji, I just can't stay mad at you.

He is definitely worth burning through your warnings for.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

hella

I was so happy for Jorji when he finally got the proper papers to get in. I was also relieved to never have him waste my time until he came back smuggling drugs

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

I love this game so much.

e for content: I've been arrested for three different reasons, not the least of which was for simply being too honest. I love this game so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ali Alkali
Apr 23, 2008

e: about some bad moments

"Sorry Jorji"

Though I felt way more bad when I missed detaining a suicide bomber and the guard in green got killed.

«31 »