Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
After 2.5 years of no drums (moved across country, now in an apartment), I got an electronic kit again!

Picked up the TD07KV as I needed something pretty compact. It’s cool - I def miss the bell on the ride from my old TD6SX, and I feel like that one had a wider variety of sounds (though lots of garbage), but the sound editing features of the TD07 module are pretty amazing all things considered. Cranking up the room mic, blending in some Tom OH and adding verb to the snare made such a difference.

The HH pedal is poo poo though. Doesn’t seem to have any adjustment spring, it’s just a floppy loose thing that has no resistance, just bounces up and down. Might need to track down a better one because Lmao, I love that I can’t even lightly rest my foot without triggering closed.

Eventually gotta figure out how to arrange the rooms so I can run my VSTs with this, but for now it’s exercise I’ve been desperately missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Just discovered something weird and cool about my playing.

Was recording a song in 3/4 @ 115bpm, and I do a little fill for the last two bars of each riff that’s a snare/cymbal hit each beat, and a fast double kick.

I was certain I was doing 6 kicks per beat, but looking at the midi surprised the poo poo out of me. Every single beat was a septuplet, spaced evenly. That means I was alternating feet on the ones and somehow not loving it up!

Then I went down a rabbit hole of septuplet patterns in drums, and seems like they’re not used too often. Gonna learn some as I love the push of it at slower speeds.

Slothful Bong fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 25, 2023

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

JNCO BILOBA posted:

I’m also a drummer that had a pretty extreme arm break and had to come back from that. I would love to talk to anyone working up their craft after leaving and coming back (for any reason), working through things that used to work and doesn’t anymore, and/or how it feels through recovery. Mine was restlessness, intensity, curiosity, etc; also pain, doubt, isolation, confusion. I learned a whole new way to think about drumming after having a physical limitation placed on me. I tried to equate it to the idea of working with musical tools with intentional limitations. This makes you get creative and when you find others into that, you realize how truly limitless and creative we all are.

Speaking more on guitar side here, but in 2019 I severed a bunch of nerves in my right hand pointer finger. I couldn't hold a pick, so I spent the next six months re-learning how to play with adjusted technique. I'd finally gotten it close enough, then I developed a massive ganglion cyst on the right hand, in between the pointer and middle tendons.

That hosed me. I could no longer alternate pick at a mid speed (only very slow and very fast), and as a result approx 75% of the songs I'd written became unplayable. It was such a gut-punch after spending so much time on relearning how to play.
So I hunkered down, decided to focus on what I could do, and really tried to push my playing within my physical limitations. Ironically, soloing was the thing that seemed to work best, an area I'd barely touched in 20 years of playing. I started to really try to mentally plan my soloing bars in advance, practiced humming notes and playing along at-speed, and focused on the lightest touch possible.

I also picked drums back up during this period, after a couple-year break. That became my way of burning some of the frustration I had, as there were still hard physical limitations with guitar. That was my lifeline to sanity, and as a result of needing to relearn guitar I decided to try to actually figure out some better drumming techniques instead of the self-taught nonsense I'd done before. I was able to get way better at rolls, started to actually figure out how to move my body to transition between toms quickly, got infinitely better at not tensing up, and recorded some of my favorite drum parts I've done.

And now, in 2024, I've just started the next step of relearning; finally got surgery to remove the cyst, so I need to re-learn how to alternate pick at a mid speed. What's fascinating is my hand just doesn't know how to do it anymore; I try using muscle memory, but nothing happens. So I've gotta drill down and learn what muscles have atrophied, and figure out some practice for regaining it.

Not gonna lie, the journey has been pretty rough at times, but I've definitely expanded as a player in ways I don't think I would've had the injuries not happened.