Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
About surveillance, there's lots of things that you can do to improve your (kinda fuzzy on the english-language word here) metrics i.e. what data you get out from your equipment. Like magtriggers on every door, pressure plates, that whole 3d laser scanning thing and so on.

However, improved metrics don't necessarily translate to something working better. If you use a camera system for surveillance, you probably want to know how a possible intruder looks like and what they are doing. Improving your metrics doesn't really add much to that, especially since the costs start to go up ten- or hundredfold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

themrguy posted:

Interesting answers, thanks.
Have you ever installed any kind of countermeasures that did anything but keep people out? Like things that weren't totally defensive, like traps or incapacitating gas or something along those lines? Are those even A Thing at all?

They're not a thing in general due to liability issues because the chance of someone working somewhere failing to enter an alarm code an triggering an alarm is always greater than actual B&E. Some lethal defensive security measures have been around at various points and various installations in history, but generally speaking, they're not a thing. Unless you count cheap systems that spray out OC when a motion sensor is triggered.

And I wouldn't get one of those, motion detectors are rather notorious about giving false alarms.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Cameras aren't still my specific area of expertise, but I can tell you that your budget is way too low. It's the kind of budget that makes me yell to clients.

• Locked thread