Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Hidden Base Near Neo Jerusalem, MHC
Remember to click post titles for theme music!

It’s been 6 hours since the last of you arrived and unpacked. The only thing you’ve found common ground on since then is that none of you want to be here, but all of you are here nonetheless. It’s an awkward group that assembles for dinner and a movie, of sorts; your official briefing arrived on the server and was forwarded to the main screen in the operations room five minutes ago, interrupting your separate and varied attempts at obtaining or making something to eat.

The screen flickers and the briefing begins.

A voice speaks. It’s not one that any of you recognize, but it speaks with the gravity of someone who has seen much and fears what he sees.

“Pilots, I’m not going to pull my punches. You’ve been given a rough job, and not the one many of you would have wanted, but one that has to be done."

The silhouette on screen gestures, and the screen changes to a picture of gibberish letters, which resolve into a series of translations for all present.

“The enemy has stated their intent for our surrender. What we have translated since then points to a systemic campaign of demoralization and destruction if we refuse- and refuse we will, make no mistake. Their first target-“

Another picture shift.

“Neo Jerusalem. Home of not one but 3 world religions. Can you imagine the chaos that will spread if it is destroyed, or even damaged? People will start to believe it actually is the apocalypse.”
The man’s silhouette returns. It gestures, expansively.
“We are in the business of preventing the apocalypse, ladies and gentlemen. Your task is to make sure the enemy never enters Neo Jerusalem, never as much sees the city on their horizon. Destroy them, pilots. Demonstrate why they should have never have come to Earth.”

The briefing switches off. You look at each other. Maybe it’s time to make proper introductions now.

Introduce yourselves to each other! Put your sheets in your first posts, and also name ONE COOL THING ABOUT THE BASE each. These can be anything from slick tech to help in battle to a nice, relaxing hot tub.

K Prime fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Sibaal Quraishi
"Ladies and gentlemen, we have a problem." A voice rings out over the intercom- None of you recognize it. "This is Lt. Quraishi, your signals intelligence chief. I'm picking up something anomalous on radar- bringing it up on scope..."

The screen in the main room flashes back on, showing a schematic of a familiar robot, to some of you.

"Based on readings it's a full squad of standard HJS grunts heading this way in an attack formation. Which is weird- they're a little busy to be sending anyone to attack Neo Jerusalem, but they look like they're prepared to engage the MHC garrison. Something's not right."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Sibaal Quraishi

"I don't see why you'd want to, but you could be there in 15 minutes. The HJS flight is still at least 2 hours out, and still outside MHC sensor range."

There's a brief pause. "Ours are special."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Sibaal Quraishi

Quraishi continues in a voice that leaks exasperation.
"I meant in the sense that if you inform the MHC that there's a HJS attack coming, not only is that potential cause of a declaration of war, but also exposes our presence in the region. The MHC isn't stupid- they'll start asking questions if we intercept over the garrison. Alternatively..."

A map pops up, showing a series of arrows. "If we launch in the next 15 minutes we can intercept them over the ocean. Nobody will ever know. Or find the bodies."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Amaka Kwembe, Maintenance Chief

A cheery voice calls out to you as you enter the hangar. "Yo! I heard the news- all of your machines are prepped and ready to go! Though I can't guarantee Mr. Abidam's is feeling cooperative this afternoon."

Mst. Sgt. Akama Kwembe is your maintenance chief, in charge of running a small herd of faceless technicians and a larger herd of robots to keep your machines in tip-top shape.

"But overall, everything should be running like a dream- and I cleaned the intake valves on your plane, Mr. Skye. I keep telling you to do that when you land!"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Amaka Kwembe, Maintenance Chief

You hear Amaka backchatting with the launch tower as each of you are transferred to the launch catapult, which slowly angles upward until it breaches the surface of the ocean that covers most of your cliff-side base. The launch doors open. All is prepared.

"Seriously what the hell is Santiago ridin- what? ... Fine. Not my problem! It's showing up green on the screen!"

A light comes on above each of you. "All prepped for launch. Launching order... set. Computer guidance on. We clear, tower?"

An unintelligible voice responds. "All systems go. Good luck, pilots!"

You can see her raise her fist to an unnecessary height to hit the button. Dramatically.

"SAFETY DEVICES- RELEASE. PROTOCOL 510 IN PLACE! READY-LAUNCH!"

Her fist slams into the button, and with a monstrous crackle of electricity and speed you're in the air.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Enemy Flight, Over the Mediterranean

Lenore's scan quickly reveals the situation.

Unfortunately, her destiny sense also reveals something else: Somehow, they've spotted Cecil.

She has just enough time to bark a warning before a series of shots, aimed hard up, fire at the unfortunate pilot. Luckily he's high enough up compared to the enemy that they go wide, but it is now clear that these people are not interested in talking this out.

Lenore also gets a scan of their leader.

It looks vaguely like an HJS suit, but not one anyone has ever seen before, and something about it is... off.

Either way, the battle is joined.

COMBAAAAT! Roll your Quick approach for initiative, please. Water zones have aspect: "B Rank" which makes everyone in them suck (-2 on all rolls)

K Prime fucked around with this message at 13:08 on May 7, 2013

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Enemy Flight, over the Mediterranean

The enemy scrambles to react when they realize Cecil is not alone- unfortunately, their scrambling is poor, almost as if they are unfamiliar with their machines. Only the leader reacts with any sort of aplomb, raising its shield and knuckling down. No response comes over the radio, only readied weapons and savage hearts.

Lenore 4
Alexander 3

Cecil 2
Harriman 2

Leader 1
Teresa 0
Levi 0
Tsugumi 0
Mooks -3

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

As the mooks recover their formations, the leader engages with Alexander with a mechanical roar. Raising its empty hand, it forms a ball of glowing energy in its outstretched palm and lets loose against the speeding swordsman!

Krysmbot K`, ++-/ +3 = 4

Lenore 4
Alexander 3 DEFENSE ROLL
Cecil 2
Harriman 2
Leader 1
Teresa 0
Levi 0
Tsugumi 0

Mooks -3

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

The Leader raises its enormous shield and absorbs the brunt of Tsugumi's fire, but the phantasmagoria of flower views prevent it from completely blocking itself, and something sparks and fries in its systems!
Moderate consequence: Flower Power'd inflicted, despite tagging "gently caress Me That's a Shield"

The mooks all try to split off and get clear of the worst of the fighting, but the Border of Life holds most of them fast. Only two groups escape- one gunning for Tsugumi, and one that attempts to pin down Alexander before diving for their lives.

2 groups tag "Oh God Run Away" to get clear of the border.

The remainder of the group opens fire on Alexander, trying to pin him so their leader can go for the kill.

Maneuver Pinned Down is placed on Alexander. Tsugumi defends against +5, Alexander defends against 4,3, -1 (lol).

Lenore 4
Alexander 3 DEFENSE ROLLS
Cecil 2

Harriman 2
Leader 1
Teresa 0
Levi 0
Tsugumi 0 DEFENSE ROLL
Mooks -3

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Uh Oh

As another two squads go down under heavy fire, and a third loses two of its number, it's looking like the IG has this battle in the bag. The remaining foes, other than one group that is unable to break the Border of Life, dive into the water, feeling engaging against Alexander outside either of their elements is better than certain death in the air.

Over the comms, you hear the first thing any of the enemy has said all battle- "FOR THE HERALDS!"

Things are looking up.

Then the singing starts.

Over all of your comms comes a terrible noise- mingled cries of pure pain and despair, in a language you do not know but somehow understand. The smoke clears around the destroyed enemy leader... leaving only the strange ball at its center in place. The singing reaches a crescendo. The ball blooms.

And something steps through.

"Surrender. Die."

You can't tell if it's giving you a choice or making a statement.

Then it lifts its wicked blade and slashes at Teresa, and the shock from the attack slams through the air to hit Lenore.

Mooks place Zone Aspects Song of Pain and Song of Despair. The... thing attacks at 3 against Teresa and 4 against Lenore.

K Prime fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 10, 2013

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Uh Oh 2: Electric OhFuckALoo

The monster stoically absorbs the Manticore's vicious bite. Then, strange fluids spurting from its neck, it reaches over and begins to crush the Manticore's head in one hand.

"Give. In. Is better."

Teresa feels the armor on the Manticore start to crack. Impossible! That armor is designed to withstand the madness of the beast within!

Teresa defends against +11. Power revealed: Rage of the First: This mecha automatically counterattacks anyone who inflicts a consequence in melee with a bonus equal to that consequence's bonus. Consequence inflicted: Black Liquid Spew (Moderate)

Some of you go before Teresa: You may want to consider helping to save her.

K Prime fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 11, 2013

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Revelation

The thing absorbs the series of blows stoically before catching Alexander's blade in one enormous hand. "Amusing. Struggle. Allow. Speak."

Its mouth opens, and a string of words pour out, leaving everyone involved screaming for silence. The words shatter both body and mind. Pieces of armor fall into the sea.

"We come to end the reign of man we come to return the true powers to the height we have come to destroy false idols we have come to shatter the illusion we have come to bring the end-"

The mouth closes. Everyone has just enough time to relax before it opens again. But this time, something understandable comes forth.

"It seems you resist. Expected. But the fierceness of your struggle. Unexpected. I salute your conviction. Gratitude. Let us see how it breaks."

It rips Alexander's sword from his hand. "This is mine now. Trophy. More will come. Legion. How long will you last? I observe. I judge. Survive." It gestures with the sword at Alexander. "Reclaim."

It steps backwards, and the ball blooms once more. A portal to another, hostile world. "Eyesword," it says, and begins to vanish into the abyss. Around you, the remains of the other robots and the ones still functional are pulled with it... except for one, which seems to be struggling. "No! Don't let them take me! Help! Please!"

Everyone defends against one final attack: The Voice of Pain- everyone in the immediate zone at 9, and everyone else at 7. Then combat ends.

K Prime fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 11, 2013

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

ORDER Base

It is a somber and grouchy team that returns to base, hauling their prisoner/rescuee (who seems to have lapsed into blissful unconsciousness.) Not, perhaps, as grouchy as the person who meets them when they arrive home.

"WHAT THE HELL DID YOU GUYS DO TO MY BABIES?!"

Base time! What are you doing? Who's going to talk to the prisoner? Who's going to try and calm down? And for that matter, who is going to calm down Amaka?

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

ORDER Base

"The Manticore is a rude child, much like its owner," sniffs Amaka, "But child it is nonetheless."

She surveys the damage with a more rational state of mind. "What on earth did you find out there?"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

ORDER Base

Amaka grabs her tablet and starts making a checklist of issues to look over.
"If you would be a dear and get me a coffee, black as night and sweet as sin for preference, I think I am going to need it."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

In The Hallway

"Mr. Skye, your commitment does you credit. But everyone who has passed me has looked rattled, even the usually unflappable Miss Kurita-Steiner. She barely even noticed my presence! I suggest you take the time to eat and get your thoughts together before your debriefing. After all..."

Cmdr. Tȟatȟáŋka Ská

The imperious looking AUG native nods to Cecil. "I will be conducting it. And I say that a debriefing of people too shaken to describe things properly is a fool's game. Get something to eat, son."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

In The Hallway
Cmdr. Tȟatȟáŋka Ská

The old man chuckles. "Stand down, son. The IG doesn't have quite the same standards and besides, by those standards I'm retired anyway." He strolls into the hangar. "I've got some news to relay to Miss Kwembe in private, so go on. Scram, get some rest. I'll be back for you soon enough."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

The Kitchen

The robot reaches over enthusiastically, takes an egg and...

Unintentionally crushes it between clumsy fingers. Whoops.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Dining Room

At precisely way the gently caress too early the next day, you are rousted from bed by a bored sounding Sibaal Quraishi. "Commander Ská requests your presence in the dining room. Be prepared to debrief."

Cmdr. Tȟatȟáŋka Ská

The Commander waits for you all to arrive in front of a fairly generous breakfast spread in an interesting Indo-Chinese blend. Once the room is full, he gestures for attention and begins to speak. "Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for coming. Please take care to face toward me when you speak so that I can understand you, and try not to interrupt each other, as I will neither care nor be able to follow."

He eats a curried egg. "First things first. Which of you wishes to give the after-action report? Objectively, please, we'll get to the rest afterward."

K Prime fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 16, 2013

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Dining Room

Cmdr. Tȟatȟáŋka Ská

The Commander nods respectfully. "Thank you, Ms. Tsugumi. Captain Abidam, I understand you interrogated the prisoner yesterday evening. What did you obtain?"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Dining Room

Cmdr. Tȟatȟáŋka Ská

The Commander does not looked shocked, or even perturbed. "Hmph. I see. Looks like 01 was right as usual."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Dining Room

Cmdr. Tȟatȟáŋka Ská

There is a slurping noise as Ska takes a long swig of something pungent smelling. "Mr Skye, I can promise you that your knowledge of the power of the enemy is the best we have right now."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Seruel

"My child, you know full well the power of songs. These strangers... they sing a song of pain. But the pain is one that binds, like the way a child clings to his mother, beat him as she may. Through the song their sorrows and their despair is coiled together as one would wind a rope... it is a difficult thing to break. Many sorrows are like many arrows; try as one might, you cannot shatter them over a knee."

A pause.

"But one can resist. It is hard, and it requires a strong, worthy mind. Everyone in this room has such a mind, whether they believe it or not. That is, in the end, why they were chosen..."

Cmdr. Tȟatȟáŋka Ská

Ska nods. "Which is exactly why we consulted your previous host, milord."

K Prime fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 17, 2013

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Cmdr. Tȟatȟáŋka Ská

There is a brief moment of silence from Ska as he assembles his words. "Mr. Castle, I understand your irritation with Ms. Kurita-Steiner. And Ms. Kurita-Steiner, it would do you a fair bit of good to be a little less abrasive with your conduct toward your comrades. The morale of this base must be maintained, or we are all doomed, including your family."

He rubs his head and faces Harriman fully. "However, you are stuck with each other, do you understand? Strategists by nature have to learn to think like their enemies, and we're afraid if we learn to think too much like this one they will... switch sides. Ms. Kurita-Steiner's abrasiveness and arrogance is the shield that keeps her from that devastation, Mr. Castle. I suggest you both sit down afterwards with Mr. Ming at some time later."

In response to a questioning glance he pauses. "Oh right. Mr. Ming is your new base counselor. It took us some time to find one that could be trusted in the face of the possibilities, but find one we did."

He steeples his fingers. "In any case, as to the rest of your questions, there will be no MHC infiltration mission. Not from here. We have other resources dedicated to probing the extent of this... infection, and if you left your posts for any significant length of time a surprise attack could be disastrous. However, we do need someone to investigate Jerusalem itself. We have no confirmation that there are infiltrators within the Thrice-Holy, but there is a risk, and the city is your charge. Are you up for it?"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Cmdr. Tȟatȟáŋka Ská

Commander Ska indulges the team's silly argument, smiling slightly. Everyone is looking more like a cohesive team already.

"Work out your cover, team. Personally I'd suggest against the romance- too easy to probe for anyone with sense. In any case, I can see you're interested. I'll make the arrangements for inconspicuous vehicles, and I'll have a copter waiting if you need to be rushed back."

Less than an hour later, your team is in a small convoy of nondescript sedans, headed for the outskirts.

The city is completely open to you- where do you want to go? Name a landmark or even something like "police records" and come to an in-character consensus.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Please excuse lack of themes and pictures, rather limited in my ability to update, please feel free to provide your own!

Alexander and Tsugumi

There is a minor cascade of old man swearing and shuffling, and eventually a weathered face opens the door. "Who the- my god. Abidam! Alexander Abidam, as I live and breathe! What brings you to visit ol' man Van Volkenburg all the way out here? Ah, where are my manners! Come in, come in! And what I assume is your young lady, at last! Do introduce us!"

Lenore

The shrine where the scrolls are kept is silent, except for the scratching as the young lady behind the front counter busily writes down something or other. She does not appear to have noticed you yet.

Cecil and Teresa

The market district is busy, full of the shouts of vendors and the playing of prerecorded ads for everything from fine clothes to, in quieter, off-alleys, more illicit goods. Where does Teresa even begin? There's just so much to look at..

Castle and Levi

As the two approach the city center, they are accosted by a large crowd heading toward an open spot in the middle of an intersection- a green. In the middle stands a man, clearly shouting something. As they approach, they hear him more clearly. "Repent! The end is nigh, brothers and sisters! Nothing can stop the return of our LORD!"

K Prime fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 22, 2013

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Alexander and Tsugumi

The old master sits, all trace of the silly old man in his demeanor gone. "Boy, that is a serious thing to be asking." He steeples his fingers and rests his head on the back of them. "I can't think of anything obvious... But that's the rub, I guess. If they're as smart as they seem they wouldn't do obvious." He stands and starts pacing. "Anything more specific? A sign, a tell?"

Lenore

As Lenore reaches for the scrolls, she is intercepted by someone. She whirls to see the receptionist staring daggers at her. "It is generally considered polite to ask before barging in and looking at sacred artifacts. What do you want here? To steal?"

Teresa and Cecil

The bickering pair progresses through the streets to a discreet side corner with a elegant and tasteful sign: Joseph's. A doorman in a very fine suit opens the door to let them in. Inside are a smattering of select clientele- dignitaries, ambassadors, and the like. The smell of old money is rich in the air.

As the two walk (uncomfortably, in Cecil's case) further in, they hear snippets of conversation...
Roll an approach to eavesdrop without being tossed out for being rude. It's that sort of store.

Harriman and Levi

The preacher doesn't stop his rant as they get closer. "THE SIGNS AND PORTENTS ARE IN THE AIR! THE TRUMPS WILL SOUND, THE PROPHETS WILL RETURN, THE JUDGEMENT OF GOD IS UPON US! HIS SONG IS HEARD THROUGHOUT THE LAND, ANNOUNCING HIS WRATH..."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Alexander and Tsugumi

Van Volkenburg collapses back into his chair. "Boyo. I know I can trust you, lad, but I need to have your absolute word, and more important the world of the young lady, that what I am about to say will not leave this room. Swear it to me on your life, your sword, and the will of god."

Lenore

The clerk softens, slightly. "I'm sorry miss, but you have to sign in and leave your contact information before you can look at the scrolls. Just in case. We'd be less anal about it but we've had some unfortunate incidents recently and we're being extra cautious."

Teresa and Cecil

Teresa catches the notoriously lecherous PRA Cultural Ambassador Narcisse Mukembe on one of his shopping trips. While from his words its clear where his attentions are really focused, he lets a few things slip. Namely, that his counterpart in the MHC has been missing for a few days. Mukembe doesn't care much, seeing as it's more time he can spend idling about Jerusalem, but it is suspicious...

Cecil's absorption is taken as interest by the attentive and well-versed clerks. Soon he is drowned under a barrage of facts about cloth and cut he will never remember and doesn't understand, but in between the babble a set of fact emerge as the clerks mention previous customers. Almost everyone who has used the shop in the last month or so has been foreign. None of the usual dignitaries from within the MHC have been in, which is unusual to say the least...

Harriman and Levi

The preacher is a very average sort of man; middle build, middle height, brown hair and eyes and skin. His clothing is elderly and rough, but well washed and cared for. From all appearances, he's just another street preacher, except...

The size of the crowd is totally disproportionate to the usual street preacher crowd. It's nearly blocking the street. And as you get closer, you realize in between shouts the man is humming something, something that gnaws at your ears worse and worse as you get closer.

Do you want to get closer to this, or retreat and consider your options?

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Alexander and Tsugumi

A bushy white eyebrow is raised. "Lady, I thought if you were smart enough for my boy here to bring you along you'd be smart enough to understand the difference between what I am asking you to swear not to reveal, and what you can. Then again, I've always been against children fighting in wars. If you're not comfortable keeping this under your hat, then the door is over there."

Lenore

The woman looks carefully at the information. "Of course, Ms. Santiago. Go with god."

The scrolls sit under glass, stretching out into a large room. 972 of the things, each taking up a case by itself in the emptiness. The hardest part will be where to start. The bible fragments, in case there's some code or piece of information missed in the standard translations? The pre-gospels and aprocrypha? Or will Lenore just let God decide?

Teresa and Cecil

The two make their way toward the embassy (though not before Teresa purchases a few things. No point in wasting a trip to Joseph's.) Upon arriving outside, they both immediately notice something amiss; the guard numbers are twice what they should be, at least. It's going to be a mess getting in...

Harriman and Levi

The preacher looks at Harriman. Suddenly, there is a look of stunned recognition on his face, and he turns and runs for it, changing the tone of his humming as he goes!

The crowd suddenly boxes Harriman and Levi in, doing them no harm but "accidentally" preventing them from getting anywhere.

Crowd acts as border:4.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Alexander

Van Volkenburg holds his glare until Tsugumi leaves, then breaks into a smile. "Feisty young'un. I can see why you like her."

His smile drops. "Now for the reason why it's just you and me. Answer me this: Do you think everyone in the HJS is blind?" He looks Alexander in the eye. "I am here because there are... some of us who have seen what you clearly have seen, mostly retired folks or people who made the wrong friends and got shunted to the middle of nowhere. We're curious to see if the MHC is in similar straits or not."

Tsugumi

Her phone shows her that she is in perfect position to intercept, if the target keeps going in a straight line. Due east is the direction.

Lenore

"And I saw that a white bull was born, with large horns and all the beasts of the field and all the birds of the air feared him and made petition to him all the time. 38. And I saw till all their generations were transformed, and they all became white bulls; and the first among them became a lamb, and that lamb became a great animal and had great black horns on its head; and the Lord of the sheep rejoiced over it and over all the oxen."

The book of Enoch. Not a text most people cared to read or considered canonical.

Teresa and Cecil

The pursuit is going east to west, but Teresa rapidly plots a path and realizes that if they hurry they might be able to cut him off. It'll be close, but they might just make it.
Roll +Quick

Harriman and Levi

As the cowboy and the scientist force their way out of the crowd, they see the preacher running like hell down the street, shoving people left and right as he goes! The good thing is, the infernal humming has stopped- perhaps he's running out of breath?

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Alexander

"My son, while I am glad that you are no longer in the dark..." Van Volkenburg pauses, considers his words, seeing the indecision lurking in Alexander's gut. "Quit fretting about that side of things." The old man stands up. "That is what old men like me and mine are here to worry about. Politics, backstabbing, subversion; those are not your nature. You are a warrior, young man." He stands and offers Alexander a hand. "Now go out there and defend these people. I know you can."

Everyone else

The drawstrings begin to close on the fleeing preacher, Seruel "arranging" things so that Lenore arrives in time. And then, as these things do, much happens at once...

Everyone roll an approach for your final action as the multiple lines of pursuit collide. The height of your success will determine whose actions go off first, and to what success.

Things are about to get
slapstick.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Alexander

"Then go, boy. Leave the worrying to us old groundpounders, and take flight."

Everyone else

A lot of things happen at once.

The preacher careens straight toward Tsugumi's makeshift trap, a contraption of ropes designed to snare him long enough for the others to grab him- unfortunately, at exactly that moment Lenore comes speeding out of a convenient alleyway toward the fleeing man. Seeing her coming, he twists right, catches the edge of the twanging rope, and slams into a fruit cart (which you'd SWEAR wasn't there a moment before.) Still gamely struggling, he redirects toward another alley, only to see Teresa moving (it's hard to call her speed running at this point) toward him. He turns to see Levi and Harriman closing fast, the older man still outrunning his younger counterpart, so he clambers over the fruit cart- only to run directly into Cecil, who tackles him backwards just as the others all catch up.

There is an unholy squishing noise as the entire struggling group collapses back into a pile of spilled fruit, leaving Teresa and Tsugumi sprayed with rogue juice and pulp and everyone else in a rather dazed pile on the ground.

The crowd begins to applaud, mistaking it for some sort of street theater, except for one very irritated fruit merchant, who appears to be screaming about his dates.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

The preacher's head lolls- the collision has knocked him out for the count. The crowd, after tossing some coins and a smattering of business cards, disperses- So when Alexander catches up a few minutes later he sees only a bunch of fruit stained and bruised team members who have clearly been waiting for him for a while...

And one, still fuming fruit merchant, who has accepted the money with bad grace.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Teresa's plan works, and all of you manage to haul your prize into a nondescript car and be gone before the police finish taking the statement of the still fuming fruit merchant. It may be a good idea to lay low for a while, but a least you accomplished your objective...

The preacher remains a mystery to the medical staff, who profess there is no reason for him to still be unconscious. A few days pass. Commander Ska moves on. Swords are finished. Repairs are made. The HJS "prisoner" is revealed to be one Captain Monet (no relation) and, after a full psych eval, is given the run of the nonsecure base sections. He finds being able to move under his own power somewhat soothing.

Everyone remains just the littlest bit tense, though.. when will the next shoe drop?

Available for your upgrade use: +1 to each approach, and one new stunt. You may only have one, and once taken, that upgrade is no longer available to the others. Choose wisely.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Episode 2: The Compound of Doom! The Squad Drowns In Sorrow!

Everyone is dreaming. It's a strange dream, full of vague images and terrible, screeching noise, but somehow everyone can feel the menace behind it. It means nothing, but creates fear nonetheless...

failure
plan has
mistake to trust
cut off
never to sing
never again

It's 4am when the preacher awakes again, a full week after the collision. Everyone is immediately alerted, however, by the keening scream that echoes through the halls. The scream is rapidly cut off and replaced with a muffled moaning.

You've just been awakened.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Seruel

"I felt no disturbance, child. As far as my power can reach, you are safe."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Kenisha Mukembe

"...What's going on down there?" responds an unfamiliar voice. "I've received no indications of trouble up here."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Kenisha Mukembe

"Guards..." There is a pause. "Cannot be raised. They're due to check in in a minute, which is when something would have popped up on the monitor in front of- why am I wasting our time on explanations, get going!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

The Medbay

As Lenore bursts in, they find pass the two guards, unconscious but apparently at least unharmed, lying at the door. Just inside, they find Captain Monet, holding a pillow firmly over the mouth of the struggling preacher. Well, that explains the moaning, at least.

He looks back at you as you enter. "About time! Someone get a proper gag or something!"

• Locked thread