Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1550NM
Aug 31, 2004
Frossen fisk
Please go deeper into the card to reader details. I'm currently wondering why my EM4102 cards are happy to work with my HiTag2 based reader, but not the other way around. Oh the joys of dissimilar access control on the same premise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1550NM
Aug 31, 2004
Frossen fisk
The keep it simple premise is something to strive for even in security. I have inherited support for an access control/intrusion detection/camera surveillance/every thing and the kitchen sink including laundromat control system. It's a god-drat nightmare, global overrides local options, sometimes or the other way around. Or global and local setting must match up or you end up in a dead zone with nothing working even tough global setting should have precedent. Camera integration is atrocious.

Breaking everything up into three separate systems cut false positives and trouble calls to almost zero.

1550NM
Aug 31, 2004
Frossen fisk
What rules and regulations if any governs the deployment of cameras in your part of the world ?. Here in Northern Europe, it's fairly strict. All security camera installations have to be registered with a central government agency, signs warning about the installation must be provided and strictly speaking if your camera sees into public spaces that must be masked out, as only the state from counties and up are allowed to monitor that. No recordings can be stored more than 7 days, unless a crime has been recorded, then no more that 30 days, and so forth.

The public places bit and storage part is usually the most sinned against. With hilarious result like the police dragging their feet in getting the recordings, showing up after 40 days, getting the recording and then fining the operator.

1550NM
Aug 31, 2004
Frossen fisk
Quite the difference then, the reasons that we have these regulations over here is that back in the late seventies, just as digital databases and cross referencing started to be viable formed, an agency to overlook how the data was used. Most of the time it's a great bulwark against misuse of data, be that things collected from access control, surveillance, gps tracking or the other myriad of ways you could be traced.

Not surprisingly they seem to loving loathe Google and Facebook.

1550NM
Aug 31, 2004
Frossen fisk
Well, privacy expectations here are much much greater, even in public. Hell there's been outcry against motion triggered wildlife cameras recently, because even in the depth of the woods you cant expect to not be seen. But the rules are loosening up, albeit only a little, mostly because how people use new technology.

Edit: All of which makes sure that trying to sell surveillance equipment is interesting, because people would like to see, but not be seen.

1550NM
Aug 31, 2004
Frossen fisk
For the systems that I have available, about 30% for the readers, and about 90% premium for the cards.

1550NM
Aug 31, 2004
Frossen fisk
Well, I was mayhap a bit quick on the pricing, as I went for the cheapest Mifare and 125khz prox card in my catalogue. If you go for matching capabilities say 1k rom, R/W able etc, the 125khz is as you say slightly more expensive. The readers still command a premium over here for some reason tough.

1550NM
Aug 31, 2004
Frossen fisk

Midjack posted:

The problem is that IR light doesn't trigger the human iris to contract so you get all the light flooding into your retina. Effects will be the same as a visible light source of the same power shining into your dilated eye. Most LEDs aren't going to be bright enough to cause permanent damage; more likely will be spots in your vision for a little while and a headache for bright IR LEDs. This is also why the FDA is really strict with IR lasers, because those will cause nearly instant damage and you have no indication what's happening until the damage is done.

Which is a good reason to also be careful around fibre optic networking gear. I poo poo a brick at work when a 28dbm source was freely radiating out of unplugged and unscreened distribution frame, in eye height.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1550NM
Aug 31, 2004
Frossen fisk
Not overly fond of the dummy cameras. They're all fun and games until something happens despite their presence.

• Locked thread