Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh, hey, how long has this thread been here? My first RPG was finding TMNT in the local library, so I-

MadScientistWorking posted:

the most hilarious class design is actually the one inspired by the Nokia N-Gage.
Wait what :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The N-Gage had "advanced classes" you could level up into (unlike normal Rifts, which just has races, classes, and classes that are also races - it's confusing). One of these was the Elemental Fusionist class, which is a wizard that melds two different magical elements together for unique effects. When they did Rifts Ultimate Edition, they did a tabletop version as well. I'm not sure why it gets so much mockery, I mean, if you're going to have a videogame that puts in a new element, why not put it back in the tabletop game? But I guess anything related to the N-Gage just gets mockery even if it's not bad or anything (or, at least, no worse than any other Rifts class).
Yeah, that seems pretty ordinary. I thought it was inspired by the N-gage itself, not a class which appeared in the Rifts game for the N-gage.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

It says something that when I thought somebody was claiming Rifts had a class based on a failed videogame console slash tacophone, my thoughts were not "that must be a lie" but "how the gently caress does that work".

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Really the core issue is that Siembieda wanted to have a ground slog like World War I, but with the technological and magical advancement in the setting, both sides are reduced to holding the idiot ball. What's more, it's all really railroaded, and there's no acknowledgement that the PCs could change the outcome of the war, and all of the adventures just being sideline battles and whatnot. I remember one particular part where there's an adventure where there's race between the two sides to control a killer satellite! Man, that'd be an exciting, thrilling turn in the course of the war that the PCs could influence, right? Well, no. It's a red herring. The adventure goes so far as to say:

:v:
Wait. It tells you that killsats existing and being operational would distort the hell out of your campaign, so don't include them.

In an adventure about groups trying to get control over an operational killsat.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

You know the Yellowstone supervolcano is an actual thing, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowstone_Caldera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

50 Foot Ant posted:

Oh, yeah. I've known that for years.

The thing was the way Rifts changed after they did all those "We're all going to DIE!" TV specials. When asked specifically about NORAD, KS stated that it was destroyed by the Yellowstone Supervolcano.

It's like 12 hours away from Yellowstone, in a non-volcanic region, embedded inside a mountain.

I understand that the Yellowstone Super Volcano would be severely damaging, but the extent that he ruled it was just outrageous. It apparently vaporized the entire mid-West, dumped over a hundred feet of ash on America, and the rest.

I like the old version of the Great Cataclysm better. :(

Of course, this could have to do with KS's very loose grasp on distance and geography.

Case in point, Sourcebook One lists settlements as being hundreds or thousands of miles apart. So there's, like... um... eight settlements in all of North America?

I just really disliked the Super Volcano thing.
Oh, I see. I hadn't looked at a map to check where NORAD was in relation.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

There's like a quiet paranoia that runs through a lot of the writing on the Rifts books where if the PCs will be given any sizeable power or allowed to defeat any of the major villains, the setting will be wrecked, so it tries to nip that in the bud whenever possible. The general assumption is that PCs will be wandering murderhobos and the idea that characters might shape the world significantly often isn't really taken into account, despite it being a big post-apocalyptic blank slate.
... It's... it's a post-apocalyptic setting. It is already wrecked. That's the point of a post-apocalyptic setting. The only way the PCs could really "destroy" it is by rebuilding civilization. :psyduck:

• Locked thread