Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

The Game

Released exclusively for the Gamecube in November 2003, The Falsebound Kingdom is one of the more experimental games in the franchise. While previous games like Dark Duel Stories and Forbidden Memories played around with the rules within the card game framework, FBK decided that no, what the franchise really needed was an RTS with a healthy side helping of RPG. It didn't prove to be the wisest of decisions. The RPG combat is slow and samey until it's completely broken in your favor, the RTS stuff is extremely boring, and god help you if you're a completionist because you're looking at no less than six complete playthroughs before you get everything this game has to offer. Unsurprisingly, reviewers weren't exactly enthusiastic about the title, and it's sitting at a 44 on Metacritic.

So why this supposedly terrible game? Because I love it. Partly because 12-year-old me was stuck with just a Gamecube and only had a couple friends to play the card game with, but looking back at it now, I can appreciate it for what it tried to do. The monsters themselves are rendered very nicely, and a ton of love went into the game, even if the end result was pretty middling. Also, it helps that the game is actually pretty challenging, especially early on. The beginning part of Kaiba's story in particular will gently caress your day up if you're not ready for it.

The LP

This will be a screenshot LP with a few supplemental videos here and there, and I will try to do as close to 100% as possible. I am not playing this game six times, but I will tackle both the campaigns and collect as many of the monsters I can within reason. I say within reason, because like I said before, this game does some ludicrous poo poo with regards to collecting all the monsters, and I'll show the really retarded ones off in Challenge mode instead.

Yapping Eevee and I are collaborating on this one, and he'll be in bold-speak. I'm still a little rusty for not having played the game in years, and he remembers it much better than I do.

Spoiler Rules

If you know anything about Yu-Gi-Oh at all, you can probably guess most of the major plot points that are going to come up already, so just keep it under spoiler tags, I don't really care. The game pulls a lot of characters from the show, but not all of them act quite like you'd expect, and part of the fun is seeing who acts exactly like their canon self, and who does a complete 180. The one thing I do ask is that you don't talk about monsters until we've either seen them (whether that's by recruiting them or by seeing an enemy with one) or it's very obvious that they're present (like Gate Guardian, since we recruit Sanga of the Thunder).

Great, a Yu-Gi-Oh thread! Let me go dust of my hilarious Abridged Series jokes and-

No. Just don't even go there. They were funny once - the very first time you heard them. Any Abridged Series joke you can make at this point has been said many times over, and was funnier than what you were going to say anyway.

Updates

Yugi's Story
Intro/Backstory
War Campaign
Fury of the Empire
Strategy
Battle for Tsughut
Turbulent Waters
Badlands
Crucial Battle
Refugees
Break Free
Counterattack
Spellcaster
Phantom Blast
For that Someone Special
Scorched
Betrayed
A Lost Cause
Secret Power
Face Off
Banishment
Hallowed Land of Ishtar
Dream World
Dark Spirit

Yugi's Misadventures in New Game Plus
War Campaign
Fury of the Empire - Badlands
Crucial Battle - Counterattack
Spellcaster - Betrayed
A Lost Cause - Banishment
Hallowed Land of Ishtar - Dark Spirit

Kaiba's Story
Intro
Hand of Fire
Bandits
Surrounded
Framed
Lord of the Forest
Lord of the Plains
Sever the Supply Line
Full-Scale Offensive
Crucial Battle
Aid From Afar
Going the Distance
Raid
Bandits, Again
Dragon's Lair
Guidance
Surprise Attack
Face-Off
Banishment
Hallowed Land of Ishtar
Dream World - Dark Spirit

Joey's Story
Intro
Raid
Outnumbered?
Quick Attack
Pursuit
Minion of Darkness
Thrashing
Reversal
Master Plan
Imposter
Invincible Imperial Guard
Odds and Ends/Final Wrap-up

Misc Stuff
The Big Ol' Mechanics Post
Challenge Mode
Challenge Mode - Team Friendship
Challenge Mode - Super Hard Mode

Artix fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
The SA Falsebound Kingdom Safari (and Clairvoyance Test)

While you'll get a decent amount of monsters just from simply playing the game, the real meat of party-building is to hunt down all the roaming monsters. However, Falsebound Kingdom hates you, so if you're playing through without a guide, you're likely to only ever find two of them: the gimmes that you basically can't miss at the start of Yugi and Kaiba's campaigns. The remainder of them will require you to send people out into the middle of nowhere with absolutely no indication that there is anything there, and sometimes it'll go a step further and demand you send a specific person out there, or else it'll act like there's nothing there. As early as Chapter 3, the game will start assuming that you're psychic and expect you to just know that not only is there a character-specific monster, but where it is and who that character is. But surely with the magic of crowdsourcing, we can beat FBK at its own game, right?

The Game

After we get any votes for the chapter out of the way, I will post a map of the next chapter. Your task as a participant is very simple - just mark on the map where you think the roaming monster is. Like so. The closest person (or people, if multiple people guess the same location) gets a point, and you can gain bonus points by correctly guessing any conditions the monster might have attached to it (like Character-exclusive, etc). I will also occasionally drop hints if the map has something completely out of the ordinary that you could never figure out on your own, like "This map has multiple monsters", but don't expect too many. After all, the game doesn't give you any hints, and I'm going to try and preserve that experience.

Most maps will be given a standard set of conditions. If I don't specify anything special about the map, the following should be assumed:

- There may or may not be a roaming monster on the map.
- If there is is a monster, it is not a result of clearing the map by achieving the win condition, but a monster gotten this way does count toward the monster total.
- Monsters found by liberating places other than the enemy main base are fair game.

The Rules

1) I will take only your first submission. If you go back and edit it after seeing someone else's map and/or reasoning, you're disqualified for the round.

2) You may mark as many spots on the map as you think there are monsters to find. So if you think there are two monsters, then you can put down two spots on the map. However, I will start judging by removing any maps that have an incorrect amount of monsters. If no one is sufficiently close, I'll move up to the next closest number.

Example: Poster A marks a map for two monsters, and Poster B marks it for three. The map actually only has one monster, so I look at all the one-monster maps first. If I don't feel that any of them are close enough to give them the point, I'll look at A's map. Poster B might have the correct location marked, but he gets the lowest priority because he marked three locations compared to A's two and everyone else's one.

2a) If there are multiple monsters to find on a map, they will be counted individually. I will still start by looking only at the maps with the correct number of monsters, but just because you got Monster A's location wrong doesn't mean you can't get a point if Monster B's location is right.

3) If you're feeling lucky, you can mark the monster as having a special condition (such as "character-exclusive"). You do not have to specify who has to recruit them, simply that they are. If you are correct, you will get a bonus point. If you are wrong, you can still get the point for guessing where the monster is correctly, but you get lower priority than the people who guess correctly and do not specify a condition.

Example: Poster A and Poster B both mark a monster's location correctly, but Poster B specifies it as character-exclusive. If it is character-exclusive, both A and B will get a point for the location, and B will get a bonus point for the condition. If it is not, then Poster A will get a point for location, and Poster B will get nothing. If we have the same situation but Poster A has the wrong location, then Poster A gets nothing because they were wrong, and Poster B will get one point (for location).

3a) Special conditions must be specified if you choose to guess one. Monster-exclusives are different from Character-exclusives, and choosing the incorrect condition (assuming there is one) will lead to the usual priority penalty.

4) There will be levels where you get a monster from clearing the level, but there are no actual roaming monsters. For these maps only, "No roaming monsters" will be treated as the correct answer, but you may mark the enemy HQ for a chance at a bonus point. If you mark it and are incorrect, the same priority penalty will apply as in Rule 3. In all other maps, the monster you get for clearing the level does not count, as per the standard conditions.

5) Broadly speaking, if you've played the game before you can't participate in the contest. It's not fair to everyone else who's going in blind. If you really don't remember, or never played Yugi/Kaiba's campaign I'll let it slide, but if you remember where something is, don't join in for that round. I'm going to trust you guys to police yourselves on that front, but I reserve the right to disqualify anyone I think that has played the game before or is pulling the answer off GameFAQs.

6) Following Rule 5, if you have played the game before, don't give any hints. Seriously, the whole point of this is to try and find everything in the equivalent of playing the game completely blind. The only hints I should see are the ones I give.

7) Anyone not actually trying (voting "No monsters" every single map, constantly copying someone else's vote, etc.) will be ignored and disqualified.

8) I reserve the right to change and interpret these rules as I see fit. This means I can and will do things like only awarding bonus points and ignoring the main point if everyone gets it correct.

At the end of the LP, the top three scorers will get a forums upgrade of their choice. Best of luck to everyone!

The Safari is over. Thanks for playing!

The Scoreboard
Blue Ghost - 30
GeneralYeti - 25
Level Seven - 17
fool_of_sound - 7
Gensuki - 6
Happy Blue - 6
Silver Falcon - 4
alcharagia - 4
BlazeDragon - 4
Ramos - 3
Hyperman1992 - 2
Minus Green - 2
sirtommygunn - 1
Bruceski - 1
pyrrhickong - 1
Regalingualius - 1
GodofDiscord - 1
Albis09 - 1
GrizzlyCow - 1
Hobgoblin2099 - 1
Alacron - 1
Bufuman - 1
dis astranagant - 1
Nihilarian - 1

Artix fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 25, 2014

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

After nagivating the harrowing menu options under New Game, we get to choose our hero. Both Yugi and Kaiba have a completely exclusive set of story missions, characters, and recruitable monsters, but Kaiba's story is less heavy on the tutorial exposition and harder as a whole, so you're more or less intended to play through Yugi's story first, which is what we'll be doing.

And we get welcomed to Yugi's story by Slifer the Sky Dragon doing his thing. Kaiba's is likewise opened by Obelisk the Tormentor (the big blue guy in the center). It's a nice little touch, I think.

SIC Domino Labs. Yeah, this looks like the place.

It's pretty far from the city. There's nothing else here.

Doesn't the building look futuristic? SIC is a famous overseas game company, isn't it?

It's a new game company that just started here in Japan, but it's already becoming a major player. Although it's relatively new, it's gotten pretty big by releasing a bunch of innovative games. They've been using 3D images and virtual reality research to create some amazingly lifelike environments.

It sounds a lot like what Kaiba's company does.

According to this invitation, they're doing exactly the same kind of work as Kaiba Corporation. "SIC has incorporated cutting-edge technologies to develop next generation virtual reality technology. SIC hopes to work in the field of games to perfect this technology using the wildly popular Duel Monsters. SIC plans to further develop the technology through gameplay." Their technological goals may be scientific, but if they're using Duel Monsters, I want to get a look at it!

Me too. This is so exciting. But why did they send invitations to us?

I think they sent invitations to everyone that ranked well at the Duelist Kingdom and Battle City tournaments. "In order to test the new Duel Simulator 'Kingdom', SIC is sponsoring a test trial. We respectfully ask for your assistance in helping us make 'Kingdom' the best game it can be." It also says to bring friends if you want. Naturally, I thought of you guys right away!

Just so we're all clear, I'm here because I did so well in the tournaments.

Oh yeah? Then where's your invitation?

They must have sent it to the wrong address!

Yeah, sure. At least we know Yugi is here as a finalist.

That's it! Come on, Tristan! I'll take you, right here and now!

Stop it, both of you! This is no time to fight! Look, there's someone from the lab waiting for us. Let's get going.

Right, so let's meet our little assortment of friends. He of the supreme anime hair is Yugi Muto, and our main protagonist this time around. The mess of blonde hair is Joey Wheeler, the one with lavender hair is Ryo Bakura, Captain Generic is Tristan Taylor, and totally-not-a-love-interest is Tea Gardener.

Also, for the whole two of you who give a poo poo about Yu-Gi-Oh canon, this takes places right after the Battle City tournament, which should give you a rough idea of what monsters we can expect to see.

Uh-huh. That's me. And these are my friends...

Wonderful. Let's all go inside, shall we?

(I think so, but all of the people of Kaiba Corporation give off the same kind of weird vibe...)

You are correct. I did work for Kaiba Corporation.

Geez! He heard us.

We're almost at the main lab.

This is SIC's latest simulator. Code name: "Kingdom". This is just a prototype. We're only using the Duel Disk for packaging reasons. It's all original SIC hardware on the inside.

Is this what you use to recreate the world of Duel Monsters?

Yes. Our tests of "Kingdom" have been very successful so far. We've constructed an entire fantasy world based on Duel Monsters. We'd like you to help us test the simulator by simply playing the game as you normally would. The simulator supports multiple players, so you will all be able to play at the same time. In a multiplayer game, everyone joins the game as a different character.

It sounds like a network game or something.

These new games are so awesome.

"Kingdom" is a fantasy world. The card game monsters there are alive. You will all join the resistance and fight against the Empire, which is suppressing the general population. Of course, you'll all participate in the game as different characters. The game is currently set for a few hours and we'll be recording your play data from here.

Cool! Well, what're waiting for? Let's play!

Yeah!

So here's the grand setup for the plot: We're playing an MMORPG. Certainly, MMOs were nothing new in 2003 (see: Everquest, Ultima Online), but we were still a year or two away from the behemoth that is World of Warcraft, so it was at least kind of novel, and not only did it beat Star Ocean to the punch on that particular plot point, it handled it much more gracefully.

...Yugi... Does this seem on the level to you?

Huh? What do you mean?

This whole simulator seems suspicious.

You're probably just overreacting. Ah! It's about to start!

And finally, we have Yugi's alter ego, Yami Yugi. The Pharaoh Atem had his soul sealed inside the Millennium Puzzle, and once Yugi solved it, he comes out occasionally to possess regular Yugi and make him a hyper-competent badass. The manga gave him a murderous streak for good measure, but that was significantly toned down for the english releases.

...Empire. The people suffer oppression, but their complaints have fallen on deaf ears. Haysheen and a select group of his underlilngs have been living in the lap of luxury. Their lavish lifestyle is supported by heavy taxation, which has pushed most of the populace to the brink.

People on the fringes of the Empire have responded with rebellion and revolt. This uprising has extended as far as the northern part of the Empire on Vaxi Island.

I don't know, but I've got a really bad feeling about this.

SAFETY LOCK ENGAGED. BEGINNING TRANSITION TO MODE-2.

KINGDOM SIMULATOR LOCK-IN MODE ACTIVATED

What's happening?! UWAAAHH!

... ... gi... ...
... ... ... Yugi... ....
... ... happened? ... ... Lord Yugi... ...
Lord Yugi! Wake up, please! Lord Yugi!

You seem to be coming out of it.

Where am I?

Huh? You're in the port city of Makhad on the western edge of Vaxi Island. You lost consciousness suddenly. You just passed out, right in the middle of our meeting. Don't you remember?

Remember what?

You appear to be suffering from memory loss. Let me explain everything as quickly as I can. Your name is Yugi. You're the leader of the resistance here in Makhad. We were planning our next attack when you passed out. We've tricked the imperial forces into splitting up, and Etos, the ruler of these lands, is left with few guards. It was the perfect chance for us to break the Emperor's repressive hold, and we're just about ready to attack! Is any of this coming back to you? Anything at all?

No, none of it. I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. But it sounds like I'm expected to take command of the resistance.

That is correct, Lord Yugi. You are, after all, supreme commander of the resistance. Without you, we don't even have enough marshals. You must lead on the front lines.

Marshal?

Oh dear! Have you forgotten everything? Marshals are a type of general and are central to a battle. Marshals can control monsters and engage in battle by pitting their monsters against those of the enemy. Each monster has incredibly power. Power equal to that of several thousand human soldiers. This is why the marshals hold the key to victory in any battle. However, the number of men with this power over monsters is small. Including you, the resistance has but three.

So you're telling me that I have this special marshal ability?

You have it in spades, sir. Although I'm afraid that your powers might be weaker in your current state. You will just have to get it back slowly in battle. In the beginning, I will assist your recovery. Remember that imperial units usually have a marshal assigned to them as well. You will need to get your battle instincts back if you're going to defeat the imperial marshals. For the time being, we need to finish planning our strategy and organize our units. Come this way.

Now that he's done tutorializing our ears off, this fine gentleman is Shimon. It was nice of him to fill us in on some of the lore details and backstory, but I'll be taking over the tutorials from here, chief.

I know. It doesn't feel like we have any control over the game.

I think it's safe to assume that we're trapped in this fantasy game world. They must have planned on using us as their lab rats from the beginning.

I wonder if the rest of our friends are here too?

It's likely. They're probably all just as confused by whatever character roles they've been thrown into as well.

We've got to find a way out of here.

I don't know how much of what the SIC techies told us is true, but they did say that this is a game.

Uh-huh...

Then it's got to have an ending, right? Maybe if we play the game and clear all the levels...

It'll lead to a way out! That makes sense! With a little help from the rest of our friends, we're sure to find a way home.

That seems to be our best bet for now.

That's...not exactly how MMOs work, Yugi. But it's as good of a start as any, so we'll briefly go over how the gameplay actually works and tackle the first mission.

Artix fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 9, 2013

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

This is Makhad, where we are right now.

And this is the target of our next battle. We're going to liberate the rest of Vaxi Island.

In order to do that, we've got to take control of Tsughut, the provincial capital to the East.

I see...

Tsughut is a large castle in the northern section. It's well defended and houses a large fighting force. We won't stand a chance if we attack head-on. First, we've got to get them to divide up their force. We should be able to lure some units away from the capital by liberating nearby lands. We've already managed to thin out the defenses at Makhad, so let's attack in force and take our first victory!

Okay. What should I do?

You will direct your marshals on the field of battle and attack the enemy main base, Lord Yugi. I'm certainly not as strong as you, but I will also command a team of monsters and assist you. Just remember that none of the other marshals are nearly as powerful as you are. We depend heavily on you. Your success on the battlefield is the key to the success of the resistance.

Read: If Yugi dies, it's a game over.

It’s also quite literal. Yugi is a much better marshal than the others you start off with, both in bases and growths.

There are many other details to plan. Let's start with organzing our units for the difficult battle ahead.

Going to cut you off there, Shimon, because now it's time to talk actual gameplay.

Right, so there will be a huge mechanics post filled with :words: about how to read all this poo poo, but for now, all we really need to know is that marshals marked in red are force-deployed, and if we wanted to, we could bring our third marshal along as well. Which we will, because you can never have too much firepower this early in the game. Also, for what it's worth, Yugi is always force deployed.

There’s a certain time vs. money debate to be had here, but that can wait until later. Probably next mission.

This is Yugi's default team, and the only change I make is switching the Feral Imp on the left with the Celtic Guardian in the center. Again, I'll explain why in the big ol' mechanics post.

Like so.

It’s nice to see Yugi using three of his signature monsters from Duelist Kingdom here.

I also shuffle Shimon's monsters around so that the Beaver Warrior is his leader.

Fizdis is our third marshal, and her team is fine for now. With our preparations done, let's get this show on the road.

Penguin Soldier! :3: Weak, but adorable.

As you can see, there are four villages, including the enemy main base as Makhad and our base at Jakhud. Thanks to our earlier planning, the main enemy force is much smaller than it once was, and is not massed nearby.

First, let's send someone to free the village of Ruthum. It's not very far from Jakhud.

As we free the nearby villages from repressive imperial rule, they will offer us items and money. We need both these things to help build our force, so we should try to free as many places as possible.

Okay, that's enough Shimon.

At least the tutorial material is mostly confined to the intro and first mission, with just a sprinkling on our next few outings.

Right, so let's get started. This is going to be what 90% of the objective screens look like: Win by capturing the enemy HQ, lose if Yugi dies or the friendly HQ falls.

Now, the RTS part of the equation. In 3D mode, the game controls more or less exactly like you'd expect a console RTS to. Our little cursor can be used to check out towns, select units, and do pretty much anything you'd expect a cursor to do.

Fans of Ogre Battle 64 may find the gameplay here particularly familiar. Exceedingly so, even.

There's also Icon mode, which is great if you're a fan of the more hands-off approach. You can very quickly check out your teams and where they are (as well as the same for the enemy teams), and quickly select a team to head to a different town or castle. Its main downside is that you can only select other fortifications: If you want to send someone off into the middle of nowhere (and you will need to do that before the game is over :suicide:), you're going to have to go to 3D mode for that.

You also cannot see the definition of any special abilities a marshal has while in Icon mode, for some odd reason. (Again, see the forthcoming mechanics post.)

For once, Shimon doesn't have a terrible idea, so we'll send Fizdis up to Ruthum.

Also, this game has a lot of flavor text. Every single city in the game has a (somewhat) unique description, monsters all have uniquely named attacks, etc. It's one of the things I really like about it. Also, note the "Subjugated" rating in the top-right corner. The more hearts that a fortification has, the faster monsters will heal when they're in that fortification.

Just for comparison, this is Ruthum, where Fizdis is heading. As you can see, it's set to "Cooperation" instead of "Subjugated", so Fizdis will heal slower over time than she would in our main base. There is no way to raise these ratings, unfortunately.

The difference in healing speed is actually reasonably noticable, but it shouldn’t make or break you to spend time in less co-operative towns.

And about 30 seconds later, Fizdis has arrived in Ruthum and we get a little gold for the trouble.

We successfully freed Ruthum!

That's not very impressive Shimon, it wasn't even guarded. :colbert:

We now have two footholds in the area. We're in better shape than the enemy now. But news of our attack has probably reached the main base at Makhad. I've just gotten word from spies that there is troop movement at Makhad. They will be headed here shortly. We can either build up our defenses and prepare for the attack, or try to free another village. What would you like to do? It is much easier to meet an enemy from a village or castle than in the open fields.

And right on cue, an enemy has emerged from Makhad, heading for Ruthum. Fizdis isn't in any hurry to go anywhere, so she'll wait for him there.

I should point out that this particular scripted event will sometimes fail to trigger. It’s the only one in the entire game that suffers this flaw, but it’s worth pointing out (since it means you have to fight this enemy in their base, so they get a stat bonus instead of you). :(

In the meantime, let's send Shimon down to Phedon.

He arrives just ahead of the enemy at Ruthum.

He goes on to talk about how battle works, but I can do that better.

Let's do this. :black101:

...And everyone lines up for some nice, proper, turn-based combat.

This is where the game really shines: the monster models and their animations.

Right, so combat is a mostly straightforward affair. Everyone lines up, does stuff until everyone's out of AP (the stars), and then the game assigns a winner based on a score that accumulates during the fight. Turn order is more or less random, and this can lead to things like one side (or hell, one monster) getting several turns in a row which is pretty hilarious, even when it happens to you.

Combat seems to be in FFI style, where everyone gets one action per round... except that turn order within the round is indeed rather erratic, so one monster can go last in one and first in the next, thus getting two turns back-to-back.

For the bulk of the game, you'll be choosing "Attack" followed by whatever enemy has the least HP. Or at least, that's how I play it. The less AP the enemy has to make use of, the easier it is to keep winning against them. Going with that, we'll be unloading on the Larvae Moth in this fight.

This is indeed a good general strategy, barring those moments where there’s one target that absolutely has to die before it wrecks you, or the low-HP monsters are so bad as to be complete non-threats. Use your best judgment, basically.

And the Penguin Soldier opens up with a critical. This is good, because crits give us bonus points on top of the additional damage.

After a couple hits, the Larvae Moth goes down, and we move on to attacking the Zarigun (the lobster).

Here's where we stand, at the end of round one.

As you can see, we vastly outperformed him in this fight. We had more actions, we got a crit, and we killed one of his monsters.

Of course, it is possible to still win a clash despite having less points, should you finish off the entire enemy team. Situations where this would be relevant are few and far between.

And after each fight, we get some experience based on how well we did. Not too bad a haul for only killing one really weak monster.

This is one of the main advantages to fighting in a town. Regardless of win or lose, the attacking team gets pushed back, and if they lost the fight, they get a five second penalty where they're stuck there on top of it. If we had fought out in the field, we'd have switched positions after the fight instead (and then they'd get the five second penalty for losing).

This position switching can be turned off on the options menu, but that has its own problems. If you switch places, the enemy gets past you and can continue to wherever you left from... But if you don’t switch, they’re liable to walk straight into you for a second battle.

While Fizdis deals with the grunt, Yugi and Shimon start heading for Makhad.

Round two doesn't go much better for our friend.

We also get our first level ups. :toot:

Stat gains from levelling up are slightly randomised (aside from when you gain more actions), but good luck with save-scumming any of them. It really won’t make a difference.

And he goes down for good in the third round. He's not out of our hair permanently - after a while he'll respawn with all of his monsters at half health, but that takes a long time and we'll be done with this mission well before that happens.

And we finish him off just in time for Yugi to run into my most hated absolute favorite feature in the game.

Roaming monsters.

Hello again, OB64 comparison.

Every so often, you'll run into monsters in the wild. They show up, have a quick fight with you, and if you win, they join your army.

This one's a 3-on-1, so it's a bit of a joke.

:what:

With eyes that size, you’d expect better aim.

Fortunately, despite Kuriboh's untimely miss, we're still going to win unless the Silver Fang pulls a crit out of his rear end.

:toot:

Barring that little surprise, Yugi and Shimon arrive at Makhad at about the same time.

You cannot defeat an enemy in its main base, a town, or castle simply by fighting better than them. You must force the enemy to flee or defeat all of the enemy's monsters in order to win.

This is also good advice. As we abused with Fizdis earlier, being inside the castle means that even if you win the fight, you're just going to get pushed back a bit and be forced to attack again. Since the AI will never flee from battle, you always have to conquer castles by murdering the entire enemy team.

You insolent runt! Just who do you think you are? Guards! Where are my guards!

You're the only one left now. Prepare for the end!

WHAAH! Traitors! How dare you revolt against the empire! I'll take some of you with me before I'm done!

It's showtime. :black101:

Etos's team isn't particularly dangerous, but he's only the first boss. The only thing you really need to watch out for is his Blackland Fire Dragon, which can knock off about 180 damage a pop. Fortunately, he only has 2 AP, so we only have to weather two shots from it.

As usual, we start with the weakest enemies, because they usually happen to also be the monsters that have the most AP. Swordsman from a Foreign Land is first on the chopping block, followed by the Basic Insect before we tackle the dragon.

GODDAMMIT KURIBOH YOU HAVE SHAMED ME FOR THE LAST TIME

THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT

His day will come. Just you wait...

While Yugi is stuck in the stun for losing, Shimon tags in to take a crack at Etos.

He fares quite a bit better, killing the Basic Insect and putting the Dragon in knockout range for Yugi.

You're dead next turn, Kuriboh. He's going to go after this attack and barbeque your sorry rear end. And you'll deserve it. :colbert:

Goddammit!

[b]:smug:[/b]

Our spoils for finishing Etos.

It’s not too often that you’ll go through a mission without finding at least one new monster, even if it’s just as the end reward.

A splendid first victory, Lord Yugi. Our actions here have stirred the people in these lands to fight back against the Empire. The noble families in the area are offering to assist us financially. If we continue to win like this, the resistance should grow nicely. The Empire is confused right now, but it's only temporary. They'll soon send units to hunt us down. Let's take this opportunity to secure our positions and fight off the enemy! Now, it's time for you to make an appearance, Lord Yugi. The people want to meet their savior!

You might have noticed the time bar in the upper right during the mission. By clearing it before the timer ran out, we get some extra gold and better loot at the end. And that's it for Mission 1!

See you next time, as the rebel army marches onward!

------

Bonus Stuff:

Chapter 1 Animations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oGU_dxIR2E

Music - Battle Theme, Yugi's Campaign

Flavor Text

Jakhud - This is a port city on the island of Vaxi. The main base of the resistance is located here.

Ruthum - This is a prosperous agricultural village. There are many here who support the resistance.

Phedon - This is a prosperous timber town. There are many here who support the resistance.

Makhad - This is the main castle in Makhad. Its ruler, Governor Etos, is infamous for his cruelty and greed.

Artix fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 8, 2013

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
I played this game as a kid and I loved it. My disc is pretty badly scratched so I don't know if it'll even work anymore.

I don't really remember much about it except that running away from people faster than you always ends in tragedy. I'm not even sure if movespeed varied between monsters/characters (I think it did) and I didn't just make that up.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

And here I thought that Duelist of the Roses was the most detatched Yugioh game.

Does this game ever stop being Ogre battle 64 with Yugioh characters? Not that that's necesarily a bad thing.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Oh cool. I saw an LP of this game somewhere else and it was really interesting. I'm looking forward to this.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Artix posted:

nd finally, we have Yugi's alter ego, Yami Yugi. The Pharaoh Atem had his soul sealed inside the Millennium Puzzle, and once Yugi solved it, he comes out occasionally to possess regular Yugi and make him a hyper-competent badass. The manga gave him a murderous streak for good measure, but that was significantly toned down for the english releases.

Thank you for this succinct explanation. I was always confused as all gently caress the few times I watched this show as to why Yugi's voice suddenly dropped a couple octaves and his hair got all crazy. (And I was too lazy to go and look it up!)

The whole "trapped in a game world" reminds me of a book I read called "Rodemonte's Revenge" (Gary Paulsen. I'm sure you fellow children of the 90's read some of his stuff). Still, ol' Rodemonte didn't have magical fantasy monsters to call upon!

Jynxite
May 1, 2013
I still have this game in the other room! I never played through Yugi's campaign, though; I only did Kaiba's, so I'll be really interested in seeing how this plays out.
That being said, do you already have an endgame team you're going to be going for, or are you just going to stick with what you have? I remember getting Aqua Madoor and never letting go, because I just found it incredibly useful, and I have a bit of a preference for Spellcasters, especially ones with high defense.
I find it comical how worried Fizdis looks; it's as though she's seen the phantom of an Egyptian pharoh take over the body of a prepubescent teenage boy!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

The whole "trapped in a game world" reminds me of a book I read called "Rodemonte's Revenge" (Gary Paulsen. I'm sure you fellow children of the 90's read some of his stuff). Still, ol' Rodemonte didn't have magical fantasy monsters to call upon!

Getting trapped in a virtual game world playing children's card games is a pretty common occurrence in the Yugioh-verse. From my memories as a kid, they get stuck in two different ones with Yugi's arc alone, along with this time in this game, and if I were to take a guess, it happens a few more times.

To be fair, getting stuck in the digital world was the coolest part of the show to me as a kid since modern day was a pretty boring setting compared the wacky stuff that happened in the game worlds.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Artix posted:

Also, for the whole two of you who give a poo poo about Yu-Gi-Oh canon, this takes places right after the Battle City tournament, which should give you a rough idea of what monsters we can expect to see.
I am absolutely one of those two people, by the way. Mainly for reasons related to Joey's love interest. :smith:

I really do hope people enjoy this LP. It's a fun game, if you can deal with its flaws.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I played the hell out of this game as a kid, so I'll be following this. Already in update one I see something I didn't even know about, the roaming monsters being common. I remember it happening a single time to me in Kaiba's campaign and then never again.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Yes!

One of my favorite games of all times :allears:

This is gonna be amazing.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is it weird to experience nostalgia over Yu-gi-oh? Cause that's what I'm doing right now. But man this game kicked my rear end. That's what you get for not understand all the mechanics. That said, I really adore the games that put a spin on the card game. This and Duelist of the Roses were fantastic.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
I guess Shimon was the the inspiration for that guy from Duelists of the Roses? Certainly looks like they reused the character design.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Momomo posted:

I played the hell out of this game as a kid, so I'll be following this. Already in update one I see something I didn't even know about, the roaming monsters being common. I remember it happening a single time to me in Kaiba's campaign and then never again.

The one in Kaiba's first mission? Believe me, there's a reason that was the only one you saw, because just like Silver Fang, it's basically impossible to miss. You'll see what passes for roaming monsters in the rest of the game in Mission 3.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MelvinBison posted:

I guess Shimon was the the inspiration for that guy from Duelists of the Roses? Certainly looks like they reused the character design.

I think he's from farther back. He was in Forbidden Memories if I remember correctly.

free basket of chips fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 3, 2013

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Artix posted:

The one in Kaiba's first mission? Believe me, there's a reason that was the only one you saw, because just like Silver Fang, it's basically impossible to miss. You'll see what passes for roaming monsters in the rest of the game in Mission 3.

I don't think it was in the first mission, actually. If I got that one, I don't remember it. The one I'm thinking of was in some nighttime level and the guy got pissed off you didn't greet him... or something. This game is kind of weird at times.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Momomo posted:

The one I'm thinking of was in some nighttime level and the guy got pissed off you didn't greet him... or something.
...Oh! That one!

It's sad, but I know exactly which one you must mean. :sweatdrop:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

This is one of those games I got as a child beacuse I loved everything yu-gi-oh. It's the only one I don't remember anything about beacuse I got stuck super early on.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Momomo posted:

I don't think it was in the first mission, actually. If I got that one, I don't remember it. The one I'm thinking of was in some nighttime level and the guy got pissed off you didn't greet him... or something. This game is kind of weird at times.

That's later in Yugi's story, actually. And yes, that's exactly how it goes too. poo poo does indeed get weird in this game.

Jynxite posted:

That being said, do you already have an endgame team you're going to be going for, or are you just going to stick with what you have? I remember getting Aqua Madoor and never letting go, because I just found it incredibly useful, and I have a bit of a preference for Spellcasters, especially ones with high defense.

I have teams in mind, but not set in stone yet. You'll see how I plan on doing teams in a bit.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I remember most of the roaming monsters to actually be between 2 fortifications? Not necessarily between two fortifications you'd ever want to move between but, still between two towns?

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
Oh boy, I played this game so much! It also has a special place in my heart of trying something rather neat with the whole trading card game thing. I think it was the first RTS/Strategy game I ever played, too. I remember that I drew basically all the maps in the game and labeled them with the proper names and everything...man I had a lot of time on my hands back then.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Hmm, I heard of this but have never seen it before. I'll be watching this.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I love this game. Got it for the cards when it came out and wound up 100%ing it (gently caress MC, those of you who played the game know what I mean), then I picked it up senior year of high school when I was bored, and 100%ed it again. I forgot how much fun it was!

Yapping Eevee posted:

I am absolutely one of those two people, by the way. Mainly for reasons related to Joey's love interest. :smith:

And I am one as well. I like card battle animes enough to have started the thread for it in ADTRW.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
My friend had this game when I was a kid! Never played it, don't even remember seeing him play it so I didn't know it was an RTS/RPG, I just remember seeing its box and going "cool!" since, well, Saturday morning cartoons and collectible card games.

Also, you must take that Kuriboh to endgame. That final crit is some Heart of the Cards level poo poo.

Yapping Eevee posted:

I really do hope people enjoy this LP. It's a fun game, if you can deal with its flaws.

Joey had a love interest? (I suppose he deserved one. Joey was a bro. I think. Mostly running off nostalgic impressions even though I don't remember half the poo poo I watched when I was younger.)

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Senerio posted:

I love this game. Got it for the cards when it came out and wound up 100%ing it (gently caress MC, those of you who played the game know what I mean), then I picked it up senior year of high school when I was bored, and 100%ed it again. I forgot how much fun it was!

Oh my god, you poor soul. :stare:

Gensuki posted:

I remember most of the roaming monsters to actually be between 2 fortifications? Not necessarily between two fortifications you'd ever want to move between but, still between two towns?

Eh...some of them, yeah. But we can have this discussion after Mission 3 when we have a much better idea of what FBK thinks is reasonable to expect your players to do.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

booksnake posted:

Joey had a love interest?

Ms. Valentine

Artix posted:

Oh my god, you poor soul. :stare:

I had fun with the game (except, again, that one recruitment). I didn't level everyone to max or do that battle mode all the way through. I just got every monster.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
What follows is a large amount of :words: and :spergin: that is entirely unnecessary for you to enjoy this LP. But goddammit, they included these mechanics and I'm going to loving explain them. If I missed anything or got something wrong, feel free to point it out so I can correct it.

We'll start with the preparations screen:

In addition to the deployment limits imposed, each monster costs a certain amount of gold to bring into battle, depending on their natural strength and level; a Dark Magician costs more than a Shadow Specter, and a L99 monster costs more than a L5 one. As of right now, Yugi and Shimon's combined monsters will cost us 242G to deploy, which will be subtracted from our initial gold supply. Essentially, we make a trade-off between having more people capable of fighting, and having more gold to play around with in the mission.

Next, we'll take a look at the status window to the left. At the very top, we have the marshal's name and their current level. Moving down we have the Battle Points (BP), Life Points (LP), and Action Points (AP) display. Each marshal is rated from 1-10 in all three areas, and this will influence what kind of stats a monster gets when it levels up. Shimon, for example, only has 1 BP compared to Yugi's 2, so if he and Yugi both had the same monster, after a few levels, Yugi's monster would be stronger than Shimon's even though they both had the same starting stats.

Just to the right of the the AP display is a colored orb. Every marshal and monster each have a colored orb, and as they fight together, the monsters' orbs will slowly change color to match the marshal's (and vice versa, but it's a much slower process than the monster orbs changing). When the orb colors match (or are at least pretty close), the monster gets some bonuses in combat.

I hadn’t heard about the marshal stats affecting a monster’s level-ups, but it sounds like something that might happen. They certainly determine how large the same-compatibility bonuses are, though.

That’s quite possible, I fully admit I’m a bit rusty. I don’t recall it being a significant influence, just another one of the seventeen bajillion side mechanics in the game.

Anyway, continuing down, we have the marshal ability. Not every marshal has one, but these abilities give various effects both in and out of battle. A full list is at the end of the post.

Finally, at the very bottom we have the marshal's team, each monsters' current level, and the amount of HP they currently have.

Now for part two!

Moving on, by selecting a marshal we can change around the team in various ways. We'll start with the status screen. At the top, we have the monster name and its movement type. Monsters are divided into one of three groups: (F)lying, (W)alking, and (S)wimming. Flying monsters move at a fixed speed and ignore terrain, Swimming monsters move quickly through water, but relatively slowly on land, and Walking monsters vary based on the monster itself and the terrain. This will be very important much later on, but for now it's a nice bonus if we match up with the terrain well. It's important to note that the center monster of the team is considered the team leader, so whatever its movement type, speed, and area of influence are, the entire team is stuck with it.

Having a particularly good movement speed can be a strong argument for using otherwise-lacklustre monsters. There are... five monsters I can think of with truly exceptional speed.

After that, we have the monster's stats. The heart obviously represents how much HP they have, the Sword is their Attack stat, the Shield their Defense, and the number of stars is their AP. Combat...will require its own lengthy mechanics chat. We'll get to that in a bit. :sigh: To the right of the AP meter is their class and current orb color. The sword indicates that Celtic Guardian is a Warrior-class monster.

A monster’s type will be more important later on, primarily with regards to equipment.

Finally, we have one of three info boxes at the bottom. The "Items" one will tell you if a monster has any items, like medicine or equipment. By pressing L or R, we can cycle to the other two boxes.

The "Battle Arts" menu will show what attacks a monster has, and any effects they might have. In this case, the Celtic Guardian has only his basic attack of Faerie Blade Slash, but if we check out Kuriboh...

We can see that it has a special attack, as indicated by the Z symbol. In this case, he has the special attack "Multiple Spine Shoot", but it requires a "Multiply" item to use. Since we lack one, having just started the game, we can't use it.

Hopefully we will see what Kuriboh can do later on, backed by the power of Multiply. Also, this is a good chance to point out that Multiply was a spell card in the normal game, and that many items will follow this trend.

Finally, we have the ability screen. Each monster can have up to 3 abilities that do a bunch of different stuff. The most common one is _______-Adept, which gives the monster stat bonuses and extra AP when the condition is met. Feral Imp has Night-Adept, so fighting at night will give him his bonuses, whereas something with Castle-Adept would get their bonuses by fighting in a town. There are a whole bunch of abilities, and there will be a list of everything we've seen just below.

Castle-Adept is great. I believe all abilities in that vein are worth 500 ATK/DEF and 1AP.

Location-based adepts (Castle, Forest, etc.) are worth 500 ATK/DEF, and Night-Adept is worth 100 ATK/DEF. All Adept abilities grant 1 AP.

As I said in the first update, combat itself is pretty straightforward. You line up, attack each other, and whoever has more points at the end gets the victory.

- Attack is exactly what it sounds like, and costs 1 AP. Assuming the enemy isn't guarding, you'll do damage roughly equal to the monster's attack divided by ten. So Horn Imp, having 1300 ATK, should do about 130 damage on average. The attack command itself is worth 100 points, and you also get points for the damage you do (So the Horn Imp from before would get ~230 points with each attack). If you get a critical, you do double damage (including points for this extra damage) and a straight 500 point bonus - our Horn Imp getting a critical would get about 860 points (100 + 500 + 260). Finally, if you miss the opponent, they get a 500 point bonus (a net -400 points for you).

- Special allows you to use a special attack if you have one. Special attacks come in all kinds of flavors - some are simple things like "The monster attacks all enemies at once", and some are the more extravagant and gamebreaking variety, such as "Have three specific monsters on your team and you can do 1500+ damage to the entire enemy team at once". Regardless, a special attack costs 2 AP from every monster that's involved, and grants 250 points plus all the same rules of attacking.

- Item, quite predictably, is how you use items. Items cost 1 AP and are worth 150 points, plus points for damage if it happens to be something that can do damage (like an attack spell).

- Info lets you take a peek at both the enemy and your monsters to check on their abilities, items, etc. It costs nothing, for obvious reasons.

- Escape does exactly what it says on the tin. It costs all of the monster's remaining AP, and if successful you get to run from battle with an immediate loss, but no worse for wear otherwise. The only exception is if you're defending a castle and run, in which case you will be booted out of it and the enemy will take it. There's basically no reason to ever run from battle.

- Defense does...yeah, you get it by now. At the cost of 1 AP, you trade your turn for decreased damage. If you're attacked while defending, your DEF stat is subtracted from the attacker's ATK, and that amount is used to calculate damage instead. If your DEF is greater than the attacker's ATK, you just straight up take no damage, but your guard gets "broken" if you take damage, and any follow-up attacks will do full damage until that monster's turn rolls around again. 300 points for the Defense command, and 500 bonus points if they fail to break your guard on an attack.

I think it might actually be 800 for a successfully negated attack, but Defend also increases the chance of attacks missing considerably, so the 500 from evading is more common. Also, note that Defense is useless if you’re not actively defending. This makes monsters with low Defence stats a lot more viable than you would think.

- Finally, we have the Wait command. Using it will skip your turn, and won't cost you any AP. Proper use of it will completely break the game in half, because you can just sit there and let the enemy burn all of their turns attacking you, and all you have to do is toss out a medicine now and then to keep up. Once they've used up all their turns, you're free to unload on them without any fear of reprisal or giving them the chance to use any medicine of their own. This especially is the key to getting through fights without having to go through three or four rounds just to exhaust one supply of Blue Medicine, to say nothing of any other sets they might have.

Wait also costs 50 points, the only way to lose any. But then again, if you’re going to stall from the start, this is irrelevant. (There’s no such thing as a negative amount of points.)

-----

Marshal Abilities
  • Master of the Egyptian Gods - Allows the marshal to use an item that summons a God monster
  • Discount - Reduces the cost of items in shops by 25%
  • Constructor - Reduces the cost of fortification equipment by 25%(?) (Does not stack)
  • Healer - Doubles the rate of passive healing inside a fortification (Stacks with Healer equipment)
  • Navy - Does something re: Water monsters and movement speed. Tests are inconclusive.

Monster Abilities
  • ______-Adept - Gives ATK/DEF and AP bonuses if the specified condition is met
  • Armor - Reduces damage taken from attacks by ~20%
  • Lucky - Significantly increases dodge chance
  • Status Guard - Monster is not affected by status ailments
  • Swift - Increases movement speed on the field, may increase turn priority in battle(?)
  • Aerial - Changes movement type to "Flying"
  • Level X Magic - Enables the use of spells up to the indicated level
  • Magic Craft - Increase the power of spells
  • Super Stamina - Regenerates a small percentage of HP each turn

The Full Monster List

Blue-Eyes White Dragon (Azrael)
Blue-Eyes White Dragon (Ibris)
Blue-Eyes White Dragon (Djibril)
Seiyaryu
Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon (Fusion - All three Blue-Eyes White Dragons)
Kaiser Dragon
Blackland Fire Dragon
Curse of Dragon
Red-Eyes Black Dragon
Black Skull Dragon (Fusion - Red-Eyes Black Dragon and Summoned Skull)
Serpent Night Dragon
Meteor Black Dragon (Fusion - Red-Eyes Black Dragon and Meteor Dragon)
Crawling Dragon
Meteor Dragon
Baby Dragon
Winged Dragon Guardian of the Fortress #1
Gaia the Dragon Champion (Fusion - Gaia the Fierce Knight and Curse of Dragon)
Thousand Dragon (Fusion - Baby Dragon and Time Wizard)
Parrot Dragon
Harpie's Pet Dragon
Two-Headed King Rex
Megazowler
Uraby
Kairyu-Shin
Aqua Dragon
Sea King Dragon
Spike Seadra
Thunder Dragon
Twin-Headed Thunder Dragon (Fusion - Two-Headed King Rex and Thunder Dragon)
???
Time Wizard
???
Magician of Faith
Dark Magician
Dark Magician Girl
Magician of Black Chaos (Ritual - Use the Black Luster Ritual on Dark Magician)
Saggi the Dark Clown
Illusionist Faceless Mage
???
???
Dark Elf
Lord of D.
Invitation to a Dark Sleep
The Illusory Gentleman
Tao the Chanter
???
Water Girl
Dragon Piper
Gemini Elf (Kachua)
???
Dark Magician #2
Giltia the D. Knight
Black Luster Soldier (Ritual - Use the Black Luster Ritual on Gaia the Fierce Knight)
Swordstalker
Flame Swordsman
???
Swamp Battleguard
Judge Man
Gaia the Fierce Knight
Celtic Guardian
Axe Raider
Zanki
Ansatsu
Kanan the Swordmistress
Monster Tamer
Swordsman from a Foreign Land
Garoozis
Hitotsu-Me Giant
Battle Ox
Beaver Warrior
Mountain Warrior
Tiger Axe
Rabid Horseman (Fusion - Battle Ox and Mystic Horseman)
Sengenjin
Panther Warrior
Mystic Horseman
Buster Blader
Stuffed Animal
Dark Rabbit
Silver Fang
Gazelle the King of Mythical Beasts
Chimera the Flying Mythical Beast (Fusion - Berfomet and Gazelle the King of Mythical Beasts)
???
Mavelus
Wing Eagle
Big Insect
Basic Insect
Hercules Beetle
Larvae Moth
Perfectly Ultimate Great Moth (Ritual - Use the Cocoon of Evolution on Larvae Moth)
Dungeon Worm
Man-Eater Bug
Hunter Spider
Armored Lizard
Fiend Kraken
Jellyfish
Octoberser
Beastking of the Swamps
Giant Red Seasnake
Kanikabuto
Zarigun
Penguin Soldier
Harpie Lady (Airo)
Harpie Lady (Ocupete)
Harpie Lady (Keraino)
Sanga of the Thunder
???
Suijin
???
Insect Queen
Fairy's Gift
Hane-Hane
Gyakutenno Megami
Orion the Battle King
Dark Witch
Dancing Elf
Enchanting Mermaid
Flame Cerebrus
Giant Soldier of Stone
Millennium Golem
Dark Plant
Queen of Autumn Leaves
Moisture Creature
Dunames Dark Witch
Embodiment of Apophis
???
Phantom Dewan
Shadow Specter
Zombie Warrior
The Snake Hair
Armored Zombie (Ritual - Use Call of the Grave on Zanki)
Dragon Zombie (Ritual - Use Call of the Grave on Crawling Dragon)
???
Shadow Ghoul
Ghoul with an Appetite
Feral Imp
Summoned Skull
Horn Imp
Kuriboh
Castle of Dark Illusions
Reaper of the Cards
King of Yamimakai
Dark Chimera
Dark King of the Abyss
Midnight Fiend
Ryu-Kishin Powered
Bickuribox
Zoa
Dragon Seeker
Neck Hunter
Three-Headed Geedo
Kryuel
Beast of Gilfer
Berfomet
Fortress Whale
Labyrinth Tank
Metalzoa (Ritual - Use Metalmorph on Zoa)
Cyber Soldier
Cyber Commander
Dharma Cannon
Red-Eyes Black Metal Dragon (Ritual - Use Metalmorph on Red-Eyes Black Dragon)
Barrel Dragon
Slot Machine
Launcher Spider
Robotic Knight
Machine King
Giant Mech-Soldier
Jinzo
Alpha the Magnet Warrior
Beta the Magnet Warrior
Gamma the Magnet Warrior
Valkyrion the Magna Warrior (Fusion - Alpha, Beta, and Gamma the Magnet Warrior)
Cyber Saurus
Rocket Warrior
Obelisk the Tormentor (Can only be summoned with a Soul of Obelisk)
Slifer the Sky Dragon (Can only be summoned with a Slifer's Orb)
???

Artix fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 4, 2014

booksnake
May 4, 2009

Run command is useless /and/ has a chance to fail? :psyduck:

Senerio posted:

Ms. Valentine

Ohhhh. Right, now I remember. Had good(?) cards but lost every match on screen, which may be why I forgot.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Right, it's time for our first LP vote! I know I'm excited.*

I'll keep this brief, but team composition is really important in this game. Having a whole bunch of really strong monsters typically doesn't do you much good, because Power and AP are almost always inversely proportional. This early in the game, you're going to get more points out of a monster that can attack 3 times for 100 damage than one that hits twice for 175, plus you can always spare an AP to heal up or something. Long story short, having more options rather than less is almost always a better pick.

That part about power and AP often being inversely proportional? There are some mid-to-high attack monsters that are utterly crippled by that fact.

So with that said, let's meet our new monsters.

First up, we have Silver Fang. He has a respectable amount of HP, decent combat stats, and 3 AP is better than the Blackland Fire Dragon's 2. He's not going to carry you to endgame, but nothing in anyone's lineup right now will, so that's not really a mark against him. The only big thing is the Field-Adept. 90% of combat in this game is you defending a town or you attacking a town, so stuff like Field and Forest-Adept generally aren't too useful.

Most Adept abilities do require you to deliberately manipulate the situation to trigger them, and you would have to assemble a team with multiples of the same type to beat out a town’s bonuses most of the time.

Next up we have the Blackland Fire Dragon. Like most dragons, he's tough, kinda slow, and has a big zone of control to make use of if we make him a team leader. He's also Night-Adept, which is probably the second-best Adept skill to have if you can only pick one. Neither he nor Silver Fang get anything cool like special attacks or effects on their attacks, so it's pretty much down to just being a solid attacker for the next few chapters.

His orb colour isn’t too far from Celtic Guardian’s and Feral Imp’s, so you can probably guess where the dragon ‘should’ go.

Thematically, I suppose so, but Yugi's orb is a dark purple (he's much closer to, say, Kuriboh) and Shimon and Fizdis need the help much more than Yugi does.

But anyway, on to our potential victims.

We've already seen what Kuriboh has to offer in Mission 1, but just for the sake of completion, here's his rundown. He's got terrible base stats, growths that barely hit "mediocre", but he's cheap, has a good amount of AP (or will, at any rate), and again, Night-Adept is one of the better abilities to have. He'll also be necessary to show off something very special a bit later on in Yugi's story, but he doesn't really need any levels to do so.

Kuriboh can be very fun, once he gets a few levels under his belt and gains some abilities. He will never be terribly sturdy, though.

Kanikabuto isn't a terrible monster, but he's not very good either. He has low bases in both ATK and DEF, Water-Adept is possibly the worst Adept to have, and he's a swimming-type (not that it'll matter because he'll never be a leader). The lone bright spot is that it eventually gets the Armor ability, which reduces the damage he recieves. I doubt he'll last long enough to get it.

Profoundly ‘meh’.

Penguin Soldier has an amazing attack animation, but as a monster he's not very good. He doesn't start with anything, his stats are terrible all-around, and he doesn't really have much to look forward to in abilities. He'll eventually pick up Lucky, which significantly increases his dodge rate, and I believe Water-Adept, but we've already been over how useful that is. His most notable thing is the 4 AP, which gives him a better claim to stay on than Kanikabuto at least.

His attack animation is really cool, he gets a lot of attacks. Definitely not the worst of the bunch.

And last on the chopping block today is the Shadow Specter. He somehow manages to have even lower base HP than Kuriboh, his stats are completely awful, and he doesn't even have 4 AP like Penguin Soldier. Now, that said, he does have Night-Adept and eventually his basic attack will get the Poison effect, which I guess is worth something.

Yeah... You can’t expect too much from the starter teams, I guess.

Now, the important part. Next up is a night map, which means any Night-Adept monsters are looking at +500 ATK/DEF and +1 AP, and we can engineer a few more boosts in the chapter itself if we play our cards right. So the question will be who gets the Silver Fang/Blackland Fire Dragon and which monster is being replaced by them. Voting will close in 24 hours or if a choice gets a significant lead.

*Not excited at all, actually bracing for the worst

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So this game is basically Tactics Yugi: March of the Black Dragon?

edit: Give Yugi the dragon for sure.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 3, 2013

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Give the wolf to blue haired lady and replace Kanikabuto.

Leave the dragon with Yugi. Kid seems like he'd be down with dragons.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
Silver Fang to Fizdis(?), replacing Kanikabuto.

Blackland Dragon to Shimon, replacing Shadow Specter.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Dragon to Shadow specter because Shimon could use a good monster
Wolf over Kuriboh becausekuriboh is terrible, and even with Multiply, he's still prety terrible. It's a long time till he gets lucky.
Let's start phasing out Fizdis...

booksnake
May 4, 2009

So what you're saying is, on the next map, Kuriboh is stronger than Penguin Soldier? Sold.

Swap the crab and penguin for the new monsters.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Wolf to the chick, replacing Kanikabuto.

Blackland Dragon to Shimon, replacing Shadow Specter.

I really loved the idea behind this game, but the execution was kind of bad.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

booksnake posted:

So what you're saying is, on the next map, Kuriboh is stronger than Penguin Soldier? Sold.

I wouldn't go so far as to say better than Penguin Soldier, but he'll be about on par, yes.

Gensuki posted:

Let's start phasing out Fizdis...

I can certainly give people more or less priority when it comes to how much combat they see if you guys really want to see Shimon become the destroyer of worlds or something, but marshals with abilities get priority over those who don't. Unfortunately for Shimon, that means Fizdis gets the nod over him once we get some more marshals and actually have to leave people behind due to the deployment limit. Discount is really useful early in the game.

TenaCrane
Sep 14, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

booksnake posted:

Swap the crab and penguin for the new monsters.

:effort: vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Swap out the crab and penguin.

I want to see Kuriboh used as long as possible.

• Locked thread