Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
I'm glad your wrote in. You brought to attention something I was not aware of about the race that just floored me.

I'll be revising the narrative text as it presents something I don't want in my vision of my rpg.

It was originally written as a response to one of my earlier game testers and while an ecl 0 succubus concept from a techno-wizard demonic culture is not a bad idea per say, it has serious issues with the setting as a whole, which has a tendency to be a lot more lighthearted in game play (heck our last game consisted of rescuing princess, whom ended up being a male cat from a pocket dimension that had the contexture of a bouncy castle).

I'd be open to any and all suggestions on how to revise it as I stew over my options. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'll give you credit, that's a better response than I was expecting. I'd recommend just dropping the sex/age angle entirely (and that awkward "exaggerated female characteristics" line ugh). Bird-women imprisoned by demons is workable, but anything else added to that idea is going to go very unspeakably bad, very quickly.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
no problem

I'm neither trying to rewrite F.A.T.A.L. nor wanting to appear in grognard.txt

Honestly, there are male harlowes, but most were repurposed as aerodemons.

I'm okay with being a bit more gender neutral with their purpose while still basically making them a redone demonic species

(not unlike the verkhail which were heavily influenced by mixing a couple of interpretations of gargoyles with one of my most favorite scifi series in the world: Alien Nation) :D

shades of eternity fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 20, 2016

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, the "female race that's created to be fuckable" is a RPG trope but it's a bad one, generally. Rifts has stuff like the Altara Warrior Women or the Shemarrians but there's no purpose behind them all-female other than the implicit jerkoff quality of the design. Of course, Rifts has that sort of thing and yet at the same time wants to ignore the existence of sexuality, which makes it seem harmless and forgettable at first but then makes it seem stranger and stranger the more you think about it.

It's probably best to think about how you present sex (or sexual violence) in a game, even if there's only a little of it. It's a bit of a funhouse mirror effect where a little can have a big effect because it defines that one thing. In Rifts, when it comes out, it's almost universally unhealthy. And that's pretty much a sign of the game's general immaturity, and while immaturity is part of the game's appeal, it almost never works where sex is concerned.

Got kind of rambly but I hope there's a point in there.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Wait. I thought the Shemarrians were the blind Splugorth warrior-woman clones that developed by parthenogenesis

Edit: I shouldn't really be surprised there would be more than one race I suppose.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The Altara are the blind warrior women who self-clone. How? Why? Who gives a gently caress, here's art of their monstrous master licking one.

Shemmarians are robot warrior women devised by ARCHIE and Hagan Lonovich that are Lonovich's "own adolescent fantasies brought to life".

So it goes.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Maybe this makes me weird, but I didn't get why ARCHIE and Hagan were supposed to be bad until I read that connection. Then it became clear. He's a creap, and ARCHIE is an amoral genius with no socialization. Like you'd expect.

v:v:v

I guess the problem is, it turned out they weren't bad, after all, since they blew up the mechanoids or whatever. I don't remember the details.

Are you still doing those sourcebook summaries? I got addicted to them a couple months ago, but ran out of ones to read.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
The next one's Japan and that's me, I'm still writing it. But not to worry! There will be lots of weeaboo cyborgs and ninja and cyborg ninja soon enough.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Maybe this makes me weird, but I didn't get why ARCHIE and Hagan were supposed to be bad until I read that connection. Then it became clear. He's a creap, and ARCHIE is an amoral genius with no socialization. Like you'd expect.

It mainly just turned out that Hagan - even though he does want to conquer the world with an army of robots - doesn't necessarily just want to see people murdered wholesale by the Mechanoids. He's megalomaniacal but not heartless, as it turns out.

And thanks, I'm glad to hear it! My next review is in the works as well, Fallout kept me pretty distracted for awhile but now that it's over I should be able to focus more on writing (non-PbP) stuff again.

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

This is a hell of a thread--thanks for putting it up! I was deep into Rifts back in the late '90s, when I was a broke-rear end teenager and most of the local stores were thin for Palladium merchandise, but I got a bunch together with money that in retrospect might have been spent better elsewhere, but eh. I ended up getting rid of most of them eventually - Rifts Canada is pretty much the only one I held on to - but it's what got me into RPGs, even though I only ended up playing Rifts through a couple of campaigns on that LFG system Palladium had on their website and chatrooms.

Which makes me realize I have my own minor Palladium story that seemed a bit boggling at the time but, in light of some of the stuff I've read in here, makes complete sense. It's sometime in the back half of 1999, and I'm hanging out in the Palladium chatroom with a bunch of others while the Palladium website hit counter is running close to 1,000,000 - important because they're going to give out some kind of Fabulous Prize™ to whoever gets that hit! I went there and got hit #1,000,004, but as it turns out, hits #1,000,000 to #1,000,003 were from the same group of chatters constantly F5ing and Maryann (I think it was her, at least) tells me that they're flagging mine as the legitimate millionth. The prize was $100 worth of Palladium merch and a mention in one of the early Rifters, where Kevin mangled my name.

Only half of it ever ended up getting to me, though. I ended up getting the Heroes Unlimited 2E main book out of it, and one other thing, but the rest of what I asked for never arrived. I dunno; maybe Kevin decided to deduct postage out of the hundred bucks.

HU2E did come in use, though, when I played a Rogue Scholar with one of the superpowers that converted into natural MDC just so that I didn't have to worry about wearing armor all the time.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

You're welcome! But yeah, it's kind of a microcosm of Palladium's whole "promise big, deliver small" unofficial company motto.

Heroes Unlimited is probably the best side book to have for Rifts, I think if you cross enough books from both lines you end up with some unpublished edition of Gamma World.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Go to https://peginc.com and look at the banner.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm the gaily skipping elf shadowrunner.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

So it will start April 26. I could see this getting 7th Sea money since 'Rifts would be great with a better system' is something that's been repeated endlessly by everyone in the last 25 years.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

EverettLO posted:

So it will start April 26. I could see this getting 7th Sea money since 'Rifts would be great with a better system' is something that's been repeated endlessly by everyone in the last 25 years.

I can't wait to see how Kevin fucks this up.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I can only hope that one of the terms of the agreement was that PEG handles everything about the kickstarter because they do good work on those, and pretty much deliver on time for the prediction or even a bit early.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

unseenlibrarian posted:

I can only hope that one of the terms of the agreement was that PEG handles everything about the kickstarter because they do good work on those, and pretty much deliver on time for the prediction or even a bit early.

Oh, you sweet summer child

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Slimnoid posted:

I can't wait to see how Kevin fucks this up.

If they are involved in the Kickstarter at all, I'm probably going to avoid it like the plague. Or back at the cheapest pdf level to watch the glorious blaming updates that will inevitably follow.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Demon_Corsair posted:

If they are involved in the Kickstarter at all, I'm probably going to avoid it like the plague. Or back at the cheapest pdf level to watch the glorious blaming updates that will inevitably follow.

In interviews Pinnacle reps seem to repeatedly try to suggest they are fully in charge of the production and content with Palladium only involved as the license holder, but I bet something similar would have been said by Ninja Division.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I remember people telling me the same thing about the Robotech minis kickstarter. I also remember laughing at them, but politely resisting an 'I told you so' when KS simply couldn't sit on his hands any longer.

Pinnacle may have a better contract, especially given what happened to Soda Pop and the last Palladium Kickstarter, but there is still no drat way KS will be able to resist the urge to shove his hands in and micromanage things to death.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Especially since they appear to be out of money, while still being on the hook for half a million worth of Robotech minis

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

To be fair, all the crowdfunding Palladium did outside of Kickstarter worked out fine- Lemuria and the Northern Gun books came out, even if NG2 was around 2 years late? The author who I'm sure is lined up for the project also has had a pretty successful kickstarter. Pinnacle has been good as far as I'm aware with their Kickstarters as well.

That all said, Robotech RPG Tactics is infamous now, and Kevin is a notorious micromanager himself who's proven capable of loving up the unfuckable. I think if I were to bet on its success, I'd bet in its favor so far. But I wouldn't bet a lot.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 12, 2016

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I really want to see this book, and I want to see Pinnacle do well by it. A RIFTS adaptation that isn't just a lot of scribbling on the walls of a Geocities neighborhood would be like seeing a unicorn. I know Siembieda can ignore the voices in his head that scream about IP theft, because that N-Gage game actually came out, and they have licensed baffling RIFTS crossover books in the past, but the Robotech Minis clusterfuck is still tumbling along.

It may be different this time, since both Pinnacle and Palladium are experienced RPG developers and players in the industry, but I still wouldn't risk money on the Kickstarter. Palladium's internal crowdfunding may have been successful, but their history dealing with third parties is pretty spotty. :(

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I'm just hesitant to give Palladium money under any circumstance given their business practices, regardless of the risk. That's not to say I won't do it- I bought Rifts Ultimate Edition last year when it was on sale- but it's going to have to have some really compelling bonuses to get me on board.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I might spring for some kind of PDF level, depending, but I am also among those without a lot of faith in Palladium's ability to not somehow gently caress this up massively. It involves less production of physical items, but it is still touching KS's special baby Rifts.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I can only hope that interference from KS is listed under Challenges for this Kickstarter.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Did Ninja Division ever explain their side of things on the Robotech Tactics fiasco? I recall KS throwing them under the bus in his usual "I take full responsibility (but it's totally someone else's fault)" but not if ND ever explained how things got so incredibly derailed.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Isn't the general consensus that their NDA probably screws them over in this regard?

Or there's just no way for them to tell a different version of the story without creating a public spat between companies that are supposed to be cooperating and they're just being professional.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The TG industry is in general so tight that getting into a fight is likely to piss off somebody you don't want to piss off, no matter what the reason. It could also be that there are elements regarding whatever happened that Ninja Division / Soda Pop doesn't want to see aired either, I've heard some unflattering comments on them from others in the industry, but nothing I can substantiate.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Demon_Corsair posted:

I can only hope that interference from KS is listed under Challenges for this Kickstarter.

:laugh:

Stretch goal: KS is forced onto an island with no internet for a sabbatical while we finish the project.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Helical Nightmares posted:

:laugh:

Stretch goal: KS is forced onto an island with no internet for a sabbatical while we finish the project.

There, he comes up with a 212-page manuscript for Rifts: Coconuts

It is released 15 years later

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

JohnnyCanuck posted:

There, he comes up with a 212-page manuscript for Rifts: Coconuts

It is released 15 years later

A spider monkey on the island pitches an idea to Kevin.
They have long conversations filled with great ideas for Rifts: Coconuts and the monkey walks away with a good idea of what to write.
Kevin announces Rifts: Coconuts for sale in 6 months.
The monkey produces 50,000 words and sends it to Kevin for review.
Kevin is pretty busy and pushes the meeting off.
The monkey eventually goes to Kevin to see what changes need to be made.
Silence.
Three years after the supposed release date, a book bearing no resemblance to the monkey's draft if produced.
In the forward Kevin notes that the monkey did some good work, but it just wasn't quite what he had in mind for Rifts: Coconuts so he had to step in and write it himself.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
That's not accurate. Kevin only had to rewrite 75% of the monkey's manuscript, so per the contract, he'll get 25% of the bananas he was promised.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/545820095/rifts-for-savage-worlds

Hit the goal in less than an hour.

Now with awesome stretch goals like:
- $90,000 D-Bee: Grackle Tooth Race information for playing one of the more beloved Rifts® D-Bees, the Mighty Grackle Tooth! (PDF)
- $110,000 D-Bee: D'Norr The D'Norr "Devil People" are a much misunderstood, often maligned D-Bee race, but there's a lot of fun potential in playing one.
- $160,000 Northern Gun Body Armor Set A set of three specially designed sets of Body Armor from Northern Gun: the Cannonball Ride Armor, the NG Maverick Riding Armor, and the NG Peacekeeper Armor. (PDF)
- $190,000 V61 Gunwolf Robot Armor One of Northern Gun's more evocative designs, complete with the wolf head, designed for monster hunting. (PDF)

It seems like all the garbage tier Dbees from War Machine are making the new version for some reason.

On the other hand, there have added PSI stalkers and Dog boys at stretch goals which are much more interesting to me.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Demon_Corsair posted:

- $90,000 D-Bee: Grackle Tooth Race information for playing one of the more beloved Rifts® D-Bees, the Mighty Grackle Tooth! (PDF)
Is this for real? It reminds me of Bill Coffin's rant wherein he refers to the Grinkle-Nosed Hogtailer RCC.

"Grackle Tooth." So it has cute little birds for teeth?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Well, it looks like they're focusing on the "iconic" d-bees the midwest, and those from Coalition War Campaign, the Simvan, and the Grackle Tooth would fill that out. The Triax stuff seems pretty random to me, but it's nice to see them include some of the newer material from the Northern Gun books, so it's not all just going back to decades-old material.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
So I just googled Grackle Tooth and apparently they're laid back cowboy lizardmen and I am okay with this.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, it looks like they're focusing on the "iconic" d-bees the midwest, and those from Coalition War Campaign, the Simvan, and the Grackle Tooth would fill that out. The Triax stuff seems pretty random to me, but it's nice to see them include some of the newer material from the Northern Gun books, so it's not all just going back to decades-old material.

Kevin loves his goddamn Triax for some reason.

It was nice to have Triax weaponry floating around North America as a backstory thing but as a setting it is one of the more boring places. Jump into mech, fight gargoyles is the only minorly interesting thing.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

InfiniteJesters posted:

The more I read about Rifts, the more I'm convinced it's what you'd get if you took all the drawings I did in middle school of mechs and space marine dudes blowing each other up, gave it more budget/proper artists, gave it a more complicated plot with about the same amount of sense, and gave it game mechanics with ludicrous power levels. :v:

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

So, I gave the Tomorrow Legion Player's Guide a read-through this morning and wrote down my impressions. Some highlights:
  • The book is very abstract and generalized unlike the original books. It often talks in generalities when describing the setting instead of specifics.
  • Players are supposed to be members of the Tomorrow Legion, but we don't really get that much detail on what they do per se.
  • Instead of "Man at Arms", we have "Lords of War". Fair enough. Still gender-keyed, I suppose.
  • Not thrilled with all the random rolling for the Hero's Journey tables, but I guess they decided Rifts needs a bunch of dorky random tables to pull choice out of the players' hands.
  • A lot of the art is a soft, airbrushed style lacking detail and doesn't have the comic-book charm of the original, particularly all the d-bees (who often look hairless and pink, even the Dog Boy). I don't care for much of it. The Mind Melter looks rad in all the art he gets, though, I'd like to see more like that.
  • "The only difference between me and you, bubalah-" I see the sample Crazy is Jewish.
  • Nice to see them expand Cyber-Knights out from the original chivalry to "any warrior code of honor" which allows you to play less eurocentric ones if you want.
  • Cyber-Knights and Mystics can "fall" and lose their abilities, as a lazy RPG trope, ugh. It's particularly weird for Cyber-Knights, who apparently lose their cybernetic enhancements... because... reasons?
  • A lot of implied mechanics in Palladium books are now explicit, which is nice. The Boom Gun takes time to set up and brace. Crazies can go berserk. Etc.
  • This book leans too heavily on Charisma penalties as a balancing factor. It seems like every other package or more contains some form of Charisma penalty.
  • Playing a "mundane" skilled concept means you basically start a level up on everybody else, making you super-competent at what you do. While a rogue scholar isn't going to compete combat-wise, they are going to be awesome at scholaring. Which is not ideal but it's solid enough.
  • A lot of the psionic / magic types are now actually effective in a straightforward fight. Bursters in particular are actually really threatening now. It's a big improvement.
  • Shifters are missing, which is too bad, I kinda like them. I get the impression they wanted one magic type for each archetype (Ley Line Walkers = arcane, Mystics = divine, Techno-wizards = weird science) and so Shifters are a bit superfluous, but they really do have a place in the setting.
  • Dragons have a lot of their stronger powers locked behind higher levels and they're still front-loaded as hell.
  • Customizing D-Bees is really cool but there's also a good deal of room for exploitation. I really hate the "extra action" power in particular.
  • Psi-Stalkers are kind of lame. Maybe they were always kind of lame? In any case, their appetites are so big any game with them is going to have the question "Where is the Psi-Stalker having lunch?"
  • Giving Dog Boys penalties near ley lines is gonna be an issue if you've got a Ley Line Walker in your party.
  • A lot of the equipment is much more varied (with different effects for different energy types, for one) and you might not just pick your weapon based on getting the biggest die, shock of shocks.
  • The NG-V7 Hunter Mobile Gun has been castrated.
  • I'm glad I picked up the Science Fiction Companion on a whim, because they keep referring to it.
  • A lot of the character death mechanics aren't to my taste, but I guess it's easy to discard them.
  • Still not thrilled with all of those random tables.

• Locked thread