Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I don't know if there's a better thread for A/T on regional percussion, if so sorry and please redirect me.

MY GIRLFRIEND saw a peculiar percussion instrument on TV ( S01E7 of Love Is Blind: Brazil), and we're stumped trying to work out the name so we can see if we can find one.

For those without Netflix, we're dealing with a wooden percussion instrument that is small enough to be in a lap, though not exactly small. It's a more or less perfect trapeze shaped box, that the player tapped on the sides (though it's not visible if the sides have skins or wood/metal crash surfaces), and then on two holes. One hole was bigger than the other, located on the top surface, and it made a "BLOOP" noise, sort of like an Indian tablas.

It was played in the home of an Iranian-Brazilian family, but wiki pages on persian percussion instruments turn up nothing.

Thanks in advance!

Tias fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Feb 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

None of those, no. They were beat by hand, not with stick, and had holes on top, that were also slapped to make the bloop noise.

Here's a still of it being played

https://imgur.com/a/mmqBQlY

Tias fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 24, 2024

Tias
May 25, 2008

Please read my post again, and look at the picture. This instrument clearly has two holes on top, that, when hit, make a "bloop" noise sort of like a tablas. A cajon does not.

Have we found some super rare instrument? This is driving me nuts.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Thanks! You made her day <3