Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«439 »
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004

Ere we go, ere we go, ere we go, ere we go through the cosmos
Ere we go, ere we go, ere we go, don't know where till we get there. Da red wunz go fasta

Best GM on the forums next to Tias, even if he is a brony :v

It's never to early to admit you have a problem, just like it's never to early to mock draft. I'd like to spend this time tweaking the OP and making sure everyone has the resources they need to lose horribly to grandma who autodrafted dominate their league. I cribbed some of the information from Dirt Worshipper's OP from last year.

In addition to the links below you can also check out this list from Dynasty League Football. This Reddit post also has a ton of useful information.

Free League Hosting Services
ESPN: ESPN is stable and reliable system that's fairly powerful. It's the one I personally use and have no complaints.
Yahoo: Yahoo has a somewhat clunky interface and terrible “experts” but it’s free and not terribly hard to use.
NFL.com: Flashy interface and integrated video, the NFL seems to be sinking some money into the site. The draft interface is unfortunate.
Fleaflicker: Fleaflicker was owned by AOL for a while, but no longer. It’s a free site and very highly reviewed. The interface is spartan and information-driven and league customization options are deep.
CBS: The grandaddy. There are both free and premium subscriptions.

Premium League Hosting Services
My Fantasy League: Not free. Allows the greatest range of league customization options (both the league web site and rules). Winner of multiple FSTA League Manager Product awards.
CBS: Winner of multiple FSTA League Manager Product awards.

Useful Resources
NBC Rotoworld A great site to go for news and get info on individual players. Tip: Never use their search engine, just do a Google search with player name + rotoworld.
Football Guys: The daily e-mail is free and absolutely worth getting. This is one of the three premium resources I subscribed to this year, so we'll see how it goes.
ProFootballFocus Fantasy They have a free trial for their premium content until July 17, so I plan on checking them out and possibly subscribing.
4For4: Known for their accuracy and highly regarded by other goons. This is the third one I subscribed to.
DraftCalc: Another advice site that includes a very handy links page. Unlike other sites they specialize in sleeper picks and surprise hits. They've made some bold predictions that have panned out in the past, and the owner, Smitty, is very accessible and awesome to talk to.
Football Outsiders: Insanely in-depth statistics and analysis.
Dynasty League Football: Another premium site that offers advice specific to dynasty leagues.
The Fake Football: More rankings and insight, if you haven't had enough. Free.
Reddit Fantasy Football: They're very active and frequently post new information and articles.
LeagueSafe: Online fantasy league escrow service. It has some limitations (no in-season transactions), but the fees are low and it looks pretty decent.
Bleacher Report Fantasy Football Newsletter: Varg recommends this newsletter as a useful source of NFL information and sit/start advice.

Free Draft Resources
Fantasy Football Calculator: Mock draft to your heart's content. Also includes statistics on the average draft position of players who are drafted on the site.
ESPN: Includes projections as well as live draft results.
FantasyPros: Includes consensus ADP rankings along with projections for each offensive position.
FFToday: Another resource for rankings and projections.
FFToolbox: Assuming you're not sick of these yet here are more rankings and projections.
Gridiron Experts: Additional rankings, noted for their accuracy by the FSTA.
Auction Pricing: A very thorough and informative article on auction drafting and how to estimate player value.
Principles of Value Based Drafting: VBD is a core tenant of fantasy football. Read this article to understand what it is and why it matters.

BeerSheets
I make custom cheat sheets that people seem to like. Ask me in the thread or PM me and I can tweak them for you if you have some kind special snowflake scoring system.

Twitter
Want to know when a previously unheard of player is starting, or that your stud is out for the game because of a DUI? Twitter is your friend! These recommendations come from Dirt Worshipper and Azhais.

Football Guys
@Sigmundbloom Produces the excellent "Audible" podcast. My favorite follow.
@MattWaldman Writes the Rookie Scouting Portfolio. I'm not sure he sleeps.
@JeneBramel MD and Football Guy, excellent for injury updates on gameday morning and IDP advice

Misc. Writers
@4for4_Paul - from 4for4, most accurate guy the last couple years
@ChrisWesseling Former writer for NBC rotoworld, works for Falcons media now I think. Not sure if he's still gonna do fantasy when 2013 rolls around. If he does, he's one of the best, and well worth the follow.
@dpbrugler Dane Brugler, former NFL scout and writer for CBS, good follow.
@SC_DougFarrar Doug Farrar of shutdown corner
@LanceZierlein Runs thesidelineview.com, great follow
@Dumonjic_Alen Bleacher report/sidelineview contributor, player evals. Smart kid.

Pro Football Focus
@MikeClayNFL Accurate, prolific, one of the better writers
@JeffRatcliffe Great for IDP
@PFF_RossMiles Also great for IDP, does a weekly IDP show with Ratcliffe
@dynastytim used to write for Dynasty League Football, just joined PFF. Great dynasty follow.

NFL Guys
@AlbertBreer
@gregcosell
@mortreport
@AdamSchefter

Podcasts
Just listen to Azhais:

Azhais posted:

I listen/have listened to approximately all the podcasts. A common theme in the ones I don't like: acting like they are funnier than they are/trying to make it like some sort of morning talk show. I like my (fantasy) football news to be as dry and informative as possible. Ordering here is pretty much straight off the podcast app on my phone so don't read into the ordering.

The Most Accurate Podcast (4for4.com): So far it is pretty content lite (it only started up in March and is focused on redraft leagues, so not real surprising) and is mostly an advertisement for itself ( if I'm listening to the podcast I probably already know about it). 4 for 4 has been one of the most accurate sites for a few years now, so I'll give this one a go til the start of the season anyway.

Shutdown corner (Yahoo): Football news, not fantasy, but Greg Cossell knows his stuff. If you're just interested in general football chat/draft talk, this one is pretty good.

Under the Helmet (DLF): Done by Chad Parsons of dynastyleaguefootball.com (and formerly of PFF I believe). This is about as dry and informative as it gets, even for me. Chad talks like someone on classical NPR, almost whispering into the mic. But he's very informative and very stats/numbers heavy. Primarily focused on dynasty and keeper leagues and he's big on discussing measurables and doing player comparisons.

Fantasytaz: Fantasy Football Power Hour: Not a fan and I don't listen to it anymore. He's got some good information for redraft leagues, but I can't deal with his personality. Lots of people like him, and I follow him on twitter because he actually has some good observations, but he's a little more boisterous than I like out of my radio shows. Shallow complaint to be sure.

Draft Countdown (draftcountdown.com): NFL draft and prospect talk. I like to keep up on the up and comers for dynasty purposes and Scott Wright puts on a good show. Minimal fantasy value outside of dynasty, but if you want to know all about the trials and tribulations of your favourite team's newly drafted backup right guard, this is the place to be.

DLF podcast (dynastyleaguefootball.com): One of my favorites for the offseason anyway. Lots of discussion of the teams and depth charts and waiver advice and sleepers for your dynasty league. Of marginal value for redrafts I expect, but if I can only listen to one or two podcasts some week, this is one of them.

NFL draft tracker (NFL.com): More prospect talk. I rarely end up listening to this one because it ends up being mostly sportscaster style interviews with the recent draftees (aka every running back Who do you feel you pattern your game after? Adrian Peterson), but leading up to the draft they had some pretty decent views on the prospects. Again, very low fantasy value.

Pro Football Focus Fantasy: They have 4 shows.
Quick Snap- Redraft focused. Like all of PFF's podcasts they are heavily numbers based, and being the offseason they are fairly content light at the moment, mostly discussing mock drafts and early projections. I quite like both of the hosts and this is on my short list to listen to each week, tho they need to drop their fake sponsors because the bits aren't that funny (This week's show brought to you by S-Mart!).
The Dynasty Slant- Their dynasty show. Like all dynasty shows the present discussions are on new startups, a lot of trade analysis in the offseason, breakout candidates, waiver stashes, etc. Also on my short list each week.
The Nickel- Their IDP show. Redraft and Dynasty discussions about all things IDP and who is gaining/losing value based on position and scheme changes, who is likely to acquire more or less work, how new rookies are going to displace veterans. Ross Miles breaks it all down with a sexy British accent (if you're in to that sort of thing). An absolute must listen if you do IDP leagues, and Ross has been one of the most accurate IDP analysts for a while now.
The Mike and Taz show- Redraft oriented. Another Fantasy Taz show, which means I don't listen to it because I don't like loud.

Fantasy Football Weekly (KFAN): One of the grand daddy fantasy football radio shows from KFAN in Minnesota. Entirely redraft oriented and offline during the offseason. This airs for two hours every Saturday morning during the regular season which means they aren't at all helpful for Thursday games, but I quite enjoy them overall. They might fall off my list somewhat depending on how I end up liking 4for4's regular season content as one can only listen to so many Sit/Start radio shows, which is the primary focus of this one.

Fantasy Focus Football (ESPN): Matthew Berry's daily fantasy show. Rapidly falling off my list just due to how much random crap they do that isn't all that focused on fantasy football (this goes back to my morning radio complaint up top), but I do make a point to listen to the Thursday (or Friday? its been a while since the regular season) show when they do the injury updates/training camp reports. Other than that they have a lot of gimmick shows, and a lot of sit/start type advice. As entertaining as listening to some pro wrestler grade trades is I spend my time elsewhere most of the time.

The Audible (footballguys.com): Pretty much everything FBG does is decent, and the Audible is no different. Others have already discussed this one, so I'll leave it there. I could do without the rap intros however. FBG also does "On the Couch" which is their live show with various guests, and that one is pretty hit or miss depending on the guests/topics.

FFToolbox: Fantasy Football Toolbox, in contrast to their name, is a pretty general fantasy sports site. I've found its real hit or miss if the show is going to be about football, or baseball, or hockey (or all three). Perhaps during the regular season it is more focused, but I've taken it off my subscription list just because I don't like the Fantasy Sports Roulette that the podcast seems to be. I might give it a shot again once the season starts up, but I've got enough to listen to

Tuesdays with Aaron: Aaron Rodgers' weekly show

There are a variety of others that I've taken off my subscription lists just due to volume of things I listen to, low content, or just being too gameshow-y (or just not liking the hosts for one reason or another.) CBS's podcast, NFL fantasy live, dynasty football warehouse, the fantasy football guys (not to be confused with the football guys), probably others.

tl;dr- Send Help

Introduction
Fantasy Football is basically Dungeons & Dragons for jocks football fans. You assemble a roster of individual players from across the National Football League, and then each week the individual performance of the player is tracked and scored. Positive actions like passing, catching, scoring touchdowns, or making field goals give you points. In some leagues negative actions like fumbles, interceptions, or missing a field goal can take away points. At the end of each Monday Night Football game your total score is added up to determine how well you did that week. In many leagues you are pitted against another team for a head-to-head match that determines a winner and a loser. At the end of the season the teams with the most wins will participate in a playoff tournament. The winner of the playoffs will be the champion.

Fantasy Football is a lot of fun. Not only do you get to make a game out of watching football, but it also forces you to learn about the sport as a whole. I would never have known (or cared) that last year Darren McFadden was struggling with the Raider's transition from a power blocking scheme to a zone block until he became my first round draft pick and started costing me games. It makes you a better fan when you know all the players on the field. Dirt Worshipper said it best:

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Before I played fantasy I despised it. We all know the obnoxious guy at the sports bar in the Brady jersey, running in between TV’s screaming ”Throw Jennings the ball!”. They disagree fundamentally with the lessons our fathers taught us about football: You root for your home team, through good years and bad. The bad years are meant to be borne with grim fidelity, the good years are our reward. Fantasy was just wrong.
But then I tried it. I joined a work league and had a blast. Rooting for your “real” football team and your fantasy one are not (usually) mutually exclusive. You need not become that guy. Fantasy has not made me a worse fan. On the contrary, my knowledge of the entire league has grown. I’m able to really enjoy more than one game every Sunday. If you love football, give fantasy a try.

The Basics
A league consists of several owners (typically 12), one of whom is the commissioner who manages the league. At the beginning of the season each owner drafts a roster of players. Rosters are typically fifteen players and consist of starters and a bench of reserve players to replace starters who are injured or on bye weeks. A typical starting lineup that will mirror NFL positions and consist of 1 Quarterback (QB), 2 Running Backs (RB), 3 Wide Receivers (WR), 1 Tight End (TE), a Place Kicker (PK), and a Team Defense/Special Teams (DST).

Each week your players will score points for your team according to their performance. Scoring can be very simple or incredibly complicated depending on the league, but many leagues use a standard scoring system where passing provides 1 point per 25 yards, 4 points per passing touchdown, and -1 point per interception and receiving and rushing gain 1 point per 10 yards, 6 points per receiving/rushing touchdown. Field goals are typically worth 3 points, and team defense scoring depends on a number of factors including sacks, interceptions, points allowed, defensive touchdowns, etc. Many leagues will use different scoring systems depending on the preferences of the players. One significant difference is PPR, or Points Per Reception, where wide receiver are awarded a set number of points (typically 0.5 or 1) for every reception.

The league season will go for a set number of weeks during the regular NFL season. Typically the last two to four weeks of the regular season are reserved for the playoffs, and most leagues end on the sixteenth week because many NFL teams will sit their star players in Week 17 if the outcome doesn't matter.

Variations
There are many roster variations that different leagues will use. Many leagues use a flex position where different positions can fit into a slot. The most common form of flex position replaces the third WR position in the standard lineup above with a WR/RB/TE flex position. That means that any Wide Receiver, Running Back, or Tight End player could be used in that slot. Leagues where that flex position allows a QB are typically called "2 QB leagues" because quarterbacks typically score far more points that other players. Other leagues utilize IDP or Individual Defensive Players instead of Team Defenses. IDP players score points for tackles, sacks, interceptions, touchdowns, etc. Many leagues are several years old and include rules to provide continuity between seasons. In contrast to a redraft league where every player is drafted at the start of each season some leagues use keepers where team owners are allowed to keep a set number of players per year. Other leagues are dynasty leagues where the entire roster is kept from year to year. Typically dynasty leagues use much deeper benches and include a rookie draft.

The Draft
Every league starts with a draft, where team owner pick their players. There are two major types of draft; the snake draft and the auction draft. A snake draft is where every owner receives a draft position and then picks a player in order for a number of rounds equal to the roster size. It's called a snake draft because the order "snakes" back and forth each round. In other words the owner who picked last in the first round will pick first in the second. Auction drafts are where each team owner has a set budget and they bid for each player until everyone's roster has been filled. There are numerous drafting strategies out there, but ultimately the goal of any draft is to get the maximum amount of value for your players.

Trades and the Waiver Wire
While drafting is essential, the most successful teams typically win by taking advantage of the waiver wire and trades. Trading is precisely what it sounds like; players offer each other trades that are accepted or rejected. Many leagues incorporate an approval process to prevent collusion where two players will deliberately stack one team and then split the winnings; there is no universe where Adrian Peterson is worth Mark Sanchez. Depending on the league trading may either be nonexistent or commonplace. Many leagues will end trading several weeks before the playoffs begin.

The NFL has hundreds of players and most of them will not be on a team roster. As players are injured or fall out of favor team owners will be forced to pick up free agents to replace them. To do this they use the waiver wire. Each week individual players are locked the moment their team starts their game. For the duration of this "waiver period" owners who wish to claim a free agent submit a "waiver claim." Owners who wish to make more than one waiver claim must indicate the priority of their claims. At the end of the waiver period (typically a day or two after the beginning of the new week) the league software checks the standings of the teams. Going in reverse order (worst standing to highest) the teams get their highest priority claim. If multiple teams have submitted waiver claims for the same player it will go the team with the lowest standing, and the other teams will get their lower priority claims. After the waiver period has ended every player is available to be claimed immediately. The waiver wire is extremely important. Alfred Morris, the 5th ranked running back of 2012, was a free agent in most leagues until the first week. Many owners use the waiver wire to "stream" defenses and other players based on that week's match.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at Sep 4, 2013 around 15:51

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Nice op!

You can add the GoonTier league to the list of leagues. It's just about full, but I imagine some might have lost interest since the thread first went up.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004

Ere we go, ere we go, ere we go, don't know where till we get there. Da red wunz go fasta

Thanks! I added your league to the list.

I was wondering if you guys could help me with two things. First, I remember last year there was a really useful website that let you compare up to four players for sit/start information. It was a free site, and for the life of my I can't remember the name. Any ideas?

Second, I'd love to get some ideas on league scoring. We're all familiar with the standard scoring system, but is that really the best one? What tweaks or other ideas have you guys considered for your league? I'm debating with the idea of adding 0.5 PPR to our league. Normally under standard scoring running backs are essential; the elite level players provide significantly more benefit than wide receivers. Later on down the line that behavior changes, but at that point you're looking at people who wouldn't be starting in a 12 person league. On the other hand if you add 0.5 PPR it provides a level of parity between RBs and WRs. I put together a graph showing a comparison between standard and 0.5 PPR using last year's stats.

What do you guys think?

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011

I think 0.5 PPR is the way to go. That way if your best running back is injured/lovely you still have a chance with your receiver set.

fariz
Nov 10, 2009

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Nawid posted:

I think 0.5 PPR is the way to go. That way if your best running back is injured/lovely you still have a chance with your receiver set.

This is the way our league operates, and it works really well. We did 1.0 PPR the first year, and it was way too much.

I've had the itch so bad since the real draft. Ugh. Did a 14 team mock just a minute ago and seemed pretty shocked at how the team turned out (when I've done larger league mocks before my teams always look horrendous) For a PPR league

QB Newton / Flynn
RB Foster / Sproles / McGahee / B. Brown / Benson
WR Harvin / Wayne / Austin / Sanders / Holmes
TE Gresham
D Pittsburgh

fariz fucked around with this message at May 5, 2013 around 15:32

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

The Sleeperbot Draft Board was a great resource last year for custom league drafts. They make a big deal about it being free for 2012, so I don't know if it will be free for 2013.

Footballguys has a decent free "rate my team" webapp. It does a fair job of analyzing your team post-draft versus the consensus projections and telling you where your holes are.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004

I had an idea for a charity league and I wanted your input on it. It would be a $20 buy-in league using ESPN standard rules along with 0.5 PPR, although I might tweak the FG rules to make missed field goals only count for negative points if they're under 30 yards. The major thing is that each player would select a charity to play for, and then whoever wins the league has that money go to their respective charity. I had two questions:

1) What would be the best way to handle the money? Kickstarter? IndieGoGo? Paypal? Something else?

2) I was tossing around an idea of "Cheating for Charity" to encourage more money into the pot. The basic idea is that every week players (and possibly outsiders) would have the option to donate cash to each team for points. It would be $1 for every point added to the score for that week. To keep things fair you would only be able to donate cash up until the point where the first game started (ie the first game on Thursday). All money donated after that point would go to the following week. Does this sound like a good idea?

If I ran something like this would people be interested? Should I drop the cheating mechanic entirely and just focus on a regular league game? I was hoping to see if I could get maybe donated avatars or some other kind of reward for the player who won.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

This is an accurate representation of my current level of enjoyment.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

2) I was tossing around an idea of "Cheating for Charity" to encourage more money into the pot. The basic idea is that every week players (and possibly outsiders) would have the option to donate cash to each team for points. It would be $1 for every point added to the score for that week. To keep things fair you would only be able to donate cash up until the point where the first game started (ie the first game on Thursday). All money donated after that point would go to the following week. Does this sound like a good idea?

... Should I drop the cheating mechanic entirely and just focus on a regular league game?

This is an awesome mechanic, and I think it can't do anything but help. Just speaking to the motivational aspects, I think it would be really helpful if a portion of the pot did go to the league winner, just to encourage said "cheating." Nothing major--perhaps 5-10% of the total pot. I think this would encourage people to "buy-in" and pay for wins to a certain point. Someone more well-versed in economic science could probably tell you the exact price point where marginal utility and cost-benefit intersect.

Unfortunately, I can't comment on the first point.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004

HiroProtagonist posted:

This is an awesome mechanic, and I think it can't do anything but help. Just speaking to the motivational aspects, I think it would be really helpful if a portion of the pot did go to the league winner, just to encourage said "cheating." Nothing major--perhaps 5-10% of the total pot. I think this would encourage people to "buy-in" and pay for wins to a certain point. Someone more well-versed in economic science could probably tell you the exact price point where marginal utility and cost-benefit intersect.

Unfortunately, I can't comment on the first point.

That's an interesting idea. Off the top of my head I could see the winner getting a portion equivalent to the number of teams. So if I have 12 teams then the winner would get 1/12th of the pot. That way even if nobody "cheats" then at least they get their entry fee back.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

First, I remember last year there was a really useful website that let you compare up to four players for sit/start information. It was a free site, and for the life of my I can't remember the name. Any ideas?

Was it the one from FantasyPros?

http://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004

Azhais posted:

Was it the one from FantasyPros?

http://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/

It might have been. That's the site I have saved on my toolbar so I think it was.

my shitty cat
Apr 24, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I had an idea for a charity league and I wanted your input on it. It would be a $20 buy-in league using ESPN standard rules along with 0.5 PPR, although I might tweak the FG rules to make missed field goals only count for negative points if they're under 30 yards. The major thing is that each player would select a charity to play for, and then whoever wins the league has that money go to their respective charity. I had two questions:

1) What would be the best way to handle the money? Kickstarter? IndieGoGo? Paypal? Something else?

Leaguesafe is an escrow service that links directly to MFL and other league sites, used by lots of Fantasy people with reasonably good feedback.

my shitty cat
Apr 24, 2007

Also is Cam Newton going to be good this year because I just don't know

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004

BIGFOOT PEE BED posted:

Leaguesafe is an escrow service that links directly to MFL and other league sites, used by lots of Fantasy people with reasonably good feedback.

Interesting. I'll have to check it out. Only paying $1.50 for a paper check and 3% credit card fees isn't terrible. Unfortunately I'm not sure what they mean about leagues where the majority of winnings comes from in-season transactions, as I could see that being a problem for the "Cheating for Charity" aspect.

BIGFOOT PEE BED posted:

Early estimates say a tier below elite level, around the 4th or 5th ranked QB. His schedule looks pretty rough, but he was pretty reliable last year. I wouldn't go out of my way to get him but he would make a decent pick after you've shorn up your RB needs.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

BIGFOOT PEE BED posted:

He still finished around top 5 overall, I would say he's going to be criminally underrated because he actually improved a bit in real life but somewhere around round 5 is a steal (think like the Eli Mannings/Romo of the past).

extendedsolo
Oct 13, 2005

Yes, this is going to hurt.

What's too early to draft a QB this year? 10 team league assuming. 1st round too early I'm assuming also. O/U #15 overall.

I would say before 15 is too early.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007

extendedsolo posted:

What's too early to draft a QB this year? 10 team league assuming. 1st round too early I'm assuming also. O/U #15 overall.

Realistically before about 50 is too early. There's a solid 10-12 QBs that should put up QB1 numbers this year. Why take a QB at 15 when it is that deep?

In my recent dynasty draft I didn't take a QB til round 9 and still got a guy that should be top 10 this year.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I get two keepers this year. Last year I kept Matt Stafford in the 18th round. This year I have the option of keeping Stafford at the same round, RGIII in round 9, and/or CJ Spiller in round 13. Standard scoring, 10 team H2H league. My gut says to keep RGIII and Spiller. Is there any reason not to? Does Stafford's value rise above Spiller because of the round the pick is in?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007

RCarr posted:

I get two keepers this year. Last year I kept Matt Stafford in the 18th round. This year I have the option of keeping Stafford at the same round, RGIII in round 9, and/or CJ Spiller in round 13. Standard scoring, 10 team H2H league. My gut says to keep RGIII and Spiller. Is there any reason not to? Does Stafford's value rise above Spiller because of the round the pick is in?

I wouldn't keep stafford AND rg3. Spiller is going round one in startup drafts, so not keeping him as a 13th would be criminal. After that its a matter of Stafford vs trusting RG3 is 100%. RG3 has a higher ceiling, but Stafford is the safer play, so really a matter of your own personal risk tolerance.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004

extendedsolo posted:

Personally I'm going to most likely draft QB very late. RB is far too weak to pick up a QB early.

RCarr posted:

Spiller is a legitimate round 1 pick, so getting him in round 13 is fantastic. Just checking early estimates it looks like Stafford actually has a higher ADP than RG3, although I'm not sure how much I believe that. Regardless getting him in round 18 is awesome, especially given how deep quarterback is this year. I'm a total Redskins homer and I'm saying snag Stafford over RG3.

Given how deep QB is this year are there other players you might want to consider? Say another RB?

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

hail

I get to keep Charles and Martin for a combined $11 and I couldn't be happier.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004

I'm debating whether or not I should suggest a keeper league for my family. I have some fortunate selections, like Adrian Peterson (2nd Round), Jamaal Charles (3rd Round), and Alfred Morris (Waiver Wire). I suspect they'll look at my options and laugh.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

Kobra Kommandant

- Superbowl XXXV -
Ravens 35, Giants 7

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm debating whether or not I should suggest a keeper league for my family. I have some fortunate selections, like Adrian Peterson (2nd Round), Jamaal Charles (3rd Round), and Alfred Morris (Waiver Wire). I suspect they'll look at my options and laugh.

You decide on a keeper league before a draft. Make it a keeper league, hash out the keeper rules, throw everyone back in this draft, and do the keeper draft next season.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

hail

Yeah you definitely can't turn it into a keeper league now, that would be really unfair.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Correct. You don't turn a re-draft league into a keeper league without completely redrafting the first year.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004

Makes sense. Maybe I'll suggest keepers this year after a redraft, we'll see what people think.

Combo
Aug 18, 2003

If you're going to suggest keepers, do it before a draft. That way people can draft with keepers in mind, which changes strategy at least a little bit.

SAMB0
Jul 9, 2004

Space Bear.
Destroyer of Worlds.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Makes sense. Maybe I'll suggest keepers this year after a redraft, we'll see what people think.

Suggest it before the draft, it definitely impacts draft strategy especially in the later rounds.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Personally I'm going to most likely draft QB very late. RB is far too weak to pick up a QB early.

Spiller is a legitimate round 1 pick, so getting him in round 13 is fantastic. Just checking early estimates it looks like Stafford actually has a higher ADP than RG3, although I'm not sure how much I believe that. Regardless getting him in round 18 is awesome, especially given how deep quarterback is this year. I'm a total Redskins homer and I'm saying snag Stafford over RG3.

Given how deep QB is this year are there other players you might want to consider? Say another RB?

This was my draft:

1. McFadden
2. A.P.
3. Nicks
4. Nelson
5. Ryan Mathews
6. Maclin
7. Pettigew (dropped)
8. Green-Ellis (traded away)
9. Denarius Moore
10. RGIII
11. Titus Young (dropped)
12. Roethlisberger (Traded)
13. Spiller
14. New York Giants D
15. Trash
16. Trash
17. Trash
18. Stafford

Seems like I should definitely keep Spiller. Then my second choice is either RGIII/Stafford or maybe A.P., or Mathews?

Combo
Aug 18, 2003

Ryan Mathews is poo poo

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004

RCarr posted:

Then my second choice is either RGIII/Stafford or maybe A.P., or Mathews?

I'm sorry, are you asking me if taking ADRIAN loving PETERSON is a good idea?

The answer is you take Adrian Peterson and CJ Spiller. Adrian is absolutely worth a 2nd round draft pick, and getting CJ Spiller in the 13th is just icing. Running back depth is nonexistant this year, and you have a chance to get three first round running backs without breaking a sweat. Do so.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The answer is you take Adrian Peterson and CJ Spiller. Adrian is absolutely worth a 2nd round draft pick, and getting CJ Spiller in the 13th is just icing. Running back depth is nonexistant this year, and you have a chance to get three first round running backs without breaking a sweat. Do so.

No doubt, AP is going #1 overall, Spiller at like #8 by most ADP. Getting them both for a second and thirteenth rounder seems amazing.

edit: And then use that first on AJ or Dez or even Megatron depending on how early you are picking. 3 super studs on the starting roster is a hell of a head start.

Azhais fucked around with this message at May 6, 2013 around 19:11

Militree
Jul 12, 2007

Steeler Nation is strong. They've accepted the beard. They believe in the beard, and the beard believes in them.

I'm in a two player keeper league. Would you suggest keeping AJ Green or Brandon Marshall (both kept with using a second round pick). My other keeper is Alfred Morris from off the waiver, hell yeah.

.5 PPR, 10 teams.

Militree fucked around with this message at May 6, 2013 around 20:51

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011

Militree posted:

I'm in a two team keeper league. Would you suggest keeping AJ Green or Brandon Marshall (both kept with using a second round pick). My other keeper is Alfred Morris from off the waiver, hell yeah.

.5 PPR, 10 teams.
Green, he's significantly younger. Marshall might have the better immediate season but if we're looking past that at all, Green is a easy pick.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004

Nawid posted:

Green, he's significantly younger. Marshall might have the better immediate season but if we're looking past that at all, Green is a easy pick.

I agree. Right now they're pretty much even as far as predictions go, but long term Green has a higher upside.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.

I'm trying to get a dynasty auction trade going for another RB. 12 man, Non-PPR, $200 auction you pay the same price you paid last year for up to 4 keepers. Note that not all these people were drafted in the same year, hence weirdness with Grok being $1.

My Team
code:
Andrew Luck - $17
Doug Martin - $24
Calvin Johnson - $34
Marques Colston - $17
Danny Amendola - $1

(And a bunch of trash that has no chance of being keepers)
His Team
code:
Arian Foster - $68
Jamaal Charles - $40
Trent Richardson - $25
Rob Gronkowski - $1

(his trash below to give an idea on his needs)
Matt Schaub
Steve Smith
Greg Little
Hakeem Nicks
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Davone Bess
Dallas Clark
I'm trying to pull one of those stud RBs out of his pile. I'm considering a straight up Richardson for Johnson but I feel like that's giving up an awful lot. Am I overvaluing Johnson in a non-PPR league? He is getting older and I don't really see Detroit's offense suddenly setting the world on fire... Then again, he's loving Megatron. Richardson and Martin both appeal to me because they are young and project very well, if I can keep both cost controlled forever my RB situation is going to always look fine.

Thoughts?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004

Footballguys currently rates Johnson as the #1 dynasty option, for what it's worth. He has several years worth of value left in him. Personally I would keep Martin and Johnson.

Hey guys I'm still working on the OP. I want to split the resource section into free and premium products. What services have you paid for and recommend? What free sites do you constantly check?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

A.P. in the second round is better value than RG3 in the 10th? I guess I don't understand this game too well because getting arguably the best fantasy QB in round 10 seems like a hell of a steal. A.P. in the second is nice but doesn't seem anywhere as valuable.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

RG3 will break like a rag doll. QB is also relatively deep. RB is really weak with only 2-3 elite weekly starters, AP being one. Call is yours but AP is way more scarce than QBs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

hail

RCarr posted:

A.P. in the second round is better value than RG3 in the 10th? I guess I don't understand this game too well because getting arguably the best fantasy QB in round 10 seems like a hell of a steal. A.P. in the second is nice but doesn't seem anywhere as valuable.

Think of it like the trade value chart for the NFL draft - the difference in value between getting the #1 pick for the cost of just a second round pick massively dwarfs the difference in the value of getting a 6th rounder in the 10th - this is before even considering injuries and positional scarcity.

«439 »