Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART

Druggeddwarf posted:

Sometime give me a paragraph recap. I keep getting lost in hire good Sand was to finish refreshing my knowledge.

Breakout ended in a wrassle-fight with Dr. Doom and the Avengers wound up keeping Mjolnir out of his grimy metal mitts. Simultaneously across the country Stamford happened and made everybody feel bad. There was a congressional hearing and Gyrich and his chodesters pressed really hard to bring the state security hammer down with the SARA law (which at this point nobody has really read in its entirety) and our handsome billionaire protagonist said some things and made him feel really bad. Then the Titanium Man attacked the Senate with some other D-listers but nobody cared to investigate beyond stopping them. Oh and we fought an Annihilus army that was flooding out of the Baxter building for some reason. Not sure why they were there, but it might have only been a Tuesday.

The act passed, Reed Richards got tapped as the head of the enforcement arm and in a show of remarkable lack of foresight Tony Stark went off his nut and issued an ultimatum to shutdown all Starktech (that stuff that powers military and domestic vehicles, infrastructure, and essential services worldwide) unless Congress called takesies backsies. The X-men were scrambled and together with SHIELD they drew first blood, and the scene ended when robotic mystery dudes came in and split everybody up. Then it turned out Dr. Doom and Silver Sable were behind the mysterybots because why wouldn't Dr. Doom be behind it all, and two separate teams of Avengers were made. The Heroic Avengers split up to raid a SHIELD space prison/save Luke Cage and then later the Young Avengers kids. The Mighty Avengers went on to raid the Reavers and some other anti-government villain jerks. Sideways to the fray a SHIELD stealth team of Thunderbolts-ish folks ostensibly led by Spiderwoman and the Punisher took out the Hood. Then Namor and Magneto both came out as vocally Anti-Reg in a fistfight with the X-men in New York, completing the trifecta of crazy dictators that have attempted world domination and invaded the CONUS at least once in the last decade. Namor has promised anybody who doesn't want to get regged they can chill out under the water but who knows how that's going to work out.

Oh and Thunderbolt Ross is now Rulk and he broke Snookie's dad's Venetian glass windows, so I imagine that dude is going to be pissed. Did I leave anything out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Only that instead of the SHRA, it's actually SARA. Instead of making every masked hero get on a government list, SARA is about registering any 'sufficiently advanced technology' with the government instead.

Tony, still Extremis'd, thinks that his actual brain could be qualified as sufficiently advanced technology, hence why he is anti-registration this time.

Also the Annihilus army was arranged by the Illuminati in order to give the New Avengers a solid start on a positive reputation post Stamford.

Also, also the night before Iron Man laid down the ultimatum Captain America told him that Maria Hill asked Steve to be the head of the SARA taskforce and that he would be meeting to try and talk things down. He has not been seen since. Tony thinks SHIELD has him under arrest, and told Namor as much. Namor is not pleased.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
So the X-Men have been pro-government up to this point, but might have a collective change of heart due to Namor's offer and information he passed along? Out of curiosity, what led them to side with SHIELD in the first place?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Well, SHIELD is in charge of O*N*E aka the dudes in sentinels keeping them on reservation. Beast, current New Avenger and Illuminatus, pushed hard for Cyclops to play ball with Hill in order to better the position of the 198. The only major pro-government moves they've made were A. Trying to talk down Iron Man before SHIELD moved in and B. Fight Magneto because who else is going to fight Magneto these days?

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
For those of us who are hypothetically interested, we would need to hypothetically app one character for each side like everybody currently in the game, right?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
If you want to, only app a single dude/tte. Potatocubed was only running with Spider-Woman, so we're actually down three PCs.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

Only that instead of the SHRA, it's actually SARA. Instead of making every masked hero get on a government list, SARA is about registering any 'sufficiently advanced technology' with the government instead.

Tony, still Extremis'd, thinks that his actual brain could be qualified as sufficiently advanced technology, hence why he is anti-registration this time.

Also the Annihilus army was arranged by the Illuminati in order to give the New Avengers a solid start on a positive reputation post Stamford.

Also, also the night before Iron Man laid down the ultimatum Captain America told him that Maria Hill asked Steve to be the head of the SARA taskforce and that he would be meeting to try and talk things down. He has not been seen since. Tony thinks SHIELD has him under arrest, and told Namor as much. Namor is not pleased.

Sure call your team the New Avengers, I'm pretty sure the Mighty Avengers sold better anyway. :P

The role of the X-men in all this has been particularly interesting. I really wondered if/when we met up with them again what their thoughts were re: having their entire genome declared "sufficiently advanced technology" and subsequently automatically government property as a result. There's gotta be someone else on their side of the dance who's feeling awfully chapped by that result.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The X-gene is specifically NOT under any application of SARA, because actual bits of people are not technology. Unless they are cy-bits. It's one of the hardcoded parts of the act.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mr. Maltose posted:

The X-gene is specifically NOT under any application of SARA, because actual bits of people are not technology. Unless they are cy-bits. It's one of the hardcoded parts of the act.

It's why Cable is such a good fit for someone who breaks with the X-Men. He's pretty much in the same boat as Tony Stark.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe
Oh neat, I've been reading this for a long while, and I'd definitely be down to app a person/people.

Just have to consider some folks for some Pro/Anti Regging in an interesting way.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

Puppies are dicks posted:

Did I leave anything out?

The Pro reg avengers are also currently in an underground island based on coordinates given to them by Spider-Woman which may or may not have been a Hydra ploy. Also most of the pro-reg avengers are now gone what with Strange and Spider-Woman out. So now it's just War-Machine, NPC Beast, and the Human Torch.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

So you're telling me mutants get a free out because their one-eyed overlord is willing to toe the party line and put the X-boot onto the neck of every other superpowered person out there? :colbert:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
No, it's not technology. Don't be dense.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

It's very realistic in that we have a terrible tragedy in which a bunch of children are killed, and instead of taking action against the actual cause (Nitro), Congress passes a law that wouldn't actually have any effect on the act that they are responding to. Or does this law actually apply to mutates, just not mutants?

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.

Puppies are dicks posted:

Did I leave anything out?

You said that the Thunderbolts were lead by The Punisher and Spiderwoman, which I think is wrong, unless Black Cat has been part of Spiderwoman's quintuple-agent, shadow-op, mystery plot, this whole time, and didn't even know.(!)

Lager posted:

It's very realistic in that we have a terrible tragedy in which a bunch of children are killed, and instead of taking action against the actual cause (Nitro), Congress passes a law that wouldn't actually have any effect on the act that they are responding to. Or does this law actually apply to mutates, just not mutants?

I think* that was addressed a long time ago: Mutants don't inherently possess super tech. They were born with mutated genetics, and are technically a natural occurrence. Many of them use tech to augment or facilitate their powers (the Summers clan), or have powers directly related to technology (Forge, Cypher, Scalp Hunter, etc.) but Mutants themselves are not super-advanced tech.

Conversely, people like Nitro are mutated, and had their genetic structure modified with super advanced technology, so they kind of do qualify as super-tech. Also, magic is considered a super advanced form of technology (thus putting folks like Iron Fist, Hercules, and Dr. Strange in the crosshairs.) But the honest answer to "who qualifies under the SARA act" is vague, because how the hell does congress know who's powers come from what sources?

*correct me if I'm wrong here.

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 30, 2014

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

I'm kind of tempted to play Misty Knight as an anti-reg hero. I mean she has ties to both Ironman and Cage so she'd be likely to help them out of a jam.

I was also kind of tempted to play everyone's second favourite Canadian superhero Deadpool as a pro registration merc but I'm not sure I have the writing chops for that.

Second favourite? Oh right wolverine, Anyway relax you can't be any worse about writing me than some of the stuff I've seen on the internet. You do not want to google Deadpool slash fiction. Besides I can do the witty third wall breaking posting for both of us.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 30, 2014

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
So, I'm considering a Pro-Reg Black Panther looking to solidify an alliance with the US by bringing Wakandan tech to the table.

Still flip-flopping on Anti-Reg, though possibly Emma Frost in a lover's spat with Cyclops (also savoring an excuse to get more extra-legal again).

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I AM SO DOWN WITH MISTY BEING IN ON THIS. Seriously. And not just because she's also an acquaintance of Silver Sable and Black Cat's. (Early on, I had considered apping her as my second character.)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

LifeGetsWorser posted:

Still flip-flopping on Anti-Reg, though possibly Emma Frost in a lover's spat with Cyclops (also savoring an excuse to get more extra-legal again).

Hmm...

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dammit, you convinced me.

EDIT: Should we go ahead and post datafiles in thread for you then? Shouldn't take long since both of the apps I'm going to throw at you already are statted and everything.

EDIT EDIT: And by you, I of course meant Mr. Maltose since he's GMing now.

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 30, 2014

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

I AM SO DOWN WITH MISTY BEING IN ON THIS. Seriously. And not just because she's also an acquaintance of Silver Sable and Black Cat's. (Early on, I had considered apping her as my second character.)

I don't actually know a lot of comic book lore but from what little I've read she seems like quite an interesting character and should be fun to play.

Though I think I'll drop the deadpool idea because I can't I write him well enough. Instead for the Pro-reg end of things I'll go with Hellcat. An old friend of Hank McCoy and ex-avenger whose likely to turn up if she needs help plus as a non comic book fan she has things in her backstory that just make me wonder what the hell comic book writers are smoking.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ferrosol posted:

Instead for the Pro-reg end of things I'll go with Hellcat.

You just made someone very happy

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Yeah, what should we be posting as our application?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Chalk me up as another interested party. Not that I expect to get in, mind you. There's too many interested people with good ideas for me to honestly say I'd have a good shot. I just really enjoy applying to MHR games and could use an excuse to finally read this thread.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

I think* that was addressed a long time ago: Mutants don't inherently possess super tech. They were born with mutated genetics, and are technically a natural occurrence. Many of them use tech to augment or facilitate their powers (the Summers clan), or have powers directly related to technology (Forge, Cypher, Scalp Hunter, etc.) but Mutants themselves are not super-advanced tech.

Conversely, people like Nitro are mutated, and had their genetic structure modified with super advanced technology, so they kind of do qualify as super-tech. Also, magic is considered a super advanced form of technology (thus putting folks like Iron Fist, Hercules, and Dr. Strange in the crosshairs.) But the honest answer to "who qualifies under the SARA act" is vague, because how the hell does congress know who's powers come from what sources?

*correct me if I'm wrong here.

Yeah, I figured that might be the case. Which means the government is trying to make us into government property - slaves, I dare say! - due to some scientist deciding to experiment on us against our wills, or some alien trying to tinker with the human genome! The High Evolutionary experiments on some random podunk town in Texas, and all those god-fearing Americans are going to be made criminals right along with the villain himself? They already have enough problems, what with being turned into cow-people!

....Oh, sorry. Had a "meeting at the docks" moment there...

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Arright here is my proposed character. Inspired by the earlier discussion of mutants, it's a what-if based on a conversation in Web of Spider-Man #2 (Electro explains his origin story to a bewildered Magneto, who says "That's preposterous. Surely you don't actually believe that", then theorizes that the lightning strike just woke up something that was already there). I used the Breakout file, switched distinctions to fit the new stuff, and added an SFX (Versatile) and a couple limits.

quote:

Electro (Max Dillon)

Solo d8 / Buddy d6 / Team d10

Sky's the Limit
Hanging by a Thread
Gene Hazard

Living Capacitor
Electric Blast d12 Electrical Mastery d10
Enhanced Speed d8 Enhanced Strength d8
Flight d6

SFX: Energy Absorption. On a successful reaction against an electricity-based attack action, convert your opponent’s effect die into a Living Capacitor stunt or double a Living Capacitor power until used in an action. On a failed reaction, spend d6 doom to use this SFX.
SFX: Unleashed. Unleashed. Step up or double any Living Capacitor power for one action. If that action fails, step back power by –1. Activate an opportunity to recover.
SFX: Versatile. Replace Electrical Mastery die with 2d8 or 3d6 in your dice pool.
Limit: Mutant. Earn 1 PP when affected by mutant-specific milestones or tech.
Limit: Max Dillon IN "Because I Got Depression." Step up emotional stress by +1 and gain 1 PP.
Limit: Grounded. Gain 1 PP to shutdown Living Capacitor vs. grounding or electricity dampening attacks. Take action against the doom pool to recover the Power Set.

Crime Expert d8 / Science Expert d8 / Tech Expert d8

Ride the Lightning
1 XP when you discuss the numerous applications of your powers.
3 XP when insecurity causes you to take stress or mess something up.
10 XP when you either suffer a defeat that convinces everyone (including you) that you'll never be more than a c-lister dressed like a can of Sprite, or absolutely cut loose and annihilate something (or someone) significant with your powers.

Normal Again
1 XP when you reject any comparisons between yourself and the mutant community.
3 XP when you create an asset or complication for a mutant using your powers.
10 XP when you either get your cure from the CSA and administer it to yourself, or change your mind and embrace your nature as a mutant.

Prior to the civil war breaking out, Electro had a very bad month. He underwent a messy, shouty breakup with Moonstone, got the living daylights beaten out of him by a gender-flipped knockoff, became intimately acquainted with the unsafe nature of Washington's stairwells, and then was taken into custody. But it was only after his post-incarceration medical exam that the worst part came - his powers had been fluctuating and evolving as a result of genetic anomalies. Mutation. It was a shock. Having always assumed that his powers came from the time he was struck by lightning while gripping a live wire (look, don't question it, it made sense at the time), Electro was devastated. Already, his insecurities and self-loathing had made him a joke of a supervillain, and now he was a freak to boot.

Depressed and uncertain about the future, Electro volunteered to join the Thunderbolts (please, no jokes) and help enforce registration on one condition: that SHIELD's best geneticists get to work on creating a cure for his 'condition'. Once the war is over and he gets his cure, he's promised himself he's going straight. For real this time. No more supervillainy, and no more mutant stuff. Ironically, joining the pro-reg forces has put him on the same side as his fellow mutants in the X-Men, a situation that neither party is happy with at all.

Lemme know if I messed up anything in the setting.

vvvvvv: gotcha, thanks. Adjusted to blame recent troubles on the dreaded stairs and That Goddamned Spider-Woman.

Solomonic fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 31, 2014

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Well, one difference w/r/t Electro is that he DID actually manage to escape the Raft back in Breakout, and was only imprisoned after Spider-Woman beat the poo poo out of him and threw him down a stairwell. His first appearance in the thread is here if you want to catch up. Long story short, he got paid in gold by an anonymous buyer to have a good old fashioned rampage in the Capitol Mall and would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those meddling Avengers. Also, I'm fairly sure I established that Electro didn't know who was paying him.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Defiance Industries posted:

You just made someone very happy

YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! It's like, someone decided to submit as every character I love that I couldn't play as! BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT'S HAPPENING!

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

So I was binging through the thread if all the stark-tech stuff was shut down does that mean Misty Knights arm is shut down as well since it was built by Tony?

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Not sure if I've got my comic book timelines right here. But if I'm reading this right Hellcat just literally came back from Hell thanks to the actions of the the avengers and is still recovering from her experiences. So I've been planning to play her as kind of shell-shocked and still pretty fragile but covering it up with being sassy and sarcastic. As for introductions I figured Hank would ask her to come back to the avengers as a favour for him and that she'd do it as a way to battle her own personal demons.

pre:
Hellcat
Patricia “Patsy” Walker (Secret)

Affiliations:

Solo D6
Buddy D8
Team D10

Distinctions:
Daring Adventurer
Former Fangirl
Psychic Conditioning

Power Sets:

Been Through Hell:

Enhanced Senses d8
Magic Resistance d10
Psychic Resistance d8

SFX: Deflect. On a successful reaction against a mystical attack action, inflict stress
with your effect die. Spend 1 PP to step it up.
SFX: Immunity. Spend 1 PP to ignore stress, trauma, or complications from magic and
psychic attacks.
Limit: Sometimes It’s Too Much. Step up emotional stress caused by loss, overwhelming
responsibilities, or tragedy to gain 1 PP.

Cat Costume:

Enhanced Reflexes d8
Enhanced Stamina  d8
Enhanced Strength d8

SFX: Claws. Step back the highest die in your attack action pool to add a d6 and step
up physical stress inflicted.
SFX: Focus. If a pool includes a Cat Costume power, replace two dice of equal size with
one stepped-up die.
Limit: Wardrobe Malfunction. Shutdown Cat Costume to gain 1 PP. Take an action vs.
the doom pool to recover Cat Costume.

Specialties:
Acrobatics Expert d8
Combat Expert d8
Cosmic Expert d8
Mystic Expert d8
Psych Expert d8

Milestones
Hell and Back

1 XP when you discuss some crazy aspect of your life experience as if it is entirely
normal.
3 XP when you use Cosmic or Mystic Expert to create an asset or aid an ally during a
Transition Scene.
10 XP when you either take a drastic life choice in order to make your life more normal
or embrace the many crazy turns your life has taken and take yet another, escalating
your odd history.

Convert The Enemy
You’re sure you’ve chosen the right side. You just know that you can convince your opponents they’ve made a mistake, 
if they’ll just listen to reason! So many heroes could go either way that your persuasive efforts could make a massive difference in the war.

1 XP when you make a specific plea to another hero, in a forum that exposes you to the other side (like a live TV interview or open Avengers frequency).
3 XP when your efforts to recruit someone cause that hero to quarrel with his allies or oppose your side even more strongly.
10 XP when you directly convince an opposing hero to switch to your side, causing emotional stress or you fight a hero you’ve tried to convert and one of you stresses out the other

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
So alright, first up is T'Challa. I figure a T'Challa who isn't focused on trying to find a Queen or catering to his Queen's interests is liable to give a bigger note to the proceedings of a Superhero Civil War. Also, the sounding off of other superhero monarchs (Doctor Doom, Namor, Silver Sable) is likely to cause T'Challa to bring his voice to the table. However, since all the rest of those super-kings want to pull away from the registration law, T'Challa might see it as an opportunity to do something good: if he supports the U.S., then Wakanda can have a bigger voice in policy. With Wakandan support, the act gains more momentum. It's a win-win (if you're Pro-Reg, that is).

Anyway, I used his profile from Civil War but nixxed the "Hey what's Queen Storm want to do?" milestone and replaced it with the non "looking for a Queen guys" one from the main book. He's pretty focused on Wakanda here, and wrecking people who want to do harm to his country. The kind of outlook that might accept a deal with the devil to oppose those who have made deals with other devils (You Anti-Regs signing up with Doctor Doom....jeeeeeez)

quote:

BLACK PANTHER (T’Challa [public])
Affiliations Solo d10 Buddy d6 Team d8

Distinctions
King of Wakanda
Peerless Strategist
World-Class Intellect

Power Sets
WAKANDAN TECHNO-RAIMENT
Cybernetic Senses d6 Enhanced Durability d8
Wall-Crawling d6 Weapon d8
SFX: Ebony Blade. If your attack action pool includes a Weapon power, you may step back the highest die to add a d6 and step up the physical stress inflicted.
SFX: Energy Absorption. On a successful reaction against an energy-based action, convert your opponent’s effect die into a Wakandan Techno-Raiment stunt or step up a Wakandan Techno-Raiment power until used in an action. If your opponent’s action succeedes, spend 1 PP to use this SFX.
SFX: Mystic Armory.At the cost of creating a resource, you may step up or double Weapon or Enhanced Durability for the duration of a resource.
Limit: Gear. Shutdown a Wakandan Techno-Raiment power to gain 1 PP. Take an action vs. the doom pool to recover.

CHOSEN OF THE PANTHER GOD
Enhanced Reflexes d8 Enhanced Senses d8
Enhanced Stamina d8 Enhanced Strength d8
SFX: Focus. In a pool including a Chosen of the Panther God power, replace two dice of equal steps with one die of +1 step.
SFX: Panther Champion. Before you make an action including a Chosen of the Panther God power, move your mental and emotional stress dice to the doom pool and step up the Chosen of the Panther God power by +1 for this action.
Limit: Fit to Rule. May not spend PP when making reaction rolls during ritual or mystical combat or when facing challenges to your title.

Specialties
[You may convert Expert d8 to 2d6, or Master d10 to 2d8 or 3d6]
Acrobatic Master d10 Combat Master d10
Covert Master d10 Menace Expert d8
Science Expert d8 Tech Expert d8
Vehicles Expert d8

Milestones
PROTECT MY PEOPLE
1 XP when you declare a character—ally or enemy—as a threat to Wakanda.
3 XP when you take a major step against that threat, such as recruiting a significant ally or joining a team in order to monitor the threat.
10 XP when you eliminate the threat to Wakanda, through diplomacy or force.

SHREWD INTELLECT
1 XP when you use Science Expert to create an asset for an Action Scene.
3 XP when you utilize Wakandan technology to do physical stress to an opponent.
10 XP when you either decide to use Wakandan science to change the world for the better or take away Wakandan-made Vibranium tools and weapons that are outside of your nation’s boundaries.

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 6, 2014

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
Expressin' interest as well. Been wanting to give MHR a try for a while but haven't seen any threads recruiting lately.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Okay, just takin' a look at everyone with a sheet on the ground so far. Asking questions and making observations.

So Electro has a bit of mutant prejudice going on? Not militant, of course, but the kind of guy who totally has mutant friends so he can say mutie it's cool. Is that just his self-loathing spreading out or is there some other baggage that might need unpacking?

Excuse me but Hellcat was actually rescued by Hawkeye and the Thunderbolts in the THUNDERBOLTS 2000 ANNUAL when Helstrom tricked Hawkeye that he was actually rescuing Mockingbird instead. Application denied.

But in all seriousness, Hellcat wasn't pulled out of....well, hell all that long ago. Even for a super-heroine and historic romance comic character like her, shrugging off gladiatorial hell games and suddenly gaining psychic powers is no mean feat. And, of course, the Pro-Reg Avengers is lead by her fellow ex-Defender and best magician ever Doctor Strange. If there's anyone who knows about moving past going through literal hell, Strange would be one.

One interesting bit that may have gotten missed is that Namor has talked to Black Panther before he denounced the United States to the UN. Did T'Challa not buy into Namor's line about SARA, or is the potential of strengthening Wakanda on the world stage outweigh the Atlantean's warning? Or was the conversation between the two not about the US at all?

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mr. Maltose posted:

Okay, just takin' a look at everyone with a sheet on the ground so far. Asking questions and making observations.

One interesting bit that may have gotten missed is that Namor has talked to Black Panther before he denounced the United States to the UN. Did T'Challa not buy into Namor's line about SARA, or is the potential of strengthening Wakanda on the world stage outweigh the Atlantean's warning? Or was the conversation between the two not about the US at all?

So, T'Challa's no fool, and he knows Namor, which in part means he's well aware that the Sub-Mariner kind of has a big head about himself and his own importance (not that it's not well-earned or anything, but still...), it isn't that T'Challa doesn't have his reservations - he does, it's obvious that the brain-trust behind SARA might try something against Wakanda, but, well it's three things, really.

First of all - yeah Wakanda getting a bigger piece of the pie is a good thing. T'Challa's a good guy but he's still a King and he's got to watch out for his country. If supplying the U.S' paramilitary/superlegal superhuman policing group with some toys and letting them go after dangerous rivals keeps Wakanda out of harm's way, there's an obvious benefit beating out a cost, and it lets Wakanda move up in the world besides, rather than potentially being drawn into a conflict they aren't going to want (with the US/SHIELD).

This brings us to two: If the Pro-Reggers decide they're going to go after Wakanda, T'Challa figures he stands a better chance of being informed and being able to mount a proper defense if he already knows all the players, knows their capabilities, and more importantly, their reasoning and what they're willing to lose. This is better done by playing ball, plus that way he stands better odds of catching scent if they start scheming against him. One can never be too careful, and T'Challa knows he's sitting on an invaluable resource for both sides - Vibranium.

So Three - Maybe the Anti-Reggers have a good point. Maybe SARA is going too far, that's certainly possible. But the thing is, the Anti-Reggers are turning criminal. This all goes back to the whole "T'Challa's a monarch" thing. There's due process in the States, and most of these people are American citizens - so they know how the law works. In fact, most of these people are popular sorts who'd be able to oppose this legally and probably get it taken out in a month or two with really very little fuss. But instead they're brokering deals with certain Latvian monarchs and turning off technology that may have kept people alive. It's not a big jump from that to actual terrorism - and those sorts of people deciding "man, Wakanda's got all this neat tech that would be really helpful I need to go steal it" isn't something that's kosher to T'Challa's thinking. Sure, most of the Anti-Reggers wouldn't do that. But could one or two? Yeah. And one or two superheroes, deciding they're going to be villains if it means keeping their cool toys? That's worth stopping.

TLDR; Yeah Namor and T'Challa probably talked about it and Namor probably made a fair case but T'Challa, being pragmatic, saw a worse risk for his people in going against it OR in staying neutral than in helping the Registration out.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Not to mention reason 4: T'challa told Reed, Tony and Strange that this whole Illuminati arrangement was going to blow up in their faces, and why be smug at your house when you could be smug in theirs?

Also, is Storm actually married to T'challa but not weighing heavily on his narrative or did Marvel Universe #whatever vary here as well?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
This is a good time to remind people putting in apps that this game takes place in the universe of WHAT IF: Marvel Only Published The Cool Good Books.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mr. Maltose posted:

Not to mention reason 4: T'challa told Reed, Tony and Strange that this whole Illuminati arrangement was going to blow up in their faces, and why be smug at your house when you could be smug in theirs?

Also, is Storm actually married to T'challa but not weighing heavily on his narrative or did Marvel Universe #whatever vary here as well?

Eh, either way. I removed the T'challa-sempai romance novel milestones because it didn't really interest me, so, uhm, up to you! He can be married or a bachelor, not super picky.

Also yes, also but certainly not least Number 4. Smugging at Reed, Stark, and Strange in their faces is way better than off in Wakanda.

EDIT - Yes and also what's the big deal US just grow up jeeze.

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 1, 2014

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Well you gotta figure Wakanda being Wakanda, reporting or logging your mutation/recent encounter with magical/alien tecnology and getting a reasonable amount of paperwork or licensing from the government is just a mundane act like going to the Post Office. Sort of like how European countries don't get the brouhaha about healthcare in the US.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Thank you for that. I was afraid that I needed to go back and read a few dozen issues of stuff from years ago to be able to get stuff "right." Will put in an app in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Mr. Maltose posted:

So Electro has a bit of mutant prejudice going on? Not militant, of course, but the kind of guy who totally has mutant friends so he can say mutie it's cool. Is that just his self-loathing spreading out or is there some other baggage that might need unpacking?

Fun trivia related to that aforementioned conversation: Electro is probably the only person to say mutie in front of Magneto and live.

Unfortunately being Totally Not Racist, He Promises caused kind of an impact on his sense of identity. When you're Electro, the lows are very frequent but the highs are very high, and mostly related to incredible expenditure of electricity (seriously, he can do some amazing things when he charges up). So over time, of course, he comes to associate his powers with the (very minimal) stuff he really likes about himself - yeah, he's been in and out of Rikers so many times they've probably got a revolving door built for him, but he can throw all of Manhattan into a blackout, cause localized EM pulses, and hold his own in a fight with Thor if he has to. So for this reason, his abilities are very dear to him.

The problem comes when he finds out that the part of himself he values most wasn't just a lucky accident or something special about him, that he's actually a 'gene hazard' like the ones they dedicate entire government agencies to controlling or eradicating. After all, mutants had to deal with registration way before the metahuman community at large did. This probably seems hypocritical, seeing as he 1) has powers that are just as strange and exotic as anybody in the Brotherhood and 2) regularly fights the law (from the NYPD to SHIELD to whatever superhero's in the neighborhood), but supervillains are rarely known for being consistent in their principles, and it's not like prejudice is rooted in any kind of rational thought process.

So at least on a gut-feeling level, it's easy to see why he'd feel betrayed by something he really valued. Going so far as to want to get rid of that thing, well, that's a little kneejerk, but who knows how things could develop.

• Locked thread