Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Any of you goons play a hybrid acoustic/electric kit? Any recommendations on stuff to look out for? Good deals? All I really want is a left foot pedal and one pad. I don't think I'm interested in triggers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Jazz Marimba posted:

on and off, yeah

roland spd-sx + roland kt-10 pedal

The sample pad is cool but I'm leaning towards something like a 2-zone "tom" pad. How's the kick pedal? Can you rest your foot on it without it triggering? Does it bounce back up quickly?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Great.

Now I'm shopping for a damned xylophone for my kit.

:bighow:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I've been thinking about a kick replacement but, as I play a single pedal, I just don't feel like I can justify it. I sat in for a group with a way "nicer" set than mine with a fancy DW kick and honestly, yes I am a basic person, but I like my decent Yamaha kick better. What kind of sick gently caress DOESN'T want to spend money on drum poo poo? A reaaaaal sicky.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Double pedal is sweet but gajate with attached timbale is even better

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Bah why is it cheaper to buy a whole loving e-kit than just a couple pieces and a brain!!! It's maddening.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

AndrewP posted:

Entry level edrums have gotten so much cheaper and better in the past, like, five years. You can buy a full mesh set for like $300. Great price point for drumming beginners.

It's cray. I see how cheap these kits are and seriously can't believe it.

AndrewP posted:

I’d still only recommend Roland and Yamaha for people who want them for the long haul but it’s nice that you can get in the door cheaply.

This is my problem. I am looking long haul but literally only want to supplement my acoustic kit.

Infuriating.

Thinking about maybe piecing what I need out on eBay or something.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Enos Cabell posted:

There are several sellers on ebay that buy full kits and sell all the individual pieces separately for way cheaper than you could get elsewhere.

Okay, now I'm going to look there a bit more seriously. Thanks for the tidbit.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
If you like weed, def keep

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Anyone mess around with the Yam DTX-PRO module? It might be a winner for me but I'm wondering if I can feed it my own samples.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Bonzo posted:

WOW! I want one and yes it looks like you can

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln5B0DJMims

edit: I think we may be talking about two different products?

Yes, but I also looked at that pad and it seems to be cool as hell. Just not quite what I was looking for lol.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Welp, I did it. Ended up getting a whole e-kit just to use three pieces. Gonna have to eBay off the other like 100 pieces. Went with the Yamaha DTX Pro module in some 5 piece kit+cymbals. Pumped that it ends up netting me a kick tower to use for my left foot instead of a weighted actuator, I can just use one of my spare kicks.

loving can't wait.

Anyone else score some drum poo poo this holiday?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

I Might Be Adam posted:

No drum stuff but I'm thinking a synth item might be coming this weekend from the wife for my birthday. We also just claimed our own rooms in the house for our offices so now my kit and other musical things are in the same room so hopefully I end up playing more.

A space to have your stuff all together is an awesome holiday miracle. I'm almost there :shepicide:

AndrewP posted:

I got my 11-month old a little baby “drum kit” that comes with sticks. Gotta start them early 😎

Kid's gonna wail. Got sick drum poo poo for Christmas before they can walk.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

I Might Be Adam posted:

Finally moved to a place big enough for my kit to be set up a year ago and it took until now for me to finally upgrade some gear and move my desk and computer into my music room. I'm hoping if nothing else, I'll decide to start playing when the urge hits instead of having to move a laptop into another room to start recording ideas.

I'm in the middle of doing something similar. My wife and I have been rethinking our space in our weird little outbuilding and it ended up netting me a large playing/recording space where I used to just barely be able to fit my kit. I am adjusting and having to figure out how to set this poo poo up in a way I really love.

We should post some dang drum caves ITT.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Still a mess but slowly my space is coming together:

It's also our wood/paint shop and storage area so carving out this big of a space was a real treat. Can't really tell from the picture but I am like 15' away from my kit. It's p huge. I could fit a nine piece orchestra in this thing. Working on getting it organized a little bit everyday! :stoked:

Little close up of the kit, the shells are early 60's Olympics. That Dream Bliss crash is the greatest crash cymbal I have ever heard and makes a kickass LOUD ride as well:

MORE DRUM CAVES!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

AndrewP posted:

Great kit. Those cymbals own. Do your rear end a favor and get a nice cushy throne

For serious. I have been using this metal ABOMINATION since I started playing and it seems like every time I decide "today is the day I'm gonna buy that throne" I end up getting something else that makes noise instead. I will say, I've sat in worse. The butt carve out is like made for my rear end so I can sit on that bad boy for a couple hours at a time comfortably but, yeah, I need a drat throne badly.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Love sparkle blue tom just hanging out trying not to look out of place.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Duke Chin posted:

13" ebay find - same production run just different color and hardware lol - it sounds rad as heck as I just don't like Tama's 12" toms

I didn't realize I was building an accidentally patriotic-looking kit tho lol :barf:

(Ed: the original 12" Tom that came with that kit is actually in the first picture, sitting in front of the vdrum's kick drum lol)

I love it man. Makes it look like you took your time putting a kit together you really like. Is that your playing out kit?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
God my e-kit is supposed to show up today and I am loving PUMPED for a hybrid kit. PUMPED

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Been playing my cyborg drum kit for a bit now and I God damned love it. Had a real hard time trying to integrate the bits I wanted but finally landed on a setup I really like.

I feel like I am drumming in the future.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Ended up breaking down and rebuilding my CYBORG DRUM KIT like 85 times because I ended up hating how it was set up every time. Kept getting knee pain and poo poo from trying to get my legs in wierd spots and poo poo. Idk. But I think NOW I have finally settled into what seems like it's going to be my :airquote:longterm:airquote: setup:

Have to say the dtx drums are p sweet. Like, I know it's not the 80's anymore and e-drums aren't absolute poo poo anymore but I really didn't expect to enjoy the playing experience so much. Great feeling on the mesh pad and cymbal and having the kick tower on my left foot really gives me a nice variety of sounds over there while still using a kick I am super familiar with. Good little computer unit that does a lot of stuff I personally will never use but is still cool. Let's me customize kits on the fly p fast and I can use my own samples and even tune/pitch shift them and poo poo. Loving this.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

sebzilla posted:

Nice! Seems like a long way to have to move your foot back (i.e. towards your body) to get from the acoustic hats to the electric kick but if you're having fun that's cool. Just looks like the middle pedal on the left could shunt forwards like 4 inches without having to move anything else and be more playable.

I do play heel up with my left so the kick pedal is decently comfortable there. You are right though, if I could that sucker would be slid up about 3" but because of the interaction between the kick pad and my hi hat stand I just can't quite.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

sebzilla posted:

Ah yep, now I see the hi-hat leg is in the way.

Time to get a 2-leg stand!

:aaaaa:

God drat it and I have money in the drum fund too.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

AndrewP posted:

I think my biggest ergonomic breakthrough was when I started sitting up real nice and high and had the drums meet me. I have so much more foot speed and control this way.

what actually got me thinking about it was watching a video of little seven-year old Yoyoka playing a Zeppelin cover and barely reaching the pedals, but she could put down those doubles effortlessly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91pz1E8pAOY

Height is what made it so I didn't hurt after a couple hours of playing. I like lording over my kit.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I've heard of the infamous split head from over tuning but never have I seen this phenomenon in meat space.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

AndrewP posted:

One trick I've seen a lot lately to take some of the extraneous ring out of your toms without using moon gels is dropping some cotton balls into your drums. Matt Garstka does it at least.

Gonna need some clear shells to really take it to the next level.

On cyborg drums again; the trick was putting my e-drum hi hat pedal next to my right foot. Which incidentally gives me an extra instrument to play over there which is pretty juicy. Having new noises all over the place is making my brain do that thing where I become cross-eyed and maybe enter THE SHADOW ZONE for a minute while playing.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
What's that crash/ride she's playing with the "k" (R?) on it? Sounds lovely af.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Great.

:retrogames:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I love watching paid reviews of Alesis kits. Just a guy shouting YEAH IT'S GREAT while making tin can noises as the rack rattles around drums bouncing wildly.

But, drat, @ $400 for a whole kit I get why people are buying them.