Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Serperoth posted:

It was a great fun read, thanks a lot Artix and YappingEevee. Are there still plans to play other YGO games, like Duelist of the Roses or Forbidden Memories? I remember a bit of discussion early on in the thread, but nothing more concise than that.

Forbidden Memories has very little actually going on and an insane amount of grinding. Duelist of Roses would be neat to see done, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Good bye, strange game.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
Thanks Artix and YappingEevee! This thread has been fun, as I surely said before I played this game when I was younger and more obsessed with Yu-Gi-Oh, so it was fun getting to see this game through again! And getting to chat about the insane plots and characters of the manga series in between updates was a lot of fun as well!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Serperoth posted:

It was a great fun read, thanks a lot Artix and YappingEevee. Are there still plans to play other YGO games, like Duelist of the Roses or Forbidden Memories? I remember a bit of discussion early on in the thread, but nothing more concise than that.

Eh, maybe if I weren't already busy with other stuff but I'm not particularly knowledgeable about a lot of the other weird YGO games. I do actually have a copy of Duelist of the Roses, but I never got very far in it and with all my other poo poo to play, I doubt I'll ever put any serious time in it. :(

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Forbidden Memories isn't weird. It's just a really simplified card game except you can fuse cards straight from your hand with wacky fusion rules I don't think anyone has ever fully explained. But there's really only a handful of decent monsters and the grind is hellish.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
As for myself, I played a decent amount of Duelist of the Roses, a little of Forbidden Memories (where the grind is beyond awful) and quite a lot of The Dawn of Destiny on the Xbox. Despite their somewhat questionable commentary, I believe someone recently covered just about all you could want of DotR; the other YGO games would be difficult to keep interesting.

The Dawn of Destiny was pretty decent though. No story, just options to face one or three duelists in a row in order to win better cards. Unlocking more duelists as you go, etcetera. Simple mindless TCG fun if that's your sort of thing.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I played Forbidden Memories so much but I don't think I ever got very far. I enjoyed combining everything I could, so I'd just fight the same guys over and over.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Artix posted:

I also want to thank Byzantine, Hobgoblin2099, and all the other Yugioh "historians" for spicing up slower parts of the thread with bits from the manga. Without you guys, how would we have ever known how just how much of a shithead...uh, everyone in the drat YGO universe, really is?

You're welcome! And what better way to say goodbye to the thread than a bit we didn't get to?

See, in the manga, Pegasus doesn't drop Bandit Keith down a trapdoor, oh no.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Byzantine posted:

You're welcome! And what better way to say goodbye to the thread than a bit we didn't get to?

See, in the manga, Pegasus doesn't drop Bandit Keith down a trapdoor, oh no.

Oh...oh my :ohdear:. So...does that mean that whole thing with Marik possessing Bandit Keith was just filler, or...what?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Fionordequester posted:

Oh...oh my :ohdear:. So...does that mean that whole thing with Marik possessing Bandit Keith was just filler, or...what?

Just the parts with Keith and Duel Monsters. In the manga, the Duke Devlin\Dungeon Dice Monsters bit is a longer segment (and has no relation at all to Duel Monsters). Devlin's father once challenged Yugi's grandpa to a Shadow Game over ownership of the Millennium Puzzle, but lost and aged 50 years in a single night for his Penalty Game.

Seeking revenge, he opens a rival game store to put Grandpa's out of business, and trains Duke to challenge Yugi for the Puzzle again. Duke's father shatters the Puzzle during the DDM game to rattle Yugi, but with encouragement from Dark Bakura, Yugi wins anyway. So the dad flies into a rage, drags Yugi by the chain and nails it to a table to try to force him into playing the same Shadow Game the dad and grandpa once played. But when Devlin Sr tries to put the Puzzle back together, the Pharaoh attacks him. In panic, he knocks over several candles and the building starts to burn down.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Also if memory serves his dad was apparently TERRIFYING. Any veracity to these claims?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Also if memory serves his dad was apparently TERRIFYING. Any veracity to these claims?

If I remember right, it was more Devlin Sr. being an emotionally abusive and uncaring rear end in a top hat to his son than anything else; dude was loving obsessed with having his curse reversed (or, failing that, causing Solomon the same agony he went through). That being said, yeah, he was still a massively creepy rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Regalingualius posted:

If I remember right, it was more Devlin Sr. being an emotionally abusive and uncaring rear end in a top hat to his son than anything else; dude was loving obsessed with having his curse reversed (or, failing that, causing Solomon the same agony he went through). That being said, yeah, he was still a massively creepy rear end in a top hat.

As I recall, he actually realizes that he's being a total shitcock and repents (which is more than can be said of most villains, at least), but still never appears after this arc.

Then again, I'm not sure if Duke does either. His joining the core cast during Battle City might've been anime-only. I haven't read the whole manga in a while.

• Locked thread