Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Harriman Castle 3/5 FP
Stress: O-O-O

Squeezing free of the crowd, Harriman can see Levi in hot pursuit of the Preacher; they're both out of the square, and while Harriman can keep up, that's about the best he can do in his old age. He runs after them anyway, trying to stay within sight and shouting distance. His mind races for a way to assist, when he comes across an elegant solution.

While he runs along, he dials up the local police and spins a story about how he was jostled by an old man in the square, and then found his wallet was missing! "Please hurry! Another young man is helping me chase him, but he might get away!" When he's done with the call, he radios to the group. "Be aware, the police may be coming to intervene."

Rolling Clever to try to bring the police in to delay the preacher.
[20:19] <GreenIntern> !r fudge+3
[20:19] <Krysmbot> GreenIntern, +/+-+3 = 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Levi Atkinson - FP: 2

More of the street crowd try to block his path, either by accident or by "accident". Levi moves like a wild coyote leading the hunt, dashing madly and jumping the heck out through everyone. The preacher heads toward a crowded intersection with cars on every angle. When the green pedestrian lights goes on, a rush of people walk across the streets and nearly cover his escape.

With a great huff, Levi bounds up the back of one of a rental car in front of pedestrian lane. An angry driver shouts underneath his feet, he doesn't notice. He runs up the roof, over the hood and jumps over the rush of people.

Not a really perfect jump, he still hits a man on the way down. Levi rolls around and stands up in a hurry. "Sorry, pardner!" He apologizes, picking up his pace again and closing the distance on the preacher.

Quickly Overcoming to chase this dude: ++/+ +1 = 4 Haha, drat.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Teresa FP OOOXX Stress OOO (-2/-4/-6)

"As if you'd know where to run in the first place without me! And as if these are that cheap!" Teresa is quick witted, not quick footed, and Cecil pulls away easily at first. She grits her teeth and pushes, determined not to be outdone, though, and manages to more or less keep up.

[20:44] <Gorbash> !r fudge+0
[20:44] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, /+-++0 = 1
Invoking Get It By Your Hands to make that a 3.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Tsugumi - FP: 6

Tsugumi looks ahead.

"Try to keep him going straight forwards."

She then prepares a trap to slow him down; fairly simply, a small blockade, cleverly put together.

CLEVERLY MAKE A TRAP MODE GO!

<Supremezero> !r fudge + 3
<Krysmbot> Supremezero, -/// + 3 = 2

She also checks her phone to see if there are any alternate route he can take that are near her.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Lenore Santiago, FP 3

The verse didn't seem to be germane to her situation, but it helped her decide. "I need to help my friends, somehow." she murmured to herself. "I can't just say I knew they were in trouble and did nothing."

With that, she stood up, and went to the front desk to check out. "An emergency came up, I'm afraid. I'm hoping to be back later, though." she tells the clerk. Assuming she has no objections, Lenore heads out.

As she strides into the crowd, she looks up at her invisible angelic companion and asks, "Seruel, I know you aren't as strong outside the mecha, but is there anything you can do to get us there faster?"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Alexander

"My son, while I am glad that you are no longer in the dark..." Van Volkenburg pauses, considers his words, seeing the indecision lurking in Alexander's gut. "Quit fretting about that side of things." The old man stands up. "That is what old men like me and mine are here to worry about. Politics, backstabbing, subversion; those are not your nature. You are a warrior, young man." He stands and offers Alexander a hand. "Now go out there and defend these people. I know you can."

Everyone else

The drawstrings begin to close on the fleeing preacher, Seruel "arranging" things so that Lenore arrives in time. And then, as these things do, much happens at once...

Everyone roll an approach for your final action as the multiple lines of pursuit collide. The height of your success will determine whose actions go off first, and to what success.

Things are about to get
slapstick.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

<Supremezero> !r fudge + 3
<Krysmbot> Supremezero, +/// + 3 = 4
<Supremezero> Whee.

Tsugumi successfully makes an AMAZING trap, and prepares to catch the target!

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

With that obstacle out of the way, Levi closes in on the dastardly preacher. Looks like the aliens didn't count on this guy tiring out eventually. The old cowboy can run real fast if he wants to. He can take this guy. All he needs to do is...

"Hold on there, ya varmint!" He shouts again, tackling the man!

Forceful tackle the dude: +/-+ +1 = 2

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Cecil Skye FP 6/5

"This is Valkyrie, we're closing up from the flank, make sure all exits are covered! Don't let this guy get away!"

[09:40:16] <Davin_Valkri> I'm rolling Clever
[09:40:22] <Davin_Valkri> !r fudge+3
[09:40:23] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, -+/++3 = 4

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Teresa FP OOOXX Stress OOO (-2/-4/-6)

Teresa breaks off from Cecil, angling down a side street and cutting through a shop as a shortcut to close off every avenue of escape.

Clever approach
Krysmbot: Gorby|Phone, +-//+3 = 3

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Alexander - FP: 5

Though he still felt uneasy and worried, Alexander's spirit lifted a little at Master Volkenburg's words. "You're right, Master. A man should never let his doubts affect his duties to his people. I should go now. My comrades have need of me."

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore Santiago, FP 3

Lenore felt the streets blur past as she ran hell-bent for leather to where the rest of her group was. During this mad dash, she was only able to get out a gasped, "I'm on my way!" through the earpiece to let her team know she was coming.

<Zemyla> !r 4df +3
<foxxbot> Zemyla, /+/+ +3 = 5
<Zemyla> Quick approach.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Harriman Castle 3/5 FP

Harriman's chest pounds as he pushes himself forward. He takes heart when he hears Cecil and the others over his earpiece. Maybe they wouldn't need the police to ring the preacher in! Or the police would get to him first, and then they'd have to figure out how to get the man released before anything happened to him.

He starts formulating their extraction. It wouldn't do to kidnap a man in broad daylight, and they'd need a way to move quickly. A cab? It could work, if they could get the man quiet. No way to find out until they caught him, though.

He shakes the thoughts from his mind, and focuses on speeding up his pace. Small crowds are gathering as Levi chases the man, and Harriman's shouting earlier didn't help matters either. There's no time to stop, he needs to crash through or lose the chase.

"Sorry! Get out of the way! Move, Damnit!"

Rolling Forceful to crash through all obstacles.
[14:13] <GreenIntern|Nap> !r fudge+2
[14:13] <Krysmbot> GreenIntern|Nap, ++/-+2 = 3

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Alexander

"Then go, boy. Leave the worrying to us old groundpounders, and take flight."

Everyone else

A lot of things happen at once.

The preacher careens straight toward Tsugumi's makeshift trap, a contraption of ropes designed to snare him long enough for the others to grab him- unfortunately, at exactly that moment Lenore comes speeding out of a convenient alleyway toward the fleeing man. Seeing her coming, he twists right, catches the edge of the twanging rope, and slams into a fruit cart (which you'd SWEAR wasn't there a moment before.) Still gamely struggling, he redirects toward another alley, only to see Teresa moving (it's hard to call her speed running at this point) toward him. He turns to see Levi and Harriman closing fast, the older man still outrunning his younger counterpart, so he clambers over the fruit cart- only to run directly into Cecil, who tackles him backwards just as the others all catch up.

There is an unholy squishing noise as the entire struggling group collapses back into a pile of spilled fruit, leaving Teresa and Tsugumi sprayed with rogue juice and pulp and everyone else in a rather dazed pile on the ground.

The crowd begins to applaud, mistaking it for some sort of street theater, except for one very irritated fruit merchant, who appears to be screaming about his dates.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Bronco pileup!"

Levi doesn't get to say much after that, since the others pile on over him in a clearly coordinated IG effort to catch the preacher. It worked. Also, he gets some applause.

"Thanks!" He shouts, wriggling his arm away from Cecil and waving it at the crowd.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Harriman Castle 3/5 FP

"Agh...I'll be feeling this in the morning." Harriman eases his way up from the ground. The clapping crowd was a relief; at least nobody was crying out about their kidnapping this man. Yet. He turns to the fruit merchant, and produces a wad of cash. The quickest way to get him to be quiet and leave them alone would be to just pay him as discreetly as possible.

"Sir, we're terribly sorry. We had this production get a little out of hand. You understand how the performers can get. Let me make this good, and we can just move along." He surreptitiously offers the cash.

Carefully trying to defuse the situation with the merchant.
[14:08] <GreenIntern> !r fudge+2
[14:08] <Krysmbot> GreenIntern, +/--+2 = 1
Invoking "A Place for Everything, and Everything in its Place" for +2. Total of 3.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Cecil Skye FP 6/5

"Gotch--AGH!" Cecil gets hands on the preacher before suddenly going under the weight of 5 other people. "Mph...mphfmph...get off!" He squirms and manages to pull himself out of the pile, somehow managing to keep one hand on their target. "Yes, thank you thank you..." His voice drops to a whisper. "Alright, buddy, you're coming with us."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Teresa FP OOXXX Stress OOO (-2/-4/-6)

Teresa holds her arms out, clearly not pleased about getting covered in juice and pulp. She wipes some of it off her glasses, making a face. "Wonderful." She looks at the gunk on her hand, looks around, sighs in irritation, and wipes it off on her already ruined top. "I'll get us a ride." Teresa steps away and places a call for one of the cars to come and meet them, plotting out a route to minimize their time in the open, including the group traveling on foot to a better pickup point if that leads to the fastest extraction.

[19:44] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, ---/+1 = -2 = 0, for Clever because I can't type.
Invoking Stylish Strategist for a reroll.
[19:44] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, --/++1 = 0 = 3 for clever, because I can't type.
3 total.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Tsugumi looks down at her clothing. Where did all the juice come from? Did dates contain that much juice. Ugh. Forget it. This is what the hot spring was installed for. Deal with it later.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore Santiago, FP 3

Lenore had the bad luck to be at the very bottom of the pile, below even the preacher. Therefore, when she finally got up, she was out of breath from booth running at speeds beyond human possibility and being knocked down. However, she finally managed to get up. As she did, the juice and fruit parts beaded off of her fancy silk robe and rolled away, leaving her unstained.

Still panting and out of breath, she managed to gasp out, "I got here as fast as I could."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

The preacher's head lolls- the collision has knocked him out for the count. The crowd, after tossing some coins and a smattering of business cards, disperses- So when Alexander catches up a few minutes later he sees only a bunch of fruit stained and bruised team members who have clearly been waiting for him for a while...

And one, still fuming fruit merchant, who has accepted the money with bad grace.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Levi helps Cecil help up the downed preacher. He also finds a way to tie the man's wrists together. Just in case he wakes up.

"So, that's that. We definitely know they're tryin' to mess with the city from the inside too." He says. "What now?"

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

Arriving at the scene, Alexander took one look and then, with absolute seriousness, spoke. "It appears I missed the fruit snack. They must have been very tasty, for all of you to forget your manners while eating them."

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

"We take him with us and go back. Simple. Not much we can do with him here."

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Harriman Castle 3/5 FP

Harriman returns from the fruit merchant, the man still grumbling, although mollified more-or-less. "We need to leave the area, if not the whole city. I'm afraid in my haste I notified the local police of a robbery."

He coughs sheepishly.

"I fear I was a bit worried we wouldn't catch up."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Cecil Skye FP 6/5

"Thanks Levi," Cecil mutters as the group dusts themselves off. It takes an awful lot of self control not to stick his tongue out at Alexander.

"Aw, you should've had some, Alex", he snarks. "Maybe we wouldn't have missed ya."

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

If Alexander was fazed by Harriman's news, he didn't let it show. "Then we should move quickly. The sooner we make our way home, the better."

"But before we leave...excuse me, sir, what rate is the fruit going at?"

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Tsugumi takes a fallen date... AND EATS IT

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Teresa joins the group again, still trying to wipe date juice off. She gets another glop of it off her glasses and wipes it on Lenore's robe. "You called the police? What possessed you to do that?" She shakes her head in exasperation. "And why are you all still standing here if he did? I've called for a car to meet us. We need to get moving. I suggest we split up again as soon as possible, to avoid drawing any more attention, and make our way back to the base. I one for one could use a nice hot bath." Teresa turns on her heel and starts walking away, calling the cars to adjust the meeting point to avoid entanglements with the police. She looks over her shoulder after a moment. "Are you coming or what?"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Teresa's plan works, and all of you manage to haul your prize into a nondescript car and be gone before the police finish taking the statement of the still fuming fruit merchant. It may be a good idea to lay low for a while, but a least you accomplished your objective...

The preacher remains a mystery to the medical staff, who profess there is no reason for him to still be unconscious. A few days pass. Commander Ska moves on. Swords are finished. Repairs are made. The HJS "prisoner" is revealed to be one Captain Monet (no relation) and, after a full psych eval, is given the run of the nonsecure base sections. He finds being able to move under his own power somewhat soothing.

Everyone remains just the littlest bit tense, though.. when will the next shoe drop?

Available for your upgrade use: +1 to each approach, and one new stunt. You may only have one, and once taken, that upgrade is no longer available to the others. Choose wisely.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Tsugumi returns to base... and immediately goes to the hot springs. Cursed dates. While in the bath, she activates her (Waterproofed!) remote access to the Type-108R's computer system, and collects data on "Captain Monet", and information about religions in Jerusalem, especially those talking about future ends of the world. Which, being religion, is probably most of them.

... she also stops to find out where to get more dates. That tasted nice.

When done there, she looks for information on "How to manage crazy batshit people". Maybe information about dog obedience schooling would help... should she get a newspaper?

Clever +1 GET!

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore Santiago

Seruel found himself surprisingly in demand over the next couple days, as the Channeler was "repaired" with the scrap mecha parts that Teresa had had delivered. However, that was only after the first day, when the mecha was repaired completely and Seruel found he could no longer possess it. So there was an arduous process of taking parts out, putting parts in, and asking "Can you fit in now?"

While this was highly illuminating for both the techs and Seruel, it left Lenore at kind of loose ends.

Since no one else has Quick as their highest stat, I'll take the +1 Quick. Also, working on an encounter between Lenore and Alexander.

Zemyla fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 21, 2013

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Harriman Castle 3/5 FP

It's just a few hours after the mission in Jerusalem. Harriman lies in his bed, feeling the aches of the day fall through him. Even though he expects to eventually get a reprimand for the scene he precipitated, it feels good to continue the string of successes that had started with their first battle. He sits up and stretches.

Everyone had split off pretty rapidly after the mission to decompress, but the notion strikes Harriman that he should probably have a chat with Levi. The younger man had comported himself well in the frantic moments of the chase, and he deserved some kind of thanks.

Harriman checks the time, and then sends a short message to Levi. "Hello, Levi. Care to meet me on the command deck? It's about sunset, and I thought it'd be nice to relax and have a chat."

With that done, Harriman grabs a flask of bourbon from his drawers, and heads to the elevator.

Working on an encounter for Harriman/Levi. Not sure what upgrade to take between Sneaky or the Stunt; waiting to see if Davin had claimed one.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

After changing out of her juice covered clothes, Teresa goes to find Lenore and Alexander for a word, then heads down for a long, leisurely soak in the hot spring. She ends up at the bar, in comfortable clothes, sitting in a plush chair and enjoying a brandy while she goes over what they saw in the city for any more clues.

Going to grab Flashy +1.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Cecil Skye FP 6/5

Having chucked his jacket into the laundry and taken a quick shower, Cecil is now back in his uniform, and preparing a drink at the bar. He sees Teresa come in and grimaces. "Oh grand. Of all the bars in this place, you had to come into...okay, I guess there's only one bar in this place, but still." He shakes the drink just a little bit harder.

"Hey, we should invite the prisoner we picked up at that battle over for drinks. In vino veritas, and all that, and I'm sure I'm horribly mispronouncing it."

Green Intern, you can pick whatever. I'm fine with choosing last.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore, Alexander, and Teresa

Alexander felt tired. The trip back from the Holy City had seemed much longer than the journey to it, and debriefing with Commander Ska after the preacher had been taken care of had taken another hour. He could feel his lack of sleep start to catch up to him, but that was no excuse to skip on his daily training routine. He could rest later.

Lenore wandered in, holding a strange long box, and watched Alexander spar against imaginary enemies for a little while before he noticed her.

"Ah, Le- Private Santiago." Alexander said, stopping mid-swing and saluting. "Come to prepare yourself for future missions, I take?"

"Well, yes. I had a feeling I might find you here. Ever the consummate soldier." She opened the package, revealing a smaller, thinner sword, more like a gladius, than what Alex prefers. "I need to keep up with all the weapons I might use, not just the easiest ones."

"And there is no better way to retain one's edge than combat, even if it's a practice match." Taking a step back, Alexander raised his blade to a ready stance. "I fear I may not provide the best practice, at the moment, but I will give it my utmost if you are willing."

"That's all I ask." She unrolls a small shield from the package as well, waits a bit for it to harden to the proper toughness, and stands ready in front of him.

Alexander's first few strikes were tentative, meant to probe Lenore's defenses and take advantage of his longer reach, and to allow his mind to wander for a few moments. Then, once he had decided on a course of action, he spoke. "We still have much to discuss from our last conversation."

She turns some of the probing strikes away with her blade, while catching others on the advanced plastic of the shield, while counterattacking when she can. "Indeed, that's part of the reason I came here."

Pushed backwards, Alexander didn't speak. Instead, he struck out with a sideways slash, repositioned himself, and nodded, telling her to go on.

She interposed the flat of her blade with a ringing clang, pushed Alex's blade up and over her, and took the opportunity to dart inside his reach. "Know this, Alexander: Millame loved you, loves you still."

Dropping his blade, Alexander raised a free hand, clenched to a fist, but stopped mid-motion, hand open. "That is a cold comfort, when I know she is...gone." The last word was spat out suddenly, as though it had been unwilling to leave his mouth.

Lenore drops her blade to point to the floor as well. This was not quite what she had expected Alexander to say, but in retrospect, it had been almost 20 years, so it was understandable. She marshaled her thoughts and went on, "Yes, and I'm not saying I can be her, or replace her. But the Blessed Warriors do not go as far in death. And here, where the veil of death itself was repeatedly breached... I feel her regard for you, as she stands over my shoulder, the closest of my predecessors. I will... will try to see if I can make a miracle of some kind happen." Her face became a darkly humorous smile as she added, "On top of the other one of defeating the alien invaders."

Alexander started to smile, but his expression froze as it was replaced by a sudden thought. After a moment, he averted his eyes and sighed. "I am such a fool...I cannot help but see her at times like this. I wish I could forget her face, instead of feeling like a man trying to grasp a star. So close, and yet so far..." He shook his head, and a smile returned to his face, but now sardonic. "And I cannot imagine how dreadful this must be for you. Watching me wallow in my self-pity like this must be unbearable."

Slow clapping started from near the door. "Impressive stuff." Teresa steps into the room, hands raised from applauding. She's clearly taken the time to clean off and change since coming back, turned out immaculately again. "A bit of sport, a little melodrama. You two really make a cute couple."

"It is considered impolite to eavesdrop on private conversations." Alexander remarked, sheathing his weapon. His voice was now carefully guarded, but his eyes were sparking with irritation.

"Hence announcing my presence." Teresa replied. "And you could have locked the door if you were planning to have a heart to heart. Or put a," she looked at the two of them holding blades, "a scabbard on the doorknob."

Lenore grinned crookedly and replied, "Well, I believe I have a third sword in the box there, if you'd like to join in."

"Take on two at once? You're more daring than I suspected."

"Alliances come and go, and after all, all's fair in love and war."

"Hm. Thank you, but no. I came down to let Sir Lancelot know his new blade is prepared. And you have a care package as well."

"Oh? Why, thank you." Lenore said. "Does it have alcohol in it?"

"No, we have plenty of that up in the bar. It's more work oriented. And fills up a good part of the hangar. I think our mechanic is a bit upset. I had them ship in all of the IG Projects mothballed mecha in the area. You can your pick of the lot for your... companion."

Lenore's grin became rueful as she replied, "Well, he's already upset by having to break the mecha he carefully repaired, just so Seruel can fit in it. Half of me wants to see this, while the other half knows to stay as far away from angry mechanics as possible."

While Teresa and Lenore talked, Alexander blanched. This was a conversation he had no place in. Thankfully the conversation had quickly changed tack to something he could talk about. "And you, Ms. Kurita-Steiner? Surely you are not planning on taking our spots here...is there something I can do for you, perhaps? I have not adequately thanked you for overseeing the construction of the Durandal." He added, after a moment.

"Perhaps there is something you can do for me," Teresa practically purred, knowing it will make Alexander uncomfortable. "And no need to thank me. I enjoy a challenge."

She continued more soberly, "Cecil and I found evidence of something troubling in the administration of the city. Essentially the entire MHC administrative staff has been missing for several days, and their compound is crawling with guards. I think we need to investigate further. I would appreciate your support in putting together a plan to follow that up."

"With mecha or on foot?" Lenore asked.

"Personally I suspect we'll need to take both approaches." Teresa said. "A team on the ground to get a closer look, but I have a feeling we'll want heavier support on hand. I don't think we'll like what we find."

"That will not be a simple matter." Alexander put in. "There is much potential for this plan to backfire on us, considering at least two of us are marked men who will be shot on sight by the MHC military."

"Yes... our good doctor as well." Teresa mused. "It's a risk I think we need to take."

"Then we must make preparations. At risk of sounding old-fashioned, we should act like knights and paint our armors black."

Lenore looked somewhat into the distance. "I'm kind of thinking. On one hand, we would need to run this by Commander Ska. However... with preparation and extra power, I believe Seruel might be able to instantly teleport all six of your battlesuits with him, in case we need mechanized support."

"Teleport? Hm." Teresa considered. "That presents... interesting tactical options." She smiles - it's not a nice smile. Feral, almost. "I have to keep that in mind. And don't worry, Alexander, you aren't at risk of sounding old fashioned."

Lenore stretched. "Anyways, I hear the base has a hot spring. I think I'll soak in that and hit the sack."

"My intentions exactly." Teresa concurred. "A few hours soaking in hot water, out of these clothes, and a good nights sleep."

Lenore folded up her shield and puts it and her sword away in the box. "We'll have to spar more later, Alex."

She started out the door, then paused."Oh, and Teresa."

"Mm?"

She pulled a nice cloth handkerchief out of a pocket and hands it to her. It had TKS embroidered in one of the corners. "For next time you have to get your hands dirty." With that done, she called out, "Anyways, good night! See you tomorrow!" She then walked out.

"Thank you." Teresa studied the handkerchief a moment, a bit confused, then followed Lenore out. "Good night, Sir Lancelot. I suppose you won't be joining us in the hot spring. Enjoy your prayers."

Now alone in the empty hangar, Alexander let out a most undignified snort. "Praying with my mind in such disarray? As if." Shaking his head, he made his way to the bar. He needed something to dull his wayward mind, before sleep forced him to face what it was now hiding.

Thanks to TransientPeople and Gorbash for being such good sports.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Levi takes a hot shower as soon as he gets back to base and puts on some more comfortable clothes. A shame that the preacher doesn't reveal much of anything after they get him. Still, they got an inkling on what the aliens were up to in the Holy City. And the stopped it. Well, Doc Castle did mostly. What would have happened if he had listened to Levi and gave the preacher enough opportunity to get away?

He mulls on that thought, even while he sits in the briefing room to watch some satellite TV. An old western plays on the biggest screen, a gloriously remastered tale of a hero chasing a gang of bandits for the sake of revenge. Commander Ska comes in at some point to disapprove the use of briefing room equipment. It isn't like no one else is using it right now, though...

Just as the film hits the epic climax, Levi gets a message from Doc Castle. Command deck, huh? He flips off the screen, texts back a "Yeah, sure thing." and leaves the room. Good thing he saw this one already.

Levi will take +1 Careful to be the carefulest.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Levi and Harriman

Harriman sits by the window on the command deck. There’s not many crew members there at the moment, aside from the minimum to monitor radar and communications feeds. The sun is just beginning to set in the distance, glinting majestically against the waves. He turns as Levi walks in.

“Ah, glad you could make it.”

"Not like I got much to do, Doc." Levi grins, putting away his hat. "Them robots keep doin’ all the work with our own robots. I just watch them work when I’m bored, but sometimes I’m just watching old movies. What’s up?”

The older man makes an expansive gesture with his hands. “Levi, I just wanted to thank you for today. For making sure we didn’t lose the preacher. I know, I know, everyone helped. But the fact of the matter is, you jumped in at the start, even when you knew it was a risky proposition.”

"Well, if it were up to me, I would just backed off and waited for the others. Who knows what woulda happened if we gave him a chance to keep workin’ the crowd. You went in and got up on his face. I just jumped in when he started to get away." Saying all that, Levi feels even more awkward about his role in that slapstick chase.

“Well thank you for saying so, but I can’t help but wonder if I caused more harm than good today. Think about it this way: how many other infiltrators were in the city today? Did any of them see us? Do they know who we are now? Could we have seen more of them if I’d been more subtle?” Harriman draws a small flask from his pocket and takes a slug, then offers it to Levi. “I just can’t stop thinking about it, even if we can chalk this up as a success.”

Levi takes a long pull from the flask. "Maybe. But ain’t worth worrying about it now. We got them and them aliens knows that we’re out for them. I think that’s worth something. Maybe they still got more hiding in Jerusalem, but if they’re gonna be more careful from now on, that just might be enough to slow them down a tad. And we need time."

“True enough....true enough.” Harriman turns to the window, and watches the sun slowly sink beneath the waves. “We’ve got a hard road ahead of us, Levi. Nobody knows the danger that’s waiting out there, and nobody’s going to appreciate what we’ve done when we win. Sort of like working back in a lab, come to think of it.” A small smile creeps across his face. “All the knowledge in the world, but you can’t share it with everybody because of politics.”

"I suppose." Levi scratches his head. "When Doc Friedman got me into Texas Tech, I thought I’d be doing some cutting edge stuff. Some stuff you don’t see everyday, but once it’s done, it’s gonna change the world. And I guess I’m still doin’ that. But I’m also part of IG, too. So our pride and joy down at the hangar, Gunslinger? That ol’ bronco’s classified. No one know he exists. Kinda lame when you think about it."

“The Asto Vidatu was much the same, I’m afraid. A weapon of war. But I didn’t care much how it was going to be used...” Harriman blanches. “I mean to say, my opinions have changed. I wasn’t quite as conscientious when I was younger. I didn’t exactly look at the bigger picture. You all already know about how I came to be with the IG. I’ve never regretted stealing away that suit once.”

Harriman coughs. “Please stop me if I’m rambling. I’m finding myself reminiscing more and more these days.”

"Eh, Doc Friedman’s like that too." Levi grins. "Don’t worry, it ain’t rambling if it’s interesting." He takes another pull from the flask. "I just can’t wait to hear that preacher's story, though. It’ll make everything today worth it."

Harriman smiles. “Yes, I’m interested in hearing what our little bird has to sing about. If we’re lucky, he’ll come around like Captain Monet.”

"An’ just think about it." Levy says. "Outta everyone in the group, it’s us science guys who found him first."

“Let’s try not to lord it over the others too much. I don’t think Commander Ska would approve.” Harriman can’t help but chuckle. “Although I’ve yet to get a reprimand for going off after the preacher like that....”

The sun sets as the two men finish off the flask, talking animatedly about the days to come.

I'm also going to take the stunt for Harriman.
A Time for Subtlety: Whenever you fail with a Clever approach, you can use Forceful at +2 next round.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Episode 2: The Compound of Doom! The Squad Drowns In Sorrow!

Everyone is dreaming. It's a strange dream, full of vague images and terrible, screeching noise, but somehow everyone can feel the menace behind it. It means nothing, but creates fear nonetheless...

failure
plan has
mistake to trust
cut off
never to sing
never again

It's 4am when the preacher awakes again, a full week after the collision. Everyone is immediately alerted, however, by the keening scream that echoes through the halls. The scream is rapidly cut off and replaced with a muffled moaning.

You've just been awakened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"What in tarnation!?"

Levi can barely hear himself exclaim, what with the blasted racket ringing outside. When the sounds muffles down to a groan, he decides in his sleepy haze that this is it. This is how the aliens plan to destroy them once and for all: rob them of sleep.

He rouses himself awake and checks for messages in his phone. "Fellas, meet up in the hallway, now." After he sends his message, Levi runs up to the cabinet and pulls out his dad's old Springfield rifle. No idea what the heck is out there, might even be just the Empress stubbing her toe. But better safe than sorry.

• Locked thread