Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
I can only fathom that you are applying to some kinda awful places, that you are applying to kinda special awful places that have relationships to those students or you are saying things awfully weird.

What was the context in which a place you quit from offered you your job back? How long has it been and did you ever report it to the EEOC? I ask because if the only place that knows something happened is your company, then your story needs to match up to whatever they say happened.

Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BothSides
Jul 14, 2010

FAN OF NICKELBACK posted:

I can only fathom that you are applying to some kinda awful places, that you are applying to kinda special awful places that have relationships to those students or you are saying things awfully weird.

What was the context in which a place you quit from offered you your job back? How long has it been and did you ever report it to the EEOC? I ask because if the only place that knows something happened is your company, then your story needs to match up to whatever they say happened.

Yeah.

I don't think I'm wording it strangely. I just say I was forced to give my two weeks notice due to severe harassment and through everything that happened I continued to work until my last day, and was even offered my job back, and although I really enjoyed my job and working there I was not willing to put myself into that situation again. I guess I just ran into some people that just don't get it. I really truly do not understand why leaving a job due to harassment isn't acceptable. Even my boss at that job was said, "I don't blame you." We were put into horrible situations. I haven't worked much the past year to due different situations, and it just really feels like this is another hurdle. So am I saying something terribly wrong? Are these just horrible apathetic interviewers? And if so, what do I say/change?

Also, I'm in Canada so no EEOC here. But I did attempt to report them, however, the labour board would do nothing about it since they did have a system and training in place for workplace violence and harassment. I called them immediately after I handed in my notice and they basically said "if they are providing the training and have a "process" in place, that is all they are obligated to do." Apparently not following the process doesn't matter. :shrug:

edit: They offered me my job back a week after I handed in my notice.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

BothSides posted:

I don't think I'm wording it strangely. I just say I was forced to give my two weeks notice due to severe harassment and through everything that happened I continued to work until my last day, and was even offered my job back, and although I really enjoyed my job and working there I was not willing to put myself into that situation again. I guess I just ran into some people that just don't get it. I really truly do not understand why leaving a job due to harassment isn't acceptable. Even my boss at that job was said, "I don't blame you." We were put into horrible situations. I haven't worked much the past year to due different situations, and it just really feels like this is another hurdle. So am I saying something terribly wrong? Are these just horrible apathetic interviewers? And if so, what do I say/change?

Also, I'm in Canada so no EEOC here. But I did attempt to report them, however, the labour board would do nothing about it since they did have a system and training in place for workplace violence and harassment. I called them immediately after I handed in my notice and they basically said "if they are providing the training and have a "process" in place, that is all they are obligated to do." Apparently not following the process doesn't matter. :shrug:

edit: They offered me my job back a week after I handed in my notice.

OK so a few things:

If you are saying you were "forced" stop it right now. You weren't forced; you may have made the right decision in a situation that others may have just ignored and sadly limped through, but you weren't forced. You were decisive and discerning in the environment in which you chose to work, but you were not forced. Capice?

Did the person go through the thing that was training and processing? Did it fail to provide non-harassing results after they did it? If the answers are "yes" and then "no" respectively, then you are telling your new employers, "If you hire anyone that does something scary or bad, no matter what, I'm quitting immediately." Just like (the imaginary world that imaginary America exists in) once someone goes to jail they have "done the time and paid for their crime" and have a clean slate unless they crazy it up again. You have to treat them as such. I'm not saying "Hey, good news! You get to treat them like it never happened and hug them!" I'm just saying "you have to treat them as such."

If their process failed, that's when you go to the Maple EEOC and start raising Hell. Before that, you still made a conscious decision to leave a business on your own volition because you did not feel comfortable in the environment. You took ownership of your own career and decided that you were not able to objectively review better opportunities while being side-tracked. Fortunately, you were in a position to begin that process, and that's why you're here now, looking to see which companies have standards and cultures which will best challenge and grow your experiences while providing a superior culture that you want to add your own abilities to.

Basically, if you act like you were forced to do something you decided to do then you're hurting yourself. Also, if (and I mean if, so don't take it personally) when you say they "did nothing" it means "they talked to them and put them through training but they didn't harass me after that" then you need to really find a way to own "There was no way that they could reconcile that situation without firing someone" with "No really, if mistakes happen in your company I'm not going to immediately up and leave and blame and badmouth everything you stand for because of someone who you have very little control over and probably can't fire because you have things in place that state that if someone fucks up no matter how bad then you wag your finger really hard and then if they gently caress up again you either put it to a written warning or fire them depending on the paperwork you have agreed to with your human resource department *gasp*."

BothSides
Jul 14, 2010

OK so a few things:

If you are saying you were "forced" stop it right now. You weren't forced; you may have made the right decision in a situation that others may have just ignored and sadly limped through, but you weren't forced. You were decisive and discerning in the environment in which you chose to work, but you were not forced. Capice?

Did the person go through the thing that was training and processing? Did it fail to provide non-harassing results after they did it? If the answers are "yes" and then "no" respectively, then you are telling your new employers, "If you hire anyone that does something scary or bad, no matter what, I'm quitting immediately." Just like (the imaginary world that imaginary America exists in) once someone goes to jail they have "done the time and paid for their crime" and have a clean slate unless they crazy it up again. You have to treat them as such. I'm not saying "Hey, good news! You get to treat them like it never happened and hug them!" I'm just saying "you have to treat them as such."

If their process failed, that's when you go to the Maple EEOC and start raising Hell. Before that, you still made a conscious decision to leave a business on your own volition because you did not feel comfortable in the environment. You took ownership of your own career and decided that you were not able to objectively review better opportunities while being side-tracked. Fortunately, you were in a position to begin that process, and that's why you're here now, looking to see which companies have standards and cultures which will best challenge and grow your experiences while providing a superior culture that you want to add your own abilities to.

Basically, if you act like you were forced to do something you decided to do then you're hurting yourself. Also, if (and I mean if, so don't take it personally) when you say they "did nothing" it means "they talked to them and put them through training but they didn't harass me after that" then you need to really find a way to own "There was no way that they could reconcile that situation without firing someone" with "No really, if mistakes happen in your company I'm not going to immediately up and leave and blame and badmouth everything you stand for because of someone who you have very little control over and probably can't fire because you have things in place that state that if someone fucks up no matter how bad then you wag your finger really hard and then if they gently caress up again you either put it to a written warning or fire them depending on the paperwork you have agreed to with your human resource department *gasp*."

I get what you're saying about the word forced, thank you, I won't use it in interviews anymore. Although, really, I was forced. I'm in no position to have quit my job, and got some serious poo poo for doing so. I lost my apartment, and moved onto a couch, for a start.

When I say "they did nothing" I sincerely mean just that. They actually did nothing. I'd been harassed by co-workers before (sales environment will do that) and they had dealt with it, albeit not well, but promptly. He got a slap on the wrist and was told to knock it off, and he did, and from that point forward we worked fine together and there was significantly less abuse from him. I absolutely do, "treat them as such," and hold no grudge. But when the people in question were the students, the paying customers, they did not put out the fire, not at all. They did not go through any process, and there were no results. It got so bad our immediate boss had to sit out at reception with us because we were terrified of the students.

I did attempt to report them (so did my co-receptionist), but like I said, when I called the labour board they told me that if they provide training and if they do have a process in place that's that. There would only be something to report if they didn't provide training, or didn't have a process in place. Whether they follow it or not doesn't matter. This is what I was told, and so was my co-receptionist. However they did help me by telling me what I had done was constructive dismissal and since I had not quit voluntarily I could apply for unemployment insurance, which I do did (and ended up being a couple hours short for hours worked in the past year).

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
That's interesting, constructive dismissal usually has a lawyer and damages involved; however I'm not a lawyer and constructive dismissals are a treacherous water for me to even begin to wade in. Especially since I'm even less familiar with Canada's laws on it. Either way, I'm sorry you had to deal with it.

Can you speak with your prior manager and find out precisely what he/the company/HR/whoever answers those calls would say if asked about you by a potential employer?

If the method of your termination will be released in a check, then perhaps you can come up with an angle together which avoids badmouthing/negativity and sounds more diplomatic and neutral: "The business was unable to resolve issues of harassment which impeded my ability to effectively do my job. The relationship ended with a constructive dismissal, however I maintain a very good relationship with my previous employer and you can speak with him at XXX-XXX-XXXX if you would like a reference."

If it's not going to be released keep it simple: http://www.ehow.com/how_8596953_job-job-due-boss-harassment.html

Fair or not, badmouthing an employer or the environment is always a red flag. They don't know the truth and know they can never find it out in full, they only know that you're saying things about people that aren't there to defend themselves.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I'm applying for a slight change in career. I have a decades experience in pubs/bars and I'm trying to move to counter service style places. Mostly for the hours.

I've had one interview so far this morning (with a recruiter not the company I want to work for) which resulted in me being told "the job we had ticks some of your boxes but doesn't tick them all. Go away and think about what we've told you and if you are sure you'd accept an offer if its made we'll arrange an interview with their hiring manager and area manager". So I think I aced it but I am still deciding if its 100% right for me. I plan on answering tonight.

I'm a touch concerned with a couple of answers I gave though and how I can strengthen them. My difficult talk scenario leads to "says she'll do better but no real sign of it, she's working her notice and becoming a manager elsewhere in the company". I did add when asked that I have tried to talk to her new place about her attitude but her new manager is a good friend of hers. Lose the story or is it still ok?

Secondly, why are you leaving the current job is (honestly) I love the place, I love the people, but I've fallen out of love with the late nights. I don't want to be kicking customers out at half twelve and closing down til 1am. This is why I'm shifting to what I see as the same skill set but better hours.
It's also because I want to step forward in my career but my current place is the crown jewel of the company so promotion means a move to a smaller site and ultimately less money as a result. I was asked why I'd be willing to change company for equal money and a promotion and basically looped back to my other answer of hours.

For the record its the hours and pay I have to think about as its a slight raise and better hours than a pub but not my ideal hours. I'm leaning towards taking the interview. But is there a good way to tighten the two "issues" I have?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I have an interview this week and I was thinking of the 'Why are you leaving your current company' question. I know you should never speak negatively about the current employer, and I'm avoiding that as best I can. How does sound?

"Due to sequestration, and combined with the overall demise of [The Industry], our company has been faced with multiple furloughs, two years of pay freezes, and layoffs. I'm looking to join an organization with a solid outlook and more stability and I feel [Prospect Employer] would offer that."

Is that okay to say? I'm worried it might sound like, "Things got lovely, so I left!" That is what happened, but I don't want to seem like I jump ship the moment things go south.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 3, 2013

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I feel like "There wasn't enough opportunity/room for career development," or some variation thereof should be the go-to response to that question. It's the mildest criticism that doesn't really say anything negative about your former employer and paints you as someone who values their career path.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
WampaLord's suggestion is quite good, although I feel like in DC at least you can totally mention sequestration and people will be like "oh, got it, totally understand."

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Xandu posted:

WampaLord's suggestion is quite good, although I feel like in DC at least you can totally mention sequestration and people will be like "oh, got it, totally understand."

I agree the default 'didn't have opportunity for advancement' is a good fallback, but I've read the Glassdoor reviews on this place and that's one of the main complaints. That doesn't bother me. I'm not trying to climb the ladder or anything. I've mentioned I saw their Glassdoor reviews too so they're aware of my knowledge.

StarSiren
Feb 15, 2005

Wade in the water, Children, Wade in the water
I seem to have this problem of not being able to get past HR interviews and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I clearly sell myself ok on paper, as I get a decent amount of call backs, but I can never seem to get past the HR screening. I've gone over all the usual questions, practiced with a friend, tried to smile and walk confidently, etc etc... But I'm clearly failing to sell myself. Any additionally pointers?

I haven't had steady employment, in a professional career field, for almost a year now and it's draining me emotionally. I've been volunteering and freelancing to fill the gaps and keep up on my skills, but I can't seem to get beyond this point. Thoughts?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

StarSiren posted:

I seem to have this problem of not being able to get past HR interviews and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I clearly sell myself ok on paper, as I get a decent amount of call backs, but I can never seem to get past the HR screening. I've gone over all the usual questions, practiced with a friend, tried to smile and walk confidently, etc etc... But I'm clearly failing to sell myself. Any additionally pointers?

I haven't had steady employment, in a professional career field, for almost a year now and it's draining me emotionally. I've been volunteering and freelancing to fill the gaps and keep up on my skills, but I can't seem to get beyond this point. Thoughts?

Well you didn't say what was wrong, so can you walk us through what a typical interview is like in your experience?

StarSiren
Feb 15, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

Well you didn't say what was wrong, so can you walk us through what a typical interview is like in your experience?

I'm not sure what's wrong, really.

Most of the HR interviews I've done (both in person and on the phone), have all had variations of "tell us about yourself/experience/current freelance work", "why do you want to work here", "weakness/strength", "how would you handle a manager/client/boss doing x thing" and maybe a few questions geared toward my field of interest (communications). I've rehearsed answers to these questions and even practiced with a friend a few times. I feel like I know the answers inside and out and I usually feel pretty OK about interviews when I'm done with them. I just never get past that first interview.

I'm not sure if I just don't have enough experience, charisma or what. I've been volunteering all year to help build my portfolio. I've been utilizing LinkedIn. I've been networking. I've looked for resume and interviewing advice. I just don't know what is wrong with me that I can't get myself to stand out at all from the competition.

I'm curious if anyone has just some extra tips or tricks or anything that can either get me thinking or something I can actually try out. Maybe it's just terrible luck due to so many people being in the communications field.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
There's always a chance you just have a poo poo market, but it would help if you have details. What are the questions that you have the best answers to (what are those answers) and same for worst.

StarSiren
Feb 15, 2005

There's always a chance you just have a poo poo market, but it would help if you have details. What are the questions that you have the best answers to (what are those answers) and same for worst.

Here are a couple of questions (the ones I have found that get asked the most) and how I approach them. Obviously, depending on the job, they get rearranged and tweaked each time to add flair related to whatever the job I'm interviewing for might be.

quote:

Tell me about yourself: I like telling stories. In college, I studied film production. I’ve worked as a director, writer and producer for short award-winning films, but I found what I really loved was the marketing side of production. I’ve always really enjoyed viral marketing for movies, because it gets the audience involved and interested in something that originally no one had a clue about. I’ve pursued this interest and turned my attention to telling stories through marketing, especially utilizing digital media. As I’ve grown and experimented with digital content in freelance work with x,y,z, I’ve found that I enjoy enriching a companies social footprint as it not only brings them profit, but it also helps the client's audience receive a perceived personal touch that makes them feel better about themselves and put trust and loyalty into x-product/company, etc.

How to handle tough clients/management/etc: In the past, I've had X-person disagree about using/implementing x-thing. I found when disagreements like this arise, it’s a communication issue, and I like to figure out the root cause of the miscommunication and use it as a chance to build the professional relationship. In the case of my example, I sat with the individual and we talked out the situation with an X agreement on the matter. Moving forward we were able to better understand each other and work together more effectively.

Strength: My past employers and co-workers have all said that I'm very knowledgable. I believe this to be true, as I find I'm a curious person, in general. To illustrate this, at X job, I became the go-to person for not just the customers, but for internal issues. If someone in another department didn't know how things operated, or just had general questions, they usually came to me to discuss procedures.

I feel this one needs work.

quote:

Weakness: As a child, I had a speech impediment which made me a pretty shy kid. They were able to cure my impediment, but I stayed shy for a long time. As I began to realize my professional goals, I knew I needed to correct this shyness, and ever since I have been forcing myself into situations where I have to be vocal and I have to be seen, such as volunteering to be a spokesperson for a group, or purposefully interacting with the public on behalf of an event. By doing this, I have slowly overcome my shyness, even though it does creep up now and again.

The truth is, I am shy. It does cause issues. I try to work past the issues.

I'll start with these, to see what you have to say. I do get asked other things that are field-specific, which I might expand on later.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .
General interviewing question - a recruiter contacted me on LinkedIn about a job. She asked for a resume and a good time to call. I sent her the resume on Friday, and said that anytime this week would be good. How long do I wait for a call before following up?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ElHuevoGrande posted:

General interviewing question - a recruiter contacted me on LinkedIn about a job. She asked for a resume and a good time to call. I sent her the resume on Friday, and said that anytime this week would be good. How long do I wait for a call before following up?

Until the end of this week, I would say.

Sivlan
Aug 29, 2006

StarSiren posted:

Weakness: As a child, I had a speech impediment which made me a pretty shy kid. They were able to cure my impediment, but I stayed shy for a long time. As I began to realize my professional goals, I knew I needed to correct this shyness, and ever since I have been forcing myself into situations where I have to be vocal and I have to be seen, such as volunteering to be a spokesperson for a group, or purposefully interacting with the public on behalf of an event. By doing this, I have slowly overcome my shyness, even though it does creep up now and again.

Don't mention the speech impediment, just say you can be somewhat shy and you find that it sometimes [whatever you feel it does to hamper you] but you've actively been working on overcoming it. That's actually a nice honest weakness that doesn't sound alarm bells and shows you can recognize your own faults. If they follow up on why (they won't) you should mention the speech impediment thing and how its colored your life, but this will never come up.

That weakness question (I ask it myself, though I ask for 3) is really just a chance to let the interviewee hang themselves with answers like (I've actually heard these in interviews): "Sometimes I don't like to work, so I just pretend to do work all day while watching netflix.", "I'm pretty lazy and find getting to work everyday a chore.", and "I tend to sabotage things I don't like or disagree with."

Try yourself out on the question that managed to kill the most candidates in my most recent round of interviews:

Describe a time when you went above the "call of duty" in a job or school setting.

Why did you choose to do so?

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Sivlan posted:

Try yourself out on the question that managed to kill the most candidates in my most recent round of interviews:

Describe a time when you went above the "call of duty" in a job or school setting.

How did that kill candidates? Please tell me it doesn't involve Call of Duty.

StarSiren
Feb 15, 2005

Sivlan posted:

Don't mention the speech impediment, just say you can be somewhat shy and you find that it sometimes [whatever you feel it does to hamper you] but you've actively been working on overcoming it. That's actually a nice honest weakness that doesn't sound alarm bells and shows you can recognize your own faults. If they follow up on why (they won't) you should mention the speech impediment thing and how its colored your life, but this will never come up.

That weakness question (I ask it myself, though I ask for 3) is really just a chance to let the interviewee hang themselves with answers like (I've actually heard these in interviews): "Sometimes I don't like to work, so I just pretend to do work all day while watching netflix.", "I'm pretty lazy and find getting to work everyday a chore.", and "I tend to sabotage things I don't like or disagree with."

Good advice! From now on, I'll be sure to drop the impediment part out. Also, I don't know why anyone would admit to pretending to work!

quote:

I've answered this question before, and I've used a real life scenario...Let me know if this would kill me!

quote:

When I worked retail, I was a team lead and would routinely be the senior employee at the story. During one holiday season, right at crunch time the week before Christmas, there was a woman that started berating and yelling at one of my youngest team members. I went over to investigate and basically learned that the woman claimed she had called ahead and thought there was an item available, which we actually hadn't had in stock for a few days at that point. The woman was clearly stressed out and being a bit aggressive. Since my young co-worker was also upset, I had her take five minutes, and I took the woman over to one of our phones. I got out the phone book and I started calling around to other stores on behalf of this woman, looking for this item. During the whole time, I tried cracking jokes and making this lady smile, talking to her about who she was trying to purchase the gift for. I eventually found a place that had the item, I told them who I was and had them hold the item for the woman so she could go pick it up. By the time she left, the woman was super happy and even apologized to the co-worker she yelled at. Even though this situation started out aggressive, I knew there was a simple communication issue going on. Once I got to the root of the problem, it just seemed natural to try and help this customer out. Not only did she leave feeling better, but my actions made for a loyal customer in the future, as she became a repeat business.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

StarSiren posted:

quote:
Tell me about yourself: I like telling stories. In college, I studied film production. I’ve worked as a director, writer and producer for short award-winning films, but I found what I really loved was the marketing side of production. I’ve always really enjoyed viral marketing for movies, because it gets the audience involved and interested in something that originally no one had a clue about. I’ve pursued this interest and turned my attention to telling stories through marketing, especially utilizing digital media. As I’ve grown and experimented with digital content in freelance work with x,y,z, I’ve found that I enjoy enriching a companies social footprint as it not only brings them profit, but it also helps the client's audience receive a perceived personal touch that makes them feel better about themselves and put trust and loyalty into x-product/company, etc.

How to handle tough clients/management/etc: I like to figure out the root cause of the miscommunication and use it as a chance to build the professional relationship. In the case of my example, I sat with the individual and we talked out the situation with an X agreement on the matter. Moving forward we were able to better understand each other and work together more effectively.

Strength: My past employers and co-workers have all said that I'm very knowledgable. I believe this to be true, as I find I'm a curious person, in general. To illustrate this, at X job, I became the go-to person for not just the customers, but for internal issues. If someone in another department didn't know how things operated, or just had general questions, they usually came to me to discuss procedures.

I feel this one needs work.

quote:

The truth is, I am shy. It does cause issues. I try to work past the issues.

I'll start with these, to see what you have to say. I do get asked other things that are field-specific, which I might expand on later.

Do you actually walk them through the conversations or is that fairly close to a quote?

On the second piece, being knowledgeable is not a strong answer to explaining what you think your best strength is. It can help if you're moving to a new company with a 1:1 product that you'll be dealing with, but even then one of the problems with it is that your described strength is a pretty common quality that is likely a part of the job description. You should talk about things that drive you, how you feel about being great at something and why, and/or an adaptable trait or skill that you pass on to other people. I'd rather know that your strength is quickly becoming knowledgeable because it's important to you that you become the go-to person in your career (and I'd like to know how you actually do that), not that your biggest strength is that you learned a lot about something.

Those were the two biggest stand-outs, though overall I didn't see passion for the work as much as an experienced worker. That's not bad, in and of itself, but I don't know how competitive your market is. As an interviewer I ideally want to know I'm hiring someone who loves the work, and I want to be engaged while they tell me why.

Also, I like the weakness. It can be extremely powerful if I have an impressive interviewee who can explain how they got over a personal challenge--though I'd agree to take shy instead of disclosing what can be considered private medical information. Give me a story about when you realized it, and let me walk through your challenges with you. Tell me about the first time you found yourself getting over it, I want to know how you knew that you were getting over it and what made you proud.

EDIT: Subtle changes for your retail answer:
It's a good foundation for an answer, but I would definitely drop the word "claimed" and all insinuation that she might have been wrong. Simply, it shows your inner monologue with a negative edge; it is stronger to say something like "She let me know she called and was under the impression we had the item in stock, which we didn't. Someone from our store may have accidentally given her misinformation, or she may have simply called another store on accident, but either way my only concern was that she walked away remembering her experience with us the way we wanted to be remembered. Being the team lead and senior employee, it was a great opportunity for me to lead by example as well so I . . . "

Just like that, a story which every interviewer has heard a million times, "Angry customer doesn't know right from left, so I jump through hoops to make them smile," turns into "I always look for opportunities to lead by example, especially when others perceive a situation as challenging. Part of what I bring to your company is confidence and a professional attitude that I am always conscious of imparting on others through even everyday activities."

EDIT EDIT:
Wow I sound really down on your stuff, but I promise I'm not! You're going in the right direction!

FAN OF NICKELBACK fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 12, 2013

Sivlan
Aug 29, 2006

KernelSlanders posted:

How did that kill candidates? Please tell me it doesn't involve Call of Duty.

It's just a really good opportunity for candidates to reveal either a lack of work ethic or, sometimes, that they have questionable motivations. The first usually comes up when they can't think of a good example of a time they went the extra mile on something. I'm paraphrasing entire (awkward) conversations but a number of candidates basically told me, "I've never done more than asked, I don't think I ever would, its just a job right?". For the second pitfall, I had a couple of people use volunteer work as their example of going above and beyond, but when I asked them why they did so, one person said, essentially, it was a great way to meet girls. The other guy said it made him feel better that there are people worse off than him.

It's a good foundation for an answer, but I would definitely drop the word "claimed" and all insinuation that she might have been wrong. Simply, it shows your inner monologue with a negative edge; it is stronger to say something like "She let me know she called and was under the impression we had the item in stock, which we didn't. Someone from our store may have accidentally given her misinformation, or she may have simply called another store on accident, but either way my only concern was that she walked away remembering her experience with us the way we wanted to be remembered. Being the team lead and senior employee, it was a great opportunity for me to lead by example as well so I . . . "

I agree, its a good start.

Most people that had retail experience had a similar story, where an angry customer comes in and they bend over backwards to help them. Where you distinguish yourself, at least for me, is the reason you did that. It let's you demonstrate that you are a leader if you go with "it was a great opportunity to demonstrate to the rest of the staff what we expect...", or that you are conscientious and compassionate, "it just seemed like she had a rough day and I wanted to make sure she remembered our store positively...". Depending on how you want to present yourself, you can take it a lot of places.

People tend to look for motivations that reflect a desire to help the team and coworkers, or (more unrealistically) make the company look good. Be wary of answers that stray too far into the "I'M A GOOD COMPANY MAN" realm. Stuff expressing the sentiment that, "I'd do anything for the people I work for!", is highly unbelievable and its unrealistic that your entire motivation could be the good of the corporation that you have no ownership stake in.

StarSiren
Feb 15, 2005

Thank you, both! I'm going to keep these things in mind, and rework my phrasing. I have an in-person interview tomorrow, so I will try out the updated approach and see how it goes!

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I'm curious as to what the consensus is on just going to a business and asking if there is anyone you could talk to, with the goal of starting out as an informational interview and segueing it into asking for a job. I'm trying to get into film production but it's a pretty interesting industry to get into. All I'm looking for is an entry level production assistant position. From the people I've talked to, those jobs are not really put out there (in terms of online job postings), but usually if they need the help and someone approaches them, they'll probably get some kind of work pretty quickly. I've been looking at smaller production studios (in the Seattle area) and I've had a little luck with emailing people blindly at the studios, but I'm getting to that point where I NEED something. And not "need" as in I will do anything for work, but "need" as in this is an industry I honestly love and want to be a part of, it's just that my bank account is shrinking below a point I'd rather it not be at.

So yeah, as far as just going in the front door and asking for 10-15 minutes of their time, is it foolish to start as an informational interview and then ask about jobs, or should I put it out at the beginning that I want to work for them?

I'm not sure how much experience people here have with film production, but I would love any tips I can get.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Any tips for asking the questions?

In the recent reorganization, management thought my skills were better suited in another group and transferred me there. However, I'm asked to help interview candidates that will take the position I left. It was my first job out of academia, and I did it for about 1.5 years.

The candidates will be screened by phone by the recruiters, and we then see some CVs. Based on that we invite a couple for on-site interviews. Normally, we ask them to for a presentation of 30-45 mins about work they did, and 2 session of 1 hour, where the HR guy and the hiring manager are at least present, and then some more experienced colleagues. I guess I am one of the latter.

I know that I have a very aggressive, direct style of asking questions, but I don't want to burn a candidate down. I also don't want to ask the stereotypical HR questions, but get some more info partially on the technical depth, but also how he is to work with. After all, I have to transfer quite some work to him, and probably collaborate a lot with him.

What are good ways to find out how someone is to work with?

Sivlan
Aug 29, 2006

OperaMouse posted:

Are you doing technical work? The best way to find out how someone is to work with, is to work with them. I make developer candidates code through a sample problem with me. I make artist candidates do a concept sketch process with me.

If you have to work with the guy, I wouldn't attempt to modify your own style much. You need to see how candidates react to it and you're not actually the hiring manager or recruiter so you don't really have to worry too much about maintaining some corporate image/facade.

Subderisorious
Feb 23, 2011
I have some questions that hopefully someone can help with :) I have an interview next week at a major biotech company following a series of phone interviews.

1) I want to bring a list of references but I'm not sure how to format it. I always thought I was supposed to have three people so of those three, I no longer work with two - so do I list their current employers like I see on generic templates?

2) I'm wearing a skirt suit (which is okay since I'm not a guy). Am I supposed to wear nylons? Again, it's a major interview. But wearing nylons for almost 10 hours of being grilled sounds unpleasant.

3) For almost 10 years now, I've had a very small, unoffensive nose piercing (stud). I'm told I should take that out for interviews but isn't that almost deceptive if I plan to wear it when I work?

StarSiren
Feb 15, 2005

I walked away from an interview today with free swag (shirts). Is this normal?

Serious question: They asked me if I had experience doing policy work in a specific sector. I talked about my policy work in a different sector (because I do not have experience in the specific sector in question). They came back around and asked if I had experience with that specific sector, though. I explained I did not but that I felt the principles were the same, for the most part, it's just the subject matter that changes.

Was that, bad? Good? How should I handle a question like that?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Subderisorious posted:

I have some questions that hopefully someone can help with :) I have an interview next week at a major biotech company following a series of phone interviews.

1) I want to bring a list of references but I'm not sure how to format it. I always thought I was supposed to have three people so of those three, I no longer work with two - so do I list their current employers like I see on generic templates?

2) I'm wearing a skirt suit (which is okay since I'm not a guy). Am I supposed to wear nylons? Again, it's a major interview. But wearing nylons for almost 10 hours of being grilled sounds unpleasant.

3) For almost 10 years now, I've had a very small, unoffensive nose piercing (stud). I'm told I should take that out for interviews but isn't that almost deceptive if I plan to wear it when I work?

My opinion

1: I've never heard of anyone actually being asked for references, but I keep a simple sheet titled References in the portfolio I bring to interviews just in case. I personally put their job title and company. Gives credibility to the reference in my mind. Are they getting a reference from my pet sitter, or a manager I used to work for?

2: I'm a guy, but I know this varies by what part of the country your in, and the type of company you are interviewing with. Modern West Coast company, no nylons needed. Stodgy Old East Coast company, play it safe and wear them. Banks and Law firms, definitely nylons. In the south it just kind of depends. Try to do some homework on the company. It's also a generational thing. Folks in my generation (late 20's early 30's) don't really seem to care either way, while my mom who just turned 50 would never even think about not wearing them to a job interview/church/funeral/formal occasion.

Worth mentioning, there are tons of different kinds of nylons out there. You don't have to get the generic Hanes Control Top ones at the drug store. If it's warmer weather wise you can go to a lighter denier nylon which will be a little more sheer and breathe easier. If the mega control top stuff bothers you get ones that don't have it. A decent department store will have a nice selection. Make sure they fit as well! My wife can't stand pantyhose at all, so on the ultra rare occasion where decorum requires a dress and no bare legs she's worn stockings and a garter belt. Keeps her lady bits cooler I guess. Probably not something I would recommend in your situation.

Honestly if I was a woman I would be more worried about having comfortable but interview appropriate shoes for a 10 hour interview day than if I should wear hose or not. Definitely leave the power pumps at home.

3: Once again comes down to the company, try to research what working for them is like. Anyone over the age of 50 is probably going to notice it and unconsciously have a negative impression of it. Many places have a dress code policy that forbids facial piercings. If they don't, don't worry about it.

Interviewing is tricky, you have such a short period of time to make a good impression.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

OperaMouse posted:

Any tips for asking the questions?

Try starting here: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-conduct-a-job-interview.html

Then checking here: http://www.inc.com/guides/2010/04/conducting-job-interviews.html

And specifically this may help: http://www.startuplessonslearned.com/2008/11/abcdefs-of-conducting-technical.html

StarSiren posted:

I walked away from an interview today with free swag (shirts). Is this normal?

Serious question: They asked me if I had experience doing policy work in a specific sector. I talked about my policy work in a different sector (because I do not have experience in the specific sector in question). They came back around and asked if I had experience with that specific sector, though. I explained I did not but that I felt the principles were the same, for the most part, it's just the subject matter that changes.

Was that, bad? Good? How should I handle a question like that?

Never heard of giving out free swag. Then again, I have no idea what field or position you’re going for so maybe it makes sense for their needs?
As for the question, it depends. If you genuinely don’t have that experience, then it’s probably good that you didn’t try to fake it. What the grade to that answer will hinge on is if it really is just the subject matter that changes or not, or if there’s deeper nuances to it that you might have brushed off with that statement that they find important. Not trying to scare you, just that’s an either way kinda question/answer combo.

A better way to approach it in the future might be to say something like “Well I have a lot of experience delivering [X skill] quite well, but I haven't had the opportunity to deliver them in the specific area you’re asking. It seems as though the transition should be fairly seamless, however. Are there specifics to that sector that would concern you about my ability to transition?”

That way you can find out why they’re asking and likely open up a dialogue to prove that you do have those specific skills; experience doing it exactly their way be damned.

Subderisorious posted:

skipdogg covered it pretty well, but I had this unfinished post sitting around from last night so I'm doing it anyway!

1) It is getting rarer to find employers who care about references, mainly because a lot of companies don't allow management or employees to give them combined with the fact that if someone does have references they're . . . y'know, gonna just say good things anyway.

Always good to have on hand though, so here's a couple of examples you can use: 1, 2and 3.

2) Doesn't matter. Seriously, it really doesn't. Unless it's part of their dress code, in which case I'm lying and it matters a lot. You may want to call and ask if that's the case and just make whatever decision from there.

3) You're going into an interview to show what you're capable of at your best, not who you are every day. Your interviewer doesn't look like that every day either (generally), and it's not deceptive any more than not wearing jorts to a funeral even though that's what you might have normally worn that day.

Find out if it's in the dress code. If it's not, then wear it after you get hired. Interviews are not the place to worry about fashion; so break down your looks to what is necessary to look professional and leave anything else at home. If you even begin to question if you shouldn't do something, then you probably shouldn't just to be safe.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
You could get passed over for wearing a piercing; you won't get passed over for not having one.

Seems like a pretty easy decision to me. After that, see what everyone else in the office does. Heck I usually show up to the office on Friday in jeans and a t-shirt, but I wouldn't have gotten hired if I hadn't worn a suit to the interviews. It's not dishonest, it's what's expected.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Had a second interview last week and was told they'd have a decision Friday (today). I haven't gotten a call. I'm really bummed and feeling really despondent right now. Everything seemed to be going awesome and they acknowledged me to be a solid fit.

Would it be useless or bad form to email on Monday to ask what's up?

me your dad fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 14, 2013

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

me your dad posted:

Had a second interview last week and was told they'd have a decision Friday (today). I haven't gotten a call. I'm really bummed and feeling really despondent right now. Everything seemed to be going awesome and they acknowledged me to be a solid fit.

Would it be useless or bad form to email on Monday to ask what's up?

I've literally never had them respond on time. Ive been in a lot of interviews. How long ago was the interview?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I have an interview for a very 'hands on" Mechanical Engineer position with business casual dress code.

I am thinking:
-Collared, button up shirt.
-Khaki or navy pants.
-sport coat or blazer that matches but probably a different color than the pants.
-Leather shoes but not shiny ones.
-No tie

What do you all think of this?

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

CarForumPoster posted:

I have an interview for a very 'hands on" Mechanical Engineer position with business casual dress code.

I am thinking:
-Collared, button up shirt.
-Khaki or navy pants.
-sport coat or blazer that matches but probably a different color than the pants.
-Leather shoes but not shiny ones.
-No tie

What do you all think of this?

Will you be involved with manufacture? If yes then that should be good.

Best path is always to ask your recruiter or hiring manager "would a suit be appellate attire for the interview" so they know you intend to aim high and can talk you down as appropriate.

I'd recommend this for everyone, every time and for almost every job if the interview expectation isn't immediately apparent, though.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

CarForumPoster posted:

I've literally never had them respond on time. Ive been in a lot of interviews. How long ago was the interview?

The second interview was Thursday, September 5th.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

me your dad posted:

The second interview was Thursday, September 5th.

I would assume you sent a follow up thank you. If you have, then wait two weeks to send an email.

Will you be involved with manufacture? If yes then that should be good.

Best path is always to ask your recruiter or hiring manager "would a suit be appellate attire for the interview" so they know you intend to aim high and can talk you down as appropriate.

I'd recommend this for everyone, every time and for almost every job if the interview expectation isn't immediately apparent, though.

Yes though I will be there as an engineer. We had this conversation via email about it (formalities removed):

Him: It was nice speaking with you yesterday. I think it would be worthwhile for you to come down for an on-site visit as the next step in this process. You mentioned availability on Thursdays so how does 9/19/2013 sound? Please let me know.
Me: Sounds perfect to me. What time should I be there? It is a little over 3 hours from my area to your location.
Him: Please plan to be here at 10am. Business casual is fine. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
Me: Aww but I look so beautiful in a suit, haha. I'll be there at 10, can't wait. Other than the interview basics, is there anything it would be help to bring or fill out ahead of time? E.G. application, samples/pictures of work I've done, etc.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
Then you should be fine.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

CarForumPoster posted:

I would assume you sent a follow up thank you. If you have, then wait two weeks to send an email.

Definitely. I sent unique thank you emails the following day to each of the three people involved in the interview.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

me your dad posted:

Definitely. I sent unique thank you emails the following day to each of the three people involved in the interview.

Yea you're golden. Chances are the people interviewing you may not have the final say in hiring you, someones out of town, you're second choice, etc. Point is I've never gotten told yes or no on the first day they said I would.

I interviewed at a major car company. Thought I aced it HR girl said if it were up to her they'd decide today but they had to interview everyone. Said it'd be two weeks. Gave me her personal cell phone number.

...I both didn't get the job and didn't hear about it for 3 months. Called or emailed about once a month.

• Locked thread