Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I like making fun of this bad game and its imcompetent devs. And I'm sure there are still plenty of things to laugh about to be expected in the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Martytoof posted:

I don't know what sort of terrible bugs that would introduce if the agent system had to pump water or electricity that much further. The electricity pumps just might not be up to it :(

Well, even if the pumps are strong enough, the electricity could still get confused and then lost on the way. Or stuck between two piles of poop and some water.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Making fun of the game and the devs mainly. I hope there are a couple more upfates that manage to gently caress up more than they fix.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Devs are dumb.

If all you have is Glassbox, everything looks like it should be done with agents.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

This is the only sensible way to do it:
Is something connected to a street and is there leftover power?
Yes. > Building has power.
No. > Blackout time!

Agents for electricity are dumb.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Will Sims 4 come out this year? If yes, is there even enough time to take the potential always on DRM out of the game again?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

MrBims posted:

The thing with the Sims games is that even though they have the weirdest bugs when they come out (well, and years down the line), the gameplay designers and programmers aren't the horrible fuckups responsible for the half-dozen Spore spinoffs like the SimCity developers were, so Sims 4 actually has a pretty high chance of being legitimately a good game with the unfortunate marring of stuff like always-online and being a money tree for EA.

This. The Sims 4 is likely to be a good game dragged down by always on DRM and horrible methods to squeeze more cash out of your customers. Unlike Sim City which would still be lovely without the meddling from the top.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

But aren't video game sales very similar to movie ticket sales? Most of them happening in the first few weeks and so on?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

How does half a blowjob work?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The weird numbering is a desperate attempt to make the game look less bad. Bigger numbers = more bigger things have changed for the better. And it's hilarious.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

It's really strange how many people come into this thread saying people are being angry in here. Making fun of something is far different from being angry.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

OatmealRaisin posted:

In this thread people are talking about how they should be able to sue EA because SimCity sucks :psyduck:

Do you like getting hosed in the rear end by corporations and then licking off your own poo poo off their corporate dicks?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

rickiep00h posted:

Aw, look at you, makin' rape jokes! I bet you feel like a big boy now!

It's not a rape joke, because it's apparently consensual.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

You don't need to wait a month. Just a couple of days is enough. Post release reviews are good enough to get an idea if you should buy a game or not.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Maxis' Dan Moskowitz talking about Building SimCity's sandbox for about an hour:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/193358/Video_Building_SimCitys_sandbox.php

I love his definition of sandbox games:

quote:

goal-free exploration games, where fun is derived from discovering how the game mechanics work
My fixed version:

quote:

goal-free exploration games, where fun is derived from discovering how the game mechanics are broken and don't really work

He mainly describes how the GlassBox engine works. He also talks about surprising emergent behaviours, but doesn't mention nuclear plants blowing up because your nuclear ingenieurs felt like switching with the burger flippers on one particular morning. Or poop and electricity agents getting stuck or lost.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 31, 2013

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

So you are saying Sim City is like a puzzle game, where you try to guess what the incompetent devs tried to hamfistedly simulate and in which way to exploit those mechanics?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Heh, they should have told us so from the beginning. People were just misunderstanding the purpose of the game. :v:

But seriously, finding out how the devs hosed up in all those various ways and what to do with that information is the most fun part of this thread.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The devs are dumb and incompetent. Hahahaha.

Or there is only one person left to work on the game. Heh.

... I think it's both.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

triplexpac posted:

Also, is the RCI still broken? I have people complaining about not being able to find stores, yet I have zero C demand.

I don't know why I bother asking "Is X still broken", of course the answer will be "yes"

There is an easy way to find out:
If they say they have fixed something, it's still broken.
And if they don't mention a problem in the patch notes, it's still broken.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Hahah, what the gently caress is this? Sim City is a puzzle game with the worst solutions.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

To all the people saying that EA is doing alright, because they are making profits: Making a profit is not enough. What really matters is how much profit you make with the money you have available. And EA is absolute poo poo at making high enough profits. And the value of EA's shares reflects that.

Being an greedy rear end in a top hat doesn't automatically make you tons of money. Seriously.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

EA shares have been stagnant from 2003 to 2008. In 2008 they plummeted like everyone else and have stayed down there until now. This is not a sign for a successful company.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Both Dow Jones and Nasdaq-100 have doubled since the crash in 2008. Apple has tripled in value and Google has doubled in value.

And now look at the dipshits from EA:

They stay at $50 for half a decade, lose about 60% of that and then stay at that value for another 5 years. First class investment of your money right there.

So everyone saying that EA are assholes, but successful, is talking out of their asses. EA is a poo poo company, that is poo poo at making money.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 24, 2013

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

Ok so it sucks to be an EA shareholder, but they still bring in a shitload of profit and hold multiple very lucrative IPs. I'm just not seeing them teetering on the verge of collapse any day now.

Their shares wouldn't look like that, if they bring in a shitload of profit. Their multiple lucrative IPs are keeping them alive though, yes.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The near future of Simcity 2013:

Darkspore Gone Forever Due to Abandoned DRM
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125526-Darkspore-Gone-Forever-Due-to-Abandoned-DRM

quote:

One of the many concerns with this "feature" was that players' ownership of the game was entirely dependent on the life of EA's servers. That fear was recently validated, as a series of bugs on EA's end have rendered the game unplayable, with no fixes planned.

quote:

Steam has pulled Darkspore from its store, though at time of writing :siren:EA is still selling it on Origin:siren:.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

SimCity sold over 2 million copies
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-24-simcity-sold-over-2-million-copies

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Isn't this second time they're fixing money gifting?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

It doesn't matter cause it will be always poo poo. Also no.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Gamers are the worst consumers.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

No, that's wrong. If you want something stable, you buy goverment bonds. Yes, EA stock is not only performing worse than other stock, it's also worse than goverment bonds without being as secure.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

numbs posted:

So I take it that I shouldn't buy this.

You should buy it, I need someone to laugh at.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Yeah, it should look like this:

Your buildable city plots are not rectangles but organic shapes that fit the terrain. And fill everything between those plots up with small buildings. If a plot itself has few and small buildings the transition will be to wilderness and if you have mega skyscrapers the area outside of your plot will first transition to smaller skyscrapers and then to suburbs etc.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

If you preorder a game from a big publisher (small indie developers who need the money to fund the game are excepted) you are dumb and deserve to be robbed by EA. Just wait one day for some post release reviews to come out before you buy. It's not that hard. Don't be a baby that has to have everything as soon as possible. Geez.

One day is not a big deal to wait. You don't have to wait weeks or months. And is saving 5 bucks really worth the risk of wasting 55 bucks on a pile of garbage? Especially nowadays no game is guaranteed to be good, no matter which publishers and devs are involved and quality is pretty variable in general. And even when a game sells out, most of the time you can buy the digital version.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Darkhold posted:

I'm pretty staggered by the number of people that are projecting some kind of delayed gratification childishness onto people that pre-order.

It's just weird and insulting. Do you get all offended by people seeing a movie opening night? Buy a book in hardback? Sometimes it's just fun to have something new on the day it was released. And isn't that why we all play games? Fun?

It's just entertainment. Yes if later I scream in some thread about being 'screwed over' by my pre-order by all means call me a baby. But until then why do you care so much? I haven't regretted 90% of my pre-order purchases. On the other hand about 50% of the crap I've picked up in Steam sales I've come to realize was wasted money (even quite a few on goon recommendations).

There are reliable reviews for movies out before opening night. There are reliable reviews for books before they are out. This is not the case for video games.

And I don't care much and I am not offended, I just enjoy calling dumb people dumb.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Darkhold posted:

Honestly I'm unsure how to reply to your first point. It's pretty much a non-sequitur. Review embargoes and paid for reviews exist for both those mediums. Sure they aren't as bad as games but they're there. Also I'm sure everyone has seen a highly reviewed film they thought sucked. You can't buy any form of entertainment without taking a risk even if you sit around and ponder all the variables all day.

The second part of course I'm dumb with money. Everyone is that has money (to be clear I'm not making a 'I'm rich' argument I'm certainly not). Let me go through your stuff sometime I'm willing to guess I'd find about half of it to be a pointless waste.

It's still possible to wait until a review is out then. And spending a couple of minutes reading a review doesn't take all day. Just a few minutes of work reduce your risk considerably. And reviews are a pretty good measure for quality if you know the tastes and preferences of a reviewer and how they compare to your own.

And yes, I have wasted money on entertainment. But it's always on entertainment that doesn't cost much or doesn't take long to consume. Big video games cost $60 and I expect to spend from 10 to 100 hours playing them. Waiting for a review and taking the time to read it is really worth the effort in these cases. And the effort is practically zero.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 4, 2013

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

number one pta fan posted:

Can we not just talk about Simcity? Would that be so hard?

If you're so bothered about pre-ordering a game that turns out to be horrible, don't do it and let people grown up enough to make value judgements and part with money without a Kotaku review do so. If you're proud that waiting six months will save you three hours of the minimum wage, hey, great. Make another thread. Stop making GBS threads up this one.

Except nobody is talking about waiting six months. Just until reliable reviews are out. And I'm sorry that reading a couple of paragraphs is too difficult and hard for you.

And throwing away money doesn't exactly make you a grown up. Also caring about acting grown up is not a very grown up thing to do.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Hob_Gadling posted:

Corollary: all AAA games are poo poo until proven otherwise.

This. Don't buy on release. Wait for honest reviews and the reactions of regular players.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

xzzy posted:

But how will any regular players review it if they don't buy it? :colbert:

People whose time is worthless and thus don't care if they play a bad game. Also dumb people and people who are easy to fool.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

less than three posted:

All agents require roads to travel. Everything is agents because

The word you're looking for is 'verisimilitude'. Heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Carecat posted:

I started playing last week.

• Constantly complains about sewage capacity despite being well into the green. However it won't warn me that power or water is running a small deficit causing industry to stop functioning.
  • Sorting out traffic is a pain in the rear end.
  • Upgrading roads is a pain in the rear end. Sure why don't I demolish the whole of downtown so I can upgrade from high to avenues I could never afford!
  • Snap to roads is a pain and a nightmare for really large buildings.
  • Ploppables were badly thought out as you can gently caress yourself over unless you already know how they fit on that building or play it safe.
  • Money became a non issue after eight-ten hours. I make a fortune from alloys.
  • None of the region stuff seems to work except for migration.
  • Raising your tech level is a real pain in the rear end.

Don't buy games without informing yourself first. Also don't preorder games.

• Locked thread