Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Bonzo posted:

The experienced drummers (like me) will tell you that the cheap drum kits don't feel right and how bad rubber pads are which is true. Much like if I said I just want a cheap rear end Peavy Strat (lol I have one!) so I can gently caress around on guitar, you'd probably tell me how much I may hate the way it plays (action is too high, pickups are poo poo, strings buzz).

But since you have a budget and just want to gently caress around I don't see the harm. Other than the pads the cheap kits usually sound lovely but since you're going to MIDI out that helps you a bit. Don't expect high performance out of the pads though if you are worried about ghost notes or getting different sounds from different postilions on the head.

Even as an inexperienced drummer, I can tell you that my Alesis Nitro doesn't feel quite right and never really has, but it's close enough to be worth loving around with especially if you have any interest in drumming

It has definitely been worth it for me just to get over the hump of "well I don't know how much I'll be into this so I can't justify sinking several grand into a nice kit, but for $300 sure I'll give it a shot" and now I'm definitely looking to upgrade at some point or buy a real acoustic kit and take lessons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
needs more CRTs imo

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i've had an alesis kit for several years and while it's fine to use for something like rock band, standalone it leaves a lot to be desired and i'd highly suggest for something better if at all possible

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Before:

After:

I played the hell out of that lovely $300 Nitro for 5 years and it only started having some problems towards the end, and after playing this thing for 5 minutes I couldn't be happier

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of covers, do we have a thread to post covers in? I have finally gotten around to setting up a way to record my progress and I'm just now getting comfy enough to post them publicly. This is mostly just for me cause I'm under no delusion that anyone really wants to watch some amateur who's barely been playing for 3 months, I like the idea of recording covers and then coming back in a few months to do a re-record and see how different they look

Anyway, here's a BMTH cover I did the other day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccj08U7tJ8U

Definitely not perfect, I slightly gently caress up a few of the hi-hat hits at the very beginning, there's a few mistimed snare hits I can hear, and at least one of the fills is a teensy bit too fast to my ear, but for one of my first songs I've learned I feel pretty good about my progress!

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
to be fair I have at least 1000 hours of playing drums in rock band, but this has been my first try at actually learning to play independently. so I have a bit of a muscle memory advantage over someone totally brand new who's never picked up a stick

learning how to commit it to memory has been tricky but it's been very fulfilling thus far! and working my way through stick control :)

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

New New Fresh posted:

Hell yeah Rock Band buddies

I broke three pedals and one pad in the few years I played that game

I went through 3 pedals and at least 6 of the addon cymbals, those things fell apart super easily

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I get hand cramps in my right hand in the muscle between my thumb and index finger (the one that runs down the forearm) and I can't tell if it's bad technique (probably), because of me being a computer-toucher for a living for the last 10 years and a lifelong PC & console gamer and it's carpal tunnel (definitely doesn't help), or a combination of both (almost certainly)

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
did another cover, this time some dance gavin dance

anyone have tips for increasing the volume recording through a daisy-chained combination of lineout from drums + audio import from rockband shoved through an iRig plugged into a phone? do i need a preamp or some poo poo somewhere in the chain?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2KXKdqLLbM

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Enos Cabell posted:

This is what I use when I go to shows (when that was still a thing) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RM6Q9XW Had the same pair for like 10 years now and they've held up great.

can vouch for the efficacy of these as well, although i will say that for some reason these make my ears itch like crazy and your standard foam ear plugs do not do that to me

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Enos Cabell posted:

Instead of flat toms you could just go the opposite way with it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwNM-PSBeCY

that looks extremely uncomfortable wtf

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I have the Alesis Strike Pro SE and I love it. Avoid the standard version of it as it has a host of problems that were all fixed with the SE.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

TotalLossBrain posted:

Hi Thread. I recently started learning to play drums. I've been playing guitar and related string instruments (bass, ukulele, banjo) off an on for 27 years. I am terrible at that, too.
I bought a Simmons SD1250 kit a few weeks ago and have been practicing 30-90 minutes a day. I'm using the Stick Control book and another similar book for rock drumming. I also signed up for a month-to-month subscription to Drumeo and that's been very helpful as well.
Most of my practice has been focused on snare drum drills, timing and playing to metronome, and limb independence.
Anyways, I'm loving it.

Edit: I've added a small carpet for the whole area since taking these pictures.

welcome to the e-kit family, sounds like you're doing the right poo poo

make sure you're not just doing exercises and are actually playing along to music too, and bonus points for playing music you'd actually listen to!

e: i've recorded some drum covers but the quality is absolute dogshit from using a combination of an iRig, a phone, and a PS4. i'd like to get something better for recording these, is there a go-to for a nice camera in the ~$1000 range anyone could recommend?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Bonzo posted:

I found a good channel for levelling uphttps://www.youtube.com/@love_to_learn_drums

emma is awesome! highly recommend

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I'll take better pics when I get the room decluttered but for now: drums!!

Actual question: I have the Alesis Strike Pro SE. I've never had to take anything apart in any meaningful way, but I need to replace my kick drum head:

I patched over it for now and it's holding, but I assume I should replace this. Is there anything hugely different between this and replacing a standard acoustic kick drum head? I can find lots of video resources online for that but nothing for these, so I'm guessing they're effectively the same?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
My strike pro SE is still mostly going strong 3 years later, but there's definitely some wear & tear - i need to replace one crash whose choke has stopped working entirely and I have to occasionally restart the drum brain after it stops recognizing my kick

65 drums did a review on the strata prime as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ59fuMh4qY&t=572s

He echoed my immediate concerns: it's more expensive than the strike pro SE was when it was released, has 1 fewer cymbal, and is back to using pads instead of half-shells

kumba fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI3InN1VUbU

notably, Estepario mapped one of the tom rims to a china cymbal presumably because of the lack of that 4th cymbal

but he's been playing the kit for ~30 hours a week for the last 4 months and he appears to be very happy with it

called my local guitar center and they're supposed to have one setup in the next week or two, gonna go check it out