Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
Mr_Zombie
Mar 27, 2011

Quite shocked to see nobody has done this yet.

Who is Alan Partridge?

Alan Partridge is a comic character portrayed by Steve Coogan. He is undoubtedly Coogan's most famous character.

Created by Coogan and written by Coogan, Armando Ianucci (The Thick of It, In The Loop, Veep) and others (including Stewart Lee). He first appeared on BBC Radio 4 spoof news programme On The Hour as the programmes sports reporter. The show was also co-written and presented by Chris Morris (Brass Eye, Four Lions). What I'm trying to get at is the pedigree from which Partridge was born. On The Hour became televised in the form of The Day Today and Coogan reprised his role. Moving forwards Partridge found himself presenting his own chat show in the form of Knowing Me, Knowing You. The series finale ends with a Christmas special in which Partridge is told his show won't be renewed for a second series.

Coogan reprised his role in I'm Alan Partridge. A sitcom following Alan after his downfall and documenting his attempts to make a comeback. It's the most famous portrayal of Alan and one of the best comedies produced in Britain in the 90's. After a lengthy gap it returned for a second series.

There have been other projects since then, internet shorts, a fictionalised biography and some more TV work, but nothing has ever really hit the high of the first series of I'm Alan Partridge.

This summer Alan Partridge will return in the movie Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa.

Why should I care?

Because Alan Partridge is immensely funny. He's pompous, egotistical, stupid and awkward. Everyone in Alan's world is a foil, highlighting all of his defects in almost every interaction. However, the character is never really unlikeable. Even at his cruellest he's so totally oblivious to his actions, it's fascinating to watch someone be so graceless and you never really get a chance to hate him because he is constantly shown up.

I realise that the majority of people here probably don't have this movie on their radar but you should keep an eye out for it. Alan Partridge is one of Britain's greatest comedy characters, portrayed by one of Britain's best comic actors and written by some of the finest comedic minds we have.

Here's the trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKYkWa9JBu4

Mr_Zombie fucked around with this message at May 1, 2013 around 19:36

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

I cannot wait for this to come out. Mid Morning Matters and the 'Autobiography' I, Partridge: We Need To Talk About Alan proves that Coogan's creation still has a ton of life in it.

Seriously, how can you not mention the absolutely amazing Mid Morning Matters?

Mr_Zombie
Mar 27, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I cannot wait for this to come out. Mid Morning Matters and the 'Autobiography' I, Partridge: We Need To Talk About Alan proves that Coogan's creation still has a ton of life in it.

Seriously, how can you not mention the absolutely amazing Mid Morning Matters?

I agree that there's still life in this, mainly because they've done an incredible job of creating this massive arc of Alan Partridge. Each time they go back to him they are taking into account all the former projects he has been in. Go back to the start and follow it through and you're watching his life. It's real dedication to the character and I hope the movie follows suit, though I truly feel it will work as a standalone thing. Everything else has worked in isolation.

As well as Mid Morning Matters, the book is incredible. For most people unfamiliar with Partridge, basically people who aren't British, I can't stress how good the first series of I'm Alan Partridge is. It was the definition of water cooler television, or whatever the school yard equivalent is. Quote some Partridge to a British person, they will pick up on it immediately.

Mr_Zombie fucked around with this message at May 1, 2013 around 21:07

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

I listened to the audiobook before watching the I'm Alan Partridge series, and it was hilarious to see how he twisted everything that had happened in the series (and its off-shoots). Namely the fight between him and his stalker, and his dinner with the head of the BBC.

Also, I don't think there will ever be anything that can make me laugh as instantly as hearing Alan Partridge go, "Ooooooooooh, ladyboys."

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

This had better make some money, or we are going to have to deal with Norfolk's Maddest Man.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

This had better make some money, or we are going to have to deal with Norfolk's Maddest Man.

STOP GETTING BOND WRONG!

Mr_Zombie
Mar 27, 2011

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I wonder what kind of numbers they hope to pull in for something like this?

I hope it makes enough to spawn a series of sequels so I can one day watch all the Coogan Partridge movies back to back on a Bank holiday Monday.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Here's some early The Day Today Alan Partridge Sports reporting:

"He boings down, up in the air, double-back twister, comes down, bangs his head on the board, and in. Lovely."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSf4NRE3OcI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoLCENWEtxI

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at May 1, 2013 around 21:21

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The very first joke in that kills me, where Chris Morris needles Alan for no particular reason.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The very first joke in that kills me, where Chris Morris needles Alan for no particular reason.

I love that. Likewise here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoLCENWEtxI#t=106s

"ALAN!"

"WHAT?"

Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

I drink to make other people more interesting.

This is the best news I've heard in 2013. Now give me a Saxondale movie, and my soul will at last be able to rest.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I totally met Alan Partridge once.

No, it wasn't Steve Coogan. Who the gently caress is Steve Coogan?

Mr_Zombie
Mar 27, 2011

For Coogan stuff that doesn't get enough love check out A Cock and Bull Story, The Trip and I Am Not An Animal (by Peter Baynham, another Partridge collaborator and general unsung hero of British comedy).

Coogan is such a massive talent. It's a shame that since he's so famous for creating a character that his other character creations warrant so much attention. They usually don't hold up and he has done things that are much more interesting.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Have I got a second series?

No.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

God, I love Alan Partridge.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX2K2nNsSWw

I know too many of these.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

not all who wander are lost

Alan's autobiography might be one of the funniest things ever. The written version is great but for best effect, find a copy of the audiobook, it's sublime.

I love everything from The Day Today to Mid Morning Matters, but I'm surprised Coogan's live show hasn't gotten a mention. It was very Alan-centric and had a loving amazing version of Alan doing Sir Thomas Moore's story.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Stare-Out posted:

Alan's autobiography might be one of the funniest things ever. The written version is great but for best effect, find a copy of the audiobook, it's sublime.

Coogan's inflections and verbal quirks are such a huge part of the Alan Partridge persona that I too highly recommend the audiobook. It's always on my iPod for when I really need to hear Alan describe how a woman who got hit by an arrow at an archery competition looks like a 'lady lolly'.

Reich Joyce
Jan 4, 2008
Never trouble trouble 'til trouble troubles you

Mid morning matters is great but here is even more proof that Alan Partridge is as hilarious as ever. "Welcome to the places of my life" puts Alan in yet another entertainment format, the cheesy public information video mixed with a poorly made documentary. They nail everything down to the map sequence having the clumsy copyright logo at the bottom. Also, some good Norfolk prepwork for the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxp_B9gjnF8

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Reich Joyce posted:

Mid morning matters is great but here is even more proof that Alan Partridge is as hilarious as ever. "Welcome to the places of my life" puts Alan in yet another entertainment format, the cheesy public information video mixed with a poorly made documentary. They nail everything down to the map sequence having the clumsy copyright logo at the bottom. Also, some good Norfolk prepwork for the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxp_B9gjnF8
Yeah, it's amazing.

88h88
Feb 25, 2011

Mr_Zombie posted:

There have been other projects since then, internet shorts, a fictionalised biography and some more TV work, but nothing has ever really hit the high of the first series of I'm Alan Partridge.

This is kinda why I'm not overly excited, it's been a good while since Alan was the funniest thing around and everything he did since that first series was solid but not great. It has a few solid writers so I hold out hope.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

88h88 posted:

This is kinda why I'm not overly excited, it's been a good while since Alan was the funniest thing around and everything he did since that first series was solid but not great. It has a few solid writers so I hold out hope.

See, I think the writing in Places Of My Life and Mid Morning Matters is far better than I'm Alan Partridge, which had a great character but suffered by being a laugh track sit com, which really works against the persona.

e: Anyone hesitating on buying Alan's book I, Partridge: We Need To Talk About Alan, here he is discussing it on Open Books with Martin Bryce complete with excerpts from the autobiography.

Powerful stuff.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at May 8, 2013 around 12:56

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Stop beating around the bush, CineD. Tell me about the ladyboys!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Professor Clumsy posted:

Stop beating around the bush, CineD. Tell me about the ladyboys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCfOKapKcoM

e: There are way more Alan Partridge Dubstep remixes out there than one would expect.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at May 8, 2013 around 22:20

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.

I just realised Alan Partridge is like an English Troy McClure

ThetaOmnikron
Jun 27, 2004

Only seen KMKY, just bought series 1 of I'm Alan Partridge. Is the second season worth getting? Brief research says Coogan and Ianucci do not speak highly of it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yes, it is. Despite the word going around that they didn't have that great of a time making it, it's absolutely fantastic. Slightly more over the top perhaps than S1 but guaranteed Alan Partridge with tons of memorable stuff.

Basically just get everything to do with Alan Partridge, none of it is bad by any means.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

ThetaOmnikron posted:

Only seen KMKY, just bought series 1 of I'm Alan Partridge. Is the second season worth getting? Brief research says Coogan and Ianucci do not speak highly of it.

It is definitely worth your time.

haakman
May 5, 2011

Cashback.

This is going to be great. I cannot get enough of Alan Partridge if only for the fact that he completely ridicules Norfolk. As a Suffolk dweller, this is great.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

haakman posted:

Cashback.

This is going to be great. I cannot get enough of Alan Partridge if only for the fact that he completely ridicules Norfolk. As a Suffolk dweller, this is great.

It's not south, it's not Suffolk, it's not analog. So it must be North Norfolk Digital! Norfo..North Norfolk's best music mix.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Dissapointed Owl posted:

North Norfolk Digital! Norfo..North Norfolk's best music mix.
That's one of my favorite running gags. It's even in the audiobook.

Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

I drink to make other people more interesting.

ThetaOmnikron posted:

I'm surprised to hear that. When I get in the mood for some Alan, four out of five times I put in a series two disc. The best quotes come from series one, but overall I find 2 more funny.

*Eh, thinking about it that may be because I played 1 to death when I got it and have it drat near memorized.

Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at May 10, 2013 around 13:33

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

New trailer is out!

August 7!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Whatever the flaws in series 2, the episode where he meets Dan makes up for all of it. God, just thinking about the back and forth in the service station is making me want to cringe and die. In a good way.

haakman
May 5, 2011

This is going to be the best film of the year.

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

What's the deal with the lack of Partridge makeup? He looks a lot younger...It's like Coogan just sort of turned up.

Also yes, series 2 is great. I might even like it better than 1.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I am Siegeface.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

8raz posted:

What's the deal with the lack of Partridge makeup? He looks a lot younger...It's like Coogan just sort of turned up.

Also yes, series 2 is great. I might even like it better than 1.

I guess they ditched the old age make up due to Coogan actually being closer to Alan's age now but yeah, he still looks too good to look like authentic/classic Alan. Especially the hair.

Also, holy poo poo, Colm Meaney! I love it when he turns up in a film.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Sentinel Red posted:

Whatever the flaws in series 2, the episode where he meets Dan makes up for all of it. God, just thinking about the back and forth in the service station is making me want to cringe and die. In a good way.

I've got your kids, Dan! ...

I've got your kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

My husband works in Cromer so him and his work mates dossed off to go watch the filming on the pier and apparently a very slow and steady car chase through town or something. Being a Norfolk lass I find it hugely entertaining whenever Alan mentions a small town or village near me or where my fiends live. Was just listening to Mid Morning Matters and he's going on about corpses littering the streets of Hickling and I'm in tears because I was there for dinner last week with friends and can picture those corpse ridden streets so well.

Studiously ignoring any comments by Suffolk goons, we all know what you lot get up to in your big sheds.

«3 »