Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Raphisonfire posted:

I have an interview tomorrow as a tutor for a primary school class. I am told that I will be tested on my mathematics ability and my writing.

What would the test be composed of? Would it be like an ability test taken for graduate level jobs or something simpler?

How would we know how what the test is composed of? If youre worried find out what books the school uses and make sure you can do the math/writing portions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

I have three interviews this coming week, for wildly disparate positions. One of them I'm - on paper, at least - overqualified for, but really want: I'm just starting my career (after grad school) and am trying to get into a more tech oriented field. This position would be a great place to do that.

How do I make clear that I'm really into the position and am not going to split?

I'm amped to learn the systems used and get to work, plus it seems like a great company. I know I have a ton to learn and am 100% cool being entry-level and putting in the time.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Crossposting from the resume thread:

McCloud posted:

So quick question. I've been called in for an interview for what is p. much a tech support job. They want me to do a presentation and one of the things I should include is "What is my approach to identify and deal with key challenges".

And I'm at a bit of a loss at what they're gunning for with that question. Any insight?

Oh also, they've said they're paying for travel and accommodation. Is it rude if I take a cab from the airport to there and bill them for thato r should I just take local transportation?

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

McCloud posted:

Oh also, they've said they're paying for travel and accommodation. Is it rude if I take a cab from the airport to there and bill them for thato r should I just take local transportation?

I don't have comments on the other question, but you can absolutely take a cab. Ask them in advance how reimbursements work, and bring along an envelope to keep all of your food / transportation receipts in one place.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I've been invited to a competency based interview. Got this link:
https://careers.un.org/lbw/home.aspx?viewtype=AYI
Explaining what I should prepare for. I've recently had a fairly similar interview, where I've bumbled my way through a bunch of (what turned out to be) fairly common "experience + positive lesson" and "unorthodox question + show me you can think on your feet" stuff, and this time around I'm trying to be a bit more prepared. Reading through the thread as we speak. It's a translation / research position, and my prior experience was mostly in freelance translation work and academic writing.

What kind of things should I emphasize - or, more importantly, what kind of common statements would probably make total sense to me as a freelancer but would act a huge "don't hire this guy" flag for the interviewer?

I have a lot of "competence" or "problem solving" stories I managed to come up with, but not a shitload of "people skills" or "social interaction" stories, which might be a problem (doing freelance work specifically because it doesn't require working with a team / direct supervisor). Do I embellish some things? Try to bring in stories from other lines of work? (I've spent a large part of my student years as a reception clerk, mostly in the night shift, and I can kinda come up with "problem with a co-worker - action - result" stories there)

Edit - forgot to ask a very specific question. I tend to drink a lot of water, particularly when I talk. The last time I had an interview, the interviewer caught onto that and kept coming back to the whole "are you nervous, is there a problem of some sort?" angle. Is there a non-aggressive / non-boorish way to go "just so you know, I'm going to drink an entire bottle while we talk, doesn't mean much of anything" at the outset of the interview?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 25, 2016

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

I have been looking pretty intensively for at least the last two months. I have had a couple interviews but no offers. I thought the last interview went really well but I didn't get the job. I have read the interviewing thread and found some other tips as well. Are there any interviewing services I should consider? Most of my interviews have been on the phone.

I have also contacted my alumni association because they offer career services. I also have access to a career counselor through a social service program but she doesn't really have much experience with my kind of career search - she mostly helps low income or people with disabilities find service or manufacturing jobs.

If there are any other services or resources I should be utilizing I am open to suggestions.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Study for the job.

Use whatever keywords are in the job description as an indicator of what to study. If you are already a pro at whatever that is, read journal papers on google scholar/google. If you are not well versed on the subject, hit up google and amazon for the best reviewed book on the subject, then buy or torrent it. Often older editions can be had for less than $20. Read the textbook, youll find that bring you up to state of the art. Lastly, see what MIT opencourseware, youtube, Lynda.com, or whatever have to offer.

This has netted me two exceptionally good job offers and regular compliments on my technical ability.

EDIT: I should mention that once I got an actual interview at one place for a job I liked, when I had applied to 30+, I burned the bridges to be an expert at what they needed. I knew who all the exes were and what was going on at that location.

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eternal Hobo
Nov 7, 2008
I've got an upcoming interview for a supervisor position in a department that I already work in. Usually at the end when it is my turn for questions if nothing really specific comes to mind I fall back onto questions about future projects coming up or questions about their work flows and processes. Basically just things to get a better idea about the place and how it is run. Since I already work there I know the answers to these questions so what sort of questions would be good to have as a fall back.

Also they love the behavioral questions so any tips that aren't mentioned in the OP?

• Locked thread