Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Are there any good keyless entry systems for houses that work just like cars? I like the idea of just hitting my remote and having the alarm switch on or off the the front door lock/unlock. Obviously there'd be a keyhole and alarm panel for those times the power goes dead.
I'd hope you could make one a lot more secure than a car so people couldn't sniff the code or something. Someone breaking into my car is less of an issue to me than my house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Midjack posted:

It's expense and complexity, and you need a hand free to work the fob anyway, so I haven't run into anyone yet who put one in and thought it was worth it.

Thanks for the info, but you need a free hand to operate your car as well and keyless entry seems pretty popular with those. I would also get endless amusement from my front door going "boop boop" and having the porch-lights flash when I unlock it. :)
It's just one of those things I think I would like without being too gimmicky and possibly annoying like having biometric security on your front door.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

KillHour posted:

How about with an app on your phone?

http://www.crestron.com/about/press_room/press_releases/show_release.asp?press_release_id=1780

Hope you have 5 figures lying around.

Urgh, that looks like poo poo, with a price to match. How can they even justify five figures for something as simple as that?
Guess I'll have to stick with old faithful key entry for my new house. drat this Luddite existence!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Yeah, that looks like the sort of thing I was thinking of. Cheers!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Thomamelas posted:

It's like that old chestnut of "The Video Must Be At X Framerate/in X codec/encrypted/watermarked for it to be valid in court". It gets tossed around a lot but the rules of evidence for it basically can be summed up as does the department swear it didn't gently caress with the video? Yes? Then no issue.

It's funny you said this. Back when I worked computer forensics for the State police it used to come up every now and again that we could buy cameras that would hash each photo taken and write them to a CD so you could prove they weren't altered.
One of the cops rightly said why bother with that poo poo when you can just ask the photographer under oath "is this a copy of the photo you took?"

e: I might add that CCTV systems were a total nightmare for us. Every single unit used a custom codec and if we had access to the running unit it would only output 15 minutes at a time to a CD or something. Urgh. Hopefully things have improved in the 6 years or so since I've had to deal with them like that.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jul 17, 2013

• Locked thread