Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«26 »
Mandoira
Jul 27, 2003

There are four kinds of Homicide: felonious, excusable, justifiable, and praiseworthy.

Season 2 Premier League is starting July 15th! Challenger League Qualifiers have already started! It's being produced by NASL instead of MLG so it will probably be better! We're up to 50% Korean.

The National Anthem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwDau3MwWSo

WCS: America is the NA (and token SEA/South America) branch of the World Championship Series by Blizzard. Produced by MLG NASL it features a Premier and Challenger group.

Liquipedia: http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraf...America/Premier
Twitch stream: http://www.twitch.tv/wcs_america
Twitch vods: http://www.twitch.tv/wcs_america/vi...past_broadcasts
Blizzard's WCS site: http://wcs.battle.net/sc2/en
Your groups: Updated 6/26
Premier Groups:

Challenger League Bracket
TBD

Who's Playing?
We're in season 2 now. WCS America follows the GSL dual tournament style. There's a top tier (Premier) and lower tier (Challenger). This season has no invites and everyone is there based on merit due to their performance in last season's Premier League or from qualifying through last season's Challenger league. Despite it being called WCS America there is no region locking so most (50%)of the players are Korean.

Top Koreans
Violet
Ryung
Polt
Taeja
HerO
Nestea

The Other Koreans
Revival

Alive
Apocalypse
TheSTC
Alicia
Crank
Oz
Sage
Hwangsin
Nestea

Good Foreigners
Snute
Moonglade
Scarlett
Suppy
Major

The Chinese
XY
Macsed
Jim

Mediocre Foreigners
Vibe
theognis
Demuslim
Puck
Minigun

The Chronic Disappointment
Huk

Huh? What....? Who?
Neeb

GSL style format with best of 3s. Produced by NASL and Blizzard (IPL guys). Starting date July 15th!

Mandoira fucked around with this message at Jul 17, 2013 around 01:29

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP

Nestea's muta switch was just disgusting

edit: Nice op, thanks for making a thread so we can all complain about zerg and Koreans

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

"I'm not laying underneath a grown man with my legs spread on worldwide TV. Some guys subscribe to that theory, but I'm a Republican, and we don't do that."

I liked Nestea showing no respect and getting 120 or whatever drones then popping out 50 mutas at once

Mandoira
Jul 27, 2003

There are four kinds of Homicide: felonious, excusable, justifiable, and praiseworthy.

Streebs posted:

edit: Nice op, thanks for making a thread so we can all complain about zerg and Koreans

What worries me isn't that the Koreans will dominate, it's the quality of games were going to get when it's not the two bad players in each group, or the two good players in each group playing each other. Take tonight's group. Minigun vs. Fenix is fine, they have similar skill levels and even if it's not Code S level can probably produce some good games. Likewise Nestea vs. Apocalypse is a cool match up. The issue is when there's a large skill gap between Nestea and Minigun, or Fenix and Apocalypse. There's a gap in Code S too, but Flash/Life playing against Shine is at least still competitive. Violet/Oz vs. State won't be. It will only be an issue in the first season unless they keep seeding people back in/rig the system somehow to stop the Korean flood. I couldn't care less if it's Foreigner vs. Korean, Korean vs. Korean, or Foreigner vs. Foreigner. I just want good games from people at similar skill levels, and I may not be giving some players their proper respect. There's definitely an "Any Given Sunday" aspect to it all too

Groups B/C should be really cool though.

e: MLG stream is really dark.

Mandoira fucked around with this message at May 1, 2013 around 01:33

Shade2142
Oct 10, 2012

Rollin'

Streebs posted:

Nestea's muta switch was just disgusting

Can you link a video pretty please?

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP

Shade2142 posted:

Can you link a video pretty please?

The stream is still live so there are no vods yet but if you want to watch (this is in the OP): http://www.twitch.tv/wcs_america

Medpak
Dec 26, 2011

This is also a good WCS site to track when the next matches are coming up.

http://wcswatch.com/

Then 150 drones to 50 muta switch was a bit nuts.

schmitty9800
Feb 9, 2003

Minigun played so well in the first map, very well in the second...but threw it away with a weird attack

Mandoira
Jul 27, 2003

Well if Alicia finishes off Illusion that will put Koreans 7-0 against Foreigners. Sounds about right.

I think Illusion will get out of this group though.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Go Illusion! Thorzain build him to death!

Mandoira
Jul 27, 2003

That was a super cool hellbat build

Oh God 11/11. Think this is the first one I've seen in a HOTS pro game but I've missed a lot.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

RIP Illusion. That surround murdered you.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

I'm so mad at Maker right now. Why did he do the things he did. Why did he throw away that game for no reason. Why does he unsiege all his tanks and engage with them unsieged against locusts. Why is he in this tournament? Why is MLG killing NA?

Why?

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

americans bad at starcraft

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

Should I tell her she's gorgeous, or would she find that creepy? Maybe I could tell her I admire her poise -- but then she might think I don't have any personality!

Maker sort of gift-wrapped that game.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Will there be anyone from the Americas in the Ro16? If not that would be pretty sad.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Insurrectionist posted:

Will there be anyone from the Americas in the Ro16? If not that would be pretty sad.
There's still a chance. Looking at the groups that still need to be played, I think Major, Scarlett and Suppy all have an okay chance of getting out of their groups but none of them have it easy and all will have to play koreans. So maybe not.

Mandoira
Jul 27, 2003

A Korean... lost a series to a foreigner tonight?

Though I don't like Killer's chances against Major or Alive a second time.

e: What the gently caress does Alive not know how to deal with roaches

Mandoira fucked around with this message at May 3, 2013 around 03:12

Pic~
Apr 18, 2003
Cult Member

Ha, still no players from the Americas in wcs america ro16

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Guess you'll just have to make do with an Aussie

Sex Bumbo
Aug 14, 2004

That's not the same thing at all .

Medpak
Dec 26, 2011

Pic~ posted:

Ha, still no players from the Americas in wcs america ro16

Why is anyone surprised? I think everyone knew this was going to happen when the regions are really just leagues because they aren't region locked.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I blame Blizzard instead of accepting that Americans are bad at the game.

beejay fucked around with this message at May 3, 2013 around 12:51

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Pretty much. Americans were doomed because of the relatively light Kor -> NA lag, which ensured every Korean wanting to try foreign WCS went to NA. After all, WCS NA is probably as hard or harder than EU right now just due to all the Koreans, so the main benefit is not having to lag like hell. Plus, as we've seen, the lag and difficult play-time (during the night) fucks up Koreans that aren't at the top level pretty badly - Mvp barely scraped through as second, ForGG got luckily paired against Bunny twice to get through in second, and Shuttle didn't stand a chance against Naniwa.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Insurrectionist posted:

Pretty much. Americans were doomed because of the relatively light Kor -> NA lag, which ensured every Korean wanting to try foreign WCS went to NA.
Also don't forget Blizzard invited a bunch of Koreans to get the ball rolling. Just to be clear that it wasn't simply blizzard leaving all the events open to anyone and all the koreans deciding to sign up. They made a point of inviting 5 koreans to WCS NA premier, and 8 more qualified on their own.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

And then inviting random country WCS people for the sake of regional diversity over a stronger foreigner player roster. Makes sense.

Medpak
Dec 26, 2011

lol that guy from Mexico didnt win any games last night did he?

Sex Bumbo
Aug 14, 2004

Current weather report out of 4 groups played is:
100% Korean advancement rate
75% of the players advancing are Korean
0% of the players advancing are from Americas.

What's even the point of this thing.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I think the point is people play Starcraft and other people watch it. Mission accomplished.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

WCS America is a bit of a misnomer -- I think we ought to fix the thread title to reflect that.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Jim takes out Sasquatch, Pig takes out Incontrol, but Puck takes out Sage so there will at least be some north americans around still

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

You know the worst part of this is the potential snowball effect -- less visibility for American pros in higher tournament brackets makes sponsors harder to get for the Americans makes less players able to compete at the professional level overall.

Of course, makes the few who do make it get even more attention.

Medpak
Dec 26, 2011

Ok someone call the US government and tell them to setup a Kespa of the States. I'm sure some government dollars would fix all of this.

disheveled
Jun 6, 2001

zelah posted:

Jim takes out Sasquatch, Pig takes out Incontrol, but Puck takes out Sage so there will at least be some north americans around still

Challenger will have plenty of Americans. It's just premier that is hosed.

Kind of hilarious that Sasquatch hit Jim in the first round of that qualifier. Bad luck.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

Medpak posted:

Ok someone call the US government and tell them to setup a Kespa of the States. I'm sure some government dollars would fix all of this.

The next presidential candidate who vocally supports esports will get my vote.

Mandoira
Jul 27, 2003

Mr. President we must not allow.... a Starcraft Gap!

BRB MAKIN BACON
Mar 22, 2007

I am Tuxedo Mask.
Russell Wilson, look into your heart and find the warrior within.
It is your destiny.

~:Seattle Seahawks:~

The non Axslav announcer sounds like the biggest tool.

Lbeuol
Aug 19, 2006

Washing my hands since 2002

BRB MAKIN BACON posted:

The non Axslav announcer sounds like the biggest tool.

Actually...

BRB MAKIN BACON
Mar 22, 2007

I am Tuxedo Mask.
It is your destiny.

Lbeuol posted:

Actually...

?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRB MAKIN BACON
Mar 22, 2007

I am Tuxedo Mask.
It is your destiny.

Haha game 2 Taeja. Gets almost completely destroyed, by a roach bling all-in, claws his way back into the game over the next 6 minutes. Takes the win and the series.

«26 »