Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Martytoof posted:

I don't know what sort of terrible bugs that would introduce if the agent system had to pump water or electricity that much further. The electricity pumps just might not be up to it :(

Well, even if the pumps are strong enough, the electricity could still get confused and then lost on the way. Or stuck between two piles of poop and some water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Well, even if the pumps are strong enough, the electricity could still get confused and then lost on the way. Or stuck between two piles of poop and some water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRppqaanECA&t=14s

An actual Maxis planning meeting caught on tape

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Oh, so this is SimCity: Ron Paul Revolution Edition.

It's SimCity: Half-Assed Edition.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I've not once had this problem for more than an hour or two of in-game time.

Always run at a large excess and always purchase from neighbors even if you don't need to. As soon as you get the notice that you're buying from your neighbor, it's time to upgrade.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.

Broken Loose posted:

These aren't glitches, they're design flaws.

I guess what I meant is that the gameplay design is good. There's no doubt the technical design and implementation is an abortion. And that's what so disappointing about the game. The gameplay design is the hard part of making a good game, because it's not absolute and you don't know if you did it right until people actually play it. The technical side should be easy (for a relatively simple game like this anyway) because you know if it works or not. But somehow they hosed up the easy part.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Wasn't SimCity 4's traffic shitted up the wazoo until that NAT mod came out? And 3k had the doesn't matter where you plonk down school buildings, it's magic?
How did 3 and 4 handle Residences and Jobs anyway?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Croccers posted:

Wasn't SimCity 4's traffic shitted up the wazoo until that NAT mod came out? And 3k had the doesn't matter where you plonk down school buildings, it's magic?

SC4's traffic was pretty broken pre-NAM, but the game was totally playable without it. Your commute times were just really, really long.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Magnitogorsk. posted:

I guess what I meant is that the gameplay design is good. There's no doubt the technical design and implementation is an abortion. And that's what so disappointing about the game. The gameplay design is the hard part of making a good game, because it's not absolute and you don't know if you did it right until people actually play it. The technical side should be easy (for a relatively simple game like this anyway) because you know if it works or not. But somehow they hosed up the easy part.

I have to respectfully disagree. The "gameplay design" is established in the franchise. The technical implementation is everything -- how you choose to simplify and model complicated systems is the thing in simulation games. Sure, there are new features that were neat, but they're all predicated on the assumption that the agent system is providing a more accurate, deeper simulation.

I wouldn't have a problem with a deeper simulation if it were actually more accurate, but I'd much rather have a more surface-level simulation that actually works. I think that's where a lot of "nostalgia" for the earlier games comes in; a LOT of rough edges were knocked off and glossed over in the style of simulation they chose to use (heavily abstracted, aggregate data), but the end result was a BIG experience that you felt like you could actually control from the top level. In making the scale smaller, the tradeoff was supposed to be a more granular experience, but the low-level simulation doesn't work as well as the abstracted models, making it a pure sacrifice instead of a tradeoff. And that's a design failure.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Croccers posted:

SimCity 4's traffic was 'broken' in the sense that Sims would take the shortest route and not the fastest route, you know, the exact same thing SimCity 2013 sims do 9 years later.

I would also say its pretty bad loving design that Sims in SimCity 2013 make a beeline to the closest empty 'thing' that they're looking for.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I can't get over how this game cannot even begin to compare to Tropico 4. Tropico 4: Modern Times even had subways to alleviate traffic, and the "agents" in the game actually knew where the gently caress they were going.

Really, I could almost deal with everything else that's wrong with Simcity 2013 if the traffic modeling at least worked. There seems to be no chance of that getting fixed though.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I actually think that city specialization is a bad design choice for a city sim game, but they made a resource management game so nevermind.

F hole
May 13, 2008

Sardonik posted:

I can't get over how this game cannot even begin to compare to Tropico 4. Tropico 4: Modern Times even had subways to alleviate traffic, and the "agents" in the game actually knew where the gently caress they were going.

Really, I could almost deal with everything else that's wrong with Simcity 2013 if the traffic modeling at least worked. There seems to be no chance of that getting fixed though.

I loved tropico 4! I guess I'll get the Modern Times expansion instead if I start to crave playing a city building sim again. It's too bad that EA absolutely refuses to allow any kind of mod support.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Exactly, there have been absolute tons of enjoyment gleaned out of the previous thread, and I never spent one dime on it. :)

In all seriousness, the game to me stopped having even the potential for being fun when it was revealed that a lot of the problems people were having were not just results of sloppy code, but actual game design decisions and steps taken to make the game seem deeper than it actually was. Once I heard about how the game fudged the population numbers (so that the game will complain about unemployed Sims that don't even exist), I knew then that any fun to be gained from it was going to be fleeting at best.

Wow, I'd never heard of this. If this is true, then it's not just unconscionable, it's evil. Who the hell trolls their own customers like that? Andy Kaufmann as a killer gamemaster wouldn't be this cruel, would he?

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

http://www.twitch.tv/kuberous

This guy is a pretty cool streamer. His gimmick is going into abandoned cities and fixing them up. It's kind of like This Old House, but Sim City. Looks like he's just about to get started.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Air Julio posted:

This guy is a pretty cool streamer. His gimmick is going into abandoned cities and fixing them up. It's kind of like This Old House, but Sim City. Looks like he's just about to get started.

This is such a cool gimmick. Making the best out of a crappy game :)

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Magnitogorsk. posted:

There's no doubt the resource-related specializations need some balancing, but they were one of the most fun parts of the game for me (when it actually worked). If they hadn't hosed everything up so badly I think that's a concept that could have been expanded a lot in expansions/DLC

Resources in Sim City are a "press button, get money" contrivance. There's nothing at all interesting about Sim Cities implementation due to its incredible lack of depth. Also implementation is a design problem otherwise any fuckwit who could come up with good ideas would be Warren Spector.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Air Julio posted:

What was he just talking about with a criminal moving around? I walked in right at the end.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

KoRMaK posted:

What was he just talking about with a criminal moving around? I walked in right at the end.

If you bulldoze a building, the criminal inside will just move next door.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

So if there are multiple criminals in a complex that you bulldoze, will they conga-line to a new available space to occupy like some chain gang?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The game has a Nissan LEAF® charging station now?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, when I realized that I completely lost any and all interest in playing the game anymore forever.

Air Julio posted:

Kuberous on how to solve sims complaining about the state of the city.

"We need to make these [protesters] weak, maybe a little dizzy, you can't think straight when you're dizzy. Maybe even dead. I don't know if you've ever tried to negotiate with a dead person but... you'll generally find it pretty easy to get what you want."

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 3, 2013

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Why yes.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Smirr posted:

Why yes.

Please tell me that's a photoshop.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

DeclaredYuppie posted:

I saw it in that guy's stream. I was making pizza and he was talking about charging stations. I thought he was just talking about something dumb, then he talked about where to put them. Then I ran back to my TV and saw the stupid charging station in the game.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

DeclaredYuppie posted:

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

DeclaredYuppie posted:

It's not.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Magnitogorsk. posted:

The gameplay design is predicated on agents doing everything. Many of the significant problems with the game are due to agents not behaving and interacting in a way that is logical or fun. A few glitches with the agent system could be explained by technical design and implementation. However, multiple, game-breaking flaws with the agent system aren't just the result of bad implementation; they are a product of the original gameplay design. Perhaps a more competent team with more time and resources could have made this work-- but perhaps not. Designing a fully agent-based simulation that makes sense and is fun to play is apparently much more difficult than designing the non-agent-based sims that have preceded this one. The choice to design the game around glassbox and agents, whether informed by ignorance or hubris, is the real problem here.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Magnitogorsk. posted:

The user interface. Tying building density to road density instead of having to zone it seperately. Modular buildings. Elimination of tedious poo poo like power lines and pipes. City specializations. The infographic overlays. Sharing city resources with neighbors (if it actually worked, and if it was optional so you could play single player if you wanted). Collaborative great works. The overall user experience of building poo poo is actually fun and engaging.

You have terrible opinions on game design for a city simulator. Removing zoning density from a city simulation is a really, really terrible decision.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Smirr posted:

It's not.

I guess I should only be shocked they didn't figure out a way to include Nissan LEAF a couple more times there.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So I'm a gigantic Tropico fan. What, exactly, does this game have in common with that? I seem to recall it's ripped off Tropico's "see every individual in your city" mechanic, but it doesn't seem to have any actual goals or fun variables like instituting ridiculous propoganda about yourself or the like. Hell, I haven't even played a SIm City game since I was a kid. What has been keeping the franchise alive?

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Speedball posted:

What has been keeping the franchise alive?

Nothing.

This has been the first real SimCity title in a decade, and it sucks. Don't get it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

ExtraNoise, your new title is adorable.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

i81icu812 posted:

You have terrible opinions on game design for a city simulator. Removing zoning density from a city simulation is a really, really terrible decision.

I don't mind zoning being run through street density at all. Thats one of the few SC5 design decisions I really like. Different strokes and all I guess.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Well, not content with Steam making Simcity 4 Deluxe a daily download a few days ago, GOG has jumped into the fray with a 60% off classic EA games sale, which includes Simcity 2000 Special Edition (making its price $2.39). It's Windows- and Mac-compatible, although I think in both cases it's the DOS version running through DOSBox.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.

KnifeWrench posted:

I have to respectfully disagree. The "gameplay design" is established in the franchise. The technical implementation is everything -- how you choose to simplify and model complicated systems is the thing in simulation games. Sure, there are new features that were neat, but they're all predicated on the assumption that the agent system is providing a more accurate, deeper simulation.

I wouldn't have a problem with a deeper simulation if it were actually more accurate, but I'd much rather have a more surface-level simulation that actually works. I think that's where a lot of "nostalgia" for the earlier games comes in; a LOT of rough edges were knocked off and glossed over in the style of simulation they chose to use (heavily abstracted, aggregate data), but the end result was a BIG experience that you felt like you could actually control from the top level. In making the scale smaller, the tradeoff was supposed to be a more granular experience, but the low-level simulation doesn't work as well as the abstracted models, making it a pure sacrifice instead of a tradeoff. And that's a design failure.

I see your point if you're into the simulation aspects. Personally I just want a fun city builder and don't care how the simulation works.

i81icu812 posted:

I didn't say anything about removing zoning density, nor did they remove it from the game we're talking about :confused:

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

Resources in Sim City are a "press button, get money" contrivance. There's nothing at all interesting about Sim Cities implementation due to its incredible lack of depth. Also implementation is a design problem otherwise any fuckwit who could come up with good ideas would be Warren Spector.

If game design wasn't the hard part then every bedroom coder would be pumping out awesome games, and gaming wouldn't be such a hit or miss industry

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!

Magnitogorsk. posted:

If game design wasn't the hard part then every bedroom coder would be pumping out awesome games, and gaming wouldn't be such a hit or miss industry

It's not possible that marketing and distribution are the hard parts?

edit: I'd be more sympathetic to this argument if there wasn't a proven design formula that they abandoned because of...reasons. See also: Diablo 3.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

quote:

gaming wouldn't be such a hit or miss industry

Define hit or miss.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Most games don't make money or become popular, but a few become huge and make a shitload of money

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Magnitogorsk. posted:

I see your point if you're into the simulation aspects. Personally I just want a fun city builder and don't care how the simulation works.

I believe the point most people are trying to make (which I agree with), is that in order for a city builder to be fun it necessarily has to have good simulation. If all you want is to design cities... well I guess you could become an urban planner or use CAD or something? If you want a city building game, the simulation is part of the design.

Also, design is inexorably tied to production quality for any creative product that's going to eventually be used. Would you buy a designer sofa that looked amazing, but collapsed into a pile of stuffing and splinters as soon as you tried to sit on it? Or a book that used a beautiful, illustrative typeface that was completely unreadable? I'm sure there are a few people out there who might, but your average consumer is going to call foul.

e:

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Most games don't make money or become popular, but a few become huge and make a shitload of money

Lots of games make money. Sounds like your definition of a successful game = blockbuster AAA titles. There are slews of indie games that turn profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
I think the idea of "popular" has grown disproportionate over the years. There are plenty of small studios that make a decent profit and reach a decent audience.

ed

Sim City 2013 isn't even a good city builder.

• Locked thread