Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Beamed posted:

The FAQ says the game is fun despite the earlier warnings. So, well: is it?

For about ~10 hours on average I'd say. It's a very shallow game with many non-functional specialities and buildings sadly. The rending of garments posters go through to declare it the worst thing ever is beyond melodramatic, but hey, that's nothing new.

The release stuff is nonsense at this point to a prospective buyer (beyond general EA whinging), and since I had skipped that stage as well, felt the game was deserving of at least a serious patch before rendering verdict. It's had a patch and it was awful. If they patch it further and release solid content? Sure, check back, otherwise, give it a pass, and just don't expect that to actually happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yup, that's a perfectly sensible change. If they also made it so the buildings chosen to do so are somewhat randomized, it should help disguise the issues with the flood of agents as well. Though I find that somewhat doubtful unless they open housing the same way.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mendrian posted:

So you're saying that you're making Hate EA a lifestyle choice. You're making it a part of your identity, removing any of the hated EA scriptures from your home.

e: Edit for being too snarky.

Is there anything SC 5 does better than SC 4?

Superior graphics, sound (though even here, there's bugs that screw that up), and a significantly better UI and layout. I'd also give props to the information layout in the various overlays, but considering how much of it is either wrong or lies, I don't think you really can. Similarily, I actually like the agent system and things it can simulate, they just gave us a bugged implementation. I'd also agree with Air Julio on city design and layout, though once again, that comes with the caveat that size is a rather large sticking point. I also like cloud saves in general, but once again, I can't really see wanting to install this on my laptop or playing on a friend's system, which removes the point. Also, removing some of the unnecessary complexity like laying water pipes is also a welcome change to design, along with the expandable buildings was an interesting design decision, but once again, a lacking implementation.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

eightysixed posted:

drat. Alright :smith:

I'd disagree with Endorph to an extent. $20 is about right for this game. It's not very deep, but at least on the server I've been on (USEAST4), I've yet to see a city become corrupted or disappear. After patch 3 dropped, I quickly cycled through 20 or so of the oldest ones I made, and they all still loaded fine.

Mind you, the game's still not, you know, good, but there's way worse things you could blow $20 on.

Endorph posted:

Don't be sad, man! There are thousands of great games you haven't played, thousands of wonderful books you haven't read, thousands of amazing movies you haven't watched. The world is your oyster! Go forth, and leave SimCity behind! The time to expand your world is now!

Sometimes you need to play a four to appreciate a seven.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

All I can say to that picture is when I was in China they just had traffic cop/soldier at major intersections directing traffic by waving assault rifles around.

Worked like a charm, generally looked like this with a more jovial director

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

kedo posted:

You're right! I bought a game from one of the largest and arguably most successful gaming companies in the world,

Man, someone has the memory of a guppy if that's their opinion of EA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I love that the Mac release is somehow worse then the earlier PC release.

That's poetic.

• Locked thread