Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The bizarre thing about the population fudging is that it wouldn't be a big deal if the amount of workers available/required was similarly fudged. What I mean is, at the moment you can look and see you have 50k population and think that means you need to have 50k jobs, when what it means is you need to have far, far fewer. This is nonsensical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Good points, I hadn't thought of the secondary costs.

Parks do take workers and produce garbage, but in testing it (with $$ Wavy Path Parks) they don't seem to produce any sewage, and although they require power and water they seem to use very little power -- it takes a 20th park plopped to make your power usage go up by 0.1 MW -- and an equally small amount of water. Could be different with different parks.

The problem is if you're running a tax-haven and can't afford any services anywhere ever, then you can still build Leafs because they use and produce nothing but happiness. This means that with enough you can counteract the issue of not actually employing people or powering homes.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

WeaponBoy posted:

To be honest, I don't think EA executives realize how bad the actual game is. They're aware of the lovely server issues, but past that there just aren't enough people bitching to reach them, I guess.

Frankly, I don't know why they'd care. The last thread showed that even people who knew the game was bad would continually appear to post in the thread about how they decided to drop $60 bucks on it. With that in mind, I don't know if SimCity will lose money. Seems like riding the brand into the ground is actually working out pretty well for them!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

You could always try something like A Train 8, which is a transport-focused city builder, meaning the city tools aren't as slick or developed but you can, for example, manipulate property growth through building warehouses and factories, then building a bus system out to them, etc.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

It's interesting you mention Euro Truck Sim 2, because those devs have been making budget transport games for a decade, and built up contacts with the various bus and truck companies for licenses -- and it was still a huge risk for them, because ETS2 is huge, high budget and took several years to complete. They admitted in blog posts at the time that if it didn't succeed they might have to shut the company down. The game was a huge gamble for them, and happily it paid off, but it wasn't a sure thing by any means.

And it is a great game, but it's understandable that a lot of people aren't willing to risk everything on the level a truly expansive simulator requires.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I still like how the Call to Power games did it -- armies had a size limit, and ranged units couldn't be attacked by melee units until all the melee were gone, so there was a lot of strategy involved in making your stack and figuring out what to put in it (until the end where you just built the best unit forever but that's every strategy game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The best patch notes would just be "all installations of SimCity now include SimCity4."

• Locked thread