Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I'll take better pics when I get the room decluttered but for now: drums!!

Actual question: I have the Alesis Strike Pro SE. I've never had to take anything apart in any meaningful way, but I need to replace my kick drum head:

I patched over it for now and it's holding, but I assume I should replace this. Is there anything hugely different between this and replacing a standard acoustic kick drum head? I can find lots of video resources online for that but nothing for these, so I'm guessing they're effectively the same?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taters
Jun 13, 2005

On the subject of setting up a snare from the previous page, tuning the drum and dialing in the snare response are two separate but related tasks. And it is very possible to ruin a thin snare side head by over cranking it. In fact, its quite common. Red flags that a snare head has been ruined are the bottom hoop being uneven, the logo being off center, or the bottom bearing edge actually protruding out from the level of the hoop. Once you know to look for it you'll see it everywhere, a tragic symptom of the "crank it and forget it" school of mediocre snare set up.

To do it properly first tune the drum with the snares removed, or at least hanging off the butt plate and out of the way. Everyone has a tuning scheme they like, but in general the batter and snare heads will either be the same pitch or the snare head will be higher/tighter. The snare head being lower gives a poor response. The word "response" here refers to the interaction of the batter head, the air column in the drum, the snare head, and the snares resting across it. All these elements work together to determine the volume, duration, and sonic qualities of the snare's vibrations against the snare head. I tend to set mine a perfect 4th above the batter head (at first, this changes later). Make sure the snare bed (the recess in the bottom of the shell that the wires rest in) is aligned with the holes on the bottom hoop.

Next inspect the snare wires closely. Manufacturing defects are *extremely* common in modern snare wires. I'd estimate 1/2 the Puresound wires I've ever seen had manufacturing defects and its been the #1 source of drummers I know not being able to get a satisfying snare response. Specifically we're looking at the spot welds of the wires themselves to the end plates. This is often so poorly done it can be determined at a glance. When this is produced correctly, the top of all the wires is at the exact same height. A good test for this is a flat, hard surface you can rest the snares on and rock them back and forth to see if there is a high wire sticking out. If they've been manufactured correctly they wont rock at all, they will lay perfectly flat on both sides. If they do rock, return them. If you really need to get the drum set up and don't have time for that consider actually cutting the offending wire out of the set.

So now the drum is tuned and we've determined the wires aren't defective and our snare bed is aligned. Clamp the wires firmly in the butt plate, run them through the bottom hoop and attach them loosely to the snare throw off. The throw off will have some sort of travel gear on it. For most this is a worm gear under a dial that is used to adjust the movement of the throw arm. Loosen this all the way then dial it back about two turns. Engage the snare throw off so its tight, pull the cords/strap on that end of the snares tight through the throw off and clamp them down. If you strike the drum now the snares will be pretty loose sounding; they are supposed to. Now we use all the travel in our tension dial to get the snares up to the preferred tension for the snare response we are looking for.

Most people stop here, and if it sounds good thats great. Often however there is still ringing, unwanted buzzing, or sympathetic vibrations with the toms. The last one of these never really goes away, but the first two can be addressed by asymmetrically tuning the snare head. What this means is to start making small adjustments to the just the lugs on either side of the snare bed, 4 lugs total. Leave the rest of the bottom lugs alone. By adjusting just the 4 lugs beside the snares we're adjusting the tension of the strip of the head that is directly underneath the snares and evaluating the changes in the snare response. Usually this will involve down tuning these lugs to reduce tension, but I've worked with drums were slightly increasing the tension produced better results, especially on tall drums. The taller the drum, the larger the air column inside the shell and the farther away the snare head is from the batter head, which reduces the snare response while making the drum itself louder. Tall drums boom while shallow drums crack.

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

My combined home office/studio/workshop in the corner of an unfinished basement.

Having the exposed joists above is actually pretty handy for mounting things to the ceiling, I picked up a gopro a couple months ago to record performance video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCVxsmW6nXY

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^
:nice:

Drummer having a rough one, but also :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEZV4WmDoYk

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

achilles surgery…double kick

Catching up on this thread. I’ve played with both right and left handed players that would switch their foot setup (hi hat and bass drum) to the other side to increase their independence, timing, and muscle. And also for fun. You can do that, and I’d look for exercises specific to the style you’re after with it, grid it out, and run it up. Intention ahead of expectation.

I’m also a drummer that had a pretty extreme arm break and had to come back from that. I would love to talk to anyone working up their craft after leaving and coming back (for any reason), working through things that used to work and doesn’t anymore, and/or how it feels through recovery. Mine was restlessness, intensity, curiosity, etc; also pain, doubt, isolation, confusion. I learned a whole new way to think about drumming after having a physical limitation placed on me. I tried to equate it to the idea of working with musical tools with intentional limitations. This makes you get creative and when you find others into that, you realize how truly limitless and creative we all are.

If you’re injured, what you’re suggesting is a good way to work cardio and balance by focusing on what you have but don’t overdo it and start messing with your injured foot until you’re healed and ready to work both together for what it sounds like you’re after (double bass). After doctor says. If you’re good to jog you can work both legs then. Up. Slowly.

I really want to hear from you how it’s going. We’re all students of the moment via movement, decorating time, be water, etc. That said, how are you feeling? Don’t push it. It’s the grid. Slow and gradual gets you there.

I’m nobody but hope it’s getting better for you either way.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

jeeeesus

I was not familiar with Roni Kaspi but I certainly am now. and good lord these cymbals/hats sound amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LqwB1-ZUpA

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

What's that crash/ride she's playing with the "k" (R?) on it? Sounds lovely af.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Literally A Person posted:

What's that crash/ride she's playing with the "k" (R?) on it? Sounds lovely af.

looks like a zildjian kerope, their high end vintage k inspired line.

https://zildjian.com/collections/cymbals-drum-set-k-family-kerope

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Great.

:retrogames:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I don't know if there's a better thread for A/T on regional percussion, if so sorry and please redirect me.

MY GIRLFRIEND saw a peculiar percussion instrument on TV ( S01E7 of Love Is Blind: Brazil), and we're stumped trying to work out the name so we can see if we can find one.

For those without Netflix, we're dealing with a wooden percussion instrument that is small enough to be in a lap, though not exactly small. It's a more or less perfect trapeze shaped box, that the player tapped on the sides (though it's not visible if the sides have skins or wood/metal crash surfaces), and then on two holes. One hole was bigger than the other, located on the top surface, and it made a "BLOOP" noise, sort of like an Indian tablas.

It was played in the home of an Iranian-Brazilian family, but wiki pages on persian percussion instruments turn up nothing.

Thanks in advance!

Tias fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Feb 24, 2024

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Sounds like a Cajon or Djembe

Just image search and see

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Tias posted:

wooden percussion instrument

more or less perfect trapeze shaped box

made a "BLOOP" noise

:thunk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWa6gVunVLE

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Bonzo posted:

Sounds like a Cajon or Djembe

Just image search and see

neither of those are trapezoids though.

could be a type of slit drum, like the right most one in this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ4vw8ARLK8

Tias
May 25, 2008

None of those, no. They were beat by hand, not with stick, and had holes on top, that were also slapped to make the bloop noise.

Here's a still of it being played

https://imgur.com/a/mmqBQlY

Tias fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 24, 2024

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

looks like a lap cajon. they come in a lotta different shapes/sizes. couldn’t find that exact brand, but there are similar if you google

Tias
May 25, 2008

Please read my post again, and look at the picture. This instrument clearly has two holes on top, that, when hit, make a "bloop" noise sort of like a tablas. A cajon does not.

Have we found some super rare instrument? This is driving me nuts.

Waarg
Apr 21, 2005

Thrashing in the waves

Look up "Gildo Cajon"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtm3kdpf2Es

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKxECEXhAmI

great fill concepts that I use a lot. I love that they flow right back into a groove every time no matter how you put them together.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

my favorite kind of Youtube cover: no fancy lighting, angles, effects. just turning your camera on in your practice room and ripping it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzXZdvdpX98

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

hello!

im trying to put together a basic little e-drum setup here, but i have no clue what i am doing. basically i want to have a minimal, tiny and easy to pack away/move around kind of setup. i am thinking just a hihat pedal + a hihat, snare drum and kick.

i picked up some used stuff for an ok price today: a CY-5 which i'll use for the hihat, an FD-8 hihat pedal that i can presumably use to open/close the hihat? as well as a PDX-8 which i'll use for a snare. still looking around for a kick pedal.

so as far as i gather, i will now need some sort of module. ideally i want a module i can just hook straight into my computer to use with a DAW (midi? usb?). don't need any onboard bells and whistles - what is the cheapest most barebones solution here that will let everything function as it should?

also i suppose i need cables to hook to the pads/pedals. these are all just normal TRS cables?

and in terms for stands, ideally i want to avoid having a whole-rear end e-drum type stand, and go for some individual stands for the hihat and snare instead, is that easily doable in terms of how they are mounted? how does this work help

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

You could try for an Alesis brain unit, which are usually on the low end. Once you MIDI/USB out to your laptop then you can get any sound you want.

The cables should be standard and you can likely get them from monoprice or sweetwater. For stands just scour pawn shops and craigslist, I doubt you'll need much.

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older
Have a look at eDRUMin for a MIDI-only module.
Or if you've got an audio interface with a bunch of inputs, you may be able to skip the module entirely

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

One thing to be aware of is a lot of the cheaper modules use an "octopus" cable. If you buy a used module that uses one of these it should come with it.

Most Roland kits, even old ones, are sufficient for DAW use though the newer ones have very convenient USB hookups. The older ones you might have to get a MIDI>USB adaptor.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Thanks! You made her day <3

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Fierce Brosnan posted:

Have a look at eDRUMin for a MIDI-only module.
Or if you've got an audio interface with a bunch of inputs, you may be able to skip the module entirely

Holy poo poo. I had no idea this existed. Thank you for posting that.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

wow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ7oqWdMvt8

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

So Alesis just dropped a new flagship - the Alesis Strata Prime. $3500 and apparently they just stuck BFD in the module for the sounds.

I still probably wouldn't buy it considering my history with their crappy hardware, but I am intrigued with the module. At least the Pearl Mimic Pro has some competition now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=959j2LX9xRA

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

I love watching paid reviews of Alesis kits. Just a guy shouting YEAH IT'S GREAT while making tin can noises as the rack rattles around drums bouncing wildly.

But, drat, @ $400 for a whole kit I get why people are buying them.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

One thing I get concerned with is durability. If I lug that around for a few years, what shape is it going to be in? How easy is it to repair or get parts?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Probably bad shape, if my experience is representative. My Strike Pro pads failed one after another. They were complete poo poo. They apparently redesigned the pads with the Strike Pro SE but my cymbals also failed. Also the hats never worked correctly and constantly missed inputs. They're just cheaply produced poo poo, full stop. That's why they cost less than Roland. And it's why I will pretty much only buy Roland now, though Yamaha is probably okay too.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
My strike pro SE is still mostly going strong 3 years later, but there's definitely some wear & tear - i need to replace one crash whose choke has stopped working entirely and I have to occasionally restart the drum brain after it stops recognizing my kick

65 drums did a review on the strata prime as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ59fuMh4qY&t=572s

He echoed my immediate concerns: it's more expensive than the strike pro SE was when it was released, has 1 fewer cymbal, and is back to using pads instead of half-shells

kumba fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 21, 2024

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

JNCO BILOBA posted:

I’m also a drummer that had a pretty extreme arm break and had to come back from that. I would love to talk to anyone working up their craft after leaving and coming back (for any reason), working through things that used to work and doesn’t anymore, and/or how it feels through recovery. Mine was restlessness, intensity, curiosity, etc; also pain, doubt, isolation, confusion. I learned a whole new way to think about drumming after having a physical limitation placed on me. I tried to equate it to the idea of working with musical tools with intentional limitations. This makes you get creative and when you find others into that, you realize how truly limitless and creative we all are.

Speaking more on guitar side here, but in 2019 I severed a bunch of nerves in my right hand pointer finger. I couldn't hold a pick, so I spent the next six months re-learning how to play with adjusted technique. I'd finally gotten it close enough, then I developed a massive ganglion cyst on the right hand, in between the pointer and middle tendons.

That hosed me. I could no longer alternate pick at a mid speed (only very slow and very fast), and as a result approx 75% of the songs I'd written became unplayable. It was such a gut-punch after spending so much time on relearning how to play.
So I hunkered down, decided to focus on what I could do, and really tried to push my playing within my physical limitations. Ironically, soloing was the thing that seemed to work best, an area I'd barely touched in 20 years of playing. I started to really try to mentally plan my soloing bars in advance, practiced humming notes and playing along at-speed, and focused on the lightest touch possible.

I also picked drums back up during this period, after a couple-year break. That became my way of burning some of the frustration I had, as there were still hard physical limitations with guitar. That was my lifeline to sanity, and as a result of needing to relearn guitar I decided to try to actually figure out some better drumming techniques instead of the self-taught nonsense I'd done before. I was able to get way better at rolls, started to actually figure out how to move my body to transition between toms quickly, got infinitely better at not tensing up, and recorded some of my favorite drum parts I've done.

And now, in 2024, I've just started the next step of relearning; finally got surgery to remove the cyst, so I need to re-learn how to alternate pick at a mid speed. What's fascinating is my hand just doesn't know how to do it anymore; I try using muscle memory, but nothing happens. So I've gotta drill down and learn what muscles have atrophied, and figure out some practice for regaining it.

Not gonna lie, the journey has been pretty rough at times, but I've definitely expanded as a player in ways I don't think I would've had the injuries not happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI3InN1VUbU

notably, Estepario mapped one of the tom rims to a china cymbal presumably because of the lack of that 4th cymbal

but he's been playing the kit for ~30 hours a week for the last 4 months and he appears to be very happy with it

called my local guitar center and they're supposed to have one setup in the next week or two, gonna go check it out