Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
kinda surprised by the disdain towards bobby lee in this thread. i just started listening again, and bobby lee is my new favorite part of the show. i think he's perfect for podcast/radio because his natural speaking voice and cadence just has something inherently comical about it. like, even when he's dead serious or making a real mild joke, it can be hilarious just because of the way he says it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
When Bobby Lee first came on I kinda hated him. He was a dick to Asa, got the show censored, tried to shout over Dave a lot and over-reacted about everything. He was this new guy who was dominating the show. After a few episodes I started to love him for the reasons I initially hated him - the dude is loving crazy, he freaks out about poo poo the entire time and it's completely hilarious to listen to.

In the old O&A threads, there would be people complaining sometimes when Patrice O'neal came on because he'd just take over and start shouting at everyone and Patrice-ing people, which is the exact same thing we all miss him for now. I wouldn't compare Patrice to Bobby but it's a similar thing, if someone has a personality like that they can piss you off if you don't know where they're coming from.

Bobby also brought us Steve, who is just the best loving person. So I love him now.

Lovechop fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 6, 2014

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

The latest episode (106) is loving crazy. Except I think the whole story at the end was made up.

The comment section on that site is going nuts. Seems like it has been one of the most controversial episodes (and that is saying something when talking about this show) in a long time.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

kinda surprised by the disdain towards bobby lee in this thread. i just started listening again, and bobby lee is my new favorite part of the show. i think he's perfect for podcast/radio because his natural speaking voice and cadence just has something inherently comical about it. like, even when he's dead serious or making a real mild joke, it can be hilarious just because of the way he says it.

Bobby Lee is my favorite guest on the show, I love him. He's crazy and a perfect fit, I like when he goes into characters doing sexual things to each other. Every SA podcast or radio thread is full of goons bitching and picking apart all the good things a show has, I just sit back and enjoy it. If I ever get annoyed with a show I take a break. Bobby Lee also brought the show his brother Steve, the greater Lee brother. :3:

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
Dave has some seriously big balls to tell that story in 106, god drat. Dude's insane and I love him.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The Experiment posted:

Except I think the whole story at the end was made up.

Yeah that sounded like bullshit. Asa was the best part of that, how she couldn't stop laughing about how ridiculous his story sounded. "I can't believe you don't have a girlfriend, you're so cool" - post rape.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
I have a feeling that Dave greatly embellishes and outright makes up stuff very freely. Like, on a few occasions he has talked about making a ton of money when he was poor by martingaling blackjack [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martingale_(betting_system)]. Complete and utter bullshit. It's hard not to question the sincerity of a lot of his other stories. Either way, still gotta hand it to him, he's a good storyteller.

WHY SEE ESS
Sep 12, 2006
To be fair, I'm surprised it took 106 episodes to lead to a story about an actual rape.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

WHY SEE ESS posted:

To be fair, I'm surprised it took 106 episodes to lead to a story about an actual rape.

Val talked about waking up next to a chick after blacking out and loving her while she was asleep. They hosed again after she woke up, but that was rapey as hell.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

So... Dave definitely slept with Eva Lin, right?

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

bowser posted:

I sure hope so :)

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

bowser posted:

I know I would.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
Bill Poon is a dude. Whenever someone suggests something he always rolls with it and doesn't back down. Phone sex with Eva, talking about loving Critter in the rear end. Owns, haha.

WHY SEE ESS
Sep 12, 2006
I love how Dave causes a scene where Steve is threatening to relapse and Bobby is so scared of it happening that he actually leaves the show... then Dave just continues what he was talking about like nothing happened.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

WHY SEE ESS posted:

I love how Dave causes a scene where Steve is threatening to relapse and Bobby is so scared of it happening that he actually leaves the show... then Dave just continues what he was talking about like nothing happened.

I don't always pay the closest attention while listening.. what episode is that? I feel like I'd remember it.

WHY SEE ESS
Sep 12, 2006
Episode 109, the latest one. It happens like 2/3rds in I think (the episode just goes on and on, well after the trivia).

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

Bobby Lee is still the weak link of the show. Keep Steve, get rid of Bobby and his boring girlfriend. Also he doesn't seem to like Critter much, which is funny to me for some reason. I figured it was because he is always by Dave and is therefore jealous.

Lovechop posted:

Bill Poon is a dude. Whenever someone suggests something he always rolls with it and doesn't back down. Phone sex with Eva, talking about loving Critter in the rear end. Owns, haha.

I agree. Probably my favorite person there on the show.

The Experiment fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 22, 2014

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

The Experiment posted:

Bobby Lee is still the weak link of the show. Keep Steve, get rid of Bobby and his boring girlfriend. Also he doesn't seem to like Critter much, which is funny to me for some reason. I figured it was because he is always by Dave and is therefore jealous.

lol, wat? bobby lee is the best thing to ever happen to dvdasa. all the recent shows i've listened to that didn't have b lee or a decent guest were 2 hours of Dave narcissistically rambling to a brigade of yes men.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
Yeah man, I can't picture the show without Bobby and Steve now. I love the show whoever is on it, but you know that whenever Bobby is on that anything can happen. Dude is unpredictable.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I just updated the OP. I didn't include B-Lee and Steve as part of the cast since their appearances are sporadic. I do think that they are both responsible for some of the funniest/most memorable moments on the show, though. On the other hand, I know Bobby Lee is a guest on a ton of different podcasts so I do wonder if he just recycles his stories or if the stuff he says on DVDASA is 'exclusive' to this show.

Edit: Also, I think I'm going to ask a mod to change the title of the thread. Something like "DVDASA - [quote from the show]". What quote should we go with?

bowser fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 2, 2014

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

bowser posted:

On the other hand, I know Bobby Lee is a guest on a ton of different podcasts so I do wonder if he just recycles his stories or if the stuff he says on DVDASA is 'exclusive' to this show.

Now I'm curious too, didn't know he did many different shows. Are we just getting rehashed Lee family drama?

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
When the oil brothers aren't on I really don't enjoy the show as much anymore. I just want all Steve Lee all the time.

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp
During which episode did David fire Yoshi? And does it need any backstory or is the reasoning explained while they are on the air?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Once again A Keg. posted:

During which episode did David fire Yoshi? And does it need any backstory or is the reasoning explained while they are on the air?

He explains it all on the podcast, I don't remember which episode but it's the last one yoshi was ever one so if you read the descriptions you should find it. I think it was like 10 or 20 in.

CrazyAss13
Jun 12, 2002
Awesome Dude

TwistedNails posted:

He explains it all on the podcast, I don't remember which episode but it's the last one yoshi was ever one so if you read the descriptions you should find it. I think it was like 10 or 20 in.

I don't think he fires him on air. I could be wrong, but I remember Yoshi's last podcast and Choe said why he should fire him and Yoshi kind of apologized and Choe kind of excepted, but he was never on again. Not sure if he went into it more in following podcasts, but I left Yoshi's last podcast thinking he would be back.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Was it really about stealing chips or something like that?

I'm working through the earlier ones but didn't get to that point.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Snowy posted:

There were a series of issues leading to Yoshi getting fired, the chips were just the final straw. Yoshi was never contributing to the show, and he'd constantly try to set limits to what could be spoken about on air and do takebacks for things that were already said.

bowser fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 3, 2014

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Snowy posted:

I think Dave was being caricature angry about the chips to be funny (and it was, at first), but it dragged on for like over an hour and it was dumb.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

bowser posted:

On the other hand, I know Bobby Lee is a guest on a ton of different podcasts so I do wonder if he just recycles his stories or if the stuff he says on DVDASA is 'exclusive' to this show.

I've actually heard some of his DVDASA stories pop up in some of his standup I've watched on youtube. They're way funnier on the podcast than in his act.

CrazyAss13
Jun 12, 2002
Awesome Dude

Snowy posted:

I'm sure other things factored in besides the chips, but they we not just plain old chips. They were chips a friend brought back from Japan that you couldn't get in the States. Dave needed them for research because he was about to invest in a company that made chips.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
DVDASA - BBBJTCNQNS DDH

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Lovechop posted:

DVDASA - BBBJTCNQNS DDH

I do not remember the DDH part, but somehow knew BBBJTCNQNS instantly.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

TwistedNails posted:

I do not remember the DDH part, but somehow knew BBBJTCNQNS instantly.

DDH = Dark Dick Hard. That poo poo makes me CIH.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
montblonc

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I was going to complain about the censorship in the latest episode. But I'm kind of glad I didn't have to watch the Pooner eat rear end in a top hat hummus with caviar :barf:.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Aww poo poo, I guess that was only clipped in the video? I would have totally watched him do that. But I never watch any of the videos, so I'm probably missing a lot.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Today's podcast is literally Bill Poon loving a hooker, the audio version.

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL

TwistedNails posted:

Today's podcast is literally Bill Poon loving a hooker, the audio version.

I wasn't expecting that part and started feeling really uncomfortable on the subway. Guess I'll make sure to read the description next time. Of course, I didn't actually stop listening to the podcast or anything...

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Business Octopus posted:

I wasn't expecting that part and started feeling really uncomfortable on the subway.

I did the same thing! Crammed in on the subway this morning right when the Poon scene starts and my headphones blasting. I started sheepishly looking around because it seemed like everyone would be able to hear. At least the ladies squished in next to me were wearing headphones too. Maybe listening to the same thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

What a crazy episode. Bill Poon proves yet again that he is the best person on the show.

• Locked thread