Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Levi Atkinson

"Well, land sakes." Levi watches the briefing screen flip off and switch back to a nice relaxing feed of an aquarium complete with smooth jazz. "Guess we gotta make ourselves extra comfy down here, huh?"

He lays down a tray of club sandwiches on the table, one for each of the fine folks in this room. Didn't take that long to scrounge that up with how well-stocked the pantry was. "Help yourselves, folks." Levi grabs one of his own sandwiches and just chows down straight away.

"Man, did y'all saw the fancy bar they got down here? Velvet floors and old style vintage class. Plus I'm pretty sure they drat near have every sort of drink an' spirit you can name in all seven blocs." Good for morale, probably. If this is the apocalypse, they better enjoy the smaller things while they can.

"My name's Levi, by the way. Levi Atkinson of Texas Tech. Pleasure to meet y'all."

quote:

Levi Atkinson

High Concept: Slow And Steady Cowboy
Trouble: Makin' The Ol' Doc Proud
Aspects: More Metaphors Than A Cactus Has Spines; Ah Got Just The Thing To Fix That

Approaches
Careful +4
Clever +2
Flashy +2
Forceful +1
Quick +1
Sneaky +0

Stunts
Easier Than Shooting Prairie Rats Back Home: Levi can add +2 to Carefully Create Advantages if he's aiming from ridiculous distances.
Robotics Engineering Sure Paid Off!: After a bit of tinkering time in the hangar, Levi can give a suit he's riding Armor: 1 against physical attacks (And only if he rides it!).

RX-83K "Gunslinger"

Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEwdLH1MBU0
Aspect: Texan Science, It Works (Sometimes); Zoom In... Enhance! Enhance!; Ten Thousand Meters Is The Killing Zone
Power Source: "Borrowed" AUG Fusion Core Prototype

Powers
Virtue of the Wind God: Gunslinger can attack an entire zone after Levi sets up the targeting parameters for the artillery salvo (ie. Carefully Create Advantages).
Long Shot: Twice per battle, Gunslinger can perform a Weapon: 1 Careful Attack regardless of zone range.

Signature Attack - Southern Style Barrage

Mitama fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Levi Atkinson - FP: 5

Levi watches the conversation a bit while he eats his sandwich.

Sandwiches he made entirely out of love, toil, and turkey, Teresa. You can't leave good sandwich-making to robot chefs.

"I take you ain't seen the walkin' alien busters they brought for this here project?" He would tip his hat at Cecil, but it's rude to wear one indoors. "Some of them do fight on grit alone. I do think we don't have enough folks around here," He recalls his own support team in the form of Texas Tech. He wonders if the Doc and everyone back home knows where he and Gunslinger are right now.

"But I also reckon that Command knows what they're doing. They ain't just us gonna make us dodge a mad bull on a rodeo with our legs tied together."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"That sure as heck ain't right." Levi takes another bite of his sandwich, though focuses on the enemy's approach on screen. "Maybe we oughta hail 'em?"

Mitama fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 6, 2013

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Sure thing." Levi grudgingly agrees. He didn't bring in Gunslinger to fight other nations, byt these gits sure do look up to no good. And the worst they can do is sit around and make this MHC's problem, false flag or not.

He finishes off his sandwich and washes it down with a glass of water. "Let's try to flag 'em when we get there, at least." He says, moseying over to the hangar. "We don't have to make this messy, we're supposed to be fightin' aliens."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Levi enters the hangar with the same purple and gold-trimmed suit he wears in combat training, only with IG markers in place of Texas Tech ones. Nothing fancy, just a good zero-g suit with a long history. He puts on his black cowboy hat, slaps his interface goggles to turn them on, and looks up to the giant, stompin' arsenal they call Ol' Gunslinger.

"Boy howdy." He says in a nervous breath. "This is it." He takes the elevator ride up the pilot's cockpit.

"Let's get ya ready, pardner." Levi jumps into the seat and flips open a number of brightly-colored switches in sequence. "Diagnostics, go. Booting up... Fusion Core's powering up to full. Ringside plasma cannons, check. Secondary gun cannons, check." As if to respond, Gunslinger's cannons whirr here and there to confirm their trackers work. "I hear ya. Okay... what about uplink?"

A web of screens pop up in a 180-degree arc. Aside from the usual mecha stats, ammo count and other critical data, it also starts to bring in multiple visual feeds from a pirate satellite orbiting over Neo-Jerusalem. The HJS Crusaders come into full view on the largest screen.

"There you are." He grits his teeth. "Everything else looks in order... recording and tracking devices, check." Too bad he can't send this data back to Texas Tech. Security reasons, he understands. "Main structure, check. Internal dynamos, check. Fusion Core... powered up. We're A-OK here."

After he inputs final adjustments on his keyboard, Levi grabs one of the many, many switches and levers in the panel. He grabs on two of them and pushes them forward. The robot starts to move. Or more appropriately, it starts to stretch its back for a moment before it decides to move in formation with the rest.

He presses his intercom. "Done saddlin' up here. Gunslinger's ready to go out."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Yeehaw!"

Levi takes a moment to enjoy the rush of flying recklessly in the air until he realizes that, uh, yeah. Yeah, he should probably turn them on. He pushes a switch that engages the low-flight boosters on his mecha's hips and feet.

The Gunslinger slows down it descent until it just barely skims over the ocean surface, still making good speed.

"This bronco's in flight." He announces on the intercom. "Always wanted t'say that. Still any chance we can contact them Crusaders?"

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Cecil's got a point." Levi's frown doesn't transmit over the radio waves. "If this were a set up, you ain't the least bit curious on who's orderin' them around?"

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Are they all really takin' theology lessons from each other right now? Levi reckons that's what Neo-Jerusalem does to a fella, but still.

"drat." He says, focusing his tracking systems. "Just call me up when we're in short-wave range."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Watch it, pardner!" Levi calls out. Gunslinger's sensors tell him that none of the shots hit Cecil's craft though, incidental fire at worst. These gits really just want to shoot things, don't they?

"Are we in range yet?" He says as he prepares the plasma. "Try to radio them!" It sounds less than a good idea at this point, but he's nothing if not stubborn.

(7:59:25 PM) TurninTrix: !r fudge+1
(7:59:27 PM) Krysmbot: TurninTrix, /-/-+1 = -1

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Guess negotiations aren't happening anymore. Levi sighs, adjusts his hat and prepares to engage the enemy. If they varmints won't talk to them over the air, they can talk hog-tied with a horse dragging them straight to jail.

The front liners fly up ahead to harass the enemy. Gunslinger pops out the sensor array in front of his chest and prepares to do what he does best.

"Heads up, Channeler." Levi buzzes a message to Lenore. "I'm setting up my guns to light up the enemy's approach in say, 30 seconds. Don't stick in that spot too long, these shells come down hard." He taps into his keyboard and paints the target area. The Gunslinger's cannons adjust for trajectory and the computers predict the enemy movements for maximum effect.

Even if Levi would rather use these on some aliens, he can't help but wonder how well they're gonna work on their first real shootout.

Carefully creating "Area Zeroed-In" on the second zone from the left + stunt: ++-+ +5 = 7 Guess that's a success with style. Also moving forward one zone.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Dang it." That flower viewin' show just messed up his curtain fire real quick. But Lenore got to use some of Gunslinger's power at least, so it ain't all bad.

"Plan B, then." Always good to come with a backup plan, even if it just means "fire everything at some mechs". All of Gunslinger's arsenal realign for direct fire, while its main screen flickers a dozen times to zoom in the fray on the far side of the battlezone. Levi focuses several crosshairs floating wildly on the screen until they line up dead on to a trio of mechs.

"Come on pardner, show them we can pull our weight too." The ring of plasma cannons charge up to full until they reach their final stage. "Draw!"

A ring of plasma lines streak over the ocean, close enough to the frontliners, and cuts through the pack of Crusaders.

Calling my Long Shot power, Weapon: 1 Careful Attack to Mook Group 3 (anyone Cecil's not attacking): +-/+ +3 = 4 Invoking Ten Thousand Meters Is The Killing Zone to add +2 for a 6.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 10, 2013

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Levi Atkinson - FP: 4

For a short bit, some awful banshee screaming blasts out of Gunslinger's feeds, sparking and driving the consoles wild. Levi shakes and covers his ears, until he reaches over to the "Blackout" switch over his head. With a flip, the noise stops and some chill country ballad plays over the speakers instead.

He flips on the sensors again once things look safe. Well, relatively safe, at least.

"Would you look at that, pardner." Levi starts accelerating his mecha's boosters closer to the fray. "Better help Her Majesty over there, and then we'll be baggin' an alien today!"

The fusion core in Gunslinger's chest glows a bright yellow-green, which cascades to the wheel cannons in a chain of wild energy. The Gunslinger braces against the surge of fusion energy, even as Levi inputs a dozen checks and programs to control it. When it comes to the aliens, he can't wait for a better opportunity to pass. He needs to take them down now.

"Yeehaw!" A flurry of high-powered plasma shots ring out of his cannons in clockwise succession, even more powerful than the last volley. If this doesn't do some damage, nothing will.

Flashy attack on Boss (or Mook 2, if boss is dead by my turn) -/++ +2 = 3. Invoking "Borrowed" AUG Fusion Core Prototype and Makin' The Ol' Doc Proud to boost it to 7. Also moving one zone to the left.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 11, 2013

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Levi Atkinson - FP: 2

"Not again!" Levi's barrage stops when the alien start to talk. Painfully. It does an even worse number of Gunslinger systems than the singing, not to mention his own ears. He can't even explain properly what's happening... it's like the fat lady and the bull's making a concert in the china shop. Everything's breaking down, even the Blackout switch.

"Keep calm, keep calm." He adjusts his hat again and starts to type down the standard shutdown procedure. He can take a headache, he can't let the Gunslinger's systems explode in his face. He does it methodically and as precisely as possible, leaving only what's needed to keep the boosters going. Once he tracks down the voice frequency, he diverts all power to reinforcing his armor against the noise.

By the time the noisestops, his entire cockpit goes dark. But Gunslinger's alive and in still in the air. And he can somehow hear the alien laughing while it no doubt tries to escape.

First and last time Levi jumps to bravado there. Even the Doc doesn't know the what aliens can do, how could he get so reckless?

Careful defense: +/// +3 = 4, taking 3 stress.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Levi Atkinson - FP: 2; Stress: OOX

"Levi Atkinson here. Gungslinger took a bit of a beatin', but we're alright."

The systems boot up again and the web of screens return to full view. Just as he expected, the alien got away, no signs of its presence anywhere. He can't even get a properly trace of the energy signature that's beeping on his sensors. A portal, was it? It just appeared for a moment, and vanished just as quick. Nothing else after that.

He records as much about this phenomenon as he can, using all the tools in Gunslinger's arsenal to figure out what the aliens use for that kinda power. IG needs data stuff like this to figure out the enemy's capabilities. And if they can't do it, the Doc certainly can.

"Yeah, let's get outta here." He says, after his work is done. "Maybe our guy there knows a thing or two."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Hey lady, can you cut that out?" Levi growls on the comms, mighty annoyed by now. "He just tried to save your head after that thing tried to crush yours, remember?"

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Wha..." Levi flushes beet red. "Why, I oughta..."

Well, he tries to think up of something witty on the fly, but it kind of just fizzles out when he needs it. He hates it when that happens.

"It ain't just the guns, Darlin', it's how you use 'em." He leaves it at that for now and just grumps all the way back to base.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Levi's elevator lowers down just as Alexander departs from the hangar. "Best to leave 'im be. He just went through a bad day." He shakes his head and steps out of the platform to Amaka.

He hands over a USB device. "If you got time, Gunslinger's gotta a payload of data from our first encounter there. Couldn't risk recording the sound attacks, almost blew my sensors apart, but I did get to catch their teleportin' trick of theirs. An' I tell ya, the portal just shot all my readings through the roof, even long after it went through and closed it. Power-wise, I don't know if the AUG's got anything that can match what it just did in a snap."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Just some scotch, Cecil." Levi nods. "Much as I wanna, let's not think about the aliens for 'bout... a good long while, maybe? I'll go whip up a nice meal for y'all, how does Shakshuka sound?" He saw it on a cookbook earlier and dang it looked so good. "I'm sure you fellas must feel mighty famished after flyin' a death machine for a while."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Oh!" Levi forces a salute himself over the obviously important-looking guy. Doc Friedman gave him this whole book of Military Stuff that he needed to keep in mind. Looks like he needs to read it some more, especially with all the protocol they gotta get through just to get something to eat.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Levi breaks into the kitchen and pantry and starts to work up something. Good thing he found that cookbook in one of the room, he found that fine and appropriate reading on a day like this. He's got the recipe in his head by now, but he could still use some help.

"Hey, you bots good at breakin' eggs?" He asks the little bobble-headed chef droids rolling around the kitchen. "Could use some help makin' this shakshuka. Need enough for a lot of people!"

Mitama fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 14, 2013

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"...Aaaalright, that might not work." Levi pauses and stares at its response. "Are... are ya cryin'? Oh, for... simmer down there, son, come on, simmer down. It's alright, really! We can figure out other ways for you to help, okay?"

Looks like his work is cut out for him.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Howdy, you two." The pilot bursts into the bar in his normal clothes again, carefully gripping a big pot of steaming-hot shakshuka with oven-mitt hands. "And... Her Majesty's here too, huh? Hey, there."

Four robots trail behind Levi, each of them respectively carrying a stack of bowls, a box of utensils, a tray of coconut cookies and brandy.

"So I think I got the dish right on the mark, but it seemed like it was missing some... spice. Tossed in some extra peppers, a bunch of jalapenos, sprinkled some meat. Just addin' a little style. Go ahead, dig in. By the way, did you know these robots can bake a mean batch of cookies?"

Mitama fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 14, 2013

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Kills?" Levi grabs a bowl, wishing for some alien kills to talk about. "Well, two of those crusaders in one volley. Woulda gotten more, but that flower show and all the frontlining ruined my artillery strike." He grabs the bowl. "My bad though, you guys probably didn't know what Gunslinger could do to soften 'em up. I ain't gonna make that mistake again."

His eyes light up though when Harriman and even Teresa compliment his dish. "Hey, if y'all liked that, maybe I can cook up something AUG-style some other time. Don't mind it, keeps the hands busy when I ain't tinkering with robots."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Levi pours a glass of scotch for himself.

"T'getting back at that singin' alien bastard." He joins Castle's toast, taking a sip. "It ain't gon' be easy, but like my Granpa Eli used to say 'fore he led the charge in London, we didn't sign up for this and expect 'em to just lay down in front of us."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

The second shot doesn't go down as easily as the first.

"Land sakes, Alex." He frowns, already feeling bad with sharing how his Granpa helped stomp London. "Maybe it ain't all that bad. If that's true, they probably couldn't already taken over ev'ry part of the HJS. They look advanced, yeah, but if they could just... dang, turn a whole bloc of countries into their side, they oughta just do that instead of playin' us like a game of Risk."

It's not a great assurance, but it's all he has.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Levi stands up and glares daggers at Teresa. All that good will and all his attempts to calm people down with food, and get them relaxed. All fouled up like the ground floor of a two-story outhouse.

"That ain't right, darlin'." He shakes his head and gestures at Cecil going nuts and Castle walking out. "Don't care about what your game is, what you're doin' ain't right." Levi doesn't lose his temper as badly as Castle does, but all this bullcrap starts to get to him.

He drinks his fourth shot.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"I'm with you, Lenore." Levi leans back on the counter to finish his seventh shot. It actually starts to get to him. "I really am. I just really hope that everyone else does when we make it out there again."

At least Cecil's okay, though. "Darlin's right about one thing, though." He nods grudgingly. "This war hasn't changed, but we should. I oughta make some changes to Gunslinger when I..." His head starts to spin. "When I hit a bed an' pass out, really. Good night, you two."

With a nod and a wave, he shakily steps out of the bar.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 16, 2013

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Mr. Atkinson," Says the console in front of his room, "A package was left here for you approximately three hours, twenty two minutes and 10 seconds ago."

Levi finds the package next to his bed, a large brown box with the TexasTech logo proudly on the side. As luck would have it, the box arrived to him while he went out to defeat the crusader earlier. On the top of the box, he pulls out a slip of paper addressed to his name.

"Dear Levi," He figures that reading it aloud will makes it easier for his drink-addled brain. "Sorry we didn't get to send this to you on time. Even the Doc doesn't get to know where IG stations your crew an' he never asks, he just makes sure you hear from us once a while. We're down here at the institute working on new toys for the Gunslinger. I'm sure you'll like 'em. For now, you get your real suit back."

Levi opens the box. And in spite of all the anger and frustration and drinking just earlier, he couldn't stop laughing for a good moment. There it was, the rodeo outfit that his team made him wear during graduation day, with all the fancy frills and bright colors and the most ridiculous pair of cowboy boots around. It even came with the sheriff-style badge that showed him at the top honors of the university, signed by Doc Friedman himself. Good memories, right here.

"We miss you already, Levi." He finishes reading up. "We don't know where you are, but we know you're fightin' for us. That bucket of guns can only do so much on its own. But you gotta come back alive, you hear? Signed, Esther." He grins at the last part. "P.S. Johnathan finally proposed to me. And I said yes. You're invited at the wedding."

He sets the letter aside and lays down to bed. "Well..." Levi takes a deep breath, looking at his badge gleaming in the nightlight. He doesn't know what he's doing, he doesn't understand his enemy, and he doesn't comprehend the scope of their war. But he still needs to come home at the end of this. There's people he needs to return to.

"Yes, ma'am." He mutters, slowly drifting to sleep. "Yes, I will."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Levi drinks some coffee and keeps to himself in one corner of the room. Too busy dealing with a hangover to deal with this bullcrap again.

He totally wears his TexasTech badge over his vest, though.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Levi snaps up at the sound of a police mission. He then looks at his badge. Time for this sheriff to check out his turf.

"I'm up for that, Commander." He nods. "Good for us know the people we're protectin', an' the other way around."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Why not?" Levi smiles at the Princess. "MHC's peaceful ground, plus it's the Holy City we're talkin' about here. I betcha all six of us together will blend right in with every other sightseer and pilgrim coming in and out of there."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Aw well, we could do it like they do it in the movies." Levi leans back on his chair, taking another sip of his coffee. "A lost fella with a wild Hawaiian shirt, a tour bus group that's pointin' and takin' pictures of everything, a couple going on their honeymoon..." He wistfully recalls the letter.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Not that I don't think you're mighty fine yourself, Cecil." He looks at Alexander. "But uh... I don't really know."

He better stop himself right there, before Darlin' makes another snide remark about his "longarms".

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Everyone sure latched on to it, though..." In truth, he doesn't really mind for once if Teresa shuts him down for a romantic sentiment going way out of proportion at this point. "I'm good with anything you guys want."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Levi dresses in looser clothes to fit with the local fashions here, since he doesn't want to look out of place with his usual attire. He keeps his cowboy hat and badge, though.

"I'll walk with ya, Doc Castle." He tips his hat. "Just 'cause my degree is in robotics don't mean I ain't got a good eye for infrastructure."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"I wouldn't be so sure, Doc." Levi nods thoughtfully. "I remember when my Granpa Eli told me about the time he saw one of these yellers back home in New Zion and it turned out the git also spied for the HJS. That was after we occupied England, Granpa went home after his tour an' went back to sellin' used cars. That's also around the time when he met Granma, so hoo boy, so you can imagine how it looked when that love triangle started..."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"I'm right behind ya, Doc." Levi ain't gonna stop Doc Castle if he wants to stir trouble, though he ain't gonna do that without a plan. Or an escape route, at least. A crowd this big, they better know how to handle it if things go wrong. He follows on the Doc, though his eyes wander all over his surroundings.

Carefully creating an advantage to study the crowd's movements in case they need to run (or cut off the preacher's escape).
(8:29:28 PM) Krysmbot: TurninTrix, +++-+3 = 5

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"What in tarnation... are ya hearin' that, Doc?" Levi plants his hands over his ears to no avail. "It's a bee farm going plumb crazy, just like yesterday!"

He looks around and no else in the crowd seems to notice the blasted humming noise. They just keep piling around the preacher, following on to the tune. Levi wonders if he and Doc are resistant to the effects 'cause of their little tussle last time. If that's the case, how long's that gonna last?

"I don't like this." He tells the Doc. "You heard what Alex said about their singing. If he's got the crowd in this deep... we oughta get outta here and call the others."

Self-compelling Slow and Steady Cowboy to strongly insist on the latter option.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Aw, heck." Levi can't believe he let the Doc go off on his own like that. What can he do, though? Someone needs to rustle up the others.

"Y'all can hear me?" He presses on his earpiece, broadcasting to his entire team. "If anyone's near the city center, we can use a little help. Some doomsday preacher's picking up a way huge crowd in here. I don't know if you can hear it through this ear dingy, but he's singing the way they did yesterday. These folks look like they're drawing into the song. Doc Castle's trying to distract him, but we're just making up a plan here as we go."

He sounds just a bit desperate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Aw, no you don't, pardner."

Levi can't wait for backup anymore. While sometimes you got to stare a bull down to show 'em who's boss, other times you just got to run up to take him by the horns. He mentally plans his route from earlier and bolts right into a sprint to weave through the flow of the crowd as they try to "dissuade" him from following. They drop stuff on his path, shove him, try to surround him with bodies. That ain't a coincidence.

"Doc, he's headed south." Levi radios to Castle, running as fast as he can. "I'll go after him on foot, try to go around an' head him off!"

Quickly Overcoming the crowd: ///+ +1 = 2. I'll invoke my Crowd Control aspect to make at a 4, which makes it a tie and perhaps lets me succeed with a minor cost...

Mitama fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 7, 2013

• Locked thread