Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Beamed posted:

The FAQ says the game is fun despite the earlier warnings. So, well: is it?

Last I played (before Patch 2.0) it was pretty fun for maybe 3 hours. Once you fill your city to capacity and congestion you are left with a terrible mess of micromanaging the small space and impossible traffic.

I did enjoy seeing the city grow, but that made for a game that was ultra repetitive and maybe 3 hours of fun max. The problem is that the game being fun for 3 hours at a time with no promise of further growth becomes terribly UN-fun when you realize that every time you load SimCity you are basically going to have to start a new city from scratch just to get enjoyment out of this game. It's incredibly limited and I guess if you like watching cities grow then maybe you can still have some fun, but if you're looking to do anything more complex like manage an existing city you will find this very tedious.

Just my two cents. Obviously lots of people can and will disagree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can't help that despite the lovely traffic and other bugs, I would instantly have "more fun" if they gave me the bigger city sizes I've been wanting since day one.

I don't know what sort of terrible bugs that would introduce if the agent system had to pump water or electricity that much further. The electricity pumps just might not be up to it :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Well, even if the pumps are strong enough, the electricity could still get confused and then lost on the way. Or stuck between two piles of poop and some water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRppqaanECA&t=14s

An actual Maxis planning meeting caught on tape

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Air Julio posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/kuberous

This guy is a pretty cool streamer. His gimmick is going into abandoned cities and fixing them up. It's kind of like This Old House, but Sim City. Looks like he's just about to get started.

This is such a cool gimmick. Making the best out of a crappy game :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

It's double dumb when suddenly electricity behaves like water, and water like poo poo.

I turned on two lamps and my electrical pressure dropped :(

And then someone flushed the toilet and my TV turned off.

The life of a Sim.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

C'monnnn Patch 4.0 that fixes everything wrong with this game just in time for the Mac version to hit my Origin :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear:

I actually haven't played this game since maybe 2 weeks after launch so much to my delight I'm starting to forget how crappy it is. I look forward to at least 2 or 3 hours of gameplay on the Mac version before I burn out all over again :3:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

LonsomeSon posted:

SimCity 2013: Do Not Build It, So They Will Not Come

SimCity 2013: If you build it they will come; too bad you ran out of space 2 days ago.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Unless the Mac version somehow adds bigger cities then even if everything runs well this is still going to be an "enjoy it for 3 hours then WELP" game :(

Eh, I'm still looking forward to the Mac release. If anything it lets me dick around for 3 hours without booting into Windows for a change.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

DarkJC posted:

If you haven't really played much on the PC and have primarily waiting for the Mac release, I think you'll have some fun with it. The patches have at least fixed a lot of game breaking issues and I've been having a pretty good time just managing a single city.

I have literally not launched this game since maybe a month after release. I had a pretty okay time playing it for short bursts but once the city filled up I basically got bored with the game. I don't expect anything to change since city size was always my #1 gripe, but I'll still probably have a few hours of fun with the game every now and then :)

.. assuming it actually RUNS on the Mac on release :q:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

General Maximus posted:

You say that like the Mac version somehow won't be just the PC version running in a badly coded emulator.

Shut up shut up shut up la la la not listening :(

Oh man this is going to be the case, isn't it? :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hahaha that thing is going to take up 1/4 of en entire city.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Can I replace my mass transit with one big rollercoaster?

Because I mean that would be pretty cool I guess, and make my traffic troubles less aggravating.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The only way for them to make the Mac version a great experience for their player is basically to write a brand new game from scratch.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

At its core, I still think SC2013 could be a fun game, but you'd basically need to gut the algorithms and vastly expand the city sizes.

I have zero problems with most of the gameplay in SC2013, I have all the problems in the world with the scale of the game and its lovely algorithms and internals.

WeaponBoy posted:

Well, it's not like they could possibly have come out of this looking good. Either they release their Mac client before it's ready and a) it has more bugs due to an incomplete port and people are angry because of that or b) they delay the game so that when they release it they're only going to get poo poo on for the already existing bugs.

Comedy option c) they fix the game, but that's not really something that can happen because of a Mac port.

Yeah, I mean I guess it's not fair to them, but then again it looks like they VASTLY underestimated the effort of a Mac port, OR had no idea what they were doing that it's literally slipped by two months. Two months for a digital delivery product isn't like "oh we're just putting the polishing touches on it", that's more of a "okay we basically hit our keyboards for a few months and nothing happened and we're gonna need some more time". Well, maybe not that bad, but it still signals some terrible behind the scenes stuff.

I realize you can probably apply a lot of what I said to the Windows version, but I'm trying to be generous and specifically talk about the Mac port.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 7, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Much as I hate to say it, because I love the idea of studios releasing their own first party Mac games, but they really should have just subcontracted Feral or Aspyr to do the Mac port. Companies with, you know, experience in porting to the Mac?

I'd like to believe that this was a test run for future EA in-house Mac titles, and that this is a learning experience, but I think we all know that isn't very likely.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

WeaponBoy posted:

This isn't Maxis' first port to Mac. The Sims 3 and it's eleven thousand expansions are all on Mac.

Oh yeah, my bad. I assumed Aspyr or Feral did Sims 3.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I wish SC4 for Mac hadn't been abandoned. I'd love to play that again :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

One of those questions was about unlimited city size which would be awesome. I uninstalled this long ago, but not because it was too buggy or anything, but simply because it was boring as gently caress once you built your city. I know the game had other dealbreaking problems, but seriously, the boredom was what killed it for me. I just couldn't go through the same "build a city for 6 hours and have it full and micromanage your dumb broken poo poo" over and over.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Doflamingo posted:

At this point I don't even know why they're bothering. Too little and way too loving late.

I'm quite literally surprised that they haven't just discontinued development. The cynic in me suggests that they'll discontinue after the first patch to fix the inevitable OSX problems.

At which point I'm guessing the game will be roughly a year old.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sardonik posted:

:words: Tropico 5 :words: Mac :words:

SOLD!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

they just want to reach their destination and then stop existing.

EA development cycle dot txt

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I maintain that we'll see one patch after the OSX version hits and then no more. One patch to fix any major OSX problems -- and let's not kid ourselves, there will be problems -- and then they'll put the game away.

That's just a guess, but with all the turnover at EA I can imagine they might want to just let this die.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I"m not sure this is the thread for it, but I guess since we're there: If you think getting death threats for tweaking the reload speed on a gun is somehow related to emotionally getting attached to a franchise then I'm not sure what to tell you.

It's not like they replaced the guns with bananas or something.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm. Finally got around to trying the Mac port. The game runs really well, easily as well as it did on my Windows 8 partition. The problem of the game being ridiculously boring and entirely too small? Well that's never going to change, I guess :(

Still, good job on the port I guess, EA.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

univbee posted:

You run on a Hackintosh, correct? I know a bunch of people were saying even high-end legit Macs struggled with it, although that may have been patched since its botched Mac launch.

Yeah, I'm running on a Hackintosh, though the hardware is probably equal to mid 2010-2011 Macs. I'm on an i7 920. Actually now that I think about it, I have an AMD 6870 video card which most macs don't, so that will probably affect my performance upwards over a real mac.

Though regardless, I can only equate my experience comparing Windows and OSX and they seem about equal which puts it in the "decent port" category for me. I honestly haven't followed the thread at all after I uninstalled the game so I'm not sure what the initial reception for the Mac launch was like :)

Now shame about the poo poo game. I have a feeling I'll be uninstalling this pretty quickly too, to move on to something more enjoyable.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can't fathom how it's not possible to just make those agents work .. faster? Unless it's so your grandma-pc can still run this game.

I basically played the Mac version for 20 minutes and uninstalled it. There's nothing there to play. I had hopes that maybe they'd make some changes like plot size by the time the Mac version hit but nope..

This whole ordeal has just been one big disappointment. I guess the fact that they made it run allright on OSX is something? Right? ... Guys? Hello?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Doflamingo posted:

In that case I can't wait for the SimAnt expansion where you get to build underground, too!

Please, this game is buggy enough as is.

edit: Dammit.

• Locked thread