Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Didn't see it mentioned recently:

E-drum tip: if you have a MacBook, buy and download something like Addictive Drums/EZ Drummer/Superior Drummer, buy a midi-> usb cord, hook drums up to computer, run software through Garage Band. Voila, your drums sound exponentially better, you can record them, etc. Latency isn't a problem for me.

Obviously this works doe PCs too but you might need to download a driver to reduce latency and a program to pump it through.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Duke Chin posted:

I've had a TD-20 set for like 8-9 years, a PC, reaper, 2x presonus firestudios and I've STILL never bothered to hook up the TD-20 -> midi -> my computer

What the gently caress is wrong with me? :v:

Doo itttt. Then try a nice, natural sounding roll on your snare. Ahhh.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I have no idea. I just have the most basic Addicitive Drums into Garageband set up and I still hardly know what I'm doing in terms of manipulating the actual drum samples.

So I haven't been up on the latest and greatest E-drums but I guess they have a new $7500 TD-50? I just listened to it on Youtube and laughed. After all these years they still sound like poo poo.

e: after some more listening it doesn't sound THAT awful, I guess. which is what you want when you're dropping over $7k.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 24, 2017

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Hah. So I plugged in my headphones straight into the TD-4 module for the hell of it (I haven't played without a VST in like four years). I gotta say... it felt snappier. I'm thinking there actually is some latency that isn't immediately noticeable but you can feel if you go back and forth.

The VST sounds sooo much better, and if recording I would definitely use it, but I think for just regular practice I'm going to stick with the module.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The Alesis Strike Pro is $2300 bucks and comes with 11 pieces, including a huge fuckin 14" snare, 14" floor toms and four big cymbals. This is like a third of the list price to the comparable Roland TD-50 (comparable in pads, if not module).

The module isn't the absolute greatest but it's almost as good as the top Roland's, and sounds pretty decent compared to the Pearl Mimic.

Anyone every try this kit? It seems like an incredible value. For me pad size/quality trumps module sounds - I'm not trying to gig or professionally record with this thing, I just want a good feeling kit that won't make my neighbors kill me.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Bonzo posted:

I have a Pearl ePro set which has Red Box which is the father of the Mimic and I really prefer it. The heads aren't mesh but all the drum sizes are normal and I don't feel like I'm playing Rock Band. I wouldn't use the brain to record or perform at an important gig but you can always just run everything through a MacBook and use better sounds.

I think with Roland you are really paying for the brain unit. I think the Mimc is around 5k which is why I've not bothered with it yet.

Interesting, I hadn't really considered these acoustic-conversion type electronic kits before. Also looking at the Nfuzd Nspire, too.

I'm a little concerned about the noise level, though. It may be a pad but you're still hitting it through an acoustic drum, which must be kind of loud, right?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Pulled the trigger on the Alesis Strike Pro. Too good of a package at too good of a price to pick anything else. Seems like most of the initial problems were ironed out with firmware updates, though I am prepared to buy some used VH-11 hats. I'll report back once I get some playing time on it.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Can't speak to the specific samples but I feel like there's substantially less machinegunning with this kit, whereas it always stuck out to me a little bit when I heard or tried the TD-20. In any case the TD-20 was the standard for like a decade so if this is around that quality I'll be satisfied. I put more of a priority on pad size and feel than the specific sounds coming out of the module since nothing outside of a MImic Pro is going to sound THAT great.

This is priced around the TD-25KV. Nice module, quality kit for sure, but I could not stomach spending $2500 for 8" and 10" pads. I actually thought long and hard about the TD50... "only" $800 more than the TD30k and the new digital snare and ride really do seem pretty fantastic. But couldn't justify more than twice the price of the Alesis considering what you get with this package.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The kit arrived today. I expected the hi-hats to be finicky I guess, but they're completely broken and aren't usable at all. I have to really press down hard for it to register the hats closed, and even then it's inconsistent. It's kind of astounding that they're still selling the product like this. Think I'm going to try to just use my old hat from the TD-4 for now and contact Alesis.

Generally the pads feel good and the module sounds are decent, not spectacular. Also after playing on a TD-4 for the past 6 or so years, I am soooo not used to a full size kit.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'm wondering if I should just start shopping around for some used VH-11s. All research seems to indicate that this is entirely a hardware issue and that the hats aren't great even when "working" properly.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Katt posted:

Hey drummers and other professional swingers of blunt objects.

I know Japanese bands are all about the spectacle but is this real live playing or pre-recorded?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTEYUFgLveY

In your opinion anyway.

I know the business likes shortcuts when it comes to drums these days.

this video is so cringey

I guess I don't mind triggering as long as a live drummer is playing

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Looks fun to me, I say go for it.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I Might Be Adam posted:

Is there anyone here who went from acoustic kit to e-kit and liked it? Don’t get me wrong, I’ve played on several e-kits and most importantly a roland kit at a church that was very nice even though it wasn’t top of the line but drat, I couldn’t get over the feel of them compared to an acoustic kit. Even the roland mesh heads while being fun to do effortless fills in just didn’t feel good compared.

I haven't played an acoustic set in probably 10 years due to living situations. You get used to them. Speaking of which...

I tried with this Alesis Strike kit. I really tried. I originally bought it new two years ago because of the value - four cymbals, four huge toms, module sounded more realistic than anything Roland had out because it used real samples, all for the price of a mid-tier Roland set.

I just gave up and bought a ten year old TDW-20 module. The Alesis sounds may be more realistic in a recording, but there's a reason Roland does it the way they do it and it has to do with playability. Hi-hats have always sucked on the Strike, but they're a drat dream on the Roland. Just perfect responsiveness and dynamics. Same with the rest of the kit. They may sound more electronic, a little less advanced, but they also just have that classic punchy Roland sound that makes them feel better to actually *play*.

Not only that but the idiots designed the toms/snare so that the pressure pad that the piezo is on starts to crack. They evidently fixed this but I have an earlier one and I'm out of warranty. I can already see it start to happen on my snare.

Bottom line, just buy a drat Roland.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I Might Be Adam posted:

I guess maybe a roland kit with live cymbals would be somewhat acceptable bc the cymbals were always the worst part for me but at that point it doesn’t make any sense.

There are good e-cymbals but you gotta spend a lot. Is it the sound or the feel you don't like?

Vino posted:

I want to do pretty much this same exact thing so please report how it works out for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKFJM8vZphA

According to this the CY-13R works. So I would think the 12R/C would.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I've always liked Dave's playing in Nirvana and thought him beating the gently caress out of those drums on Nirvana records were a feature, not a bug. They sound great.

Same with Jimmy Chamberlain who also hit hard.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 13, 2020

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

timp posted:

Honestly imo you HAVE to hit the drums hard if you want to stand a chance of being a good drummer down the road. I've seen dozens of young aggressive drummers who were able to keep the intensity but learn to control it over time. But it's much more difficult for a timid player to adapt the ability to sit up straight and hit the goddamn drum like they mean it.

So yeah, I'll take a heavy hitter over a gentle drummer anytime, especially if they're still a beginner

100% agree with all of this. I hate wimpy drumming.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Welp I bought a Roland VAD503. Actual acoustic shells paired with the new TD27 module. It feels good to be playing a full sized four piece set again.

The digital snare is very good and the ride is a drat dream.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I was taught the Moeller technique, which seems to mean something different to everyone but for me it was basically starting a full stroke (accent) and hitting a ghost or unaccented note on the way back up. This movement basically informs how I play everything now because you can really control the dynamics and accent at will.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Once you work it up you can really develop speed. This is one of my favorite "drumming" videos even though the drums aren't even featured on it. But that's Jeff Porcaro on drums playing those hi hat sixteenths with just his right hand, fast as hell but also totally relaxed. This version is even faster than the studio version, I clock it around 101 BPM. Great technique (and cocaine probably) lets him just rip through this thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwXZI0X3HjM\

In conclusion, Jeff Porcaro Owned

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 19, 2020

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

$4k for the VAD503. Expensive but after the Alesis Strike Pro debacle I didn't want to settle. Ideally this will last me for a long time.

Bonzo posted:

Toto isn't for everyone but go listen to something like this and actually listen to what he's playing.

Toto is a band that I grew to appreciate a lot more when I realized how good the members were. Don't love all their songs but that was a seriously quality group of musicians. Also Steve Lukather seems like a cool dude.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Duke Chin posted:

i haven't touched my drums in like 5-6 weeks (maybe longer?). Working from home in the same space as the studio for 8-10 hours a day = I don't want to spend any more time down there on recreational things :(

huh, that's a bummer. I'm the opposite - they're so accessible and I love hopping on to play during my lunch break.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I would definitely recommend Roland - superior build quality and feel. Alesis is tempting because they're big sets for half the price, but I spent $2k on an Alesis Strike Pro and the pads failed on me one by one. They're just crappy. Rolands don't have the greatest samples out there, but they *feel* great, trigger perfectly and have great dynamics. I am of the opinion that feel, dynamics and lack of latency is more important than super convincing sounds when it comes to edrums.

It really depends on your budget, but the TD-17 ($1,800) has been super popular. If you can bump it up to $2500 look at the VAD 306, which comes with bigger shells and frankly looks like a lot more fun to play than the normal TD-17.

I got a VAD 503 and I've been super happy with it, but if I'm 100% honest with myself I probably would have been okay with the 306. I did a lot of research into these recently before I bought mine, and have always been interested in edrums so feel free to ask if you want to know anything else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI-nNoqklAU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Jazz Marimba posted:

okay, but why is this? MIDI keyboards have functionally the full range of dynamics and can sound pretty decent at every dynamic, but e-drums pretty universally sound like rear end and it just doesn’t make sense

edrums sound amazing when they're hooked up to a VST, and people have been hooking their edrums up to their computers to trigger VSTs for over a decade. When it comes to the modules Roland's kind of been the only game in town for professional-quality edrums for a while and are only now starting to get pushed.

Roland's main priority has always been triggering and responsiveness, but now that the Pearl Mimic Pro module is out (which literally uses Steven Slate Drums) it's tough to sell a TD-50 that sounds worse for more money. Will be interesting to see what the next flagship sounds like, because it sure seems like they can't just do the same old thing.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'm at a crossroads with my bass drum technique.

I generally have always played heel up, because I like being able to deliver that power. Recently I've been working on developing double strokes on the kick drum and I'm having some real difficulty getting them consistent. Hard to explain but some double strokes are easier than others. Part of it is I'm literally losing balance - I tend to bury the beater after the second stroke and kinda lean on it but this feels awkward on some beats. Ideally I could stay totally neutral on my throne but I just don't have that kind of balance.

So earlier I was practicing on a part that has a very troublesome (to me) bass beat and I tried it heel-down, and was basically able to get through it no problem. Didn't have the power that you can bring heel-up, though.

Anyway what say you, heel-up or heel-down bass drumming? When do you use which?

(This is that part that I was working on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIv0LzDpTCM&t=35s)

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 30, 2020

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I've been watching way too many acoustic set reviews on Youtube. My next house has to be drum friendly.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

I picked up a "Pearl Export American Fusion" set open-box (maybe ex-demo) for 25% off, which will do me. Thanks for the advice :)

hell yeah! make sure you take time to tune them correctly - lots of resources on Youtube for that but it makes all the difference on how they sound.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

Somewhat protected by distance selling laws, I think, but I just could not be hosed dealing with it. Got nicer cymbs anyway

nice, how do you like your new Meinl Custom Darks

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I don't think I'd recommend used Alesis.

You could also look for a used Roland, it'll sound better. A quick search found this and it's a nice little kit, I had one. https://maine.craigslist.org/msg/d/cumberland-center-roland-td-4k-upgrade/7209751718.html

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Der Shovel posted:

Wow, that's reasonable. The drum mats I've seen here locally cost 3+ times that. For now I just got my old balcony rug in. The kick pedal had these little spike legs that dig into the rug and keep the pedal stationary pretty well.

I still need to figure out something for my drum kit though, because the TD-1K is so lightweight it kinda keeps moving during normal play. Maybe that mat, or maybe I need to buy some sand bags or something.

maybe you could take a rope and hook it around the legs of the frame and your throne

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

speaking of drumless tracks, Andre at Free Drumless Tracks is just insanely prolific and has pumps out tons of tracks to drum to. Very gospel/funk leaning but super fun to play. having so many great tracks to jam to has definitely gotten me behind the kit more.

https://www.youtube.com/c/FreeDrumlessTracks

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 21, 2020

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

That's basically the lowest "decent" e-kit you could buy so I'm not surprised you're sick of it.

Are you thinking you want to just transition into an acoustic kit altogether? I would recommend this because acoustic kits are great but word of warning, they are very loud. If you don't have to worry about your neighbors hating you then I would definitely go this route, but worth mentioning.

Instead of spending close to $500 on one snare you could get a full kit for that kind of money. I'd look on Craigslist, people are always trying to unload full kits that include cymbals and hardware for cheap. As long as it's in good shape you can make almost any kit sound half-decent through tuning. And it's going to sound a hell of a lot better than that TD1. Just much louder.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

COUNTERPOINT: going to in-person lessons when you're first starting out is super important just so they can watch you play and make sure you aren't loving something up horribly, like with your posture or stick grip or whatever. It sounds like you're already going strong on an e-kit, so if you already have that history then great, but if you've never had IRL lessons before I'd say go in for at least a few. It sounds weird at first, but if you hold your drumsticks wrong for long enough you can do some pretty serious damage to yourself, and even if it's something more innocuous, having to un-learn and then re-learn something is a huge pain in the rear end compared to learning it 'right' the first time.

agreed. it's like golf. tough to self-diagnose what you're doing wrong if you're new. or even know if you're doing something wrong.

my drum teacher when I was younger stressed the moeller technique, and even though it maybe never totally clicked back then as to what the point was I'm now very glad he drilled it into my head

I just wish I had practiced more and took it more seriously, he was great and I could have learned even more. alas the folly of youth

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Evil Bob posted:

Picked up a Roland VAD 306 kit today on the cheap (thanks black friday) Looking forward to putting some work in on it.

I'm pretty fuckin hyped right now.

Nice dude. How is it? That's a great little package I think.

What kind of pedal is everyone using? I have a DW 3000 that I just cannot dial in to feel good. I think I want something that's lighter and a little more 1:1, thinking about picking up a Tama Dyna Sync direct drive.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Can't imagine the force it would take to break my footplate in half. You guys must be seriously :black101:

My DW just feels a little sluggish. I like working doubles in and it feels like I can't do them at will. I know this is probably at least 80% my problem and not the gear since there are plenty of people that play my pedal and can do it, but I still am tired of fighting it and want something lighter.

I tried the Dyna Sync at a Guitar Center and it felt very nice.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Interesting to hear Lang say don't get a motorcycle style throne, which is what I have. I've been jacking my throne up higher to make it less work to do quick bass strokes but I always suspected I might be better off with a round throne to lend more support to my thighs.

The way I do doubles are basically toe-heel, or like toe-foot. Basically like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTcUBSvY3bY&t=189s

But yesterday I was trying to dial in my current pedal some more before running out and buying a new one, and it struck me that my issues are mostly about leg fatigue. That leg lift gets rough. I can do doubles pretty easily at the start of a session, but pretty soon my leg gets tired and I just can't reliably lift it up to do that technique while keeping my balance doing other things on the kit.

I need to do core exercises I guess.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Looks like there's an update for the TD-17, so do that ASAP.

You're definitely going to have to dial in the kits at first, particularly the volume levels and sensitivity of each drum. My TD-27 module was pretty underwhelming when I first turned it on, but after updating it, setting the levels correctly and doing some light instrument customization, it's feeling really good.

Another tip is to go in and change the trigger curve for your snare from Linear to Exp1 or Exp2. feels much better to me anyway, makes ghost notes a lot easier. you can go through each option and see which one feels best to you though.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I bought the Tama Dyna Sync direct drive. Replacing my DW 3000.

I am not used to DDs and it's very light, which I expected. Able to rip off doubles super easily. I reeeally like the long footboard, which I hadn't even though about.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Nice! Quite an upgrade.

Drum-Tec has an kit pack upgrade that sounds pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ2njf8caeY

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I love it. It kinda feels like a cheater pedal but whatever, work smarter not harder. I think it's given me a bad habit where I do way too many double strokes when I don't really need them, but it's just so eeeeasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Lars is not a particularly great drummer but he's a very WEIRD drummer, which I appreciate. The drums are loving heavy and he has no sense of dynamics except ƒƒƒ, he plays fills at weird times, he's kind of just a weird dude. That's just core to the Metallica sound to me. But I agree he can't play the old poo poo anymore.

Relatedly, here's Dave Lombardo sitting in for Lars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8tbNptFPMU

The great thing about this is that Dave is right on the money, of course, while the rest of the band occasionally fucks up the timing probably because they're not used to someone actually nailing the drum part (check 2:43 for a laugh).