Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Beamed posted:

Back to the best Simcity then: 3000 Millenium Edition.

That's right, cue the haters :colbert:

God I want that on Steam or GoG. I think I've spent more time on that one than I have on any other SC game. It's so much fun to just stare at it for a while, and the region stuff is a lot less involved than 4's/this unholy abominations region systems are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

KnifeWrench posted:

Do EA games even make it to Steam anymore?

Some do, some don't. Crysis 2 is on, the Sims stuff is on, I think, but it's missing games like Battlefield 3 and Mass Effect 3. It's kind of a crapshoot.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Kins posted:

If you mean Sales Tax, then Steam actually does charge this if you're in Washington State, since that's where their offices are based.

EA seems to do it everywhere, and it doesn't always match up to the state sales tax, since it was the same when I bought stuff in NY and MA.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

No Safe Word posted:

It depends on if they have an actual physical place-of-business within your state, typically. Like I get charged sales tax from Amazon now because they opened up a big distribution center in my state. I didn't used to have that charge until then.

Yeah, but having the same tax percent with billing addresses in two different states made me wonder what exactly was going on with that. MA and NY have different sales taxes. Then again NY varies by region, so maybe they just had an office somewhere in NY where it's also 6.25 percent.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Toady posted:

I thought The Sims was very impressive and novel.

Yeah, people forget it now because it's been run into the ground with 10 years of sequels and expansion packs, but when it was new The Sims was pretty incredible and pretty drat innovative. It really tapped into the SimCity sort of feel where you'd get really invested in your little virtual people/city.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Oh, the humanity.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

SimCity confirmed to be set in Fringe's B Universe.

Walternate would have just ambered any city that started, since apparently the tears in reality have made everyone batshit stupid.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

triplexpac posted:

Update 7 Traffic changes: http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/simcity-traffic-tuning

I couldn't get further than this image without laughing too hard to continue

Only took 7 updates!

That's an image released by the team? How could they have even let that insane original path get past the alpha stage? Did no one look at it and go "This poo poo is busted"? Why am I asking questions I already know the answer to?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

xzzy posted:

It's still pretty bad, but the next update might make it an actual playable game. Too little too late, but we'll see.

You could go through both threads and probably find this exact sentiment for each patch. I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Paul.Power posted:

Heck, look at SimTower - cheerfully capable of handling thousands of individual, moderately intelligent agents. And it's a 19-year-old game.

I would kill for a modern SimTower. Just make it 3D so I have some more stuff I can put in each floor, really, and it'd be golden.

I would probably end up playing it non-stop for like six weeks, though, so maybe it's for the best they haven't done that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ExtraNoise posted:

Have you seen what this guy is doing? It looks pretty promising, even if it's isometric.

Well, poo poo. So much for ever getting anything done ever.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ChewyLSB posted:

I've been harping on this for loving ever but why didn't they just make all the cities in the regions adjacent to each other? That would at least make them more visually pleasant.

Yeah, a built up SC4 region looks way, way more natural because of the adjacent regions. It's so much fun working on a region because of it, too, since you can watch everything slowly expand over the map.

God drat I love SC4.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Reason posted:

I really feel like regions should be the city size, I don't understand how you could make a new increment in a game series and have the game world be smaller. Thats just stupid in so many ways.

It worked well having them broken into cities in SC4 because they all ran on separate funds, which let you tweak the taxes to what you wanted in the city separately, and it made connections feel really valuable. Ports especially, even if I'm not too clear what sea/air ports did.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DrManiac posted:

Plus with steam they usually give you a small discount and some extras for doing so.

Greenmangaming has a pretty good discount setup on pre-orders. I'm usually pretty wary of untested products, but getting a game on release day for 25-30 dollars is a pretty good setup if I was gonna buy it anyway.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Isn't Anno more of a strategy game than a city sandbox though?

I'm sure it's a fine game, but it doesn't scratch that SimCity itch.

You can do a sandbox level with just your city, expanding from island to island and building little towns and cities. It's a really nice way to chill out and it's so drat pretty.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Poil posted:

I will probably run perfectly fine in Dosbox (free and totally awesome program to run dos based games on modern computers). It's just a matter of getting that and the game to your computer. Shouldn't take more than ten minutes and that includes learning the simple commands to type.

I dunno, trying to get SimTower to run in DosBox for me has been a nightmare. The early SimCity games are a bitch to get working on any OS past XP. I have my old discs and no matter what I do, I can't get them to run.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

xzzy posted:

SimFarm works just fine.. probably because they had a full Windows release and Windows is ridiculously backwards compatible. It's actually a fun game, give it a try if you never have. Not very hard (hint: grow strawberries to victory) but it's fun.

I'm not sure SimEarth had a Windows release, it was always a dos program and really, gently caress ms-dos. Every time I think about running an old program and find a faq that talks about adjustments to make in autoexec.bat, I run screaming.

It looks like SimTower had a full windows release as well, but it's with a 16 bit version so it just straight up won't run on most modern OS's. I read some instructions about getting it to work through a VM using Windows 3.1, but gently caress that. I wish I had my old XP machine around so I could still play my SimCity bundle. Man, some of that stuff was pretty lovely in most regards, but at least they were interesting failures (like Streets of SimCity).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Poil posted:

I didn't even know you could run SimTower in dos, I thought it only had the windows version.
That's strange, I haven't had any issues at all with running Sim City or Sim City 2000 on Dosbox and 3000 works fine in windows 7 64bit for me. You're not attempting to run the windows versions of them, are you? Dosbox is dos only as far as I know.

Yeah, turns out I was wrong about DOS, I read somewhere that you could DOSBox it but it looks like there never was any DOS release. I have the CD for Windows 95 and the installer straight-up won't load, even in compatibility mode, so I was basically looking for any fix I could find. SC 3k is quite a bit newer, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was easier to get that to run on a modern system compared to a game that I'm pretty sure predates Windows 95.

All I want is to build an awesome skyscraper. :smith:. Man, a modern version of that game where you could import your tower into a city would own.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Poil posted:

I never though of that, but I have serious doubts it could possibly work. :psyduck:
Still, feel free to try it and let us know what happens. I hope to be wrong, and now I'm going to find a copy of 3.1 so I can try and get it running myself.

It's hideous, but I got it running on 3.1 through DOSBox, but holy hell it's convoluted. Crashed on me after a little bit, too.

I kind of want to make a Sim Spinoff thread, but I don't even know where to start on an OP.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

Painkiller: Retribution was literally a lovely mod someone threw together that the publisher slapped a price tag on and sold.

Weren't all the Painkiller games after Battle out of Hell rebranded mods? And really terrible ones at that, no less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mik posted:

Has there been any post-mortem from any ex-Maxis/EA employees who worked on this game about its development (or lack thereof)? Or would EA just pounce on anything, legally?

I've never worked in software, but every job I've had since college has had enough NDA stuff to make me think that if anyone did come forward with any info, EA would sic their lawyers on them in the blink of an eye.

• Locked thread