Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minitrue
Aug 6, 2010
Steroids cause baldness? Does baldness cause rings? If so, LeBron will win many.

Is LeBron trying to hide his use by desperately clinging to what little hair he has left? If he went with a razor would he have more rings by now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Ernie Johnson heavy steroid user

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Remember the flu game? The flu game or STEROID WITHDRAWEL GAME HMMMM????

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Magnetic North posted:

Jordan didn't do steroids because the NBA is loving rigged a hell so no one botherss.

True fact.

Not rigged. It's just that you have referees who are 50+ years old trying to keep up with the greatest athletes on the planet in their prime. Old people can't even drive cars on country roads correctly.

What I'm saying is that the referees need to juice.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Fleetwood posted:

People forget that Isiah Thomas was a super cool guy.

A random Isiah Thomas story: Isiah had an illegitimate son who I went to school with, who had nothing to do with sports and had entirely different interests other than basketball. I had no idea who his dad was until it came up in discussion, thanks to another guy wearing one of those old caricature-style '80s t-shirts with a cartoon Larry Bird and Isiah Thomas. Sure enough, this guy looked exactly like cartoon Isiah.

Chacmool
Apr 12, 2007

Jesus christ Scotty's leg in t he OP's pic :stare:

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
This is Bill Simmon's "PED checklist":

Bill Simmons posted:

PED profiling.

Think about that phrase again. Hasn't it become an essential part of following sports? Why won't we admit it? ...

Some of my favorite ways include …

• Skip the Olympics (which has much stricter drug testing) in your prime for any dubious reason and you're on the list.

• Enjoy your best season in years in your late 30s, four or five years after your last "best season," and you're on the list.

• If you're a skinny dude who miraculously managed to add 20 pounds of muscle to your scarecrow frame, you're on the list.

• If you chopped down the recovery time of a debilitating injury to something that just didn't seem possible a year ago, you're on the list.

• If you were really good and really ripped at a really young age, and now your body is breaking down much sooner than it should be breaking down, you're on the list.

• If you're exhibiting a level of superhuman endurance that has little correlation to the endurance of any of your competitors, you're on the list. ...
Jordan qualifies for all of them.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

C. Everett Koop posted:

Luc Longley off all people, who didn't require much sleep and had a BDSM-streak that swarfed The Worm's.

haha wait, what?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

cisneros posted:

I e-mailed him about it but he hasn't run it :(

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

cisneros posted:

Is that list all or nothing or if you fall into one are you on the list? Because if its just one then that's like 99% of all the pro athletes on earth. So basically everyone is on a level playing field and steroids should be ok?

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
the more drugs in sports the better imo. bring on acid league football and based-ball and pcpolo

what on earth is that man doing to his horse

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Did someone say they wanted one for Kobe? Here is a mockup of his business card

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Cole posted:

Is that list all or nothing or if you fall into one are you on the list? Because if its just one then that's like 99% of all the pro athletes on earth. So basically everyone is on a level playing field and steroids should be ok?
yeah, if being a skinny dude who puts on some muscle weight automatically means you're on the juice then I guess like every single formerly skinnyfat goon in YLLS is roided to the gills

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Moe_Rahn posted:

yeah, if being a skinny dude who puts on some muscle weight automatically means you're on the juice then I guess like every single formerly skinnyfat goon in YLLS is roided to the gills
The thing that you understand with Michael was that he's a very smart man. He made his steroid use very gradual so people wouldn't notice it until it was too late.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Moe_Rahn posted:

well i mean not all of them

just the ones who take getting swole seriously

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

toggle posted:

haha wait, what?

Yea this requires more explanation please haha

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Sorry, I have to, er, "protect my sources" on stuff like that. Yeah. Cough cough. But here's another story about Jordan's time with the Wizards, and while there's plenty of stuff to hit on I'll stick with the general overview of it.

After Jordan retired, in part because the Bulls barely held together in their second threepeat, in part because of the lockout, he wanted to either coach or be in the front office. No one wanted Jordan to coach because his style was always more stick than carrot, if you get what I mean (and if you don't read just about any story about Jordan and his teammates). The Bulls and Hornets offered him token positions, where he'd be more of a figurehead and a community relations leader. Jordan didn't want that, thinking he could run a team. No one really bit for a while, so enter David Stern.

The Bullets/Wizards had been down for several years in the late 90's despite having the main two of the Fab 5 in Chris Webber and Juwan Howard. But Webber pouted his way to a trade to Sacramento and the team couldn't gel, finishing in the basement in the '99 strike year. Needing anything to give that franchise a kick, Stern pitched to owner Abe Pollin of having Jordan run his team, in return the Wizards would get the number one pick in the draft (that's another story, but Stern's used the draft as leverage for years to get what he wants, that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone). Jordan agreed and Pollin sold a small percentage of the team to Jordan as a sign of good faith.

Jordan, as we all know by now, was terrible as a GM, repeatedly going into practices and the locker room to curse out players he didn't think were trying hard enough or good enough to be on his team. He got sick enough of Juwan Howard moping around to do that blockbuster trade with Dallas, just to prove a point that Jordan would deal anyone at anytime, even though he lost just about every personnel move he made. It also led to Jordan still thinking he was better than anyone on his team, and that he could still play the game. Abe Pollin agreed, on the basis that 41 home games of Jordan was exactly what he needed to make some money off the team.

Part of his comeback (which was to be announced on 9/11, obviously got shifted to the back burner and led to Jordan donating all of his modest salary to charity, which is part of Jordan/Nike's PR mastery and might be the only decent part of this story) involved Jordan having to sell back the portion of his ownership to Abe Pollin, who said that he'd resell after Jordan retired again. Jordan retained control over all personnel matters, hiring Doug Collins as his coach and shifting the roster around to his whims. Part of that included what to do with the #1 overall pick.

Jordan's scouting mostly consisted of playing pickup games with handpicked players, I can't remember exactly but I believe those who played were Kwame Brown, Tyson Chandler, Eddy Curry, Eddie Griffin, Rodney White, and Richard Jefferson. He didn't work out Pau Gasol because Jordan still thought Euro players were soft, he didn't work out Shane Battier because Duke, and he didn't work out Joe Johnson or Jason Richardson because they were 2 guards and Jordan didn't want to waste the pick on his position. Brown played the best, as Curry and Chandler were both incomplete big men and the other three didn't impress Jordan, who wanted a big man with his pick. And so Jordan made Kwame Brown the #1 pick in the 2011 NBA Draft.

Brown, like everyone else did in those games, played his heart out to impress Jordan, who had been a childhood idol. But Brown had always been the best athlete as he rose up the ranks and never learned how to work hard, which quickly became evident once he joined the team. Had Jordan been willing to nurture Brown he could have made something of his talent, but because Jordan broke down his teammates to prove that he was the alpha dog, Brown didn't know how to react, and once Jordan soured on Brown, it was all over.

It came to a quick head midway through the 2001-2002 season, where Jordan and Brown had some incidental contact during a drill. Jordan grabbed Brown and slammed him onto the court, and proceeded to unleash a torrent of profane insults on the rookie. Collins and a couple other veterans, I know Popeye Jones and Hubert Davis for sure, also joined in and dogcussed the rookie out of the gym. Instead of using the abuse as motivation, Brown sunk into a depression and his career really never recovered.

Even after turning more of the roster over and getting his guys in, like Jerry Stackhouse and close friend Charles Oakley, Jordan grew tired of the team and what he felt were overpayed, underperforming players who were profiting greatly off of the work that guys like he, Magic and Bird put in. He retired after two years, of which the only memorable public moments were Mariah Carey's dress at the All-Star Game and the Nike ad where he played himself (and there's a story about the shooting of that ad I need to tell at some point here).

True to their agreement, Jordan sat down with Pollin and wanted to buy back his share of the team for the same price as before. Pollin, now with leverage and with a franchise that was worth more thanks to the two years of home sellouts, changed the deal, saying Jordan's shares were going to cost more and that Jordan wasn't going to have personnel control over the team, seeing how bad a job he had done in that regard before. An incensed Jordan cursed out Pollin and said that once Pollin died, Jordan was going to piss on his grave, and left D.C. David Stern was brought in to mediate but neither side was interested in reconciliation, and Jordan stayed away from the league for several years. He came back in with the Bobcats as he bought a minority share and had personnel control, used his option of first refusal when Johnson wanted to sell, and is now the majority figurehead of the organization.

As for Pollin, he died in 2009, and there's a rumor that in his personal collection, Jordan has a photo of him pulling a Calvin on Pollin's grave. He'll never admit it unless you're in inner, inner circle, and no one would admit to taking the photo as long as Jordan still breathes.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Kyoon I thought you were more into Olympics/Doping conspiracies than basketball. Nice to see you branch out.

cisneros posted:

By that list, he qualifies for like 3 of them.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

C. Everett Koop posted:

Sorry, I have to, er, "protect my sources" on stuff like that. Yeah. Cough cough. But here's another story about Jordan's time with the Wizards, and while there's plenty of stuff to hit on I'll stick with the general overview of it.

After Jordan retired, in part because the Bulls barely held together in their second threepeat, in part because of the lockout, he wanted to either coach or be in the front office. No one wanted Jordan to coach because his style was always more stick than carrot, if you get what I mean (and if you don't read just about any story about Jordan and his teammates). The Bulls and Hornets offered him token positions, where he'd be more of a figurehead and a community relations leader. Jordan didn't want that, thinking he could run a team. No one really bit for a while, so enter David Stern.

The Bullets/Wizards had been down for several years in the late 90's despite having the main two of the Fab 5 in Chris Webber and Juwan Howard. But Webber pouted his way to a trade to Sacramento and the team couldn't gel, finishing in the basement in the '99 strike year. Needing anything to give that franchise a kick, Stern pitched to owner Abe Pollin of having Jordan run his team, in return the Wizards would get the number one pick in the draft (that's another story, but Stern's used the draft as leverage for years to get what he wants, that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone). Jordan agreed and Pollin sold a small percentage of the team to Jordan as a sign of good faith.

Jordan, as we all know by now, was terrible as a GM, repeatedly going into practices and the locker room to curse out players he didn't think were trying hard enough or good enough to be on his team. He got sick enough of Juwan Howard moping around to do that blockbuster trade with Dallas, just to prove a point that Jordan would deal anyone at anytime, even though he lost just about every personnel move he made. It also led to Jordan still thinking he was better than anyone on his team, and that he could still play the game. Abe Pollin agreed, on the basis that 41 home games of Jordan was exactly what he needed to make some money off the team.

Part of his comeback (which was to be announced on 9/11, obviously got shifted to the back burner and led to Jordan donating all of his modest salary to charity, which is part of Jordan/Nike's PR mastery and might be the only decent part of this story) involved Jordan having to sell back the portion of his ownership to Abe Pollin, who said that he'd resell after Jordan retired again. Jordan retained control over all personnel matters, hiring Doug Collins as his coach and shifting the roster around to his whims. Part of that included what to do with the #1 overall pick.

Jordan's scouting mostly consisted of playing pickup games with handpicked players, I can't remember exactly but I believe those who played were Kwame Brown, Tyson Chandler, Eddy Curry, Eddie Griffin, Rodney White, and Richard Jefferson. He didn't work out Pau Gasol because Jordan still thought Euro players were soft, he didn't work out Shane Battier because Duke, and he didn't work out Joe Johnson or Jason Richardson because they were 2 guards and Jordan didn't want to waste the pick on his position. Brown played the best, as Curry and Chandler were both incomplete big men and the other three didn't impress Jordan, who wanted a big man with his pick. And so Jordan made Kwame Brown the #1 pick in the 2011 NBA Draft.

Brown, like everyone else did in those games, played his heart out to impress Jordan, who had been a childhood idol. But Brown had always been the best athlete as he rose up the ranks and never learned how to work hard, which quickly became evident once he joined the team. Had Jordan been willing to nurture Brown he could have made something of his talent, but because Jordan broke down his teammates to prove that he was the alpha dog, Brown didn't know how to react, and once Jordan soured on Brown, it was all over.

It came to a quick head midway through the 2001-2002 season, where Jordan and Brown had some incidental contact during a drill. Jordan grabbed Brown and slammed him onto the court, and proceeded to unleash a torrent of profane insults on the rookie. Collins and a couple other veterans, I know Popeye Jones and Hubert Davis for sure, also joined in and dogcussed the rookie out of the gym. Instead of using the abuse as motivation, Brown sunk into a depression and his career really never recovered.

Even after turning more of the roster over and getting his guys in, like Jerry Stackhouse and close friend Charles Oakley, Jordan grew tired of the team and what he felt were overpayed, underperforming players who were profiting greatly off of the work that guys like he, Magic and Bird put in. He retired after two years, of which the only memorable public moments were Mariah Carey's dress at the All-Star Game and the Nike ad where he played himself (and there's a story about the shooting of that ad I need to tell at some point here).

True to their agreement, Jordan sat down with Pollin and wanted to buy back his share of the team for the same price as before. Pollin, now with leverage and with a franchise that was worth more thanks to the two years of home sellouts, changed the deal, saying Jordan's shares were going to cost more and that Jordan wasn't going to have personnel control over the team, seeing how bad a job he had done in that regard before. An incensed Jordan cursed out Pollin and said that once Pollin died, Jordan was going to piss on his grave, and left D.C. David Stern was brought in to mediate but neither side was interested in reconciliation, and Jordan stayed away from the league for several years. He came back in with the Bobcats as he bought a minority share and had personnel control, used his option of first refusal when Johnson wanted to sell, and is now the majority figurehead of the organization.

As for Pollin, he died in 2009, and there's a rumor that in his personal collection, Jordan has a photo of him pulling a Calvin on Pollin's grave. He'll never admit it unless you're in inner, inner circle, and no one would admit to taking the photo as long as Jordan still breathes.

Most of this stuff is on the record, unlike the roids. Stern knows where the bodies are buried.

E: Also I'm sad throwback dresses never became a thing

Declan MacManus fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 6, 2013

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
I did a full cycle with MJ and his son Deandre.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

thompson posted:

I did a full cycle with MJ and his son Deandre.

How's your hairline?

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???
Tales of Jordan being an overcompetitive rear end in a top hat never get old.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Diddie posted:

Tales of Jordan being an overcompetitive rear end in a top hat never get old.

quote:

Who was the better defender? Pippen was one of the best and most gifted defenders of all time. But MJ was the better defender. Michael could shut down anyone in the world for a 3 minute span. The best he’s ever seen. (I was pretty shocked by that, but man what does that tell you about MJ, unbelievable.) Jordan was the most ferocious competitor Bach has seen in all his years of basketball. Johnny said physically Jordan and Pippen were about the same as defenders. But when you add in MJ’s ruthlessness and trash talk, that put him ahead of Scottie.

When Johnny was coaching with the Hornets in 1995 they had a good team. Glen Rice, Mourning, Johnson. Series was tied at 2 and Hornets had a chance to win game 5 in Chicago. On the biggest possession of the game, Mugsy had the ball with the Hornets down 1. Jordan backed off of him and told him: “shoot it you loving midget.” Mugsy shot it, didn’t come close. A year later Mugsy actually told Johnny Bach that he believes that single play ruined his career. His shot never recovered."

quote:

The day before game 4 of the Bulls Suns finals with the Bulls leading the series 2-1. Michael and Charles Barkley went golfing. They played 48 holes of golf. And Michael bought Charles a $20,000 diamond earring. Johnny asked MJ, “what did you do all that for?” Michael responded, “he won’t get in my way the rest of the series, what’s $20,000 to me? Charles thinks we’re great friends. I hate that fat gently caress.” Jordan dropped 55 in game 4 and Barkley never touched him once.

Also 21 feet of poo poo, Will Vanderbilt, Stacey King's box, “He can’t do anything with the ball. Don’t give it to him.”, Charles Davis' tickets, Bill Cartwright's elbows

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
"Shoot it you loving midget" is the greatest thing I've ever read.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Criminal Minded posted:

Another example of Jordan's roid rage

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Criminal Minded posted:

I think Mourning's reaction to it elevates it to the top, but my favorite trash talk ever is Larry Bird's merry Christmas.

quote:

During one game on Christmas Day against the Indiana Pacers, before the game Bird told Chuck Person that he had a Christmas present waiting for him. During the game, when Person was on the bench, Bird shot a three-pointer on the baseline right in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry loving Christmas!", and then the shot went in.

H-Tail
Dec 18, 2005

"I'm not a crybaby"
Owners need to start getting tested. P sure Mark Cuban is also on the 'roids.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
Are there any sources for this stuff?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

James The 1st posted:

Sources? What is this a peer reviewed journal?

This is internet sports talk! Sources are for pussies and nerds.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

James The 1st posted:

That's where YOU, the important SAS researcher, come into play.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

James The 1st posted:

http://www. :yosbutt:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
how anyone can question the influence of Jordan's steroid use on his teammates and even opponents confuses me, Dennis Rodman was so hopped up on steroids he had to seek refuse in the only arena where his level of use was normal, professional wrestling. Karl Malone, frustrated with his own inadequacy, had to make the same move after his erratic behavior forced the two other mothers of his children to cut him out of their lives

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 7, 2013

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

James The 1st posted:

I think you'll see all the evidence you need in what we call the OP.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

James The 1st posted:

source my dick, nerd

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Finding a source for this stuff will be hard. It's all been pieced together by tribal stories, observations, and random quotes/stories from news papers back from before the Internet existed. By having this thread we are finally creating a digital record and collection of all these facts.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

WhyteRyce posted:

Finding a source for this stuff will be hard. It's all been pieced together by tribal stories, observations, and random quotes/stories from news papers back from before the Internet existed. By having this thread we are finally creating a digital record and collection of all these facts.

So what you are saying is that in a century (after the Great B-Ball Purge), historians will be examining and discussing this thread? Seems like we are doing them a favor.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

James The 1st posted:

Dickey Simpkins wrote a tell all book that detailed a lot of the information in this thread but there was a very limited amount made(only one printing of 2,000 or so books). A few months after the release the publisher was bought by a larger company that has disavowed any knowledge of the book ever existing. If you ever see a copy at a used book store or flea market buy it immediately but be careful who you show it to.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Source it, you loving midget.

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001

Oceanlife posted:

Contrasting to Michael's "Me first" style the Pistons played the game the right way.
This line is not getting nearly enough love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

deafmute posted:

Dickey Simpkins wrote a tell all book that detailed a lot of the information in this thread but there was a very limited amount made(only one printing of 2,000 or so books). A few months after the release the publisher was bought by a larger company that has disavowed any knowledge of the book ever existing. If you ever see a copy at a used book store or flea market buy it immediately but be careful who you show it to.

FYI Ben Affleck is playing Dicky Simpkins in the movie about this tell all book :ssh:

• Locked thread