Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yes, it’s back! :dance: The oath thread is here and ready for your promises, dreams and whatever else you want to paint up for the year.

What, exactly, is the oath thread, you ask? Basically, you say you’ll paint something, you paint it, and you’re automatically entered in various prize draws for free loot!

The longer answer is: you promise (or OATH) that you will paint one or more miniature figures during a calendar month, and completing your oath, along with various challenges, gets you a certain number of points. At the end of each month, the points for each participant go into a pool from which a random draw is made for FREE prizes from our various sponsors! Every 3 months, anyone who has completed the bonus point challenge, called the ‘Detektuv’s Jurnal’, for that month and the 2 previous is automatically entered into our Quarterly Draw with bigger prizes, and at the end of the oathing season (April 2014) the top 10 scorers will earn the biggest prizes of all, and every person that earned points in various ways will again be in with chances to win the random draw prizes. There’s over $2000 worth of prizes from various gaming companies and your fellow goons!

This year’s theme is...

'I hear you will take any case, Mr. Green.' Da voice was silky smoov, but da disgust was evident in 'er voice. 'Well, I hope that's true because nobody else will help me.'

Da voice kut through da pounding in me 'ead, and tho I couldn't yet open me eyes I started to sit up. Me best bottle of Mad Ork 20/40 slipped off the table and playing cards stuck to me face. Evry bit o’ me was on fire, me ‘ead felt as heavy as a rock and sumfin' felt wrong in me mouf. When I took a bref even I was surprised at ‘ow much I stank.

Da last kase had ended badly. I'd found da kowardly grot wot da klient wanted, but had got so karried away wiv da krumpin dat 'e was a green smear on da floor - before I 'ad found where da loot was hidden! Da klient woz not happy I told ‘im, and I found a big ol' broozer waiting at da office. We showed each uvver a fing or two an' then went for many or lots of drinks at da bar.

I couldn' tell if da pain I ‘ad woz from da beatin' or da booze. Prolly both. But I knoo that if I didn't speak to da noo klient den I wouldn't get a kase. An' if I didn' get a kase then I'd be drinkin' no more, and a drink woz exactly what I needed rite now.

'I'll take yer kase miss,' I grumbled. Den I opened my eyez an' fell outta me chair wiv surprize. Starin' me in da face was a big steel fing, not at all feminine an’ sweet like da owner of da voice. Some sorta smoke woz comin’ out of its body and it glared at me face wit wot I fot was beady li’l eyes.

Peekin' round da side of da big metal lad, I saw a weedy oomie witch, wiv a magikal staff flickerin' wiv flames dat made me eyez 'urt even more. She had a body that wood melt icebergs but her face woz set in stone.

My mouf felt like it woz full o’ gravel and damp wool as I finally answered ‘er. 'I'm da best in da bizness, lady... if yer bizness involves even a lil' bit o' krumpin.'

The oomie wooman moved toward me an’ da metal man stepped to de side. ‘I hope you are the best, Mr. Green. No one else will even try to look for my precious Locknar.’

‘Yer wha?’ I said, tryin’ ta unnerstand what she were on about as she kept blabbin’. Somethin’ bout some bad guys takin’ some green thing or other, bustin into her flat or somefink. I lost track of wot she was sayin, she jus kept lookin inta me eyes. Me ‘ed got all fuzzy and I jus’ found meself nodding and saying ‘yes, yes’ a lot.

Eventually she finished and smiled at me. She even touched me cheek! Hoomie wommin don’ like to touch me cheek, or even smile at li’l ol’ me.

Me mind was clear and me mouf dint ‘av no rocks in it any more. ‘You bet I’ll take your case, ma’am. I’ll find yo’ Locknar!’

She smiled and stood up. ‘You’d better get dressed, then.’

Over the next year, we’ll be following Mr. Green as he attempts to recover a hidden treasure for a mysterious woman and her metallic sidekick!

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I’m sure everyone wants to extend their gratitude to goons Backno, Fix and thiswayliesmadness for getting the oath thread started and keeping it going for the past few years - without their hard work and dedication, the thread wouldn’t be what it is now!

If you want to check the scores, click here for the monthly spreadsheets

THIS MONTH’S THEME IS: TWO Detektuv's Jurnals!

Monthly themes for Detektuv’s Jurnal:
May: Suiting Up
June: Battle Damage
July: Cut and Swap
August: Weathering
September: Freehand
October: Breast Cancer Awareness
November: Movember
December: Non-Metallic Metal
January: Object-Source Lighting!
February: Break the 4th Wall
March: Conversions!
April: TWO Detektuv's Jurnals!

Check out the talent of the Oath Thread in our MONTHLY SLIDESHOWS!
May Oath Complete Album
June Oath Complete Album
July Oath Complete Album
August Oath Complete Album
September Oath Complete Album
October Oath Complete Album
November Oath Complete Album
December Oath Complete Album
January Oath Complete Album
February Oath Complete Album
March
April

Bonus Slideshows!
Display Boards
Dioramas
Get Based Out
(see below for details how to enter these mini-competitions and earn extra points and prizes!)

Of course, this is a painting competition, so here are our MONTHLY JUDGE'S PICKS!
MAY: Composition: Judge Bachtere Creativity: Judge Thiswayliesmadness Artistry: Judge Sole.Sushi
JUNE: Composition: Judge Bachtere Creativity: Judge Thiswayliesmadness Artistry: Judge Sole.Sushi
JULY: Composition: Judge Bachtere Creativity: Judge Thiswayliesmadness Artistry: Judge Sole.Sushi
AUGUST: Composition: Judge Bachtere Creativity: Judge Thiswayliesmadness Artistry: Judge Sole.Sushi
SEPTEMBER: Composition: Judge Bachtere Creativity: Judge Thiswayliesmadness Artistry: Judge Sole.Sushi
OCTOBER: Composition: Judge Bachtere Creativity: Judge Thiswayliesmadness Artistry: Judge Sole.Sushi
NOVEMBER: Composition: Judge Bachtere Creativity: Judge Thiswayliesmadness Artistry: Judge Sole.Sushi
DECEMBER: Composition: Judge Bachtere Creativity: Judge Thiswayliesmadness Artistry: Judge Sole.Sushi
JANUARY: Composition: Judge Bachtere Creativity: Judge Thiswayliesmadness Artistry: Judge Sole.Sushi
FEBRUARY: Composition: Judge Bachtere Creativity: Judge Thiswayliesmadness Artistry: Judge Sole.Sushi
MARCH: Composition: Judge Bachtere Creativity: Judge Thiswayliesmadness Artistry: Judge Sole.Sushi
APRIL: Composition: Judge Bachtere Creativity: Judge Thiswayliesmadness Artistry: Judge Sole.Sushi

Such lucky goons! Here are our MONTHLY PRIZE WINNERS!
May
June
July
August
September
October
November
December
January
February
March
April

LET’S MEET OUR PRIZE SPONSORS! :dance:
in alphabetical order...

Badger Minitaire Paints
New thread sponsor!
https://www.badgerairbrush.com
https://www.badger-airbrush.co.uk
https://www.minitaire.co.uk

CoolMiniorNot
New thread sponsor!

Corvus Belli & Infinity the Game
Returning thread sponsor!

Dragon Forge Miniatures
Returning thread sponsor!

Games 'n' Gears
New thread sponsor!

Hawk Wargames
New thread sponsor!

KR Multicase
Returning thread sponsor! - soft foam for figures, hard cases for soft foam

MiniWarGaming
New thread sponsor!

Mura Miniatures
New thread sponsor!

Springer-Pinsel Kolinsky Sable Brushes
New thread sponsor!

The Troll Trader
New thread sponsor!

Wayland Games
New thread sponsor!

And we can’t forget our GOON PRIZE SPONSORS!
Leperflesh will be giving away third annual Savin’ da Whales prize!

Ineptmule will be awarding a prize in a bi-monthly draw for themed model groups! In addition, at the end of the year there will an extra prize awarded to the most creative or best executed theme for a group of models.

Manifest will be giving away a hand-selected pack of bits from his 15 year old bits bin to one conversion every quarter!

krushgroove will be giving away a custom piece of terrain each quarter for a lucky winner, plus a top-end airbrush as a Grand Prize!

Bachtere will be giving away 1 painted figure to a lucky winner every quarter!

And our volunteer prize-givers and prize-finders, all in with a chance to win a great retail prize at the end of the oathing season, again in alphabetical order:
goon Arlaharen - $75 towards the prize of your choice!
goon lilljonas from Mura Miniatures - a Grand Prize for sub-25mm army painters, AND another random prize for anyone who paints any sub-25mm oath!
goon Mr.Booger - several Grab Bag prizes
goon Namelos - more Grab Bag prizes plus books from the Black Library!
goon Pierrethemime - once again, Oathbreaker avatars!
goon Tadhg - for the second year, a fantastic Grand Prize - ANY Games Workshop starter set!
goon Thundercloud - boxed and bagged Grab Bag prizes
goon Zhent - $100 towards a set of gift vouchers for our mini-competitions!
goon Signal - Grab Bag prizes
goon Maniac Matt - Grab Bag prizes
goon Vondizimo - TWO special one-off prizes!
goon Slimnoid - a special one-off prize!
goon djfooboo - Grab Bag prizes
goon NTRabbit - a special one-off prize!

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 14, 2014

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

The Golden Rule
This main purpose of this thread is to HAVE FUN and GET YOUR MODELS PAINTED. Of course, you have the chance to win FREE PRIZES from our generous sponsors, too!

The other rules (Silver, Red, Green, Blue...all the way to Burnt Orange)

Want some snew? What’s snew? I dunno, What’s new with you?
In general, the format of the competition and prize drawing are the same, but it’s been opened up to many more product lines by specifically making oathing more friendly to skirmish (25-28mm scale but lower model count) and historical (6mm-15mm) gamers. There's a ton of fun extra painting bonuses you can do, dioramas are back, there's another category for something even bigger (!) than dioramas and our sponsor prizes are at least as impressive as the last oath thread!

ANY miniature from ANY model line is welcome!
The first iterations of this thread were all Games Workshop, and the last thread did a great job of breaking that trend and allowing anyone to join up with their Flames of War, Malifaux, Warmachine and other models. We’re also expecting a huge number of Reaper Bones models to flood the thread, so we want to welcome fantasy, cyberpunk, steampunk and all the various genres of miniature models to the thread.

What do you need to take part?
A computer (perhaps the one you are reading this post on? or at least a phone/tablet)
A camera (everyone’s got a camera these days, your phone will have something half-decent)
A model to paint
Painting supplies (minimum: a brush and paint, or see the Miniatures Painting thread for help)
The will to make a sacred oath and carry through painting it!

How the Points Work (aka How You Win Free Stuff)
You’ll earn points just for posting an oath picture (see below). You’ll earn extra points for completing your oath, basing your model, doing the various bonus challenges and more. You can also make a diorama for extra points, and there are other things that will earn you a few points here and there. Also, the judges will be passing out points for their top 3 choices each month, plus an extra point for the best Detektuv’s Jurnal (see below).

1 point: oath with approved picture proof

1 point: base your model (minimum is sand and paint or flocking)

5 points: completed oath picture posted before the end of the month

1 point: completed picture has username in it

2 points: current month’s Detektuv’s Jurnal (see below for details on this)

All of these points are added up each month for every participant, and every month various winners will be drawn from all the people who’ve earned points that month in various categories. Every 3 months is a Quarterly Prize Draw, where everyone who has completed the Detektuv’s Jurnal for the previous 3 months is entered to win. At the end of the oath season there are even more prizes and more points to be had, so if you’re a regular oather you’ll be loving it!

You can also enter into various competitions and prize drawings that will be decided at the end of the season!

The New Minimum Oath
Last year the minimum oath was 3 figures in the 28mm scale, and it didn’t work so well for certain game systems like Warmaching and Malifaux, so this year the minimum oath is a mere ONE model in 25-30mm scale. We’ve scaled down the requirements for models of different sizes, as well:

Category > Scale > Minimum
Tiny > 6mm > 5 models (e.g., a ‘stand’ of 5 Epic troops)
Small > 15mm > 3 models (e.g., Napoleonic/historical, Flames of War squad)
Average > 25-30mm > 1 model (e.g., a human-sized model from most game systems, a Dreadfleet ship)
Large > 25-30mm monster, creature or larger > 1 model (e.g., dragon, heavy warjack, dreadnought)

Why just 1 model as the minimum oath now?
The reason why is because some people like to paint one model at a time to a very high standard, or you might want to paint something that doesn't fall conveniently in our size categories (like a Dreadfleet ship, for example).

The points you earn are changed a bit, too - declaring the minimum oath will get you 1 point. If you oath properly, base the model, post a finished picture with your username, and do the Detektuv’s Jurnal you’ll have 10 points for the month.

You can also choose to paint a single figure over the course of the month and pour a ton of time into it to try and earn first place points from all three judges - if that works out, you’ll earn a huge number of points!

There is also an incentive for those who wish to paint more models in a themed group, click here and scroll down to the Organizer's Prizes section to read about Ineptmule’s bi-monthly themed group prize!

Hey, what about terrain! I make terrain. Let me paint my terrain! Can I paint terrain? Terrain.
Okay, okay! For any of you that want to paint terrain, here’s your chance to do so. Terrain is a bit difficult to decide the minimum on, because of the various scales we’re dealing with, but we’ve simplified things so that you just need to paint and base terrain of a certain base size for the minimum oath. The number of pieces needed to satisfy the minimum oath will vary according to the scale you are doing:

Category > Scale > Minimum
Tiny > 6mm > two pieces approx. 1”x2” each or one larger piece approx. 1”x4”
Small > 25-30mm > two pieces approx. 1”x6” each or one larger piece approx 2”x6”
Average > 25-30mm > one piece approx. 4”x5”
Large > 25-30mm > one piece approx. 5”x8” or larger each

In the picture you take of your unpainted terrain, you’ll need to include a ruler of some sort so we can can figure out how large your terrain piece is. And remember the oath is for PAINTING the terrain, not BUILDING it - so unless you really want a challenge, build your terrain piece first, then oath it.

Naturally, you can have something extremely tall but on a small base - in this case put the ruler leaning against the terrain and it should be fine. We don’t want to get into mathematical formulas of surface density here!

How to Properly Make an Oath
The method for getting your oath approved is the same as last year (these are exactly the same rules with some extra bits, just reworded for clarity):
1. Make sure you are posting your oath earlier than the last calendar week of each month. So for February you must post by 12 midnight (GMT) the 21st of February. You will NOT get any points for your Approved Picture if it is posted too late! See the Deadline Times section below to see the cut-off times everyone must work to.
2. Make sure your model is in one of these stages:
2a. still on sprue, partly assembled or unassembled
2b. assembled with no paint
2c. assembled and ONE color of primer on any parts (if you use multiple shades of primer, this means a maximum of one color!)
2d. single-color basecoat (part-primer and part-basecoat is NOT allowed - that's two different colors)
3. Make SURE your model has either NO paint on it, or A SINGLE COLOR of paint on it. If you’ve painted the model beyond a basecoat, it will not be accepted.
4. If you’re oathing terrain, you’ll need to include a ruler so we can figure out the size.
5. Go to http://www.worldtimeserver.com/ on your computer/tablet/phone, select the current time in your region and take a picture of the oath model(s) beside the date on the screen. The time, date and location should be readable and the model should be in focus. Be patient and make sure the picture is READABLE and IN FOCUS before uploading your picture.
6. Hit the ‘Reply’ link and put something like ‘I, [yourname], oath that I will paint this [model name]’ - make sure this text is in BOLD.
7. Please also indicate what line of miniatures your figure(s) are from - Citadel/GW, Reaper, Malifaux, etc. - this helps us with divvying up prizes from different model lines.
8. Is your model a conversion? There's a special mini-competition every quarter for the best conversion - this requires a PRE-CONVERSION PICTURE. Pre-Conversion means before cutting anything or adding on any bits.
9. Are you painting your model in a certain theme? There's a special bi-monthly mini-competition for the best themed group of models, so tell us if you're planning a theme! See the section 'Organizer's and Judge's Contests' below for details on the themed competition.
10. Is this your very first time oathing? Post in bold 'Awwww, it's a baby!' so we know to give an EXTRA POINT just for joining us! You'll also be entered into a separate prize draw just for first-timers!
11. Is your model smaller than 25mm scale? Make sure to tell us so you're included in the separate prize draw just for smaller-scale models!
12. Upload your picture to http://www.imgur.com or another free photo-hosting site and copy the BB code link into your oath post.
13. Hit the ‘submit’ button and check the thread periodically for your oath to be accepted! (If you have any doubts about your oath being accepted, wait until Sole.Sushi approves it, or at least 24 hrs before starting to paint it.)

Once you post your Approved Pictures, your oath is LOCKED IN and cannot be changed, only added to (see below).

These are what ACCEPTABLE oaths look like:

These are what UNACCEPTABLE oaths look like:

These models have more than 1 color of paint on them!

It’s difficult to tell if this model has more than one color of paint on it!

The time stamp is difficult or impossible to read!

Sole.Sushi has every right to request or even demand better/different photos of your oath picture, but he’d really rather not - so take a clear picture! Obviously, doctored photos are grounds for disqualification. If you have any doubts if your oath picture will be accepted, wait at least a day or so before putting any paint on it. (Sole.Sushi provides answers on questions such as 'why bother posting a picture if we can start painting'

Please note that Sole.Sushi may not be able to accept your oath right away - if you're in doubt, wait about 24 hours, but otherwise, if you're sure you made your oath properly, go ahead and start painting.

An approved oath picture gets you 1 point - hooray, you’re on the board!

Alternate Universe Oaths
What if you want to just test the waters and see how this oath thing works for you? Or what if you're working on a huge model or project that you think will take longer than a calendar month? Well that's where you can slip into an alternate universe, just like our detektuv Mr. Green!

To make an Alternate Universe Oath, just follow the same steps as above but clearly state that you are making an Alternate Universe Oath.

The rules for Alternate Universe Oaths is in the next section, see the 2. Alternate Universe style bit just below.

Oathing Additional Models
With a single-model minimum, you have plenty of room to add additional models each month if you want. If you add to your oath, please include your previously accepted Approved Pictures, point them out as such, and say what they were. This will make keeping track of people's running oaths much easier. The easiest way to do this is to QUOTE your original oath post, then follow the directions below.

You now have TWO OPTIONS to oath additional models each month:
1. ‘Gotta do this bonus’ style (similar to last thread’s oath addition):
a. QUOTE your original oath post and add underneath that you are ‘making an oath addition!
b. You get NO additional points for your oath addition picture, and NO additional points for completing your oath addition.
c. If you didn’t do a Detektuv’s Jurnal for your original oath, you can do one for this oath and you’ll get the extra points.
d. These oaths ARE eligible for Detektuv’s Jurnal prizes, and other prizes too (like the Quarterly Prize draw)
e. Judges CAN give points for these, so these can make a real difference in your points total!
f. However, if you do not complete this oath and post a completed picture, you FAIL your oath and go onto our mugshot WALL OF SHAME.
g. Basically, you don’t get extra points for an additional oath, but you can earn points for doing the Detektuv’s Jurnal, as well as points from the judges; but you have to complete it so you’re not declared an Oathbreaker!
2. Alternate Universe style (new!):
a. You DO NOT need to quote your original oath post, but DO post in bold that you are ‘making an Alternate Universe additional oath’.
b. These oath additions don't make you an Oathbreaker if you don’t complete them (at least in this universe!)
c. These oath additions do NOT give you extra points, are NOT eligible for prizes, do NOT count towards Detektuv’s Jurnal and will NOT be judged
d. You can also carry over Alternate Universe oath additions to the following month, or whatever month you want!
e. If you complete your Alternate Universe oath, please clearly state in bold ‘Alternate Universe oath complete!’ so we can see it clearly and give you credit properly.
f. Alternate Universe oaths WILL be eligible for a separate $25 gift voucher prize at the end of the oathing season, courtesy of goon Zhent! To qualify for the separate prize, you MUST finish at least one Alternate Universe oaths by the end of the oathing season to be eligible for the prize. You can do as many Alternate Universe oath additions as you want, but you’ll only be entered once into the drawing for the prize at the end of the year.
g. Basically you can make an Alternate Universe oath with no additional pressure, finish it whenever you want (or don’t finish it), but it’s not eligible for judging (and will be marked as such in the completed slide show the judges see).

Oath Completed Photos
When you’re finished, follow these steps to make sure you post your completed oath properly:

1. Make sure you are posting before the end of the calendar month - remember we’re using GMT this time!
2. Don't miss out on a scoring point! INCLUDE YOUR USERNAME IN THE PICTURES - either by writing it on a piece of paper in your photos, or add in your name with photo-editing software (online or otherwise). PLEASE NOTE that if you take lots of pictures of your model(s), it helps everyone if you include your username in every photo, especialy if you have different backgrounds in your photos.
3. Post ‘Oath Complete!’ with a picture your finished model or group (if you're posting multiple pictures, try to use the [timg] tag instead of the [img] tag so they don't take up huge amounts of screen space) - see below for where to get free image hosting and how to post the images
4. If you did the current or any of the previous Detectuv’s Jurnal challenges, TELL US which one in bold
5. If you’re a first-time oath thread participant (don’t lie about this, we have complete lists of all previous participants), tell us you should have the 'Awwww, a BABY!' bonus point
6. If you did any of the One-Time Bonuses, TELL US which one in bold and post whatever is relevant for that bonus
7. If you did anything else that should earn you bonus points, TELL US which one in bold
8. (Optional) Copy your post to the Miniatures Painting Thread and whatever other thread your fellow gamers post in (D&D, Malifaux, Battletech, Historicals, etc.) and encourage them to play, too!

We want to make sure you get the points you're supposed to, so make sure you tell us and check the points tables occasionally.

PICTURE-TAKING
Take Good Pictures! ...if you want points from the judges!
When it comes to impressing the judges, remember that a good quality picture is much more likely than a blurry one to get a judge’s attention. There's lots of methods to take a good quality picture you might want to look up if your model pics can't show your work clearly.

Some basic steps:
  • Use as much light as you can get!
  • If you can use a lightbox (see below) or even paper towels taped across a desklamp, it helps provide a nice diffused light
  • Use the correct lighting setting on your camera - for example, the sun icon means 'daylight', and will show vastly different 'white' if you are using halogen lighting and not using real daylight or daylight bulbs
  • Use the macro setting on your camera
  • Don't use digital zoom!
  • Don't use your phone! (most phones have crappy cameras, only the best smartphones have good cameras)
  • Use a white (unlined!) sheet of paper or just drape a shirt across the back of your desk for a nice and uncluttered background
  • Play with the (optical) zoom, exposure and lighting distance of your camera if you can
  • If you have the time, don't just upload straight from the camera - look at the full-size pictures on a normal-size computer screen and retake the photos if you need to

Check this link out to see how you can have a very basic photo setup (literally a light and some white paper)
Even better is this setup which is still very cheap (bristol board is basically poster board or card stock)
You can also make a lightbox out of a plastic milk jug
For a little bit more advanced setup, check out how to make a simple lightbox out of cardstock or foam board
You can get as advanced as you like - here's another method to taking pictures of your models

You DON'T need a super-advanced massive camera or expensive lighting to get a nice picture if you want to impress the judges - just understand how your camera works and take the time to experiment with different lighting (basically, use the macro mode, rest your camera/hand on something (you don't need a tripod, but it helps), take your time to make sure the camera gets the right focus and use plenty of the same type of lighting - don't mix halogen with flourescent and natural lighting).

Looking for a cool background for your models?
These are a nice size for single models
You can also search Google Images for suitable photo backgrounds to print out

NUMBER OF PICTURES
To limit the number of entries that have a huge number of pictures, we have a hard limit of how many pictures will be allowed per entry:
  • An 'entry' means a single model, whether a single individual on foot or a vehicle, OR a group of individuals (like army squad) or vehicles (an air squadron or tank platoon)
  • Every participant is allowed 2 pictures of each entry: for example, front & rear, left & ride, front & 3/4 view, etc.
  • Every participant is also allowed 1 close-up picture of up to 2 single models, whether an individual or vehicle, OR 2 close-up pictures of a single model

This means that if you oath and complete 1 model, you can have 4 pictures maximum. Also if you have a squad of 2, 5, 10, 30, 100 guys, you can have 4 pictures maximum. However, if you have 2 different groups of models, say a Dreadball team and a Malifaux starter set in the same oath or oath addition, you can have up to 8 pictures (4 pictures of each entry). The idea here is to take a couple of 'overview' pictures of your group of models, and find the BEST 1 or 2 models for close-ups. This allows the judges to get a sense of the color matching and theme of your group, and then get an idea of your final execution with your paints, brushes and skill. This also limits the number of extreme close-up shots anyone can submit.

This is purely to limit the number of completed posts that have 1 picture a squad of 5-10 models...and 5 pictures for every single model. There are very few people who do this, but when someone does a nice model group and has just 1 or 2 pictures, and someone else has an equally skilled presentation and has 30 pictures, there's a problem.

When collecting the pictures from the completed posts at the end of each month, I'll only take the first 4 pictures of each group, and then move on to the next entry in the post and take the first 4 pictures for that group.

Composite photos: Based on current entries, 5 is the average number of photos that are used for composite/montage photos, so 5 will be the maximum. The composite photos should still be under 1024 pixels wide and include the username of the participant.

PICTURE SIZES AND HOSTING
Initially I wasn't bothered about the size of the photos, but for the people that are going for judging points, it's unfair if some people have 3000px wide images straight out of their camera (the equivalent of taking a loupe or magnifying glass to a model if it were in your hands) and others have a picture 400px wide because they've cropped their photos properly. I'm sure no one had any intentions of taking advantage and most people have just posted links to their original images, but we'll need to implement something to make sure everyone gets a fair shake.

So, what that means if you use the various free image hosting solutions:
Imgur:
if you upload something straight from your camera, use the 'Large Thumbnail' BB code, which provides a link to a 640px-wide picture. If you edit your photos, resize it to 1024px or less wide, upload it and feel free to use the 'Original' BB code Imgur provides.
Google Photos/Picasa: open the image in your album and just right-click and 'Copy image URL', the photo will be between 600-800px across
Flickr: find the image in your album, right-click and select 'View Large' size, then right-click and 'Copy image URL', the photo will be 1024px across
Photobucket: use Imgur.com instead, as mentioned previously Photobucket pictures can disappear from your post for some reason. Imgur doesn't require signing up, but if you do your previous pictures are saved and can be organized into albums.
LPix: I'm not familiar with this site but it's free and unlimited to use for SA goons

Using these sizes also helps keep the thread browsing easy, with no need for the 'timg' tag and no pictures going wider than the thread tables.

If you don't edit your photo sizes and just upload the original photo you've taken, I'll resize them to to 640 as mentioned above, but I won't do any editing other than that (no sharpening, no filters, nothing!). If your photo is smaller than that, I won't be blowing it up to that size (because it'll look worse). You have plenty of opportunity for editing your pictures to make them look their best (Google even does 'Auto-Enhance'!) so I will leave that to you guys and gals.

Deadline Times
To make it super-easy to figure out when the cut-off time for new oaths is, as well as to know when you have to post your completed oath, here are the deadline times:

Cutoff Time
US Pacific time: 5 PM
US Mountain time: 6 PM
US Central time: 7 PM
US Easter time: 8 PM
UK time: 1 AM
Central EU time: 2 AM
Perth, upside-downland: 8AM (the morning of the 1st, if it's the start of the month)
Australian Eastern Time: 10AM Saturday (the morning of the 1st, if it's the start of the month)

These are just the times to cover 90% of SA posters, don't be offended if your time zone is not included. And if you are offended, well screw you! If you don't know what time 0:00 GMT is in your time zone, use this link for all your time-telling needs!

Reminders will be posted before the new oath cut-off time, as well as before the oath complete cut-off time. In general, there's no way I'm going to be awake at 1 AM local time, no matter what day it is, so I'll post something 2-4 hours ahead of time and we'll use the forum server timestamps to figure out who posted their oaths a minute too late!

What If I Didn’t Complete My Oath?
Well, you’ll be declared a filthy OATHBREAKER and you’ll go onto the mugshot WALL OF SHAME! As opposed to last year, you aren’t forced to take an avatar, but if you are randomly selected from all the Oathbreakers in a given month, you get to choose if you get an Oathbreaker avatar (some people really want them!). No matter what, your oath picture (the one with the timestamp) will be posted with your username in the thread under the title of Oathbreaker! But you’re welcome to join in again the following month. We’re not posh around here.

How to Save Your Failed Oath (Save Da Whales)
We all screw up from time to time, and it’s no different with failed oaths. You can save your failed oaths if you want, AND be eligible for a prize at the end of the year, so here we are encouraging you to fail! (Really though, don’t fail and be a nasty Oathbreaker. Or go ahead.)

To save a failed, oath, all you have to do is follow the same steps as above for oathing a model, with some exceptions:

1. Post your regular Oath post as usual, but include (all of) the models from (at least) one Oath that you failed. Put the failed-oath models in their own photo and clearly indicate it in your post with "Save Da Whales", and a link to the original failed oath.
2. Whenever you've finished your Oath, post all the finished models, including all of the models from your saved. Keep the Saved models separate from any other models you painted for this month, take a photo of them with the World Time Server clock as normal, and post that you've Saved Da Whales!

Rules:
-You can Save oaths that you previously failed during this year's contest (the 2013-2014 Oath Thread) only.
-You should include the entire failed Oath in both pictures, even if some of the models are already done
-The models in your Oath post from your failed oath can be in any state of completion... even fully painted!
-Saving da Whales does not earn you any points. That means if you want to earn points for completing an Oath this month, you need to also oath, and complete, a valid number of models.
-When you Save da Whales, you earn an entry into the end-of-the-year Whales contest, for a special prize. You don't retroactively get points for the oath that you previously failed, the judges do not look at your saved models for judging/points purposes, and you can't use those models to earn bonus points, detektuv's jurnal points, or qualify for any extra bonus contest.

Example:
Leperflesh fails his June Oath; he oathed five orks, but only finished three of them. In August, he decides to try to Save da Whales: he posts an Oath, including all five Orks in one photo with the time server in it, and a link to his June Oath post. He also decides he wants to earn points for August, so in addition, he Oaths three zombies. Those go in a separate Oath photo with the time stamp, but both photos go in the same august Oath post.

At the end of the month, he posts his Oath Complete post. One photo has all three of his finished Zombies, complete with the monthly Detektuv's Jurnal theme, his user name, the time server, etc. That gets him full points for August. Another photo has the five Orks, completed, with the time stamp photo. That earns him an entry in Savin' da Whales!

Another Example:
Lowtax finished his July oath (of five pewter Admiral Akbar miniatures), but he missed the July deadline! He posted his Oath Complete post ten minutes after the deadline, so they count for nothing. poo poo! Fortunately, he can still Save da Whales; in August, he posts his Oath post (sixteen stands of 6mm german infantry and a 35mm sculpture of a half-naked anime catgirl), and also posts a photo of his (finished) July oath models, indicating he's gonna Save da Whales!

At the end of the month, since Lowtax is a slacker, he hasn't finished his catgirl or his german infantry. He has failed his August oath! He can still post an Oath Complete post with his July Admiral Akbar minitures, though, so at least he completed his Savin da Whales... he gets an entry into the end-of-year Whales contest, but no points for August.

We now also have OATHBREAKER REPENTANCE
We've also worked out how to implement the 'repentance' for past failed oaths, which sadly won't involve making any videos of you dancing your way into bloomers made from pizza, but it'll allow everyone to salvage a little bit just in case they haven't been able to finish an oath. The way this works is: complete a Save Da Whales (re-oath a partially completed oath and finish it) and you'll still be eligible for the consistency bonus that you missed out on by initially failing the oath. For details on this works, look for (or do a Control-F for) 'How to Save Your Failed Oath' and 'End-of-Season Bonuses' in the OP. You can do multiple Save Da Whales to earn your way towards multiple consistency bonuses.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 12, 2013

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

How You Earn Points
So...points. Everyone wants to earn points - after all, the more points you have the better your chances at the free prizes!

Merely making an oath will earn you 1 point for going through the effort of taking a picture and posting it.

A completed pic will be worth 5 points this year.

If you add your username in with picture-editing software (paint.net, the GIMP and even Microsoft Office Picture Manager are free - and there are a million other free editing programs you can try - even Blingee!), or you can even scribble your (legible) name on a scrap of paper and put that in the picture, that gets you 1 extra point, just for the effort it saves us when we collect the pictures for the monthly slideshows.

If your model has its basing done and painted as well, you will earn 1 extra bonus point. Vehicles, models on a clear flying base, terrain, and most models without any kind of base will get this point for FREE. If you’re worried, just ask when you make your Oath post and we’ll reassure you that it’s fine.

The Detektuv’s Jurnal (formerly known as the Kaptain’s Log)
The Detektuv’s Jurnal is basically a skill challenge, put forth every month in a theme that follows our hapless orky detektuv as he travels through the various universes trying to solve his case. Every month, the skill challenge is different because it’s based on what he’s up to at any given time. For example, the first month (May 2013) he’s getting ready to go on his adventure, so the skill challenge for the month is to take 3 Work In Progress (WIP) pictures as you are assembling and/or painting your model. It’s basically a fun way to earn a couple of extra points if you’re trying to compete in the points race, but you don’t have to do the skill challenge if you don’t want to.

So, what if you completed the Detektuv’s Jurnal for the month? Great, you get 2 extra points. We like giving points out!

But hey, what if you didn’t like this month’s Detektuv’s Jurnal and you wanted to do a previous month’s Detektuv’s Jurnal? That’s fine, totally doable, however you only earn 1 point for that. You can only receive one lot of Detektuv’s Jurnal points per month, so if you do the current month’s challenge, you won’t get any bonus points for doing previous challenges that month. Similarly, even if you do more than one previous month’s challenge, you can only receive one bonus point. This allows you to skip the current month’s challenge and do any previous month’s challenge and still earn a point. You can also carry on painting a squad or team of models using the same technique and still earn points.

Keep in mind the judges will be looking out for the BEST use of the Detektuv’s Detektuv’s Jurnal each month - each of the three judges will give out a single point to the painter who best demonstrated the concept of the current month’s Detektuv’s Jurnal, so do your best!

Now let’s say you’ve got plenty of painting skillz and you want to expand your horizons, and do a bunch of other things with your models. Well, there’s plenty of scope for that...

One-Time Bonuses
Yes, you can earn extra points by doing all sorts of things, just like last year, but this time round we’ve expanded the possibilities! The tasks listed below will get you a ONE-TIME bonus that you will get extra points for the first time you do any of them. You’re welcome to do more than one and get every single one-time bonus, but you will only get points for the FIRST time you do any one-time bonus. Again, when you’re posting the finished picture, TELL US in bold when you've completed the requirements for one of these bonuses so we can be sure your points are correct.

All of these bonuses are worth 1 point each, and can be earned just once per participant
Backstory Write a character intro to make us laugh, then make us cry. Then make us laugh again! Why is your adventurer carrying two lanterns, a sack, 4 belt pouches, a backpack and 3 swords. No judging on the content, but extra internet points for making it entertaining in some way. Minimum 50 words. Post your backstory with your Oath Complete picture.
Fly your flag Add and paint a banner, flag, pennant, etc. to your model or its base. Make it relevant to your army/faction!
I rolled a 6!...or a 20...or maybe an 01 - Whichever is better for your chosen game. Create or paint markers, template, dice or some other gaming aid. Pretty up those translucent acrylic templates, custom-carve and/or paint some dice (yes you can get blank dice) or make some other game aid that you have to paint up. Just another way to customize your gaming experience! (To be clear, in this Oath Thread, Warmachine wreck markers are 'markers' and craters/wrecked vehicles for 40K are 'terrain'. We'll cross & burn the bridges for other markers/terrain for other game systems when we get to them!)
Strike a Pose - Pose your completed model in a scene and tell a story! This can be your current oathed model or a model you've completed before *in this season*. Put your model in a scene with another model or group of models, with any scenery you think might fit the scene. Your model could be casting a spell, sharing a beer with his adventuring mates, encouraging his men to move forward or getting ready to pass the game-winning touchdown - but tell us a little story about what's happening in the scene! Minimum 50 words. Post your backstory with your Oath Complete picture.
Parts list - Tell us all the paints, washes, inks and ingredients that went into making your completed model. Don’t forget the materials that went into your base! You can even include the various techniques you used. Post the list with your Oath Complete picture. All brand names and color names required - this can be by putting the colors in the text, or you can even simply take a picture showing all the color names on your paint bottles & pots. For extra love, copy your post to the Miniatures Painting Thread!
In Battle! - Show us a picture of your model in the throes of battle! This can be your current oathed model or a model you've completed before *in this season*. Take a picture of the model surrounded by enemies and fighting til its last breath, or charging forward surrounded by allies. Post the picture with your Oath Complete picture.
Double the fun! - Do TWO Detectuv’s Jurnal/bonuses on one model. One Jurnal and one Bonus is fine too! Be sure to tell us which Jurnals or Bonuses you have completed when you post your Oath Complete picture.
Box art - Copy the original paint scheme that the manufacturer used for your model. You must provide a link to the original artwork on the company's web page, in the company's product catalog (not web forums, etc.) to be counted. Post the link to the original box art with your Oath Complete picture.
Speed painting! - How fast can you paint one model? AFTER your oath is approved, take two pictures with the worldtimeserver.com website clearly in the background of your picture: one at the start of your painting session with your single-color model, and one at the end of your painting session with a completed model! The base does not need to be done to be called 'completed', but remember that if all your models are based you do get a point for basing. The time stamps on the worldtimeserver.com site must be within 24 hours of each other. No extra points for quickest painting time! That would be too hard to prove without video.

End-of-Season Bonuses
There are also bonus points that will be given out at the end of the oathing season.
All of these bonuses are worth 1 point each, and can be earned just once per participant

Awwww! a BABY! - First-time oathing? You get a point! (must state in first oath post)
Good Start! - complete 3 oaths (this is new)
You missed a bit - complete 6 oaths
Captain Consistency - complete 9 oaths
Butter-Smooth! complete 12 oaths!
All consistency bonuses stack with each other, so if you complete 12 oaths you will get an extra 4 points, but if you only complete 11 oaths you will get 3 points

Dioramas, Displays & Bases
You can earn 2 points for doing a diorama and another point for a display board. These will also be judged at the end of the year, with the top scorers for each getting a sweet prize! You can also make a really nice model base that could earn you judge’s points.

Diorama
2 points for completing, AND you can earn a sweet prize for having the best base, based on the judges' votes!
No additional scoring points to be earned from judges' votes
Separate prize for winner based on judge’s scores: a $25 gift voucher prize, courtesy of goon Zhent!
Everyone knows what a diorama is - basically a scene that you create, assemble and paint using one or more miniature models. Post a picture of your unpainted diorama (with timestamp) before starting, and post the completed pictures before the end of the season to earn your points and be eligible for judging! The completed pictures of your diorama must be from various angles.
Be sure to post 'This is my Diorama entry' when posting your Oath Complete picture to make sure we catch your entry.
NOTE: final pictures must have your name in the photos!

Display Board
1 point for completing, AND you can earn a sweet prize for having the best base, based on the judges' votes!
No additional scoring points to be earned from judges' votes
Separate prize for winner based on judge’s scores: a $25 gift voucher prize, courtesy of goon Zhent!
What’s a display board? Basically it’s nice themed display for your army to sit on. Large tournaments have judging categories for displays, or just use it in your gaming display at home. For examples, see here: http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?11490-Tutorial-Building-an-Army-Display-Board and here: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/234170.page and here: http://www.thehogsofwar.com/category/display-board or just Google it: https://www.google.com/search?q=warhammer+display+board
One entry per participant. Post a picture of your unpainted display board (with timestamp) before starting, and post the completed pictures before the end of the season to earn your points and be eligible for judging! The completed pictures of your display board must be from various angles with your army/faction in place.
Be sure to post 'This is my Display Board entry' when posting your Oath Complete picture to make sure we catch your entry.

Get Based Out
0 points for completing, AND you can earn a sweet prize for having the best base, based on the judges' votes!
EXTRA scoring points to be earned from judges' votes
Go all-out making a base! Use your skills and equipment to make a really excellent base that is still playable on the table. 'Playable' means legal and usable for whatever game system the miniature is use for, so no 5" high plinths for a 40K model, no huge building bases for a Flames of War unit, etc.
This mini-competition is different to the two above, because you can submit ANY base you do this season as your Get Based Out entry - you don't need to do a separate base just to qualify. Your Get Based Out entry may be part of any oathed model or it may be separate, however it should be completed as part of a regular oath or an oath addition (thus, completed in one oathing month) - NOT as part of an Alternate Universe oath.
One entry per participant. Post a picture of your unpainted base (with timestamp) before starting, and post the completed picture before the end of the season to earn your points and be eligible for judging!
Be sure to post 'This is my Get Based Out entry' when posting your Oath Complete picture to make sure we catch your entry.
Here's how to do it properly (this was an Oath Complete picture):

Judgements
Yes, this is a painting competition as well - you can earn points for being any judge’s top 3 pick. We have 3 judges and they’ll each be rewarding points each month as follows:
1st place : 3 points
2nd place : 2 points
3rd place : 1 point
Best Detektuv’s Jurnal (must be the current month’s Jurnal): 1 point

We’ll once again use The Bachtere Clause MkII (updated for clarity) - Anyone who receives first or second place from a particular judge will only be eligible for points for third place the next month from that judge. An oather may receive bonus points from more than one judge during a month.

Remember that the judges will be judging the Detektuv’s Jurnal every month (giving out 1 point each), and at the end of the year they will also be choosing their top 3 dioramas, display boards, sub-25mm armies and terrain for extra valuable points!

Let’s Meet Your Judges
Bachtere - last year’s overall winner and general make-your-jaw-drop-that-model-is-so-good painter, the B-man himself is gracing the judging chamber and will help determine this year’s winner!
The Judge for Composition will look for the following things when making his judgement:
a) Basing. Does the base fit with the theme of the model? Does it "work" with the model rather than against it? Is it apparent that effort was put into the base?
b) Technical Merit (assembly). Have mold lines been scraped clean? Does the model's construction go beyond assembly (such as drilling barrels or magnetization)? Is there proper coverage of paint?
c) Technical Merit (painting). Is the coverage of the paint smooth? Does the model strongly display brushstrokes and/or other errors, such as pooled washes? Does the artist display a grasp of the painting techniques he/she used?

thiswayliesmadness - the ever-busy organizer of the last oath thread himself is here to render judgement!
The Judge for Creativity will look for the following things when making his judgment:
a) Model design. Did the artist assemble the model in a dynamic, interesting manner? Does the model itself appear to be constructed with an attention to detail? If the model were gray plastic, would it still be visually engaging? NOTE: not all models are equipped to be posed as the artist sees fit. If that is the case, and the artist does not feel comfortable with altering the model, disregard this criteria for judgment.
b) Technical Ability. Does the artist display a grasp of techniques such as blending, drybrushing, free-hand, and so forth? Did the artist convert their model--if so, does it help or hurt the model? Does the artist display marked improvement of their abilities?
c) Interpretation. Does the artist show a desire to make their model "their own?" Does the style of the artist show through on the model? Overall, does the artist's vision evoke positive reactions or negative reactions?

Sole.Sushi - Our lone returning judge is back for more punishment, and not just in the Halls of Justice, he’s once again doing the Accepted Picture job for us all! As the Judge for Artistry, Sole.Sushi will look for the following things when making his judgment:
a) Scheme. Does the paint scheme chosen stand up by itself? Do the colors work with one another? Is there enough contrast in the scheme to make the model visually interesting?
b) Placement. Does the artist display effective placement of color on the model? Does the paint show off the details of the model? Does the choice of placement add or subtract from the model itself?
c) Color. Does the artist use complementary/allied colors effectively? Is the model vibrant, or does it appear dull? Does the model display solidarity, or is it too busy for the eye to focus upon?

Judging will be similar to most other miniature painting competitions, with high standards expected and much gnashing of teeth while you await your judgement!

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 12, 2013

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Monthly Prizes
Yes, the Monthly Prize draws are back! Every month, whoever completes their oath (with or without a Detektuv’s Jurnal) is put into the drawing for various prizes. These include, but are not restricted to:

Dragon Forge Miniatures

For the FOURTH year in a row, you can get your choice of $12 worth of their awesome bases shipped directly to you!

Corvus Belli

For the SECOND year in a row, whoever paints an Infinity model will get a randomly chosen blister pack from the selection that Corvus Belli have sent us!

Springer-Pinsel Kolinsky Sable Brushes

A German brush manufacturer that's been around for over 100 years, Springer-Pinsel have donated a pack of their top-quality Kolinsky Sable brushes every month for a random participant!

Games 'n' Gears

Games 'n' Gears have promised us enough of their unique double-ended brushes to give away four every month! They are also encouraging all participants to post pictures of the miniatures they complete on Sundays this June - more details here: https://www.facebook.com/events/350021115098113/

The Troll Trader

We were sent an assortment of things that don't fit into one genre, so it seems the easiest thing to do is make each item another monthly prize! Here's what we've got:

Some of these are promo-only models from Scibor, so presumably there's no way to buy these from normal retail stores. These dice bearers are really cool:

But these guys are easily my favorite!

The remaining items are a 60mm diameter objective marker from Micro Arts Studio and one each of plastic and metal model starter sets from Army Painter (with Army Painter painting guides).

Each monthly prize winner will be able to choose one item!

Detektuv’s Grab Bag - click here to check it out
Keeping with tradition, every month, every person who completed an oath will have a chance to win someone from our massive goon-donated Grab Bag! This year, we have a TON of different models available, and even BOOKS! We'll change it up a bit this year and make a real 'grab bag' of pick'n'mix proportions - the winner of the Grab Bag draw will get a randomly selected bunch of loot, but because we have such a huge selection of prizes in the Grab Bag, you'll get to help influence what prizes you pick. And who knows - you may get something rare, something you're really looking for, something you can trade with another goon or fellow player, or something just completely random! Click here to see everything currently in the Detektuv's Grab Bag!

Bi-Monthly Themed Group Contest!
Brand new for this season is a super-cool themed unit contest! All you have to do is make an oath that includes a group of models painted and/or converted to follow any theme. They can be an army unit, sports team, a group of same-race monsters, the crew of a ship, etc. For each group you complete, you’ll get an entry into a bi-monthly (once every two months) prize draw, with the lucky winner getting £25 / US$38.50 / €29.50 / AU$36.50 / CA$39.00 worth of models!

If you win, you are ineligible for the following prize draw, but you’ll be entered for future prize draws.

Minimum qualifying number for different scales:
<15mm - 10 models
15-25mm - 8 models
28mm - 5 models
large, 28mm and upwards - 3 models

For complete details on this contest, see section Organizer’s and Judge’s Prizes below.

Quarterly Prizes
Yes, we’re doing the Quarterly Prizes again! To be eligible for Quarterly Prizes, you must have completeed ALL of the Detektuv’s Jurnal bonus challenges for each quarter, AND completed oaths for each month in each quarter. Since we’re starting this oath season in the middle of year, our quarterly periods end at different times compared to a normal financial or calendar year, as seen below:

First Quarterly Prize: July - must have completed Detektuv’s Jurnal bonus challenges for May, June and July
Second Quarterly Prize: October - must have completed Detektuv’s Jurnal bonus challenges for August, September and October
Third Quarterly Prize: January - must have completed Detektuv’s Jurnal bonus challenges for November, December and January
Fourth and Final Quarterly Prize: April - must have completed Detektuv’s Jurnal bonus challenges for February, March and April

The number of Quarterly Prizes we give out will depend on the number of sponsors we have, but so far we have at least FIVE different Quarterly Prizes to give away!

MiniWarGaming
will be giving away one starter set for their Dark Potential futuristic post-apocalyptic skirmish game for one lucky oather!

Corvus Belli
are again donating an Infinity starter set every quarter!

Goon (and judge) Bachtere will paint one human-sized 28mm figure for one lucky oather!

Goon krushgroove will make a custom piece of terrain for one lucky oather!

End-of-Season Prizes
There’s even more ways to win stuff at the end of the season:

Send the organizers something we can give away as a prize!
Donate a prize of some sort to the thread, and you’ll be entered into a drawing for a gift certificate/voucher from an online store in your region! (this prize may change depending on available prizes from sponsors)

Paint some Infinity Models!
A random Infinity painter will win this awesome set at the end of the oath season)

Paint some nice terrain!
krushgroove will have a separate competition for all the painted terrain during the oath season - the nicest terrain (he picks!) will get a gift certificate to go towards flocking, basing material, tools or whatever you like!

Tiny Troops! Paint a group of models of any scale smaller than 25mm.
Complete at least one oath of models smaller than 25mm to get an entry into a prize draw at the end of this oath season for a custom-made piece of terrain specific to YOUR army, from lilljonas of https://www.muraminiatures.com Maximum of one entry per person.

Tiny Troops Army Prize
Tiny Troops Army Prize - At the end of this oath season, submit an army shot consisting of your sub-25mm miniatures that were oathed during the thread. All models in the army picture MUST have been posted in oath complete pictures during this thread. The judges will give their normal points for the top 3 armies, which get added to your points total, and the top army will WIN a large custom-made piece of terrain for their specific army, from lilljonas of https://www.muraminiatures.com The winner will decided by the points total, tiebreaks to be decided by number of 1st, 2nd & 3rd place votes.

Alternate Universe Oath prize
Anyone who completes an Alternate Universe additional oath will have a chance to win a $25 gift certificate from the online retailer of your choice, courtesy of goon Zhent!

Organizer’s and Judge’s Prizes
Yes, the organizers are not only donating their time to the efforts of the thread, but they’re also throwing prizes into the mix! They might have their own way of determining who wins their prizes, so read below carefully to enter properly!

Returning from last year’s Save Da Whales campaign, Leperflesh is back with a way to win a selection of old models! Here’s his criteria in his own words:
So to be clear about how this works:
1. Post a WIP. Do so in the official manner according to all rules and regulations.
2. Fail to complete your oath. This happens a lot. I do it a lot. gently caress!
3. In some following month, post a new WIP of your failed oath along with the bolded statement ‘I’m gonna Save Da Whales!’ This new WIP must follow all rules and regulations, except of course that it can be in any stage of completion. E.g., your half-finished models. Please also helpfully include a link to the original oath you made so we can easily confirm you're re-oathing your entire failed oath.
4. By the end of that month, finish your models and post final pictures.

This would qualify you for one entry into my drawing. It does not count as a points-earning oath, however. If you want to earn points, qualify for judging, qualify for any of the other fabulous prizes, etc., you still need to also make a regular Oath for that month, according to all of the rules as usual.

The intention is to encourage you to finish your failed oaths! The reward will be very nice!

I will give you a choice of either a fabulous package of old miniatures from Times Gone Bye; go back in time and space to rescue these forgotten figures! OR if my package, which you will get to look at pictures of in detail (hurr), does not excite you, then you will get a Gift Certificate to any online retailer of your choice, provided that retailer allows me to buy you a gift certificate. So this is a win/win situation!

I hope there won't be many entries because we all finish our oaths. And of course, failing your oaths on purpose would be counterproductive because you wouldn't be earning points or qualifying for all the much more numerous other prize packages! But, if you are like me (e.g., LAZY) and do constantly fail oaths, well, here's some motivation to get them done.
For you conversion fanatics, Manifest will be sponsoring a prize for the best conversion job every quarter! Here are his rules: All you have to do is post pictures of your converted model BEFORE and AFTER you have finished converting. Work-in-progress photos would be even better! Make sure you are properly entered into this mini-competition by saying This is an entry to Manifests's conversion contest!

ineptmule’s theme prize: Every two months there will be a random draw from qualifying oaths. The lucky winner will receive £25 / $38.50 / €29.50 / AU$36.50 / CA$39.00 worth of models.

How do you qualify for this, you ask? Simple. For each oath you make that contains a group of models painted and/or converted to follow a theme you will get an entry into a bi-monthly draw. This means that if both of your oaths for a two-month period qualify you will double your chances of winning this prize! You will be ineligible for winning this again in the draw following a win, but will be able to thereafter.

The basic rule for this: The models should look like they belong together! Examples might include:
  • Members of a Blood Bowl or Dreadball team
  • A group of veteran warriors who have been fighting together for years
  • A lowlife criminal gang who barely trust each other more than their enemies
  • A cunning leader and their underlings
  • A black ops team operating with dubious legality behind enemy lines
  • A wizard and his menagerie of magical beasts / mechanickal creations / hapless lackeys

Here are some examples that would qualify:
WhiteOutMouse's 'Grey Knights': This is great because it's a really strong group of guys on foot, along with their transport that fits right in.

SRM's Valhallans: Again, this ties infantry and vehicles together brilliantly.

Buffalo Squeeze's marauders: These guys are one model short of qualifying for their scale, but I had to include them because of the small conversions to make them all blind/eyeless. That's a brilliant example of tying them together. Indeed features like that could make a group qualify even if they didn't have such a unified colour scheme or be such similar models!

Bachtere's trolls: This is a GREAT example. There are some quite different-looking models in this team but the paintjob has tied them all together. Having a weird tree dude involved might usually seem like it doesn't belong but he's very cleverly been incorporated.

Minimum qualifying number for different scales:
<15mm - 10 models
15-25mm - 8 models
28mm - 5 models
large, 28mm and upwards - 3 models

Should you be lucky enough to win this prize, it is strongly encouraged that you use it to get more models to join the group that you won with... but not mandatory!

---
Krushgroove’s Terrain Prize
How are you doing for terrain? Need more? We ALWAYS need more! And krushgroove is here to help! As part of the Quarterly Prize Draw, krushgroove will make a custom, handmade piece of terrain and send it straight to you! All you have to do to enter is do any Detektuv’s Jurnal bonus point challenge for the month we’re holding the Quarterly Prize Draw, and if you’re chosen you’ll be contacted by krushgroove. You’ll be able to choose the basic style of terrain you want, up to 4x8” (approximately) in area size - or let him choose for you!
---
Bachtere Paints You A Thing Prize
What about those of you looking for an awesome, custom-painted human-size figure, from the winner of last year’s Oath Thread? Judge Bachtere is looking to send one Quarterly Prize Draw winner exactly that - all you have to do is complete the Detektuv’s Jurnal bonus point challenge for every month in a quarter, and you’ll be eligible for his Quarterly Prize Draw!

GRAND PRIZES
Like before, the top 9 oath thread participants will choose from among the plethora of prizes that have been donated by our generous sponsors. The first to pick will be the person with the highest points total, then second place, third and so on, until all the prizes are gone! The 10th person doesn’t have to pick a thing - you will get a Zombicide Episode 2 board game set, and so will everyone else in the top 10, courtesy of Cool Mini or Not!

Here are the Grand Prizes we have arranged:

CoolMiniorNot
: TEN Zombidice Episode 2 board game sets - one for EVERY Grand Prize winner! $900 value

Badger Minitaire Paints
: a complete set of Minitaire paints! $275/£220 value
AND
Badger: a starter set of Minitaire paints PLUS a full set of Ghost Tint paints! $60/£75 value

Hawk Wargames
a Dropzone commander starter set and rulebook worth over $140/£120

Wayland Games
: online gift vouchers worth $100/£75, usable anywhere in the world!

KR Multicase
two card cases - one KRH with N4 foam and one KRM with F3H foam - enough to carry a good-sized army, worth $90/£70! Soft foam for figures, hard cases for soft foam!

goon Tadhg: one GW starter set box of your choice! (unpainted) approx $120/£100 value
goon krushgroove: one iwata MP-H2 single action airbrush $130/£125 value
goon Arlaharen: $75 towards the prize of your choice!

Special Grand Prizes
sub-25mm army painters

Mura Miniatures

goon lilljonas of Mura Miniatures
mega-grab bag donated by your fellow oathers!

How the Prize Draws Will Work
Just like last year, all the points earned from every participant will be tracked in publicly available spreadsheets (Google Docs online). This year, Leperflesh will handle the points tallying duties. You’re encouraged to check how many points you have at any time, and pipe up if you think you are missing points.

Every time there is a prize draw, Leperflesh will sort the participants by those who have scored, in alphabetical order. Then those participants will be given a sequential number starting with 1, and on the random dice roll site http://orokos.com Leperflesh will make a logged, verifiable roll that will be clearly labelled and can only ever be rolled once. That roll is the final result for whatever prize is being drawn. There is no way to manipulate the roll, anyone can access the scoring spreadsheets at any time, and even the links to the rolls will be available in the spreadsheets.

Why go through all this trouble? We want the scores and random draws to be verifiable and completely transparent so there are no issues that crop up.

Contributors Will be Earning Points and Entering Prize Draws
We also want to be clear and up front that the organizers and contributors will be earning points along with the rest of you. After all, the reason they’re doing this is to get inspiration to paint! Not everyone will be eligible for prizes, however: the three judges, along with krushgroove (the lead organizer) and Leperflesh (the recordkeeper) have recused themselves from any prize draws - although they will still earn points for their painting efforts. Leperflesh will skip over the ineligible organizers and judges when he does the random prize draw rolls.

Prize Maximums
We will be limiting how many times a single participant can win the random prizes, as follows:
1. Maximum random prizes: When random prizes are drawn for month, bi-month, and quarterly prizes, you can only win one prize. If you are randomly selected to win more than one prize, Leperflesh will let you pick which one you want; additional prize(s) are then re-rolled and awarded to another goon. For example, if you win both the Dragon Forge and the Corvus Belli monthly prize givaway, you'd get to pick which prize you want and the other is re-rolled.

2. Maximum recurring prizes: If you win the same prize in two different terms (months, bi-months, quarters), it will be re-rolled and awarded to a different goon. For example, if you win the Springer-Pinsel Kolinsky Brush givaway one week in June, and then again in August, the August win is voided and rerolled for someone else. As another example, you can't win the Bi-Monthly Themed Group prize more than once, even if you make lots of themed groups. You can only win Bachtere Paints you a Thing once.

3. These rules do not apply to: prizes won through judging, one-time prizes, and prizes which are in different categories. For example, you could win Manifest's Best Conversion twice, because judging conversions is up to Manifest so it's up to him to pick whoever he wants. You could win a Springer-Pinsel Kolinsky Brush in June, and a Corvus Belli miniature in July, and you'd get to have both. You could win one of the Grand Prizes by placing in the top 10 for points, and also win one of the End of Season Prizes. You could win the special prize for Diorama, and also win the special prize for Display Board, because the winners are selected by the judges.

Now for the cheesy 'thank you' section...
I want to officially thank the goons who helped sort out the rules over the past few weeks:
Schmetterling had a lot to say about making the rules easier for skirmish gamers, which we expanded to make them friendlier to small-scale gamers as well (we hope)
Leperflesh and Thiswayliesmadness provided a lot of feedback based on the past threads, which helped us keep a good sense of continuity.
Leperflesh, Schmetterling, Manifest and Ineptmule all took their turns with the rules and providing feedback on many varied points of contention.
Ineptmule came up with the original idea for a noir-style ork detective, then Schmetterling came up with the universe-hopping idea, which turned into Mr. Green traveling through space and time. Ineptmule and I came up with the general storyline, with SRM showing us what our plucky Mr. Green looks like! What's in store for Mr. Green in the coming year? Well, you'll just have to find out!
Thiswayliesmadness hooked us up with all of the returning sponsors, Schmetterling gave us some very good leads (CMoN being one of them!) and we've got responses from others that we hope will be adding to the prize pool.
Manifest and Leperflesh are helping out sending prizes to winners over the next 12 months, with Thiswayliesmadness still sending out a couple - many of you won't realize this but this poor goon spent his own money mailing stuff around the world! I myself have tried to mitigate how much spending we have to do by getting what prizes I can sent directly to the various winners, but we still have to cover much of these costs ourselves.
I also want to thank the many goons who've sent us their models, bitz & books, and the others who've sent or pledged gift certificates for the participants - it really is great to see this all come together thanks to goon generosity (goonerosity?)!

I just wanted to thank all of these guys for putting up with my many many emails over the past month or so! This is a big task and it would have been much much harder without you all!

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 7, 2013

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
OK so those are the rules!

Yes, there are a LOT of them. But it's no more complicated than last year. There's a couple of extra mini-competitions and a few extra prize draws (like for first-time oathers) but for the most part you don't have to do anything extra to get into the competitions. For a couple of them you'll have to clearly say one thing or another when you make your initial post or when you post your completed picture, but if you forget just shout up and let a member of staff know.

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS JUST ASK. This is a friendly thread and all are welcome. With the numbers of people we're expecting we'll have lots of people and lots of different points of view coming in, which is why the rules can seem wordy - we didn't want to leave anything ambiguous or mysterious. Everything should be pretty clear.

IF THE RULES ARE CONFUSING JUST RE-READ THEM. Like I said, there's a LOT of rules, and it can be easy to get lost if you skip around or have something else on your mind. If you're a little lost, just come back later and re-read them. There's no rush to get anything oathed right away, so look at the oaths other people are doing and have a look at the rules again.

Leperflesh posted:

Hi everyone! :frogsiren:Please read this important post!:frogsiren:

My name is Leperflesh and this year I am in charge of the master spreadsheet. It is a big and complicated spreadsheet with lots of columns and colors and stuff.

After you oath, please LOOK AT THE SPREADSHEET. In particular, you should look at the following:

-Goon Master List tab. Your name should appear here. Right now they're in the order they appear in the oath thread, but I will periodically sort this table. If you're not here, I haven't caught up to your oath yet. If you see someone who oathed after you, but you're still not here, I missed you!

-May 2013 tab. This is where I track all the oaths for May. Please look at all the column names. You will see some stuff! Maybe some of it applies to you. Like, did you do a conversion? Did you terrain? Did you get points for the things you did? Were you picked by a judge? I add your oath to the monthly sheet when I first see it. I give you a point for Valid Oath after sole.sushi posts a link to your oath and says it's valid. You may see I am also tracking brands, scale, and qualifiers for stuff. If you think you qualify for something, but I didn't include it, please let me know! If I got the scale wrong, or the brand, let me know!

-One Time Bonuses tab. Everything you can do once (and only once) to get points should be here. So far I've just been tracking "Aww, a Baby!". If you're a first-time Oather and you don't have a point and a link here, you forgot to tell me in your oath! You need to let me know.

-Totals tab. The data on this tab is calculated. In other words I don't actually add anything here. Everything is referenced from another sheet. This means you can check your total number of points at any time! So far you should either have 0 (if your oath hasn't been validated), 1 (if it has), or 2 (if you're a Baby and also had your oath validated). If you have the wrong amount of points, uh oh! Better let me know so I can figure it out!

-All the other tabs: you might want to poke around and see what else I have here. I think I have all of the prizes tracked somewhere. If you are confused by the big giant walls of text in the OPs, maybe this will be another way to notice all the cool things you can win.

All column headers are color-coded. For example, columns for links are headed in dark blue; columns for information that qualifies you for certain drawings (but not points) are orange; columns where points are accumulated are a light teal; columns where prizes are randomly awarded to qualifying goons are in purple, and so on.

I will periodically sort the data so that goons are in alphabetical order. I think I can do this without disrupting my cross-sheet links and calculated cells. If I add you after sorting, but before I sort again, you might be down at the bottom of the list instead of in with the sorted names, so always check the bottom if you don't see your name.

You can contact me in this thread, via PMs, or via email (my username at gmail dot com).

THANKS FOR READING THIS IMPORTANT STUFF.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 08:46 on May 3, 2013

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Now it’s time for the first month’s Detektuv’s Jurnal!

1. Firz ting da do was ‘av another drink. Me bottle of Mad Ork ‘ad spilled out on da floor so I opened me desk and fumbled about for a half-empty bottle of Fungus. Wiv a couple of dozen shots in me I could look around for me trusty stubba.

2. Me gun made a krunchin sound as I slid in me clip. Not a good sign. Dis was a gun wot surved me since my yoof days, fightin' for Mork or Gork out dere in da desert. Sum dayz I nevver 'ad ta use my weapon... Da uvvers were much more fun.

3. Last, I put me 'at on me 'ead. Dis was one part of da kostume dat was not negotiable. Full ov 'oles, dis 'at were my lucky charm froo all dose years of gangbangin' for Gork or Mork. Def'nitely not leaving 'ome without it.

Time to get movin. Da klient was likely not da most patient of wimmin...

We’re starting it off simple to get people warmed up! All you have to do this month is to take at least 3 Work In Progress pictures over the course of painting your oathed model. The pictures have to be of the actual models you oathed. Please show all of the models you've oathed - at least half are required to earn the points. Timestamps are not required.

There is no opportunity this month to do a different Detektuv’s Jurnal - that opens up next month!

Remember that each judge will give a single extra point to someone who’s properly completed each month’s Detektuv’s Jurnal and done the best job with it - so this is an ideal opportunity to start getting a lead in the points!

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 10, 2013

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Obligatory "what if the thing I'm painting doesn't have a base do I still get bonus points" post.

FoulWeatherFriend
Apr 10, 2006

Huh, okay...
Oathing a half-assembled model is a no-go this time around?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Dagon posted:

Obligatory "what if the thing I'm painting doesn't have a base do I still get bonus points" post.

We've already covered that :)

quote:

Vehicles, models on a clear flying base, terrain, and most models without any kind of base will get this point for FREE. If you’re worried, just ask when you make your Oath post and we’ll reassure you that it’s fine.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Khadhul posted:

Oathing a half-assembled model is a no-go this time around?

I've updated 2a in the 'How to Properly Make an Oath' section to include partly assembled models. So if you've magnetized some bits or put some of it together there's no reason it shouldn't be eligible.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hooray!

Hi everyone, my name is Leperflesh and this year I'll be tallying up people's points. I love me some spreadsheets! I'm also redoing the Whales prize, for the third year, so you can still re-oath your failed oaths and maybe get a thing.

Are you excited? I'm super excited! I can't believe the amazing prize support we've already got this year.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
drat, look at those new OPs :qq:

As a judge of last year's oath thread I am looking forward to what comes from this year. Good luck to everyone (including you judges.. poo poo isn't easy!)!

FoulWeatherFriend
Apr 10, 2006

Huh, okay...

krushgroove posted:

I've updated 2a in the 'How to Properly Make an Oath' section to include partly assembled models. So if you've magnetized some bits or put some of it together there's no reason it shouldn't be eligible.

:buddy:

:siren: I Khadhul, for the month of May, Oath to paint one Stormblade Superheavy tank

I can put up the picture at full size if necessary, in case you can't read the text on the screen.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Talk about starting the oaths big.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
:siren: I, TheBlobThing, oath to paint 3 Death Korps of Krieg platoon command squad guardsmen for the month of May! :siren:
Edit: My models are from the Forgeworld branch of Games Workshop!

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 1, 2013

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Lookin' like it's going to be a great year. Time to buy some more batteries for the camera!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Khadhul posted:

:buddy:

:siren: I Khadhul, for the month of May, Oath to paint one Stormblade Superheavy tank

I can put up the picture at full size if necessary, in case you can't read the text on the screen.
No body parts allowed in the picture. Re-take it and re-submit.

HURRY BEFORE SOMEONE ELSE GETS THE PRIZE FOR THE FIRST APPROVED PICTURE!

nah, just kidding - Sole.Sushi is the final word for APs

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I thought I was out after the last year, but after seeing all that, maybe not.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
I, Pash, oath that I will paint 5 Foundry Men at Arms (being used as Warhammer Battle Pilgrims) and 1 GW Bretonnian Knight of the Realm for the month of May!

First time Oather so...
Awwww! a BABY! First-time oathing? You get a point!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

If I understand it correctly, the Alternate Universe Oath is the ideal way for me to work on large projects that I can't finish in a single month. Like I could oath a complicated conversion project now, and as long as I complete it by next April, it's good? I am following that correctly? It wouldn't count for points and prizes this month, though.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
That's one hell of an OP, krushgroove! I'm excited! :dance:

To start this year,

:hist101:I Tadhg, swear a fell Oath of Ten Glade Guard, One Spellsinger, and One Necron Lord:hist101:

These models are from the :rodimus:Games Workshop:rodimus: Warhammer Fantasy Wood Elves and Warhammer 40k Necrons line.

e: Edited in the model line at request of krushgroove.

Tadhg fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 1, 2013

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Man the format has changed drastically since that first year of oaths :psyduck:

Am I right in saying that there's no longer any requirement for picking your oath from a set category, I.e. this month is fast attack for 40k etc.. So I can just oath anything?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Absolutely right Enri, that was part of opening up the contest to models outside of GW.

And here is my first oath!

:siren: ineptmule oaths three Fire Warriors, one Stealth Suit, one Shield Drone and two Kroot! :siren:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Awesome... Thanks for confirming :D oath coming up shortly...

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

I have a quick question, for the Speed Painting bonus does that have to be for the entire oath, or can you do the speed painting bonus for one model in the oath? For instance if I am painting several models so as to meed the squad requirements can I choose one of those models and do the speed painting bonus for it?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Ashcans posted:

If I understand it correctly, the Alternate Universe Oath is the ideal way for me to work on large projects that I can't finish in a single month. Like I could oath a complicated conversion project now, and as long as I complete it by next April, it's good? I am following that correctly? It wouldn't count for points and prizes this month, though.
Well the Alternate Universe oath addition was originally meant to be just for adding to your oath...but because it doesn't affect the points and is only eligible for one random draw at the end of the season, off the top of my head I see no reason why it can't be applied to any model, especially if someone's coming in for the first time and wants to try out the thread with no pressure (that can change the dynamic of how the thread is used for people that do that, but there's no effect on anyone's point totals). Dioramas and display boards will surely take most people over a month to complete and those have a single prize draw at the end of the year, just like the Alternate Universe addition.

I'll have a word with the other folks who helped draft up the rules and let you know for certain, so hold off oathing your big project just yet.

Tadhg posted:

That's one hell of an OP, krushgroove! I'm excited! :dance:

Go big or go home! :)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Pash posted:

I have a quick question, for the Speed Painting bonus does that have to be for the entire oath, or can you do the speed painting bonus for one model in the oath? For instance if I am painting several models so as to meed the squad requirements can I choose one of those models and do the speed painting bonus for it?

(I love that this is already answered in the rules) the rule for that one-time bonus states that it is for one model only. I guess to challenge yourself you can do a whole unit/squad/whatever, but it's intended for one model.

e: just so people are aware, the one-time bonuses are meant to be just fun thing to do and try, you don't have to cram them all in during one oath or month or whatever - do them if you want, or not. Just have fun. We kept them all at 1 point each so they don't have a big effect on the final scores, but if you're really keen on getting into the top 10 (for the Grand Prizes) you can do them all relatively easily, spread out during the season.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 1, 2013

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Oops. I guess I suck at reading. Definitely going to do that one though as I generally like to do most of a model in one sitting if I can.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ashcans posted:

You are correct. You can of course do more than one, but each goon who completes one or more Alternate Universe oath, gets one and only one entry in a prize drawing specifically for the alternate universe oaths. And you can start them at any time and finish them at any time before the end of next April.

e. Just saw krushedgroove's response. The above is how I interpreted the rule; unless the other organizers disagree strongly, I think this is how we'll treat it going forward.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

I, Dagon, Oath "Bergil," "Hassle," "Freak," and "Demon" from Hasslefree miniatures.

Thanks for autofocusing on the box, camera. Hope this counts.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Ashcans posted:

Leperflesh posted:

You are correct. You can of course do more than one, but each goon who completes one or more Alternate Universe oath, gets one and only one entry in a prize drawing specifically for the alternate universe oaths. And you can start them at any time and finish them at any time before the end of next April.

e. Just saw krushedgroove's response. The above is how I interpreted the rule; unless the other organizers disagree strongly, I think this is how we'll treat it going forward.

OK, just added this to the OP to make it clear there are TWO different ways you can make your main oath. The Alternate Universe Oath uses the same method to declare your oath as a normal oath, and follows the same rules as the Alternate Universe oath addition that are already in the OP.

quote:

Alternate Universe Oaths
What if you want to just test the waters and see how this oath thing works for you? Or what if you're working on a huge model or project that you think will take longer than a calendar month? Well that's where you can slip into an alternate universe, just like our detektuv Mr. Green!

To make an Alternate Universe Oath, just follow the same steps as above but clearly state that you are making an Alternate Universe Oath.

The rules for Alternate Universe Oaths is in the section for oath additions, see the 2. Alternate Universe style bit.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Tadhg posted:

To start this year,

:hist101:I Tadhg, swear a fell Oath of Ten Glade Guard, One Spellsinger, and One Necron Lord!:hist101:

I missed this earlier, but can you edit your oath post with what model line the Glade Guard and Spellsinger models are from? We're working on getting prizes from individual companies specifically for anyone who completes an oath for the various model likes like GW, Infinity, Reaper, etc., so we're trying to get everyone to post what company/model line their oathed models are from.

Dagon posted:

I, Dagon, Oath "Bergil," "Hassle," "Freak," and "Demon" from Hasslefree miniatures.

Thanks for autofocusing on the box, camera. Hope this counts.

Same for you, we don't want anyone to miss out on possible prizes!

:siren:EVERYONE WHO OATHS FROM NOW ON:siren:
please see what I posted above to Tadhg - I don't want anyone to miss out on prizes so we're keeping track of the model lines everyone is painting each month. A completed oath for a particular model line could get you prizes! Adding the model line is in the instructions for making an oath but for the regular oathers it's an easy thing to miss. I'm pretty sure all the other models posted have been from Games Workshop, so I haven't quoted the other oaths.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 1, 2013

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

krushgroove posted:

Same for you, we don't want anyone to miss out on possible prizes!

Dagon posted:

[...]Hasslefree miniatures.

That works, right?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ha, I missed the 'from' bit entirely :) Cool, yeah you're covered!

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
I, Raphus C, Oath 5 Stormboyz, 2 Cyborks, 1 Runtherd and a Dethrolla. All are GW.

BrotherCaptain Quad
Mar 18, 2008

I'm looking for realistic fox heads and tails for my Space Wolves chapter, any links?
Coming out of lurking retirement to get back into the game.

I BrotherCaptain Quad hereby Oath 5 kitbashed Ork Big Gunz (all bits from GW)

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

krushgroove posted:

I missed this earlier, but can you edit your oath post with what model line the Glade Guard and Spellsinger models are from?

Done and done, boss! :v:

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

We find no vestige of a beginning,
no prospect of an end.
Going big to start off right:
I Oath 1 Skorne Mammoth for May
from Privateer Press

The head and arms are primed, the body and shoulderpads are bare until it stops snowing here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
So loving stoked for this, but I've already packed away my minis painting gear for the big move D: so I might have to miss May, or sneak in a VERY speedpainted one once we've finished.

Unless I can oath my flat, I can do that right? :P

• Locked thread