Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1300854/

In Iron Man 2 we were introduced to as close to an alcoholic Tony Stark as a PG-13 rating would allow. Many would credit it as being anywhere from mediocre to especially mediocre, so following that our expectations for a third film probably wouldn't be so high. But then The Avengers happened. So now Iron Man 3 not only needs to follow up on events of IM 1 and 2, but also needs to somehow succeed upon the best drat film of last year. It does.

Like a lot of people I loved this film. I loved that there was so much focus on Tony Stark as being basically just some guy when you boil down to it. He's fragile and hosed up, and everything that goes wrong is somehow his own fault in a way because he's so goddamn cocky. I love how his relationship with Pepper has developed. I even love the relationship he builds with a scruffy, smart-mouthed boy in the film... In almost any normal film or TV show I loving hate these sorts of characters, but goddamn if it doesn't play well with Tony being his usual heartless self.

Obviously the big villain this time around is the Mandarin, one of the oldest villains in the Iron Man comic books. Here he's played as a terrorist with seemingly unlimited resources and technology; basically Bin Laden if he somehow had the means to wage an actual war on US soil. His army of suicide bombers and super powered, nigh-invulnerable henchmen are fantastic. Although at times (especially in the third-act) the Mandarin's goons will seem a bit overpowered considering what we've seen out of the Iron Man suits in the past.

I won't lie, the movie has it's faults. The third act is a bit of a drag, and the ending would seem to indicate that Tony Stark is now invincible. But these faults are minor enough.

Like any Marvel film you should stick around for after the credits. Also expect a massive twist, and if you like Downtown Abbey prepare to squeal with glee... No seriously, some guy behind me did.

All in all I'd be happy if this were the final Iron Man film. I couldn't see where they'd take it from here. Obviously he still has a role in the Avengers' series, but beyond that Tony seems to be in an ok place.

4/5

Pros: Fantastic humor, a good conclusion, a cool twist, the booby rabbit, the scene after the credits, and a more human side of Stark.

Cons: Third act drag, that one woman is a pointless character, overpowered villains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU