Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

The FAQ says the game is fun despite the earlier warnings. So, well: is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Back to the best Simcity then: 3000 Millenium Edition.

That's right, cue the haters :colbert:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

Most of that wealth is entirely Steam though, that's a massive revenue source and they only produce a few games now. It's actually really interesting to look at the history of Steam, they got to the market first as a new concept in order to push Counter Strike and the Half Life series and other companies like Stardock tried to get into it as well but failed. It could be argued that EA has failed as well as Origin is abysmal and only carries their own and a very small list of other titles but since Steam takes a healthy percentage of each sale EA are probably quite happy with it.

Wasn't Stardock pretty much the first company to really start pushing digital distribution? IIRC Steam came a little bit after and just completely crushed them. Would be happy to be corrected, because gently caress Brad Wardell.

I know there's still a few decent competing Digital Distributors - like GamersGate and GMG - but they actually use Steam themselves for half their games :v:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

eXXon posted:

Quigley did a great job of selling the game and then absolving himself of any responsibility for it being a huge turd.

As opposed to?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

KnifeWrench posted:

Disproportionately targeted? Maybe not. But I would argue they're definitely more victimized, due to their lack of social insulation and "real" celebrity.

This is true. Saying that the majority of people who play video games are death-threatening evil fucktards is a pretty gross exaggeration and doesn't do anyone good, though.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Does anyone know where I can find a good, unpack and play, Simcity 4 modpack? I tried adding NAM and CAM(I think those are the names) manually, but it just started CtDing randomly when I did so.

I'm basically going to treat this as the Simcity Megathread for obvious reasons.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Oh, I thought I saw that it had died; my mistake.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

I know people talk about this all the time but has literally anyone actually done that?

As much as I love them, Paradox kind of did it with a lot of their EU3 expansion features.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

univbee posted:

Ubisoft officially distributed a NoCD-cracked EXE by RELOADED for Rainbox Six: New Vegas 2, IIRC because they couldn't figure out any other way to make a digitally distributed version of the game. I'm pretty sure they didn't pay RELOADED for his work.

Hahahaha. Can you imagine paying RELOADED?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

This is hilariously untrue.

E: (Although it's not uncommon people suggest/make a mod doing something close to something we've had planned for months/years and then when we do it someone we've never seen before says "Cool, you used my idea!")

That may be the case, but I'm thinking along the lines of the unknown Trade Goods, regions being implemented right after MM, that kind of thing. I didn't even mean it as a mark against you guys.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Necroneocon posted:

This may be an odd question, but since you work for Paradox I have to ask:

How come all of your posts here always poo poo on your competitors? I don't get it. It's always a post on how this Matrix/Slitherine/Battlefront game is bad. Paradox makes great games. Sometimes they miss. Same with the other companies. It just makes you sound petty and really gives a bad rep for Paradox.

Are you talking about other threads as well? Don't be creepy.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

I'm sure people do that on SA all the time, it's not even close to the most shocking thing I've read there.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Literally richer than he could conceivably know what to do with?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I can understand thinking it's a poo poo game and getting frustrated realizing they aren't listening to any of your reports, but a breakdown? It's not like he doesn't get paid if the game's poo poo on launch.

According to him the breakdown was due to the drinking and a breakup with his girlfriend more than beta-testing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

xzzy posted:

So some random joe tells a story they admit they have no actual proof happened, and finishes off by saying how great EA is because they provided a steady pay check.

Yeah that's a credible source.

Why doesn't everyone hate game companies the same way I hate game companies :argh:

• Locked thread