Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Just want to resurrect my post from the previous thread. I was angry. I was angry about videogames.

quote:

Hold your horses there Mr. "ExtraNoise". Please note that I didn't say "After maxis was purchased by EA they were making poo poo games".

I liked Simcity 4. I didn't like spore or the sims. I don't think sim city 4 is a good enough game to balance out the others, especially spore.

I used to love maxis. Playing simearth (especially reading the manual) as a kid got me interested in atmospheric and environmental sciences. I currently work in environmental sciences. In a way early maxis games shaped the person I am today. I loved that game and today I still do. It introduced me to the idea of 'systems' and 'systems within systems'.

Simcity 2000, I loved this game. I remember my parents promised to buy this game for me about a month before we got it and all I did all day was draw up cities on paper. We also got the sim city 2000 construction kit program too.

Simisle and Simfarm were pretty fun too! They were systems games.

Simcopter was a really fun game, I loved flying around my cities and I loved the idea of a ... sandbox adventure game; where missions would just appear.

Then finally streets of sim city. Alien abductions and old grandmothers attaching machine guns to thier car to go do something about the aliens? AND I could drive around my own cities? AND set up jumps in Sim city 2000 contstruction kit? !!!!!

Finally maxis is purchased by EA and what do we get? The Sims, spore and progressively worse sim cities culminating in this steaming pile of poo poo.

Their brand is dead to me.
Will Wright is dead to me.

So yes, before 1997 Maxis was magnificent. After 1997 with ONE exception they have been making poo poo games. Games with no depth to them. Games for people who don't want to think too hard.

Games for people like you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Beamed posted:

The FAQ says the game is fun despite the earlier warnings. So, well: is it?

The guy who made the last op has recanted his sins.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

ExtraNoise posted:

I don't think anyone is EA white knighting in this thread. I think we're all universally unhappy with them.

ExtraNoise posted:

I'm concerned about city size. They seem so small!
That's not really a question, dear reader. But as someone who was upset with small city size initially, let me lessen your fears in saying that the game is very fun, even on a smaller scale, and that I was too busy managing my city to bother with attempting to min-max the game to its borders.

Liar.

• Locked thread