Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Tae posted:

And when he says cheat, he literally cheats with the power of Destiny to draw any card he wants. This was a plot point.

Any character can do that by trusting in the Heart of the Cards, though. Or the power of friendship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alakasam
Sep 15, 2011
At one point, the Pharaoh used an effect that allows him to search his deck for a card to put in his hand. He announced what he wanted and pulled it out from the middle of the deck without looking. The other characters even commented on it.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

alakasam posted:

At one point, the Pharaoh used an effect that allows him to search his deck for a card to put in his hand. He announced what he wanted and pulled it out from the middle of the deck without looking. The other characters even commented on it.

Well later series they have the card automatically slide out when the player using a tutor effect. But Atem really is not crazier than any subsequent Yugioh protagonist, after all this is a world that was literally created by a card being played face-up. The Magical ability to manipulate luck through will alone is used at to various levels of skill by the entire cast, and Yugi eventually surpasses Atem. Also I'm not kidding about that origin story, in Yugioh GX the cosmic embodiment of entropy and despair shows up to reveal that's how the world was made. Yugioh ZeXal II's current arc is building towards finding that card as well.

Ramos posted:

Well, that and the Pharaoh is used to sending armies of men and monsters to put people to their deaths. Yugi freaks the gently caress out as soon as Keiba bluffs suicide. Not that it's a point against Yugi or anything, but the Pharaoh's resume is looking a lot better in general.

To be Pedantic Atem doesn't remember his past until the very end of the series.

But I've said enough about the Yugioh anime.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Omnicrom posted:

Also I'm not kidding about that origin story, in Yugioh GX the cosmic embodiment of entropy and despair shows up to reveal that's how the world was made. Yugioh ZeXal II's current arc is building towards finding that card as well.

I liked it when it was just "copying Ancient Egyptian magic rituals for a card game was ill-advised, guys!" drat...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

So, you liked it never? It was pretty much always about that batshit crazy.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The world being created by a face-up card is just so stupid that it goes all the way back to awesome, and then back to stupid again. I didn't watch much of GX, but I liked the beginning where all that magic stuff was just fake.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Endorph posted:

So, you liked it never? It was pretty much always about that batshit crazy.

I guess, but "the Egyptian gods and magics are/were real and have been released in the modern day because somebody copied them for a game" sits better with me than "the universe is literally a card".

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
EDIT: This was a stupid post and should have been put into the megathread. :downs:

I'm not sure but... This map seems familiar... I think something Important happens here? Like... a new character?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
What part of "This is not the anime thread, take it to ADTRW" was unclear the first time?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Whoops, sorry Artix.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Realizing that he is at a disadvantage, he has fortified the defenses at the castle and holed up there. Yugi's forces are having difficulty breaking the defenses. Will they be able to take Tsughut and free the island?

With our teams reassembled, we're ready to go. Probably not the team I'd have picked for Shimon, but we can make it work.

Yeah. Unless we do something, we're just going to continue to sustain damage. There's got to be something else we can try.

Perhaps there is. Let's free all of the surrounding villages and towns and strengthen our own position.

Another nice little bit of continuity, we start this map in the same castle that we seized last map.

Somehow, it’s now surrounded by grass instead of dirt.

So getting down to business immediately, the enemy has two marshals heading straight for our main base, but we'll get to them in just a second. As Yugi mentioned, our first objective is to capture the two closest forts, of which Yugi is taking the north one, and Shimon the south.

The problem is that white circle surrounding the castle. This is an indication of an Anti-Ground/Anti-Air cannon's range, and in this case, Tsughut and both forward castles have both. In theory, we could cheese the gently caress out of this mission if we took Kanikabuto and went straight for Tsughut (and to be honest, I have no idea what happens if you do), but that's the boring way.

It’s a valid tactic for evading cannons, though. It’s the only real redeeming feature of Swimming creatures.

As a small side note, the game automatically takes the last marshal in your lineup to defend a fortification when it gets attacked. You can manipulate this by sending someone out of the fortress and back in to make them the defender, as I'm doing with Tristan here.

Another pro-tip. :eng101:

So with Yugi and Shimon on their way, our first guests have arrived.

Our big golden friend is the creatively named "Slot Machine", and he packs a punch but is otherwise nothing special.

Slot Machine is most notable for its attack animation, which comes with a critical overdose of blur. It’s not good for your eyes.

One lucky Swordsman crit later, and Tristan has culled most of his team.

So close! :argh:

Before he can finish off our gambling friend, the other enemy shows up.

Cyber Commander isn't much to write home about. He's pretty weak and he'll eventually get an "Attack all enemies" special, but that's about it.

Fans of the show may remember that this is Tristan’s favourite card.

Dark Elf is a little more interesting. She's much more powerful, but doesn't have enough AP to really throw around that power yet.

2000 base ATK’s not bad, but her eventual special is appalling.

The AI is really weird. Usually they just kind of scatter their attacks, but sometimes it's like something clicks and they're like "gently caress YOU AND YOUR GAZELLE, IT DIES NOW!"

This really does seem to happen at random. Make sure to stay on top of your healing!

Now that should do it...

There we go. :getin: Now that we're starting to get around L10, our fast monsters are starting to get their first extra AP. Fast monsters generally get theirs around L10, slower ones around L20, with everyone else falling somewhere in between, usually about L15. This is one of the main ways that monsters that aren't so hot in the statistical department can turn things around, because a monster with 1000 ATK but 8 AP is way more useful than something with 3000 ATK but only 3.

Case in point: Man-Eater Bug.

As Tristan prepares to finish off the second marshal, Yugi reaches the top fortress.

Water Girl is another filler monster, but Judge Man is a little more impressive. Well, he looks impressive at least. I'll let Eevee handle that one.

Ah yes, Judge Man. Remember what Artix said about power and AP being inversely proportional a lot of the time? This monster right here is the best example of that I can think of. Good health, good ATK, woeful AP. He’ll probably never get above 4 for your average player, and it’ll take forever before he even has 3. Judge Man is utterly crippled by his lack of AP.

Right, so I want to talk about Yugi's team for a second. Basically, you guys are assholes. Celtic Guardian can swing for some serious damage, and Winged Dragon is okay, if low on AP. I can work with those. But Kuriboh is dead weight in the day and when he's not throwing out a medicine because he got hit once, he's attacking for 30 damage.

Just thought you guys should know.

[b]:mmmhmm:[/b]

Oh look, case in point. Slot Machine lands for just a little bit less, and his entire team still has AP to burn, so guess who's not helping in this fight?

Only another 2400 HP to burn through with (functionally) 5 attacks good for ~1100 damage total! :suicide:

Yes, thank you Kuriboh. Now that you have 375 ATK, you're sure to turn the tide of battle.

Oh wait, no, you spent the entire second round tossing out Blue Medicines while I barely killed the Slot Machine.

At least Celtic Guardian and Winged Dragon are getting better.

After the third round where Yugi still hadn't killed the Judge Man, we get a small break for Tristan to finish defending the main fort.

And finally, Yugi brings down the Judge Man.

At this rate, next mission could get pretty interesting...

With the initial defense done, Tristan and Fizdis move out as well. Fizdis reinforces Shimon, and Tristan follows up with Yugi.

And Shimon has reached his destination.

The only really new thing here is the Illusionist Faceless Mage. His attack will eventually paralyze, but for now he just has too much HP.

Actually, I believe it’s the special that’s a single-target Paralyse, no damage. (If you hadn’t noticed yet, some specials are really lackluster in this game.)

Much like Yugi, there's not much Shimon can do except knock them out one at a time. At least he only has one 1200+ HP monster...

Round two takes the Silver Fang, and does enough to ensure there won't be a Round 4.

But only barely.

The early missions take quite a while if you’re not abusing the Konami code.

Shimon's kind of behind in levels after sitting out last chapter, so he'll be taking the lead a bit more this chapter.

Now, with both of the available fortresses taken...

Bakura! You're okay!

Barely. Where is everyone else?

Tristan's already here, but I don't know where the others are.

I see. Well, I'm glad that we found each other. You're attacking Tsughut, right? I think I can help you out.

How so?

You can't march an army through it, bu there is a hole in Tsughut's defenses. Leave it to me! I'll confuse the guards and destroy their defensive equipment. If you just hang in there for one more day, you'll see a fire in the castle. That means the cannons will be out of action, giving you the chance you need to storm the castle! I'll get on it right away! See you in Tsughut!

*Bakura leaves*

Bakura! Wait! ...I hope he's alright.

Bakura says to "wait another day", but thankfully he really means "wait until 3:00 PM". Which gives us...

...Oh, about four hours to kill. And yes, you have to wait it out unless you cheese the mission.

If we weren’t going for a ‘no Abridged series jokes’ policy, I’d say something about videogame Brits and espionage here. I don’t think Bakura has any specified nationality in the proper material, just that he’s a transfer student.

In the meantime, I build a Trade Union in Rowerul. There's unfortunately not enough time to send Fizdis up to buy the stuff, but at least Tristan knocks 200G off the price of the Trade Union. At any rate, we actually have some spellcasters in the near...ish future, so I grab a Book of Secret Arts, and I also pick up a Black Pendant. It's no Multiply, but it should make Kuriboh at least marginally less useless for the time being.

As pictured above, Black Pendant is an interesting piece of equipment because it supposedly gives a bonus against Spellcasters on top of the 500 ATK. Not all attack-boosting equipment is created equal.

Right, so a full heal for all of my marshals and 3 gigs of completely useless video later, it's time to start the show.

Yugi, who are you talking to, Bakura isn't here. :psyduck:

This is our best shot! Advance on the castle now!

And then Shimon, because he just couldn't go an entire chapter without saying something completely banal and unhelpful. Fun fact, this is his only line in the entire chapter.

Which totally justifies the forced deployment, right? (Not that you wouldn’t deploy him at this early stage.)

And just in time for us to restart the offensive, respawning enemies make their grand debut. This is one of my least favorite aspects of the forced waiting, because now on top of the remaining enemies in the stage, we have to refight all the marshals we already killed. Fortunately, they come with half health and are pretty easy to put back down, but come on. Now you're just wasting my time, game.

On the upside... More experience, I guess?

At any rate, Shimon makes the short trek between castles in the south.

He has a Blackland and Winged Dragon of his own, but the main threat is this rear end in a top hat right here. Wing Eagle hits hard, gets a ton of AP, and the AI loving loves them. We will be seeing so many Wing Eagles before the LP is over, it's not even funny.

There’s a noticeable shift in enemy monsters through a campaign; more regular Wing Eagle appearances generally mean you’re making the shift from easy tutorial stuff to half-decent opponents. It’s certainly not a bad monster by any means.

At any rate, this battle is a race against time. We have to completely eliminate this team and take the castle before the respawned Slot Machine team can reach it, or else we're going to have to fight them in the castle while this guy is still waiting in the wings. The Slot Machine does move slowly, but we have maybe two rounds to get the job done or things are going to get incredibly obnoxious.

And with my very last AP, I manage to kill the Wing Eagle. This isn't looking good.

A second round just barely kills the Winged Dragon.

Fuckin' photo finish. Look at how close that was. The flash means that Fizdis has arrived at the castle, and we were literally maybe a quarter of a second ahead of the Slot Machine.

Nicely done! As you can see, Slot Machine’s ZOC is a bit on the larger side.

With Shimon having done most of the heavy lifting, Fizdis cruises through to a victory without even a scratch.

And now these guys have to fight on our terms, rather than us on theirs. Respawned enemies are actually fantastic for experience, because it takes a pretty terrible team to not be able to at least knock out two half-health enemies, and even decent teams should be able to just straight up wipe them in a single round of combat.

The enemy could sit at their base to regenerate some health before heading out, but it’ll never happen. They tend to pop in and immediately set out for another location.

And Fizdis has what is probably the best team I'm fielding right now.

Just for that little extra "gently caress you". :mmmhmm: But seriously, respawned enemies always go for the closest friendly fortification, so Shimon and Fizdis will be sitting here for the rest of the chapter smacking them down every time they pop up.

It’s like an experience pianta!

Shimon fields this one.

While not having quite as good of a team as Fizdis, it's enough to get the job done, and Blackland picks up his first AP as well. :toot: Even as good a combat unit as he is, 2 AP just does not cut it.

Ah, that’s more like it.

Guys, come on, I'm trying to get poo poo done here, this isn't helping.

So while Fizdis and Shimon and deal with all of those idiots, Tristan and Yugi are finally making some progress.

Pound for pound, Megazowlers are probably my least favorite enemy in the entire game. They're slow, but they'll eventually get a decent amount of AP, they hit pretty hard, they have a fuckload of HP, and just like Wing Eagle, the the AI just cannot contain their excitement about using the drat things. They love to come in pairs, because killing one of these fucks just isn't exciting enough, and their HP is so high that you'll have to expend most (if not all) of your AP just to take down one. gently caress these guys, I'm getting mad just watching a video and typing this up.

Megazowler and Wing Eagle aren’t super-common or anything, but this dino is definitely not the easiest beast to put down. They get quite the sizeable chunk of HP.

Great, we took a healing break and now we can't even kill one of them in a round.

Predictable results.

At least SfaFL is still going strong.

Yugi fares a bit better, knocking out both the weakened Megazowler and the Uraby.

And the last one goes down with 10 points to spare.

And with that done, he and Tristan immediately set out for the boss.

Finally!

Have I mentioned that Fizdis has a really good team, lately? :getin:

It really helps counteract her own terribleness.

Bah, just shy of having those Night-Adept bonuses kick in. Oh well.

It's showtime!

Nice ear ornaments.

If you remember Sebeckal from Chapter 2, Kepulia is basically the same thing. He does have a Battle Ox, which is basically an Axe Raider+, but otherwise there's nothing new here.

Unfortunately, after an embarrassing series of misses and having to waste turns healing, Tristan can only take down the Mountain Warrior.

Yugi comes in to show him how it's done.

And that's all she wrote for Chapter 4. I was really hoping to see Kuriboh get that 4th AP, but maybe next map. Because if he doesn't, he's probably going to get his rear end benched. :v:

A fourth AP would be great for Kuriboh, but... Well, his usefulness in these early maps is kinda negligible.

No roaming monsters, obviously, so congrats to Level Seven, Bruceski, Ramos, fool_of_sound, GeneralYeti, and pyrrhickong.

Nonsense. If you hadn't confused the enemy first our attack wouldn't have gone so smoothly. Thanks.

Well, good. I'm glad I was able to help a bit. I'd like to stay with you from here on out, is that okay with you?

Sure! I'm happy to have you!

-----

Bonus Stuff

Chapter 4 Animations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMHai6E72aU

Music - An Ally Appears!

Flavor Text

Telenoes - The checkpoint on the east side of the central road. It's a highly fortified military base.

Rowerul - This is a lookout post for hunting down bandits.

Ithuvak - This is a post station between Tsughut and the Central Way. It's war-torn and deserted.

Kthujan/Ghuashyene - This is a castle built to protect the front of Tsughut. It was built with equipment dedicated to oppose the resistance

Tsughut - This is the provincial capital of Vaxi Island.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Artix posted:

Right, so I want to talk about Yugi's team for a second. Basically, you guys are assholes. Celtic Guardian can swing for some serious damage, and Winged Dragon is okay, if low on AP. I can work with those. But Kuriboh is dead weight in the day and when he's not throwing out a medicine because he got hit once, he's attacking for 30 damage.

Just thought you guys should know.

[b]:mmmhmm:[/b]

:getin:

Added a little extra somethingsomething to watching the video and seeing Judge Man bring the HAMMER OF JUSTICE down on Kuriboh.

alakasam
Sep 15, 2011
I really can't get over how great the music is in this game. Interestingly, there are two Yu-Gi-Oh spinoff games for the PS2, Capsule Monster Colosseum and Duelists of the Roses that I think were made by the same team as this. They both have unique gameplay ideas with questionable execution, share some of the same music tracks and look to have a similar art direction for the 3D models.

I am also perfectly ashamed to admit that I have played and beaten each one of them in my childhood. As poor as the reviews for these games all are, I'm really glad that Konami decided to flaunt a little of their massive income to field risky games with fresh ideas. Good on them. :)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly, the games weren't really a risk. They were risks quality-wise, but return on their investment-wise it came out at a time where they could have slapped the brand onto a cooking simulator and it would have made money.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I desperately want to see Cooking Yami get made into a product now.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Red Suit posted:

I desperately want to see Cooking Yami get made into a product now.

"Better than Yami! It's the guillotine for you."

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Out of curiosity, will Multiply actually make Kuriboh viable, and how many missions will it be until it appears?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

Out of curiosity, will Multiply actually make Kuriboh viable, and how many missions will it be until it appears?

It will potentially turn kuriboh into a blue eyes white dragon (offensively), and it won't be available until we basically have a blue eyes white dragon.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

fool_of_sound posted:

Mutiply enables his special attack and straight up gives him 1000 ATK per item. If you want to burn all of his item slots, you can boost his attack by 3000 with three of them, which means he'll be swinging for ~350-400 damage per attack at minimum. He's still be fragile as gently caress, but it'll at least make him a glass cannon instead of completely useless. As for how long, it's a lot sooner than you'd think, but we're still at a few chapters away from it.

Artix fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 15, 2013

alakasam
Sep 15, 2011

Gensuki posted:

It will potentially turn kuriboh into a blue eyes white dragon (offensively), and it won't be available until we basically have a blue eyes white dragon.

Wrong on both fronts. Multiply will be available in just a couple missions, and with three equipped he'll be hitting far more than a Blue Eyes would due to the wonky damage formula.

Edit: beaten, also in my experience, Kuriboh hits for a lot more than 300-400 despite having ~3600 attack with the multiplies.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
E: Nothing to see here. :ninja:

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Great. So how long until Bakura turns evil? Is that even worth spoilering? It's usually a given.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

MelvinBison posted:

Great. So how long until Bakura turns evil? Is that even worth spoilering? It's usually a given.

Doesn't happen

EDIT: VV It has been... I think 7 years? maybe 8? I think I forgot because I think it doesn't stick, but now I remember the map...gently caress that map.

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 15, 2013

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Gensuki posted:

Doesn't happen.

You clearly haven't played in a very long time or never played Yugi's story.

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.
All right, saying this in advance: I can't stop myself from going on ahead, so I'm out of the running for the clairvoyance test competition.

But I do expect this next one to have a monster in one of the castles. That weird?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So first thing on the agenda, we have a new marshal.

Bakura isn't much to look at to start with. He doesn't have an ability and he starts with the standard 1-1-1 stat spread, but given time, he'll eventually specialize in high AP and HP, with a somewhat middling BP growth. Certainly not the worst set of growths to have, but I wouldn't complain if his BP and HP growths were switched.

Tristan and Bakura end up having similar growths, and I believe Tristan’s are HP/BP focused.

Moving to his monsters, Beastking of the Swamps isn't very good. It's slow, it's not very strong, and it's other ability is Water-Adept, for all that's worth. He does have the ability to poison later, but I find the other issues tend to outweigh it.

A fairly dead-weight beast.

Stuffed Animal is an interesting one. It is very slow (even at L99, it only has 5 AP), but it hits reasonably hard and will get both Night and Castle-Adept which is basically the best possible combination of Adepts you can have. Between the two Adepts and marshal bonuses, you can get around his AP problem fairly easily, so if you can put up with how he starts, he turns things around pretty well.

I’ve never used Stuffed Animal much, but it sounds promising!

Finally, we have the absolutely fantastic Ansatsu. He hits very hard (almost 5000 natural ATK at L99), comes with a ton of AP, Castle and Road-Adept, Swift, and he even comes with a free Legendary Sword to boot. And if that wasn't enough, he's one of three(?) monsters with the highest movement speed in the game. Just an all-around amazing monster.

Ansatsu is endgame material. Seriously, this guy is ridiculous.

Today's vote will be a very simple one. I'm not putting up with Beastking of the Swamp when we have several monsters that are better in every way, so he's being kicked to the curb. If you'd like to put in a replacement for Stuffed Animal as well, you may, but he mainly just suffers from a slow start so keep that in mind. Everyone else's teams are fine, so no need to gently caress with them.

The Reserve List
Zombie Warrior - 738 HP, 1329/1041, 3 AP, Dark Gray Orb
Mystic Horseman - 974 HP, 1348/1596, 3 AP, Orange Orb
Feral Imp - 879 HP, 1482/1583, 2 AP, Green Orb

Now, the thing most of you actually care about :

Chapter 5 is the first and last honest-to-god water map. But not all is well here - there are monsters afoot! Your conditions for this map:

- There is at least one monster to find on this map.
- At least one of the monster(s) present is found on the field.
- Any monsters gotten for clearing the chapter do not count as roaming monsters, but they are counted in the monster total.

To better explain what I mean on that last point, let's say there are two monsters. Under these conditions, any of the following may be true:

- There is one monster in the field, and one in a town.
- There is one monster in the field, and one for clearing the mission.
- There are two monsters on the field.

Good luck!

You’ll need it!

Artix fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 16, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Could you put a list of monsters in the OP? Though I imagine that'd be pretty big.

Whichever of those Monsters is closest to Bakura's starting orb color.

Also my guess is to the right of the enemy castle, as represented by a low-res Prinny head.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 16, 2013

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Bakura should use the Zombie Warrior in place of the Beastking. Leave the Stuffed Animal, it's pleasantly creepy.

I think there are two monsters. One here...

...since there is seriously no reason to go over there otherwise, and the other as a reward for clearing the mission.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Endorph posted:

Could you put a list of monsters in the OP? Though I imagine that'd be pretty big.

Whichever of those Monsters is closest to Bakura's starting orb color.

It would be too big to keep track of, unfortunately. Even assuming we drop about a third of the monsters due to just being terrible or otherwise outclassed and ignore monsters already on someone's team, that would still be almost 70 monsters by the time everything is all said and done. That said, I can include orb colors in the reserve list from now on.

Mystic Horseman - Orange
Zombie Warrior - Dark Grey
Feral Imp - Green

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Give Bakura the Zombie Warrior and guessing there's two on the map.

One in the middle because if you take that nearby island first, the middle isn't where the next islands are. One in the corner because who the hell would look there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

In that case, I guess the closest would be Zombie Warrior.

Happy Blue
Oct 18, 2012
Replace Beastking and creepy toy with the Zombie Warrior and the Man-eater Bug from Fizdis' team. Give Fizdis the Feral Imp.

There are two monsters on this map! One in the final castle, and the other on the beach part of the mainland at the very bottom of the map.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
The roaming monster is between the center island and enemy base

It is also, in the water. I'm pretty sure this monster is also garbage.

So yeah. Ansatsu is, as you said, probably the best monster in the game that stands alone. Is it a secret that there are monsters with tag-team powers? It's fast, has a ton of AP and attack, gets Castle Adept, is a warrior, and it's not even that frail. It's surprisingly durable for a human sized ninja. Best of all, tht's not just endgame, Ansatsu is just always great. It's almost a bit disappointing that the game just hands him to you like it's nothing.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

We've gotta have a monster directly behind the starting city at some point

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Bakura can trade his Swampthing for a Mystic Horseman. Sounds like a good trade!

I'm gonna guess that there is a monster to be found in the very top left corner of the map.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

The map is already symmetric, so I can't exactly go off of that this time. Two monsters at the given positions. We're kind of due for another monster and it's a good time to shove two in since by now you're getting used to things, as far as game design goes.

So, if I were a game designer, I'd stick the yellow one on the upper path since it's a more implicit path as opposed to presumed one to the middle fortress before branching out. Basically, reward players for optimizing travel. (Or punish them because you put a gently caress off team of monsters there, whichever works.)

The second one below is because it's the gravitational center of the triangle of the three fortresses, as to be not too far out of the way but definitely off the beaten path and once again reinforcing the idea of recognizing geometric patterns and then randomly loving wandering around anyway.

This, of course, assumes the game designers weren't throwing darts at the map. :haw: Also because I have no idea how these people deal with an already symmetrical map.

pyrrhickong
May 17, 2010

The Hell's "beefcake" mean anyway?
Unfortunately I have this one memorized because of how large of a pain in the rear it was to find this one when I realized I was missing a monster for this chapter when I replayed the Yugi campaign. You can just suck it, Enchanting Mermaid. Don't recall if there was a second, I just remember specifically hating this monster because I didn't get it the first time around and really should have. If there was another one here, I don't remember it and probably never used it. Or I'm mistaking it for a water map in a Kaiba mission.

And go ahead and give Bakura Zombie Warrior, as much as I like Beastking because holy crap it's a toxic alligator.

EDIT: There was some crap here. Some of it's gone now.

pyrrhickong fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 16, 2013

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Um, dude, your spoilers are handing out some major clues. Just a recommendation, if you don't know whether or not to use them, don't.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

I am going to guess there are two monsters. One is the detour I drew off the purple path because there's that big old stretch of water in need of exploring on the left, and the other is on the island with the enemies because that's the biggest piece of land on the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Zombie Warrior in place of the swamp thing. If zombie movies have taught me anything, it's that you can never have too many zombies.

Leave Stuffed Animal in because getting beat up by Teddy Ruxpin is awesome.

• Locked thread