Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Doh004 posted:

The game's poo poo, but changing a line of code that changes the behavior of a program isn't anything revolutionary. There are plenty of other ways to talk about the poor design of the game (underlying game logic and business rules).

Except the idea behind always online is that the game does most of its calculations on the server because our scrub machines can't handle the ~agent system~ but really all it is is a DRM check that the game does, making it a lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Croccers posted:

Wasn't SimCity 4's traffic shitted up the wazoo until that NAT mod came out? And 3k had the doesn't matter where you plonk down school buildings, it's magic?
How did 3 and 4 handle Residences and Jobs anyway?

SimCity 4's traffic was 'broken' in the sense that Sims would take the shortest route and not the fastest route, you know, the exact same thing SimCity 2013 sims do 9 years later.

I would also say its pretty bad loving design that Sims in SimCity 2013 make a beeline to the closest empty 'thing' that they're looking for.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

WeaponBoy posted:

e:

You mean almost exactly what is also in the Steam license agreement?

It's one thing to poo poo on SimCity or Origin, but don't act like this is unique.

I must've glossed over the part of his post where he was saying that Steam is great because he doesn't have it in his post because it would be silly if you just pulled this out of your rear end for no reason!

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

less than three posted:

Yeah, that game is coded so well. My Pentium 75 with 7MB usable RAM played it fine.

That engine had an interesting life. It started out simulating trains and stuff for Transport Tycoon and did it well, later adapted to become RCT. That went fine too. He then tried to adapt it back to do trains again and it failed miserably.

Unfortunately it seems he's going to try the trains using RCT engine idea again. I am not optimistic about it.

edit: It looks like it's out already: http://www.transporttycoon.com/

"the definitive version of the simulation classic" is kind of a lie, as it uses the later years RCT/Locomotion engine that everyone said was fine for rollercoasters but terrible for trains, not the original TT engine that was fantastic for trains.

... am I crazy or does this not look too bad? I didn't realize it was already out. I actually didn't think Locomotion was as bad as everyone thought it was, so maybe I am crazy...

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

steinrokkan posted:

Not so much when this is the entire region:

I've been harping on this for loving ever but why didn't they just make all the cities in the regions adjacent to each other? That would at least make them more visually pleasant.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

ExtraNoise posted:

Since they are dead-set on keeping cities tiny, why didn't they just mimic SimCity 4's region/city handling?

The region view is basically as it is now, where you can see a map divided into little squares. You can't zoom too close, but that's okay, because you're not managing a city out here.

Click on a square to zoom into that city, exactly as it is in the game now. Except when you get there, it's just the patch of land you selected. Not your city with a bunch of dumb cityislands in the distance and crappy-looking mountains. Just a square plot of land and an abrupt edge. They did it with the region view and no one freaked out. Why couldn't the cities be the same way?

This would allow you to have small cities directly adjacent to each other. In a lot of ways, you'd be creating a metro region where each "city" is really a neighborhood or district of a greater city. Together, even with small city plots, you could create large cities.

But, nope. They got all frustrated when they couldn't problem solve how to do transit connections between players in real time (because it just had to be multiplayer) and said "gently caress it" and released a crappy broken game.

Note that I didn't buy SimCity but I think the reason that they didn't do the abrupt edges thing was because of the seamless zooming in and zooming out of your city. It would look weird if you zoomed in and then abruptly cut off. I know they could've done it a different way but I think having that seamless in out would've been very cool.

I think the real issue is the fact that the cities in the background look like poo poo. I'm sure that could've been avoided.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
I guess the point is saying a game is 'Not a total piece of poo poo' and then saying 'yeah I played the poo poo out of it' is really loving dumb when there's a million actually good games you can be playing so why settle for mediocrity.

Unless you're trying to justify spending 60 dollars and then another 40 you threw at them to reward them for making a lovely-mediocre game I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

oswald ownenstein posted:

-The game is graphically gorgeous and even the most fervent SC haters usually don't dispute this (except here it seems).

Gorgeous.

oswald ownenstein posted:

Also SC4 was broken as poo poo until Rush Hour, and even then traffic pathing was horrendous and you had to force people to take highways by preventing access through lesser roads.

Idiots bring up this argument all the time as though it justifies SimCity being lovely. First off, Vanilla SC4 is nowhere near as bad as SimCity is. Second off, you fail to recognize that SimCity had 9 years of hindsight to fix everything but failed to.

• Locked thread