Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Fudging population numbers and an "always online" mode that can be disabled by commenting out two lines of code: truly, hallmarks of a well-designed game.

No no no, see that's just implementation, so is the entire decoupling of I from the RCI system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

Magnitogorsk. posted:

If game design wasn't the hard part then every bedroom coder would be pumping out awesome games, and gaming wouldn't be such a hit or miss industry

It's not possible that marketing and distribution are the hard parts?

edit: I'd be more sympathetic to this argument if there wasn't a proven design formula that they abandoned because of...reasons. See also: Diablo 3.

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'll fully admit I was expecting a shallow, but still somewhat playable game that would be enhanced by DLC. I figured we would have a solid core from which the game could be built upon, and that over time I would've purchased DLC to add more content over time. Something like an enhanced traffic pack would've been golden for me.

I agree, buying half-complete games in the hopes that I can pay at least the price of the game over again to get a complete game, seems like a good thing to encourage. Somewhat-playable is the standard to shoot for.

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

OatmealRaisin posted:

This mentality blows my mind. They make bad games, they didn't kill your dog.

They're a terrible company (relative to the games industry, I mean) and it's so easy nowadays to avoid them completely. Speaking with your wallet really is a thing.

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

Here disgruntled employee number seven, have this cool exposure opportunity so you don't flee this sinking ship, and so your friends stop making fun of you for parts of the game you didn't gently caress up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

EA posted:

• Re-Enabled Feature: Global Market prices now dynamically change during gameplay.
• Re-Enabled Feature: Leaderboards will be active on EU West 3, Pacific 1 and Pacific 2 at the release. We will enable them on additional servers throughout the day.
• Re-Enabled Feature: Region filters are now enabled on all SimCity servers. Players will be able to search for open games by Map Name, Sandbox Mode, and Abandoned Cities.

Read: enough people have quit playing this game that we could turn some things back on.

• Locked thread