Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Sydney Bottocks posted:

an "always online" mode that can be disabled by commenting out two lines of code: truly, hallmarks of a well-designed game.

The game's poo poo, but changing a line of code that changes the behavior of a program isn't anything revolutionary. There are plenty of other ways to talk about the poor design of the game (underlying game logic and business rules).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

ChewyLSB posted:

Except the idea behind always online is that the game does most of its calculations on the server because our scrub machines can't handle the ~agent system~ but really all it is is a DRM check that the game does, making it a lie.

Hey cool, I agree that EA lied about it. But, it has dick-all to do with if the game is designed well or poorly.

Basically, it's stupid to quote "HEY GUYS SOMEONE ON REDDIT CHANGED A LINE OF CODE HOW BAD OF A GAME IS THIS".

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The "disable two lines of code for offline mode" is, to me, a pretty good example of just how poorly this game was both designed and implemented.

The game was pretty clearly designed from the ground up around the "need" for an "always online" mode. EA wanted it for various reasons (DRM, cash shop, and so on). Every subsequent decision about the game's design had to flow from that original decision to have an online mode. So I think that in many ways, the game's design is likely the root of many (if not all) of the various problems that were subsequently discovered (once they got past the initial (launch day servers fiasco", that is).

Could all of those problems have been avoided if the game was offline-only, or if the online mode was optional? I would say "no"; it's likely that there were always going to be various things that would have cropped up regardless of whether the game was online or not. But I do think that the "always online" requirement forced the developers to make certain design choices that they might not normally have made if they didn't have to keep a (completely unnecessary) online mode in mind.

To be sure, the technical implementation side of things also comes in for its' fair share of criticism. The fact that such a "crucial" feature like "always online" was poorly implemented by just writing a script that says "ping the servers and turn the game off if it doesn't respond after 20 minutes" is pretty indicative that a lot of the people who were coding stuff didn't really know what they were supposed to be doing (or just didn't give a poo poo). Now, whether that's down to the design team not communicating what they wanted properly, or the coding team not understanding what they were being asked to do, is a whole 'nother ball of wax.

No, it's not. It's a single point of implementing that check. Any sort of healthcheck should be in one place so that future development doesn't need to keep repeating the same thing over and over. Now, this is getting into generalizing code design, and I'd really really like to not do that.

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 2, 2013

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
It's loving stupid to talk poo poo about any previous employers, in any industry.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Rudager posted:

So hey, LoL is down for whatever reason, lets check this piece of poo poo out, oh sorry can't, the play button is greyed out for some reason?

EDIT: Restart Origin, still don't work, gently caress you too SimCity.

SimCity isn't actually a city building game. It's a game to see how many times it can trick you into thinking you'll get to play.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Bug fixes reintroducing other (potentially pre existing) bugs is a common enough thing in the software industry. Now, if you have suitable regression testing these issues are usually caught well in advance but we're talking about Sim City here...

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

eXXon posted:

I still think a few hundred thousand agents would be manageable with clever pathfinding (haha ha haaaaa), like pre-caching a few potential routes. That would be more true if there were properly functioning mass transit so you didn't need to have 50,000 cars on the road every rush hour.

We're still posting dumb posts like this in the thread? Yes, please keep saying how they just had to do this, this and this and you can't imagine WHY they didn't do that and the game would have been fine. I'm 100% sure your knowledge of the internal workings of the game surpasses every other technical leads that was, you know, actually involved in the development.

(This game sucks and I got burned by it just like a lot of people here, I'm not defending the game or anyone that worked on it)

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

KKKlean Energy posted:

The game's behaviour doesn't suggest it uses any pre-caching of routes, and eXXon is suggesting that maybe if it did, it would be better.

What is your problem with his post, again..?

xzzy posted:

Except for the part where pathfinding and the optimization thereof is one of the best studied topics in programming. The internet literally could not function without it. Anyone who's ever made a game has had to deal with it. Every single GPS on the planet uses it. Every introductory programming class that has you write a knight's tour has done some pathfinding work. This isn't one of those "lol it's a 5 minute fix to make this fundamental change to the system" armchair programmer deals. It's pathfinding and there are quite a lot of people out there who are qualified to comment on it.

Both of these posts assume that because we've seen the finished product, it makes us experts and knowledgable enough to critique that actual code base decisions that were made during development - it doesn't. Do we know how glassbox works? (You could argue they didn't either). Do we know why they didn't do that? To me it seems like they HAD to work within the confines of Glassbox which, ultimately, lead to this game's demise.

Also, his post was merely just the most recent one. See Boiled Water's post about backseat developing. The entire thread's been rife with it.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Third World Reggin posted:

This way brought up a long time ago but here is a game where they managed to get pathing to work, and have individual jobs and houses.

Banished

http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/

The game's not even out yet and we're already saying it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Let's be realistic here.

Also, agreed it looks more like a Anno/Tropico than a SimCity.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

xzzy posted:

Who said that?

It was hyperbole, but there's truth to it. We've seen videos of what this one guy has done and we're equating it to already being "better" than SimCity. It's the same attitude that gets us burned on so many games.

Shibawanko posted:

It was made by one guy who seems to be doing it for fun, so it's probably a work of love type of thing at least. The graphics also look great, nothing flashy, but just like a real old timey village. Looks good to me.

Game looks good to me too and I hope it is but I'd reserve judgment until there's a demo or people get their hands on it.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I didn't think it was possible for this thread to get any worse, but it did. Great job goons :thumbsup:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

kedo posted:

http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/?p=1724

:downs: SimCity is good game. Triple A+++ quality.

Oh man, this is so rich in this thread. :allears:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Game burned me just like it burned a lot of people but it's safe to say it's a good looking game. This is definitely subjective, but I'd find it hard to say it's ugly.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

WeaponBoy posted:

What happened to all those people cracking the game to let them do stuff outside of city limits? I remember all the screenshots of new highways and such, but did they ever get anwyhere or did they just get bored and/or banned?

Bored and realized the game wasn't worth fixing (if at all possible).

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

A Rabid Llama posted:

I hadn't heard the Java/C++ split thing before, thanks for mentioning it. That would definitely explain some of the difficulty in "porting" the game to offline. I imagine they also wanted to avoid simply shipping the server code to clients, since that would make it trivial for someone to set up a "gray shard" and run their own service, with all the benefits of online but none of the ad revenue for Origin.

I'd assume that things actually just took this long to fix as opposed to the devs lying about it. As for why it took them till August to start working on it, it makes sense that bug fixes to the core game took precedence over new features like offline mode. It's not like there was a shortage of serious bugs to fix, after all.

You should read the announcement where they talk about all of this. I understand it's fun to poo poo on the game (because it is fun and the game is poo poo) and there are no redeeming qualities to this whole experience but come on already. It just makes the whole "WHY DONT THEY JUST REMOVE TWO LINES OF CODE AND SHIP IT" sound really really dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

A Rabid Llama posted:

Ah, I skimmed the announcement before and didn't notice them mentioning Java/C++ specifically - didn't mean to come off as sarcastic. I'm confused if you somehow took the rest of my post to be "making GBS threads on" them, though, I meant it to be pretty objective.

Sorry, your post was just the straw the broke the camel's back on people saying dumb things about this (dumb) game. I agree with the rest of your post.

• Locked thread